PDA

View Full Version : Backing the Manager

JamesMcClean
23-07-2017, 08:54 AM
This situation with David McMillan, the Irish striker, is getting to the crux of how a lot of supporters define 'Backing The Manager'. It's increasingly clear it would seem that this is a guy that RM has identified as a top target who has a decent record who should perform at the level required for where we are. His wages shouldn't break the bank and with Keatings now out for several weeks, his signing is rapidly increasing in importance. This on the back of knowing that we simply HAVE to get up this season and to do that we can't afford a repeat of last season and be playing catch up from the get go.

And yet, once again we're farting about, refusing to pay a paltry 5 figure sum and are prepared to wait until JANUARY, so we can get him for zip, running the serious risk of a small squad susceptible to injuries as already seen. ST is about to receive a GUARANTEED, non budgeted windfall of 600k over the next 2-3 seasons and yet still, after everything that's happened can't sanction a very small proportion of this to get this guy in (nor pay off phucking Donaldson while we're at it).

My definition of backing a manager would be releasing the funds to get this guy in if that's the manager's want(and which would still leave plenty for regular Club running costs). But it would appear that yet again, the Chairman's short term greed is superceeding everything else. LONG term, this Club simply HAS to be in the top flight and decisions have to start to be taken with this in mind. SHORT term pound signs trumping LONG term strategy is why we are where we are, but yet it would appear that phucking once again, this trumpet of a Chairman can't see this.

Tannadicebunnet
23-07-2017, 09:05 AM
Fans have backed united again in great numbers by snapping up season tickets , and Thompson once again looks set to take a dump on us from a great height. How bad is it if we can't afford 25 or 50 grand on a player. Truth is we can afford it but it appears Thompson doesn't want to spend any transfer fees this summer. It's almost as if he enjoys being a hate figure amongst United fans.

TerryTheTerror
23-07-2017, 09:06 AM
You are making a lot of assumptions about this proposed transfer here.

Arab 8010
23-07-2017, 09:11 AM
If we don't pay for him now I can't see us getting him in Jan. There will be bigger and better teams wanting him when he becomes free

arab81
23-07-2017, 09:18 AM
Terry the boys contact is out in October. I agree us mere minions don't know the fee the Irish are asking for but let's be honest it's no gonna be a shocking amount!. 2 seasons in a row now the club have set a season ticket target giving the big "back the team blah blah". 2 seasons that target has been met quite (amazingly) easily. Now it looks like he's gonna shaft us again, we need another body up front but now keats is injured it's essential.

GFLower
23-07-2017, 09:23 AM
[QUOTE=Tannadicebunnet;38595591]Fans have backed united again in great numbers by snapping up season tickets , and Thompson once again looks set to take a dump on us from a great height. How bad is it if we can't afford 25 or 50 grand on a player. Truth is we can afford it but it appears Thompson doesn't want to spend any transfer fees this summer. It's almost as if he enjoys being a hate figure amongst United fans.[/QUOTE
Any actual evidence that this is the case or are you just presupposing that this what's happening?

offshore_arab83
23-07-2017, 09:25 AM
You are making a lot of assumptions about this proposed transfer here.

no gonna be mega bucks is it ?

offshore_arab83
23-07-2017, 09:26 AM
i dont think we're even after him, the suns reporting it ffs

f ull of pish and wind

tHeArAb
23-07-2017, 09:32 AM
Seems to be a lot of fuss being made over a 28 year old architect playing part time football. Is he even worth a fee?

TerryTheTerror
23-07-2017, 09:35 AM
i dont think we're even after him, the suns reporting it ffs

f ull of pish and wind

Exactly. I'm not just on about the transfer fee, it's everything. It could easily be an agent driven story this.

ianharab
23-07-2017, 10:25 AM
Whether it's this guy or not we are interested in the point James makes is a valid one , between them Andreu and Murray bagged over 30 goals last season , that's a lot of goals to find and with Keatings being out its ***** we get strikers in the door , we have to go up this season and can't afford to be fannying about , the chairman must realise this , the fans have backed the team again but don't take us for mugs

Charlie arab
23-07-2017, 10:35 AM
Think we'll get a lot more goals from other areas this season so won't need to rely on the strikers as much as last season. Still need at least one striker and maybe another on a 6 month loan deal till Keatings is back to full fitness though.

deebuster
23-07-2017, 10:39 AM
Whether it's this guy or not we are interested in the point James makes is a valid one , between them Andreu and Murray bagged over 30 goals last season , that's a lot of goals to find and with Keatings being out its ***** we get strikers in the door , we have to go up this season and can't afford to be fannying about , the chairman must realise this , the fans have backed the team again but don't take us for mugs

We cant afford to fanny about. The Chairman by his deeds has been the architect of our downfall.

Its not megabucks, and so a gesture such as this would go some way to rebuilding the ruinous state of relations between the fans and the board.

SmedDUm
23-07-2017, 10:44 AM
Proceedings out there right now must be intolerable.
We don't know the half of it so we must be patient.
And Terry's right, there are a lot of wild assumptions going on.
Judge the squad at the end of August which is when we'll see who IS available.
Yes, Keating's injury has exacerbated things but we shouldn't panic, we've all had our fill of instant duffers, it's too Riski.
Again, we haven't a clue what's going on but what we do know is that it must be a minefield.

RAM1971
23-07-2017, 11:10 AM
United are probably the worst team in Scotland in recent years in getting value for money when buying players. Muirhead, Telfer, Murray, etc. Therefore I can understand any caution in splashing the cash for players. On the other hand the evaporation of income from player sales is extremely worrying.

JamesMcClean
23-07-2017, 11:13 AM
It's the principal of the whole approach that is the issue. When you read the following link - https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/sport/football/dundee-united/469994/dundee-united-boss-doesnt-expect-get-andy-robertson-cash-spend/ - it's clear as day that we're at the usual short term thinking nonsense once again. But as we know through harsh experience this is exactly the approach which resulted in the one fundamental thing that the Club absolutely must have to survive and prosper long term being lost - its place in the top flight. ST has too often made decisions at a whim without apparently thinking at all about what the effects of those decisions will be for the long term. It's true what they say that if you keep doing the same things over and over again, then you can expect the same results over and over again.

BudMill90
23-07-2017, 11:35 AM
Seems to be a lot of fuss being made over a 28 year old architect playing part time football. Is he even worth a fee?

Nail on the head. Think people need to chill out.

SmedDUm
23-07-2017, 11:46 AM

He may well be worth a fee.
Apparently the Jerry Kerr roof is beginning to sag.

ianharab
23-07-2017, 12:00 PM
Apparently flying about on Twitter Scott McDonald in talks

Charlie arab
23-07-2017, 12:04 PM
Be happy with that, he'd score a load with good service at championship level.

Giant_Jouster
23-07-2017, 12:09 PM
Those running our football club were taught a very harsh business lesson 2 seasons ago that resulted in huge budget cuts last season. In spite of implementing these budget cuts, even that was not enough to keep us solvent as a trading operation and we needed the working mans equivalent of pay day loans to keep us going. The fact of the matter is that those loans will need to be paid back before anything else, so I'd say that it is unlikely there is going to be any windfall going to the playing side of things. This season's budgets need to be strictly adhered to, as there will be next next to no income to the business of the football club through away supporters this season and the current financial year for the football club is only a matter of weeks old. Talk of speculate to accumulate with 5/6 weeks of the transfer window to go is far too emotional and we need to learn to urinate with the appendage we have; which is no that big, being a hardcore of what 5,500 supporters? To coin a JYM phrase, apart from the non stop bickering of 30 odd months, the support have been "magnificent" in turning up to watch United, so can we try and have a little bit of calm please? And if we don't come away from Inverness with at least a point, keep our fingers away from the button marked "meltdoon"? It's gonna be a long hard season ahead folks!!!

Sutherland Arab
23-07-2017, 12:10 PM
A lot of assumptions being made because of the constant mismanagement at board level.
Will continue as long as that baldy snake is at the helm.
Taking it how it is I feel we have made promising signings so far and a striker may be round the corner, whether that be some Irish guy I've no knowledge of or someone else.
However if we are struggling to beat Brechin/ Dumbarton etc and Ray puts Durnan up top cause we've nobody else! :mad:

offshore_arab83
23-07-2017, 12:23 PM
so can we try and have a little bit of calm please? Id say everyone is pretty calm, all people are doing is raising their concerns, nae meltdoons, yet....

Giant_Jouster
23-07-2017, 12:35 PM
Id say everyone is pretty calm, all people are doing is raising their concerns, nae meltdoons, yet....

Thumbs Up emoji........let's try and keep it that way then, marathon and not a sprint etc!!! We need to retain our home form from last season and find a cure for our travel sickness. If we do that, then we will be OK.

Chick A Saw
23-07-2017, 01:22 PM
Although i am prepared to accept there may be a very good reason that the right player is not about to step through the door, i cannot ignore missing out on the likes of Mikkelsen because of a small fee.

There is quite a bit of evidence that does point to a long line of managers not getting the backing they were promised when they signed the contract. If Quinn, Fyvie and Mikkelsen had been signed then that would show an intent that every level at Tannadice were pushing for promotion.

TerryTheTerror
23-07-2017, 01:28 PM
Assumptions again. When Ross County came in to offer Mikkelsen maybe he just wanted to play at a higher level. As to that we don't even know if we were in for him. May be nothing to do with the fee for him.

Arabs4ever
23-07-2017, 02:56 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again what do these transfer windows actually achieve? For me not being allowed to buy players up to transfer deadline day like a number of years ago has just left the fans watching pish if your team has been raided just before the close of one these transfer windows.

You can sign players if they are out of contract but getting them up to match fitness is another matter. I would say transfer windows are worse than the Bosman ruling. Until these transfer windows are done away with football imo will continue to short change the fans of smaller clubs.

You can destroy your season before it has even started if you have not concluded your transfer business. Here's hoping we're not caught short.

jjaflup22
23-07-2017, 06:59 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again what do these transfer windows actually achieve? For me not being allowed to buy players up to transfer deadline day like a number of years ago has just left the fans watching pish if your team has been raided just before the close of one these transfer windows.

You can sign players if they are out of contract but getting them up to match fitness is another matter. I would say transfer windows are worse than the Bosman ruling. Until these transfer windows are done away with football imo will continue to short change the fans of smaller clubs.

You can destroy your season before it has even started if you have not concluded your transfer business. Here's hoping we're not caught short.

Agree with all of the above. Transfer windows have ruined football for me.

ahlltanyirhide
23-07-2017, 09:23 PM
United are probably the worst team in Scotland in recent years in getting value for money when buying players. Muirhead, Telfer, Murray, etc. Therefore I can understand any caution in splashing the cash for players. On the other hand the evaporation of income from player sales is extremely worrying.

United got stitched up with Telfer, there is no way we would have considered him if the asking price was £250k.

As for Murray, he cost United £50K and more than repaid that fee and was exceptional value for money

Chick A Saw
23-07-2017, 10:15 PM
Assumptions again. When Ross County came in to offer Mikkelsen maybe he just wanted to play at a higher level. As to that we don't even know if we were in for him. May be nothing to do with the fee for him.

What if its not an assumption? The facts are there to look at that the Ross County manager gets a fair amount of backing, but our club with its 4000+ season ticket holders have to be looking at a lower level in the barrel.

We have got a pair of cracking wingers that need a target as they will not be able to win the league on their own without one! You also have to look at the evidence today and see that there is not enough of a squad even for the group stages of this cup, never mind a league campaign!

Ray and the team need some more backing!

RAM1971
24-07-2017, 05:44 AM
United got stitched up with Telfer, there is no way we would have considered him if the asking price was £250k.

As for Murray, he cost United £50K and more than repaid that fee and was exceptional value for money

United definitely got stitched up with Telfer. No doubt about that. Once bitten, twice shy and all that. It makes you very careful with the cash. United are not the DUP. Theresa May ain't going to throw money at us if we support the Tories.

As for Si. Opinion is very divided about his contribution to United.

There's no getting away from it. In recent times United's financial outlays for players (including those signed on loan or for free = wages/signing on fees, etc.) has been much closer to disaster than to success.

TerryTheTerror
24-07-2017, 05:54 AM
What if its not an assumption? The facts are there to look at that the Ross County manager gets a fair amount of backing, but our club with its 4000+ season ticket holders have to be looking at a lower level in the barrel.

We have got a pair of cracking wingers that need a target as they will not be able to win the league on their own without one! You also have to look at the evidence today and see that there is not enough of a squad even for the group stages of this cup, never mind a league campaign!

Ray and the team need some more backing!

The point I'm making is we have no idea or evidence about these transfers/rumours. Obviously we need to strengthen and I'd be hugely surprised if, by the time the transfer window closes, we haven't done so.

Logie_Arab
24-07-2017, 05:12 PM
Stephen Kenny confirms no contact from Dundee United for David McMillan

http://leagueofireland.ie/index.php/2017/07/24/stephen-kenny-confirms-no-contact-dundee-united-david-mcmillan/

lowlife
24-07-2017, 06:12 PM
A lot of the mess we are in is through backing the manager. We obviously got plenty money in through transfer fees and proceeded to back JMAC for a few years signing players and paying wages that were meant we were running at a large loss each season that has put us back in a mess now.

Unless its an absolutely nominal fee I dont think we should be paying money for players , especially at 28 who will have no sell on value. We should be able to find plenty guys that can do a job in this division without having to pay transfer fees.

offshore_arab83
24-07-2017, 07:49 PM
Unless its an absolutely nominal fee I dont think we should be paying money for players , especially at 28 who will have no sell on value. We should be able to find plenty guys that can do a job in this division without having to pay transfer fees.

Toshney transfer still bothers me...

lowlife
24-07-2017, 08:26 PM
Toshney transfer still bothers me...

Aye I agree. He did well at youth level and played for Scotland at all levels. Folk that know more about it than me think there's a player there , but I have barring a couple of games yet to see it . Obviously hope he comes good though and Ray has faith in him. Hopefully last season can be put down to injury him playing through it it after that.

We still shouldn't be paying 60k for a player. Thats an extra players salary for a year and given where we are money wise seems daft.

PUTAMADRE
25-07-2017, 08:40 AM
Murderwell have signed 11 players

have they sold 4K season tickets?

TerryTheTerror
25-07-2017, 09:00 AM
Are they in the championship?

Whitfieldarab
25-07-2017, 09:50 AM

A lot been said about ICT & St Mirren signing lots of players. Both humped at the weekend.

huntedbyafreak
25-07-2017, 10:30 AM

How many did they release?

lowlife
25-07-2017, 11:05 AM
Where are we at .. 9 signings so far and still looking for two more.

In fact its 10 if you include Watson.

JoePearson
25-07-2017, 11:49 AM
Where are we at .. 9 signings so far and still looking for two more.

In fact its 10 if you include Watson.

Who's Watson?

bobafett
25-07-2017, 11:51 AM
Who's Watson?
I presume that should be Murdoch but I'm only guessing.....

JoePearson
25-07-2017, 11:52 AM
If it's Keith Watson I'd be happy with that.

bobafett
25-07-2017, 11:53 AM
Me too but I canna see it!

SmedDUm
25-07-2017, 11:55 AM
Could be Mike for an insurance claim? :)

tHeArAb
25-07-2017, 12:33 PM
A lot been said about ICT & St Mirren signing lots of players. Both humped at the weekend.

Yip. Lower Scottish league and English u21 players. Both examples that have been used more than once on here when discussing our own signings. Just shows eh. Quantity means **** all.

offshore_arab83
25-07-2017, 02:03 PM
Who's Watson?

I wondered this too?

Danny_Dyer
25-07-2017, 02:06 PM
I wondered this too?

Guessing he means Thomas.

lowlife
25-07-2017, 02:36 PM
Lol, sorry folks, ..Nae idea where I got watson from. Thomas it is.

11 now with Mcdonald signing.