PDA

View Full Version : Liam Walker trialist - pending offer ?

Proudpie
23-07-2017, 10:19 AM
According to The Post
Anonymous against Forest
Grafter against Wigan
29 years old as well so not going to get any better or quicker
Is he any better than what we have ?
We need extra quality i.e. a ball player not another water carrier or destroyer.
Think the salary could be spent better elsewhere like better quality CB and CF
Thoughts ?

jackal2
23-07-2017, 11:09 AM
I agree.

And as I've said in another thread, whatever you think about the rights and wrongs of the decision to release Stanley Aborah, one of Nolan's comments was that Stan had bounced around a lot of clubs during his career without sticking very long anywhere. Liam Walker's career history (and age) is very similar, in fact many of the clubs Aborah played for were of significantly higher calibre.

I'm sorry, but you have to call it as you see it, and I think (Jorge Grant apart) Notts County's recruitment drive this summer has failed to achieve its targets and we're now looking for the scraps.

nw6pie
23-07-2017, 11:29 AM
According to The Post
Anonymous against Forest
Grafter against Wigan
29 years old as well so not going to get any better or quicker
Is he any better than what we have ?
We need extra quality i.e. a ball player not another water carrier or destroyer.
Think the salary could be spent better elsewhere like better quality CB and CF
Thoughts ?

Still think we're light in all the key positions. KN was willing to spend 100K on Noble, so why is he now happy with Walker, who sounds no better than what we currently have. I hope we bring a ball-winning midfielder in on loan while O'Connor recovers, because I can't see Thompson or Milsom not picking up injuries (Thompson seemingly only has to put a Notts shirt on to get injured).

That still leaves us needing two centre halves and a pacy forward (I'm assuming we won't bother with a replacement for Collin now).

The results in friendlies may not matter too much, but it sounds like we managed to throw away the game against Wigan yesterday - never a good habit. Even their manager said his team played like they never thought they could win (a hangover from relegation), yet somehow they did.

Old_pie
23-07-2017, 11:39 AM
What a wierd career - seems to do well then contract not renewed.

AH alluded to the fact that he was hoping for no injuries from yesterday's match as the physio was needed for a medical today (I presume the physio is alright!).

In KN we trust, onwards and upwards #faith #promotion. Get him on board and get the minutes in legs.

Bridg4d_Pie_
23-07-2017, 12:58 PM
Pre-Season Friendly's are exactly that in my opinion they are games designed to build the squad up for the season always have been always will be I think. Sit back and be patient that is the name of the game for me we are not dealing with the previous regime now we have someone in command who whether you thinks so or not appears to know what he is doing. In Nolan we have a bright young manager who has worked under Big Sam, and whatever you think about Big Sam Ref Notts, he knows what he is doing.

Just give them a chance Rome was not built in a day and when they walked in Notts were in ruins to almost the point of destruction, patience is I feel the name of the game at present.

Carlton_Pie
23-07-2017, 01:46 PM
I agree.

And as I've said in another thread, whatever you think about the rights and wrongs of the decision to release Stanley Aborah, one of Nolan's comments was that Stan had bounced around a lot of clubs during his career without sticking very long anywhere. Liam Walker's career history (and age) is very similar, in fact many of the clubs Aborah played for were of significantly higher calibre.

I'm sorry, but you have to call it as you see it, and I think (Jorge Grant apart) Notts County's recruitment drive this summer has failed to achieve its targets and we're now looking for the scraps.

How has it failed....the summer isn't over. I'd rather Notts go into the first game a few players short with potential to get more in, than panic buy and be light in quality but no room to add.

I also believe the players that have brought in are decent: Alessandra will be at brilliant Notts, a wide player with an eye for a goal who can also play behind the striker or up front. Hawkridge was very good in Vanamara, no reason he can't transition that a division up. Dan Jones: I wasn't happy with this signing but seeing him play, he is quick, 6 feet+ and better than Dickinson. Grant is...Grant! One of the best signings of any League 2 club.

If there were no more players added to this squad I'd guess we would finish 10th-14th due to a lack of quality at centre back. With hopefully a few more signings, that end of season prediction will be higher.

keldsyke
23-07-2017, 01:58 PM
How has it failed....the summer isn't over. I'd rather Notts go into the first game a few players short with potential to get more in, than panic buy and be light in quality but no room to add.

I also believe the players that have brought in are decent: Alessandra will be at brilliant Notts, a wide player with an eye for a goal who can also play behind the striker or up front. Hawkridge was very good in Vanamara, no reason he can't transition that a division up. Dan Jones: I wasn't happy with this signing but seeing him play, he is quick, 6 feet+ and better than Dickinson. Grant is...Grant! One of the best signings of any League 2 club.

If there were no more players added to this squad I'd guess we would finish 10th-14th due to a lack of quality at centre back. With hopefully a few more signings, that end of season prediction will be higher.

Spot on 👍

St Kitts Magpie
23-07-2017, 02:02 PM
Spot on ��

Whilst on the subject of trialists , can anyone shed any light on Pierce Bird , who by all accounts did well in the first two friendlies we had and we were supposed to find out what he was made of against Forest but hasnt been seen since?

jackal2
23-07-2017, 02:34 PM

You answer your own question with your last paragraph.

It's true the summer isn't over, and to be fair I broadly agree with your assessment of the players that have arrived, but the fact that we are two weeks away from the new season and we still haven't recruited two dominant centre-halves and a quality striker suggests we haven't landed our key targets, or worse still that we don't recognise the problem. I tend to think the first explanation is more likely, because these are key weaknesses in the spine of the team and I can't believe Kevin Nolan wouldn't know that. Faffing around with the likes of Liam Walker and Callum Saunders is like fiddling while Rome burns.

Carlton_Pie
23-07-2017, 04:59 PM
You answer your own question with your last paragraph.

It's true the summer isn't over, and to be fair I broadly agree with your assessment of the players that have arrived, but the fact that we are two weeks away from the new season and we still haven't recruited two dominant centre-halves and a quality striker suggests we haven't landed our key targets, or worse still that we don't recognise the problem. I tend to think the first explanation is more likely, because these are key weaknesses in the spine of the team and I can't believe Kevin Nolan wouldn't know that. Faffing around with the likes of Liam Walker and Callum Saunders is like fiddling while Rome burns.

Maybe we haven't landed our first choice targets, so what thats life and we have no divine rights over players

The season isn't over if we don't have all the players we want in by the first game. The club have a strategy of only signing players we 100% want and if this means they have to wait, so be it and the fans must be patient.

Freeman25
23-07-2017, 05:07 PM
I said on the way back to the car yesterday, it's a bit of a step down going from trying to sign a £100k player that was one of the best in the conference last season to a trialist nobody's ever heard of, surely we could find someone in between?

He didn't do much to impress me yesterday, the only times i noticed him were when he was losing the ball after a poor first touch or holding on to it for too long. He also had a cr*p shot on goal that I can only hope was with his weak foot.

Bohinen
23-07-2017, 05:17 PM
The club have a strategy of only signing players we 100% want and if this means they have to wait, so be it and the fans must be patient.

Fair enough, so why are we looking at signing Liam Walker?

Elite_Pie
23-07-2017, 06:27 PM
I said on the way back to the car yesterday, it's a bit of a step down going from trying to sign a £100k player that was one of the best in the conference last season to a trialist nobody's ever heard of, surely we could find someone in between?

He didn't do much to impress me yesterday, the only times i noticed him were when he was losing the ball after a poor first touch or holding on to it for too long. He also had a cr*p shot on goal that I can only hope was with his weak foot.

Liam Walker has played two games for us, both against better class opposition than he would usually face in League 2. He didn't really impress against Forest, but had a decent game against Wigan. He was more involved both defensively and going forward and showed a good work ethic. I'm not saying we should sign him or bin him, just that he's done enough to merit a longer look. Too many on here think he's no good entirely due to his Wiki page.

jackal2
23-07-2017, 07:19 PM
Too many on here think he's no good entirely due to his Wiki page.

Funny you should say that. I reckon simple trial by Wiki has been a better indicator of the likely success or failure of our signings over the past five years than the collective "wisdom" of the club's managers and scouts. Seriously!

SmiffyPie
23-07-2017, 07:44 PM
Well a club a year says something isn't quite right?

Freeman25
23-07-2017, 07:51 PM
Liam Walker has played two games for us, both against better class opposition than he would usually face in League 2. He didn't really impress against Forest, but had a decent game against Wigan. He was more involved both defensively and going forward and showed a good work ethic. I'm not saying we should sign him or bin him, just that he's done enough to merit a longer look. Too many on here think he's no good entirely due to his Wiki page.

I hadn't seen his Wiki page when i watched the Wigan game and was disappointed at learning he was 29 when I opened this topic. I'd rather judge players on what I see them do in a Notts shirt and Walker did nothing to impress against Wigan, who despite being a "better class than he would usually face in League 2" looked and played pretty cr*p for 90 minutes.

Edit: I didn't want to say it as it will probably be the only point in my post that gets picked up on but... I seem to remember a few people basing their negative opinions of Aborah on his past/wikipedia record too...

jackal2
23-07-2017, 09:26 PM
Edit: I didn't want to say it as it will probably be the only point in my post that gets picked up on but... I seem to remember a few people basing their negative opinions of Aborah on his past/wikipedia record too...

I was one of them, I'm happy to admit it, but when I actually saw him play in the first few games under Moniz I realised I was wrong. So, yes, Liam Walker could be one of those rare surprise packages too, but based on performances so far I doubt it.

Elite_Pie
23-07-2017, 09:33 PM
I hadn't seen his Wiki page when i watched the Wigan game and was disappointed at learning he was 29 when I opened this topic. I'd rather judge players on what I see them do in a Notts shirt and Walker did nothing to impress against Wigan, who despite being a "better class than he would usually face in League 2" looked and played pretty cr*p for 90 minutes.

My negative opinion on Aborah is based entirely on his performances in a Notts shirt - he was a vastly overrated bone idle show pony who offered very little to the team. My neutral opinion on Liam Walker is based on just two part games, so I'd look for a bit longer before coming to a decision on whether he's worth a contract.

durhampie
23-07-2017, 10:59 PM

Well you must have watched a different game to me. I thought he had a good game and so did those around us,,,,,

Freeman25
24-07-2017, 05:29 PM
Well you must have watched a different game to me. I thought he had a good game and so did those around us,,,,,

Was it his left footed shot that dribbled about 10 yards wide in the first half or was it the fact that the ball bounced off him to a Wigan players feet most of the time he touched it that impressed you the most?

intheinaka
25-07-2017, 10:21 AM
I agree.

Walker and Aborah have both plied their trade at my club, Portsmouth, and in terms of technical ability, Aborah is the far superior player. Looked head and shoulders above most players in League Two at the back end of last season when he got a run in the team, and quite a few fans were disappointed to see Jackett release him over the summer. However, Liam Walker is a totally different player. He'll work hard, get up and down the pitch, keeps things neat and tidy, and should chip in with a few goals and assists, but he's not going to spray pinpoint 40-yard passes or turn his marker inside out. Good, honest pro, and if your side is looking for that sort of thing then he'll be a decent signing. If you're more in need of some flair, then not so much.

SwalePie
25-07-2017, 10:29 AM
Walker and Aborah have both plied their trade at my club, Portsmouth, and in terms of technical ability, Aborah is the far superior player. Looked head and shoulders above most players in League Two at the back end of last season when he got a run in the team, and quite a few fans were disappointed to see Jackett release him over the summer. However, Liam Walker is a totally different player. He'll work hard, get up and down the pitch, keeps things neat and tidy, and should chip in with a few goals and assists, but he's not going to spray pinpoint 40-yard passes or turn his marker inside out. Good, honest pro, and if your side is looking for that sort of thing then he'll be a decent signing. If you're more in need of some flair, then not so much.

Thanks for that. Always good to get something from someone who's actually seen a signing play before. To be honest if we're building some depth into the squad he sounds, from your summation, like a good guy to have in there.

As for Aborah...what a waste of talent that guy's career is. So much technical ability but it seems his attitude is what let's him down at club after club. On his day a joy to watch.

LaxtonLad
25-07-2017, 10:43 AM

Aborah may be the superior player but if he keeps this superiority in his pocket where we can't see it and he can't use it, then he's not much use is he? Many a manager has given up on Stanley Aborah, including your own.

Elite_Pie
25-07-2017, 10:48 AM
However, Liam Walker is a totally different player. He'll work hard.

Well summed up. Walker is nothing flashy, but from the bit I've seen of him he will get stuck in. Your gaffer did the right thing in binning Aborah - for all of his undoubted technical ability he offers the team very little. He doesn't score goals, he doesn't create goals, and when the other team have the ball you are effectively playing with 10 men.

DelroyFacey22
26-07-2017, 08:26 AM
Remember when Shaun Derry signed a load of grafters, good solid pro's... We got relegated... Remember when Sheridan signed a good bunch of pro's that could all be captains..? Yeah.

Even in League 2 you need something more than just players that can work hard to get anywhere, thankfully I think we probably have that in Grant and Allessandra so we should be okay but if we lose either of them our midfield instantly becomes terrible imo.

arnapie
26-07-2017, 09:08 AM
thankfully I think we probably have that in Grant and Allessandra so we should be okay but if we lose either of them our midfield instantly becomes terrible imo.

Don't agree Del, Milsom ( player of the year) and Hewitt were quite decent last season, Thompson and ( longer term ) O'Connor to come back, Grant, Allessandra and Walker included, I think midfield is our strongest it has been since Bishop / Ravenhill.

keldsyke
26-07-2017, 09:13 AM
Don't agree Del, Milsom ( player of the year) and Hewitt were quite decent last season, Thompson and ( longer term ) O'Connor to come back, Grant, Allessandra and Walker included, I think midfield is our strongest it has been since Bishop / Ravenhill.

Good point there, Hewitt has quietly been getting on with it, vastly improved. I think if anything we need another centre back ( I think we all agree ) to me the puzzle is Forte, if he's not going to use him then we need another striker. Personally I don't think we are far off.

arnapie
26-07-2017, 09:24 AM
Not forgetting Hawkridge, who, according to my son, will be a decent signing. He played along side him at Gainsboro', and insists he will do well.

DelroyFacey22
26-07-2017, 12:15 PM

I'm not saying the rest of our midfield is cr*p, I mean that the rest of them are more the hard working ball winners that aren't going to create anything going forwards and we would struggle without having some creativity (and goals from midfield) that Allessandra and Grant will bring.

i961pie
26-07-2017, 07:14 PM
I'm not saying the rest of our midfield is cr*p, I mean that the rest of them are more the hard working ball winners that aren't going to create anything going forwards and we would struggle without having some creativity (and goals from midfield) that Allessandra and Grant will bring.

I agree our midfield is much of the same, honest and hard working but where is the creativity that can unlock a defence or play that telling ball?

SmiffyPie
26-07-2017, 07:21 PM
...where is the creativity that can unlock a defence or play that telling ball?Parking his car behind the DP and looks very much like an older version of Don Masson (or Draper).