PDA

View Full Version : Hope our three signings aren't the end of it

blueheeler1
23-07-2017, 04:06 AM
So far we have spent nothing. In fact there is still transfer money left over from players that have left.

Will we use it? Will we add to it? Will we bank it?

Watch yet another episode of "Nay, No, Never"

The Bedlington Terrier
23-07-2017, 06:25 AM
Five out and just three in and SD has openly stated he needs quality players coming in numbers for squad reinforcement.

1). Shay Given to replace Robinson as the experienced, veteran international goalkeeper.

2). James MCArthur to add experience and quality and reinforce the midfield department.

Both of those represent astute business IMHO and still leave lots of wiggle room for a couple of true marquee signings! :D

sinkov
23-07-2017, 08:36 AM
OK, we got three in early and it looked like lessons had been learned, but now there's less than three weeks to go, the tumbleweed is blowing down Harry Potts Way again, and BTs fleet of taxis is gathering dust.

I was hoping we'd seen the end of it, but I have this horrible feeling that the traditional late August Trolley Dash is on the cards again.

Primitive
23-07-2017, 08:54 AM
Linked with Phil Bardsley this morning.

sinkov
23-07-2017, 09:10 AM
Nixon seems to get up some people's noses, but imo he's generally spot on with our transfer dealings. So it wouldn't surprise me if Bardsley arrives soon.

thedonz
23-07-2017, 09:20 AM
We got the 3 in early because the circumstances were right . Leeds had no say in the matter with Taylor and Stoke and Swansea were happy to let Walters and Cork go and the players were happy to come. No complications.

The transfer market is normally complicated and that is why no further signings have been made to date.

Dyche is always honest with the fans when it comes to bringing players in
yet some don't listen to him.

I am happy with the 3 signings so far , a mixture of real future potential and Premier League experience.

I would be further happy with the signings of an experienced PL centre half .

My only unease is with the uncertain positions of Defour and Gray. I am sure Dyche knows where he stands with their commitment to the club.

sinkov
23-07-2017, 09:49 AM
The transfer market is normally complicated and that is why no further signings have been made to date.

It is complicated donz, but it always seems more complicated for us than most of the others. Of the bottom half teams we're going to be competing with this season only Palace have signed fewer than us, but they've only just appointed a manager, so inevitaby are playing catch up. And it's the same every season, we seem determined to play our first two or three games understrength and give the others a start, as we did with Swansea last year. There used to be the excuse that we just didn't have the money to be making deals early in summer, but that no longer applies, we're awash with cash now, but yet again kick-off approaches and we're still several signings short.

thedonz
23-07-2017, 10:10 AM
What I will say Sinkov, is that on the centre half position, with the club knowing months ago Keane was leaving, I will be disappointed if now that we have waited so long for a replacement, it isn't a quality signing .

My memory might fail me, but in our first promotion season under Dyche didn't we get the likes of Jutcjewicz, Sordell and Reid in pretty quickly. They were substandard because we didn't have the money. We do now and our signings are of much higher quality.

With a good quality centre half and Defour and Gray staying I would be happy to go now.

I haven't changed my mind about Gray , I would still like to see him sold. Unfortunately , any sale now might harm the club.

sinkov
23-07-2017, 11:53 AM
[QUOTE=thedonz;38595653]What I will say Sinkov, is that on the centre half position, with the club knowing months ago Keane was leaving, I will be disappointed if now that we have waited so long for a replacement, it isn't a quality signing .

[/QUOTE

I see it differently donz, Keane's replacement is already at the club, he has the No 5 shirt and l have no problem with that whatsoever, Tarkovsky has the potential to be even better than Keane imo, and this season he gets the chance to prove it. We do need another CB though obviously, just Kevin Long as cover for Mee and Tarko is asking for trouble, but I expect it will be someone from the Championship, also with potential, I'm not expecting us to sign a big name, or even a PL centre-half, just a back-up

The Bedlington Terrier
23-07-2017, 12:04 PM
It is fair to say four centre halves in the EPL are almost mandatory.

Mee, Tarkowski & Long can obviously all cut it at the highest level. Ward can also play at centre half and I would love it if either Alex Whitmore or Tom Anderson could break through.

Leave the money in the bank centre back wise and let's go for two explosive, game changing wide men.

That's we really need in my honest opinion.

thedonz
23-07-2017, 12:07 PM
I'm a little nervous about Tarkowski's ability to put in the required consistency of performance at this level.

He seems a little bit flat footed and casual at times to me.

If he can repeat his performance against Palace with Mee next to him ,regularly , then I will happily be proved wrong.

The Bedlington Terrier
23-07-2017, 12:24 PM
Donzy, I have a sneaky feeling that Kevin Long will be partnering Ben Mee as first choice.

He seems to me to have found his confidence, he is in the Irish team and playing alongside the cartel of Burnley's Eire internationals must give him a real chance of being included in SD's first starting eleven.

Either way, Mee is certainly good enough and I think both Tarks or Longy can do the job but it will be hard to replace Keane who apparently, is impressing just about everyone at Goodison.

sinkov
23-07-2017, 01:47 PM
He seems a little bit flat footed and casual at times to me.

He looks more reliable than Ben to me (no pun intended) OC, who invariably drops at least one ******* a game, but we'll see.

And for BT's suggestion, I really do think we'll see, because the chances of Long starting in front of Tarko are probably better than zero, but not by much, imo. One clue as to Sean's thinking is in the shirt numbers, if he was considering anything other than Tarko replacing Keane then Tarko wouldn't have got No 5, another clue is who he's put in the first team whenever Mee or Keane has been out, Tarko before Long every single time. Of course the pecking order can change but, barring injury, I'll go to the foot of our stairs if Tarko isn't our starting centre- half. And I live in a bungalow.

thedonz
23-07-2017, 04:13 PM
You're right about the number of mishaps that befall Mee , hope he finally cuts them out. If so he will be a real tower of strength which he normally is anyway to be fair.

We still need that new centre half chaps and he surely has to be number 1 priority over any other signing ?

army88
23-07-2017, 06:31 PM
Donzy, I have a sneaky feeling that Kevin Long will be partnering Ben Mee as first choice.

He seems to me to have found his confidence, he is in the Irish team and playing alongside the cartel of Burnley's Eire internationals must give him a real chance of being included in SD's first starting eleven.

Either way, Mee is certainly good enough and I think both Tarks or Longy can do the job but it will be hard to replace Keane who apparently, is impressing just about everyone at Goodison.

If Long is our thinking to be thrown in at this level we're doomed mister mannering doomed I tell you.

That's not a slur on Long tbh but it's a massive ask for the young lad that , and it would I think make Tarky leave.

I'm right behind Mee but he does have at least one a game in him , if he could irradiate those I think he'd probably have gone for more money than Keane.

We really need a real strong header of a ball to meet everything ( mee not the tallest ) and it's difficult to drop the responsibility on Tarky or Long
I think we do need an experienced centre back.

The Bedlington Terrier
23-07-2017, 06:44 PM
Not having this army88, Mee was totally outstanding last year and IMHO was equal to Keane.

SD's trick will be to pair Mee up with the best we have available and I think that will be Kevin Long!

Altobelli
23-07-2017, 09:48 PM
For me its Tarky and Mee, Long would have to come on a bit more.

The Bedlington Terrier
24-07-2017, 06:35 AM
Whoever SD has in mind I hope they grab the shirt, perform in the right way and simply grasp the nettle and become a major EPL star.

Be great for us and the player too! :D

army88
24-07-2017, 07:54 AM
Not having this army88, Mee was totally outstanding last year and IMHO was equal to Keane.

SD's trick will be to pair Mee up with the best we have available and I think that will be Kevin Long!

Bt I like Mee as much as the next man and he's as brave as a lion , none the less he makes some irratic decisions that cost us sometimes, as I said he wouldn't have gone under the radar if he didn't, we'd have lost him as well to a bigger club for a lot of money.
I'm happy he's here because the flip side is he also makes some outstanding tackles and interceptions etc , he might be more exposed this year we'll have to wait and see.

The Bedlington Terrier
24-07-2017, 08:03 AM
What worries me army88 is that we might just witness how good Keane was for us! I hope we don't miss him as much as I think we will. :s

sinkov
24-07-2017, 08:15 AM
What worries me army88 is that we might just witness how good Keane was for us! I hope we don't miss him as much as I think we will. :s

I've no real worries on this score, we have a team set up to defend by someone who knows how it's done. The organisation, the two banks of four, the fitness levels, all mean that playing centre-half in a Sean Dyche team is probably as good a gig as you're likely to get at this level of football. Whoever plays will be fine, I've never been impressed by Long but even he looked OK when he got his chance last season. Centre of defence won't be a problem, putting the ball in the onion bag at the other end is more my concern.

Primitive
24-07-2017, 09:02 AM
I agree with Sinkov!

The defensive star of our side is the system we employ, it would make most competent defenders look good. They're well drilled and get plenty of protection from the rest of the team.

That's not to say we won't miss Keane, but I don't think we'll miss him that badly. Tarkowski should slot in well and could well be the next one off the production line to go for big money.

The Bedlington Terrier
24-07-2017, 09:31 AM
Are you running a temperature Primitive? Never known you to be congruent with the Clitheroe charmer! :D

Primitive
24-07-2017, 09:38 AM
Are you running a temperature Primitive? Never known you to be congruent with the Clitheroe charmer! :D

Well it is very hot here in Tenerife!

The Bedlington Terrier
24-07-2017, 09:49 AM
Nice! I am taking the wife over for her birthday in February. Any recommendations? B)

thedonz
24-07-2017, 11:56 AM
I don't think the defensive star of our side
played that well in the final games of the season when Keane and Mee were sidelined. Some bad goals were given away. My stance is a little less complacent

Primitive
24-07-2017, 12:10 PM
Nice! I am taking the wife over for her birthday in February. Any recommendations? B)

Depends where you'll be staying. If it's anywhere near Adeje I can give you loads.

played that well in the final games of the season when Keane and Mee were sidelined. Some bad goals were given away. My stance is a little less complacent

We also gave bad goals away when Keane and Mee were on the pitch. It's not complacency, it's faith in the system.

thedonz
24-07-2017, 12:40 PM
We probably did, but not at the rate of at least one a game against bottom half clubs

sinkov
24-07-2017, 02:07 PM

We often agree me and Prim, it's just that when we disagree it can drag on for weeks. Anyway BT, when we're in agreement on something so basic....you've lost.;D

sinkov
24-07-2017, 02:18 PM

We conceded more than two goals in just six games last season, Keane & Mee were our CBs in all six. I have no worries about Tarko and Mee, and I don't think Sean has either, which is why they'll be starting, and we won't be spending big money on another CB.

The Bedlington Terrier
24-07-2017, 03:13 PM
Dyche obviously trusts Mee, he has played him enough. The big question is who will partner him?

Frankly I don't care, because I think either Tarkowski and Long are both good enough to play in the EPL!

I'm really looking forward to the new season and I think we will do very well indeed. :D

The Bedlington Terrier
24-07-2017, 03:15 PM
Depends where you'll be staying. If it's anywhere near Adeje I can give you loads.

We also gave bad goals away when Keane and Mee were on the pitch. It's not complacency, it's faith in the system.

Adeje is good. Recommend away please?

army88
24-07-2017, 04:00 PM
Dyche obviously trusts Mee, he has played him enough. The big question is who will partner him?

Frankly I don't care, because I think either Tarkowski and Long are both good enough to play in the EPL!

I'm really looking forward to the new season and I think we will do very well indeed. :D

I think the only difference this season Bt is who will do the covering , Boyd has gone and whilst he didn't deliver much at the other end he certainly broke up a lot of opposition attacks , the wide men remaining don't look to me like they will offer the same protection all be it we may create a bit more when attacking.
I hope I'm wrong but we could be exposed a bit defensively, maybe Walters will play wide one side and offer protection.
We need pace - width and a finisher imo or we could end up defending an awful lot this year. ( that will test your partnership theory )
What s interesting to me is that nearly all the other teams have / are buying and improving so if you take the relegated ones out from last season and add in Huddersfield / the toon and Brighton and then really look at the league again, we at this moment are probably in the weakest 2/3 , last year I'd have said that 2/3 was 6 or seven teams , the three that went Swansea us and Palace
And Watford .
We may get lucky and sign one or two more yet that can offer something different they could make all the difference. ( read today about Ramirez at Boro he might be interesting ).

thedonz
24-07-2017, 04:36 PM
One of the unknowns this season is how good Tarka will be alongside Mee. They are an untried combination and some think Tarka will step into Keane's position without too much trouble. I agree he deserves his place but for me, its fingers crossed . It took Keane a lot of playing time to adjust and he is the better defender for me.

A combination of Tarka and Long for any prolonged spell will get found out and bring relegation in my opinion.

A good defensive system is a big positive but will not stand on its own. It's good players being able to meet the demands of the PL that will make the system work.

I'd rather have an experienced central defender signed like one of the Dawson's coming in , more so than the potential of one like Lees.

Whichever way it goes, it would surprise me if the club transfer record goes for this position.

Let's see what happens.

sinkov
24-07-2017, 04:53 PM
I'm trusting the manager on this Donz, Tarka and Mee may be untried in public but Dyche will have seen plenty of them together down Gawthorpe, and if he thinks Tarko isn't up to it then he'll bring someone else in. If he starts Tarko, as I'm certain he will, it'll be because he's happy with those two together in the PL. And if Sean's happy, I'm happy, he knows the time of day that lad.

The Bedlington Terrier
24-07-2017, 07:38 PM
I'm joining Primitive and going with you on this one sinkov. Dyche played centre half and knows his onions, whoever he selects will do for me!

Primitive
25-07-2017, 09:21 AM
We probably did, but not at the rate of at least one a game against bottom half clubs

23 goals conceded in 18 games against bottom half clubs with Keane and Mee in the team. You do the maths.

Supersub6
25-07-2017, 09:54 AM
23 goals conceded in 18 games against bottom half clubs with Keane and Mee in the team. You do the maths.

Not sure where you get 23 conceded, was it not 17 in 17 matches against bottom half and also scored 17, picking up 22 points in the process?

Altobelli
25-07-2017, 10:23 AM
Sean Dyche still saying we are looking for 2/3 more players, hopefully he's looking at more and not wanting to upset present players as there is no mention of a replacement for Keane or a striker.

Garlick is on record as saying we will spend bigger than last time in this window, not happening yet it is.

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/burnley_fc/news/15431270.Sean_Dyche_targets__two_or_three_more__ne w_faces_as_he_seeks_competition_in_Burnley_squad/

sinkov
25-07-2017, 12:02 PM
I wonder how much depends on the Defour and Gray situations, are they staying, are they going ? Maybe the club expected to have the pair of them off the books by now but it hasn't happened, so it's all ground to a halt while those two situations are resolved.

Primitive
25-07-2017, 12:51 PM
Not sure where you get 23 conceded, was it not 17 in 17 matches against bottom half and also scored 17, picking up 22 points in the process?

You're quite right, I was including WBA and Bournemouth by mistake. But in my defence, donzy must have been including them when assessing Long and Tarkowski's performances in the last three games because it would be silly to base it on just the final game of the season against West Ham.

The Bedlington Terrier
25-07-2017, 12:51 PM
I do not think we can afford to be dogmatic in our transfer targets. We need pragmatism, flexibility and fluidity to deal with whatever situation is thrown at us.

Gray does not sound to me like a man hankering for a move. The supposed rift between Defour and Dyche looks to be healing.

Darikwa looks set to leave, Bardsley looks likely to arrive to take his place on the bench.

At present we need to replace Boyd and Keane and sign Shay Given.

No drama, no huge expense, no upsetting the core values of the group, it's just good business IMHO.

thedonz
25-07-2017, 04:09 PM
I think my point has been lost . In the last 3 games of the season I had Long and Tarkowski playing together at the back.

In each of those games we conceded sloppy goals either due to Tarkowski getting the wrong side of his defender or being flat footed defending balls into the box. Long was also poorly positioned for at least one other goal. I think there were 6 goals conceded in the 3 games.

That is too high a percentage of goals conceded through bad defending. Had they played together in the Palace I doubt we would have kept a clean sheet.

They are not a good combination in the Premier League. I raised my point to argue against the assumption by Primitive that our defensive system is our star defensive player. The evidence does not back this up. You can have the best defensive system in the world but if you haven't got the right players in it , it counts for nothing.

I think it's scratching around for a counter argument to point out that Mee and Keane made some mistakes playing together over the season. There is no comparison .

Norder
25-07-2017, 04:41 PM

We (Burnley) cant risk another season relying on defence and keeper - we just squeezed it the last time, so whoever we have at the back, we still need more up front.....so takes the pressure off us - by pressure on the opposition - them knowing we can counter with quality will lessen their attacks....and besides, that continual hammering at our door isn't just about the physical - it's mental strength too...trustworthy - game long and season long.

;D

The Bedlington Terrier
25-07-2017, 04:53 PM
Good centre back pairings are built over weeks and months. Stop fretting Donzy, let SD pick his first pair and let them get on with it?

We will be OK, we have a belting pair of full backs, a great goalkeeper and a fantastic midfield.

SD knows what he is doing! :D

sinkov
25-07-2017, 04:59 PM
I think my point has been lost . In the last 3 games of the season I had Long and Tarkowski playing together at the back.

In each of those games we conceded sloppy goals either due to Tarkowski getting the wrong side of his defender or being flat footed defending balls into the box. Long was also poorly positioned for at least one other goal. I think there were 6 goals conceded in the 3 games.

That is too high a percentage of goals conceded through bad defending. Had they played together in the Palace I doubt we would have kept a clean sheet.

They are not a good combination in the Premier League. I raised my point to argue against the assumption by Primitive that our defensive system is our star defensive player. The evidence does not back this up. You can have the best defensive system in the world but if you haven't got the right players in it , it counts for nothing.

I think it's scratching around for a counter argument to point out that Mee and Keane made some mistakes playing together over the season. There is no comparison .

Tarkowski and Long had just ONE Premier League start between them before those last three games against teams which finished 9th, 10th and 11th. They were PL novices thrown in at the deep end, yet they kept three decent teams to two goals each, something which even Keane and Mee failed to do in six games. I think it shows Prim is right, our system is the star.

thedonz
25-07-2017, 05:10 PM
Some people can't see the wood for the trees but it's all about opinion , and a little bit of pedantry , eh Sinkov . And we know that Primitive is always right, he's forever telling us. Will he forgive you for taking the glory from him 😂? Let's see what happens.

Supersub6
25-07-2017, 05:49 PM
Well that is another experienced signing to help us along the way with Phil Bardsley having joined the group

Norder
25-07-2017, 06:08 PM
Tarkowski and Long had just ONE Premier League start between them before those last three games against teams which finished 9th, 10th and 11th. They were PL novices thrown in at the deep end, yet they kept three decent teams to two goals each, something which even Keane and Mee failed to do in six games.

...and those were important games for us Sinkov - but teams were safe, 9th placed Boro (46 points), 10 th Brom (45) and 11th Wham (45) - Burnley 16th (40)...decent but not exactly top flight teams, and we took 1 point from all three games.
I suppose...we can hope this next season outside of the top 7 is as poor as the last.

;D

The Bedlington Terrier
25-07-2017, 07:05 PM
Battle hardened troops are in through the door, let's just get on with it?

Altobelli
25-07-2017, 09:26 PM
Battle hardened troops are in through the door, let's just get on with it?

Why the hell is everyone happy ?

We have got Walters who would replace Boyd.

Taylor who keeps Ward on his toes.

Cork who replaces Barton and the injured Marney.

Bardsley who replaces Darikwa.

We have yet to replace Keane, O.K. Tarky and Mee with Long in reserve who for me has to improve a lot, if Mee or Tarky get an injury or suspension for me we would be in the sh!te.

Its guess work that D4 and Dyche have healed any rift that may have gone on and the fact he only plays 60 odd minutes is still there, likewise with any upset with Gray's demands.

So for me we are lacking in Defence, Tricky Wide man, Attacker and obviously a goalkeeper, so as yet I don't think we are any stronger at all, just the same as last season with a light weight defence, not a lot of creativity and no potency in attack.

Again I'll reiterate what I said on another thread, Garlick stressed we would spend bigger than last time, not seen any of it yet.

sinkov
25-07-2017, 09:48 PM
Some people can't see the wood for the trees but it's all about opinion , and a little bit of pedantry , eh Sinkov . And we know that Primitive is always right, he's forever telling us. Will he forgive you for taking the glory from him ��? Let's see what happens.

Not stealing anyone's glory donz, if you check back it was Prim originally agreeing with my suggestion that the way we play makes it easy to slot in at centre-half. Prim just put it more eloquently than I did with his 'system is the star'.

Not sure why I should be accused of pedantry for giving my opinion on a msgboard, if I you think I was being pedantic that's your opinion, but I don't know any other way than to say what I think.

sinkov
25-07-2017, 09:54 PM
Again I'll reiterate what I said on another thread, Garlick stressed we would spend bigger than last time, not seen any of it yet.

You're right Alto, we must have £30m plus to spend yet, whether they intend spending it who knows.

thedonz
25-07-2017, 11:27 PM
I have still to hear anybody disagree with my opinion that Tarkowski and Long's poor defending cost us goals in those last 3 games.

What I think I have read is the suggestion that their pairing was not much worse than Mee and Keane , which made me laugh

Norder makes my point that these so called mentioned good teams we played against at the end of the season , were no such thing. We had a free falling West Brom at home, and two other teams that spent lot of time in the bottom half of the table and whose final position was boosted by playing against a Burnley defence that gifted them goals and 3 points.

Altobelli
25-07-2017, 11:40 PM
Keane was the main Anchor in our defence Donz, now he's gone we have IMO Mee who is the bravest man in Football that I have every seen, but Mee is prone to some bad mistakes now and again, Tarky is still learning his trade, some good fancy footwork at times but again learning his trade of which he has not had a lot of practice at to be fair, Long for me is the weak link although like Tarky has not had much game time (with Burnley anyway), so for me we have 3 reasonable not great defenders.

To answer your question Donz, I feel it does not matter whether we play Barcelona or Rotherham, if you are not 100% on your game or are not good enough your failings will show sooner or later.

Norder
26-07-2017, 01:44 AM
I have still to hear anybody disagree with my opinion that Tarkowski and Long's poor defending cost us goals in those last 3 games.

I took a quick look - Donz.

...and as I saw it.

West Brom....not scored in 5 games, Rondon - first goal in 20...Tark was in front of goal, did get the ball but didn't clear it....was that Long's deflection ?

did I say Boro???
Barnmouth ....Kings goal - Tark misjudged the bounce....was a minute after our equalizer.

Wham.....the Feghouli goal - made an obvious run - was unmarked and scored from a through ball/ flick on....that went past Long, who looked to be moving toward Fegli, but decided otherwise. When Ayew flicked it on, Tark was there. came in behind him but didn't manage to stop the pass... .

A total Pox....unthinking and undisciplined....slow and leggy.

Cheers.

army88
26-07-2017, 06:34 AM

...and as I saw it.

West Brom....not scored in 5 games, Rondon - first goal in 20...Tark was in front of goal, did get the ball but didn't clear it....was that Long's deflection ?

did I say Boro???
Barnmouth ....Kings goal - Tark misjudged the bounce....was a minute after our equalizer.

Wham.....the Feghouli goal - made an obvious run - was unmarked and scored from a through ball/ flick on....that went past Long, who looked to be moving toward Fegli, but decided otherwise. When Ayew flicked it on, Tark was there. came in behind him but didn't manage to stop the pass... .

Cheers.

Spot on that Norder, I'm a fan of Tarky but I think he needs time and would develop better with a experienced premier league centre back at the club.

It will be interesting how people on here react if we don't get a decent start and we concede some soft goals ---

I get that Dyche sees them train every day here's the But , but it's not against real quality and pace of the opposition teams.
I trust Dyche but would be happier with a centre back of quality alongside Mee and or Tarky --- long for me would still be a bit part player- learning of the others.

The Bedlington Terrier
26-07-2017, 07:56 AM
Crikey! Need to pop some enthusiasm pills down a few throats on here.

I do not understand why we have to spend "big" to bring in top quality professional footballers.

Bringing in Walters and Bardsley for an outlay of three million quid is really good business IMHO.

The money is available if all of the pieces fit together bringing in our targeted player.

We still need to replace Boyd but don't forget we still have Arfield to come back, who by all accounts has been on fire for Canada.

Anderson has been developed and groomed to play for the first team and like I have said on a different thread, I think he can make it.

No reason whatsoever to think an Eire international centre back is not good enough to play in the EPL and Tarkowski is one heck of a footballer.

Let's be H A P P Y?

Primitive
26-07-2017, 08:55 AM

...and as I saw it.

did I say Boro???

Cheers.

Now do it for the three games we played against the same opposition with Mee and Keane at the back (in which we conceded one more goal).

Supersub6
26-07-2017, 09:07 AM
The main problem with discussing what happened at the end of the season with the different defensive partnership is the fact that Mee and Keane had been playing together all season, whereas, Tarkowski and Long were suddenly thrust to the fore at the end of a PL season, not having played as a partnership at that level before.
I agree that the mistakes which have been mentioned were fairly basic, however, if they had known each others' game a liitle better, they may not have happened.

The Bedlington Terrier
26-07-2017, 10:02 AM
Most soccer coaches I know agree that a pair of centre backs and a pair of strikers playing in a 4-4-2 formation need at least six games in tandem to know what they are doing.

Let's give them a proper chance shall we P L E A S E ?

Altobelli
26-07-2017, 10:22 AM
Crikey! Need to pop some enthusiasm pills down a few throats on here.

I do not understand why we have to spend "big" to bring in top quality professional footballers.

Bringing in Walters and Bardsley for an outlay of three million quid is really good business IMHO.

The money is available if all of the pieces fit together bringing in our targeted player.

We still need to replace Boyd but don't forget we still have Arfield to come back, who by all accounts has been on fire for Canada.

Anderson has been developed and groomed to play for the first team and like I have said on a different thread, I think he can make it.

No reason whatsoever to think an Eire international centre back is not good enough to play in the EPL and Tarkowski is one heck of a footballer.

Let's be H A P P Y?

No need for any enthusiastic pills to be taken here BT, its like someone telling me its raining when they are p!ssing down my leg.

Bringing in Walters and Bardsley may be good business but they are stop gaps being 33 and 32 and not IMO improving the team a great deal or for the future.

Yes the money is in our hands so why the hell don't we spend it ? plenty of excuses in the past about this and that but even now with more money we have ever dreamed of sitting in the Bank, a great bank balance will not stop us leaking goals or help score them.

Arfield is not good enough, a grafter I'll give you, but some poor distribution, poor finishing and defensive work leave a lot to be desired.

Anderson being groomed BT ? We all know about Dyche and how he hates putting novice players (with the exception of O'Neil) into the team, having to travel and be in the squad, then a sub, then getting 10 minutes here and there, which is all good, but we need good players in their now.
Vokes is an international player, would you class him as a potent goal scorer ?

"Let's be H A P P Y" ? If you are happy with what we have now I'm pleased for you, but for me not a lot of improvement from last season which means more of the same this, if not worse, if we don't get better players in.

army88
26-07-2017, 10:48 AM
No need for any enthusiastic pills to be taken here BT, its like someone telling me its raining when they are p!ssing down my leg.

Bringing in Walters and Bardsley may be good business but they are stop gaps being 33 and 32 and not IMO improving the team a great deal or for the future.

Yes the money is in our hands so why the hell don't we spend it ? plenty of excuses in the past about this and that but even now with more money we have ever dreamed of sitting in the Bank, a great bank balance will not stop us leaking goals or help score them.

Arfield is not good enough, a grafter I'll give you, but some poor distribution, poor finishing and defensive work leave a lot to be desired.

Anderson being groomed BT ? We all know about Dyche and how he hates putting novice players (with the exception of O'Neil) into the team, having to travel and be in the squad, then a sub, then getting 10 minutes here and there, which is all good, but we need good players in their now.
Vokes is an international player, would you class him as a potent goal scorer ?

"Let's be H A P P Y" ? If you are happy with what we have now I'm pleased for you, but for me not a lot of improvement from last season which means more of the same this, if not worse, if we don't get better players in.

I'm with you Alto on this note , and before everyone jumps up and down I'm not a doom and gloom man for our season.

We really do have to improve the squad and that is the critical wording Improve.

I'm at a point where yes we are making signings but the great escape will be our season this year I feel unless we make better acquisitions, I like the idea of Taylor and I think Cork will do us a job tbh.

But I'm looking for something fresh and younger than Walters and Bardsley etc ( they may be ok short term).

Posted this before about if we are going to be progressive instead of standing still , at the moment I believe we are treading water and there is so much at stake, if we don't hit the ground running with more quality. I worry.

In Dyche We Trust
26-07-2017, 11:11 AM
Bring back Joe Gallagher is what I say!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thedonz
26-07-2017, 12:25 PM
Back to you primitive, give me the mistakes that Keane and Mee made in the corresponding games .

I think it's a fair point that it takes time for a new partnership to settle. Whoever plays together will be a new partnership . I would rather it be an experienced PL central defender than raw PL rookies. I don't have the same belief that everthing will be ok because we have a star system that will get us through.

Norder
26-07-2017, 01:48 PM
Now do it for the three games we played against the same opposition with Mee and Keane at the back (in which we conceded one more goal).

thought that would come :D

but as this is about what we have - not what we had...what would be the point ?

...but as Donz....go for it Prim. Go take a look - were the 13th,16th and 17th games of the season....two away and one at home.

;D

The Bedlington Terrier
26-07-2017, 02:14 PM
I fear for the effects of the meltdown on here after we fail to beat Chelsea, Tottenham, Liverpool or Everton in our first four away games. :s

Inserting asbestos into the keyboard as we speak. :O

exilecanada
26-07-2017, 02:55 PM
I fear for the effects of the meltdown on here after we fail to beat Chelsea, Tottenham, Liverpool or Everton in our first four away games.

Let’s look on the bright side. It wouldn’t come as a shock if we lost all four of the above away fixtures, at least they’re off the schedule so we can focus on picking up points against lesser quality teams.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHPOzQzk9Qo

;D

thedonz
26-07-2017, 03:08 PM
Yes, will be good to get the away fixtures against the Top teams out of the way early.

To counter the difficult away start , we only have Spurs and Arsenal of the Top teams at home before the end of the year.

Could we see the same pattern as last season?

All arguments put to one side we have a great season to look forward to . A couple of mouth watering signings would add to the anticipation.

sinkov
26-07-2017, 03:24 PM
I think it's a fair point that it takes time for a new partnership to settle. Whoever plays together will be a new partnership . I would rather it be an experienced PL central defender than raw PL rookies. I don't have the same belief that everthing will be ok because we have a star system that will get us through.

But we won't be playing raw PL rookies Donz, Tarko will be partnering Ben Mee, an experienced defender going into his third PL season. I think BT is unsettling some people with his idea that Long is going to be starting, I expect we'll be signing another centre-half, then Long will be back to where he belongs in the pecking order, at No 4, and hopefully we can forget about him.

Primitive
26-07-2017, 04:25 PM
Back to you primitive, give me the mistakes that Keane and Mee made in the corresponding games.

If I can be bothered after my hols I might, but the facts are that we conceded 7 goals in those corresponding games as against 6 with Long and Tarkowski.

Obviously I'd like us to replace Keane, if Long was to get many minutes this season I'd be worried, but I don't think it's a disaster if Tarkowski and Mee are our starting partnership in most games.

As for the complaints that we're not improving the squad enough, this time last year we'd only signed JBG and Pope, we're well ahead of that this summer.

The Bedlington Terrier
26-07-2017, 06:56 PM
I just do not get this we don't trust Long campaign.

He is big and mobile, strong and robust, two footed with a head like a rock, what's not to like? :(

army88
26-07-2017, 07:48 PM
I just do not get this we don't trust Long campaign.

He is big and mobile, strong and robust, two footed with a head like a rock, what's not to like? :(

No mention of football ability Bt , at centre back in this league you need a bit more than the above IMO

I hope if he does start he proves us wrong

The Bedlington Terrier
26-07-2017, 08:00 PM
You simply cannot be an international footballer if you can't play football! Long has the ability.B)

Please remember Kevin was side-lined for a long period with the dreaded knee knack?

oldcolner
26-07-2017, 08:55 PM
You simply cannot be an international footballer if you can't play football! Long has the ability.B)

Please remember Kevin was side-lined for a long period with the dreaded knee knack?

Played really well yesterday - give him a chance!

sinkov
27-07-2017, 12:03 AM

The paucity of decent centre-halves in Ireland doesn't make Kevin a better footballer BT, he's our 4th choice for a reason, the reason being he's not that good.

The Bedlington Terrier
27-07-2017, 04:34 AM
White flag time. I surrender and I'm coming out with my hands up. Don't shoot!

oldcolner
27-07-2017, 10:34 PM
Looking for a keeper?

As for Hull City, Ruiter’s arrival could mean that either David Marshall or Allan McGregor are set for an exit.