PDA

View Full Version : Squad rating/ League prediction 17/18

theCouncillor
24-07-2017, 12:36 AM
Hmmm...I don't think I have gone this far in the season without us having a prediction thread ..I suspect our lack of off-field signings has comatose us all..anyway I have bitten the bullet and started one...If It has gone before sincere apologies.

Incidentally for those who don't want to pore over all the individual squad assessments my erudite, "Pulitzer" summary is immediately below...

"Fck me, we are in deep deep trouble!"

Goalkeepers 5 out of 10

A giant "Meh" from me. I am not a big fan of Collin, though in his defence his defenders are his defence! He improved slightly as the season went on, but his positioning was poor throughout, and he made a habit of being beaten from seemingly incredible angles. The kind of keeper every league two forward looks forward to facing. In fact, even though he is now 104 years old and made his debut in the 1889 FA cup against the Corinthians would still rate Pilkinton as our best keeper. Sadly this is no joke.

Defence 4 out of 10

Whisper it low for fear of reprisals, but I think Hollis is the best of a poor bunch. He seems to have been around forever but is still only 24 which as a centre half is practically a tadpole in development. Having said that I don't think he is ever going to develop beyond league 1 level, but much of the abuse he gets is unjustified, and he is one our few defenders who looks likely to score. ~He never really recovered from the ludicrous decision to make him club captain by Derry. Tootle is a good player on his day, but sadly he doesn't make anything like the impact he should. Nolan must have had a bang on the head to describe Duffy as "probably our best player all season" when for much of it he was the worst, whilst Dickenson seems like a big lump who shouts a lot a la Guy Branston. Hewitt drifts out of the tough games against class opposition. Dan Jones, I have not seen, but my mate who is a Spirate described him as a "bad attitude on crutches". I doubt we will get a full season from him. I predict one thing. Mike Edwards will be a regular in defence by Xmas!

Midfield 5 out of 10

As Wafer thin as the cheese slice on a big Mac, this midfield terrifies me. A lot of pressure is on the two class ball players Grant and Milson, but one is too inconsistent and the other has no chance of lasting out the season with us. That leaves us poorly served by the rest. I am always bemused by the "love in" with Curtis Thompson. He has scored just one goal in his career which for a ball winning midfielder is just plain rubbish. I suspect that had he been born in Nuneaton rather than Nottingham most would be calling for his head by now. I have an idea. what about converting Alan Smith to Sweeper a la Dave McKay?. He still has a football brain and here the lack of speed isn't such a handicap. God knows our defence needs some brains. No? Ok, suit yourselves. In which case we will just have to sit him on the bench and watch his beard grow. O Conner has now reached the stage of his career we call "lumbering" and as he peaked about six seasons ago I suspect a mediocre one ahead. He has a good attitude and clearly gives his all, but frankly so do most professionals. it just not enough. I also can't understand a single word he says, but at least the 10 billion the DUP are getting for Ulster means his granny will get some nice new double glazing before Xmas. Sadly this may be his only highlight this year. Howes could be anything or nothing, and you are fooling yourself if you think Hawkridge will excel in the Somme conditions of winter football on league two pitches.

Forwards 9 out of 10

Yes, you heard me! if we can't score goals with this lot we are stuffed. Although they have the combined age of a Galapagos tortoise Stead, Ameobi and Forte are still class at this level. Stead, in particular, could score in a shoebox of space, is not greedy for a striker and only his poor heading skills let him down. Ameobi scares defenders to death creating pace for his colleagues and Forte could be a real asset if we played him as a forward and not a glorified winger. Add to this a decent signing in Allasendra and this is the one section of the field we needn't worry about. In fact, is there a formation called 3/2 5? Let's try it shall we it's our only hope.

Position finish - based on this squad with no additions 15th-17th.

queenslandpie
24-07-2017, 02:57 AM
Hmmm...I don't think I have gone this far in the season without us having a prediction thread ..I suspect our lack of off-field signings has comatose us all..anyway I have bitten the bullet and started one...If It has gone before sincere apologies.

Incidentally for those who don't want to pore over all the individual squad assessments my erudite, "Pulitzer" summary is immediately below...

"Fck me, we are in deep deep trouble!"

Goalkeepers 5 out of 10

A giant "Meh" from me. I am not a big fan of Collin, though in his defence his defenders are his defence! He improved slightly as the season went on, but his positioning was poor throughout, and he made a habit of being beaten from seemingly incredible angles. The kind of keeper every league two forward looks forward to facing. In fact, even though he is now 104 years old and made his debut in the 1889 FA cup against the Corinthians would still rate Pilkinton as our best keeper. Sadly this is no joke.

Defence 4 out of 10

Whisper it low for fear of reprisals, but I think Hollis is the best of a poor bunch. He seems to have been around forever but is still only 24 which as a centre half is practically a tadpole in development. Having said that I don't think he is ever going to develop beyond league 1 level, but much of the abuse he gets is unjustified, and he is one our few defenders who looks likely to score. ~He never really recovered from the ludicrous decision to make him club captain by Derry. Tootle is a good player on his day, but sadly he doesn't make anything like the impact he should. Nolan must have had a bang on the head to describe Duffy as "probably our best player all season" when for much of it he was the worst, whilst Dickenson seems like a big lump who shouts a lot a la Guy Branston. Hewitt drifts out of the tough games against class opposition. Dan Jones, I have not seen, but my mate who is a Spirate described him as a "bad attitude on crutches". I doubt we will get a full season from him. I predict one thing. Mike Edwards will be a regular in defence by Xmas!

Midfield 5 out of 10

As Wafer thin as the cheese slice on a big Mac, this midfield terrifies me. A lot of pressure is on the two class ball players Grant and Milson, but one is too inconsistent and the other has no chance of lasting out the season with us. That leaves us poorly served by the rest. I am always bemused by the "love in" with Curtis Thompson. He has scored just one goal in his career which for a ball winning midfielder is just plain rubbish. I suspect that had he been born in Nuneaton rather than Nottingham most would be calling for his head by now. I have an idea. what about converting Alan Smith to Sweeper a la Dave McKay?. He still has a football brain and here the lack of speed isn't such a handicap. God knows our defence needs some brains. No? Ok, suit yourselves. In which case we will just have to sit him on the bench and watch his beard grow. O Conner has now reached the stage of his career we call "lumbering" and as he peaked about six seasons ago I suspect a mediocre one ahead. He has a good attitude and clearly gives his all, but frankly so do most professionals. it just not enough. I also can't understand a single word he says, but at least the 10 billion the DUP are getting for Ulster means his granny will get some nice new double glazing before Xmas. Sadly this may be his only highlight this year. Howes could be anything or nothing, and you are fooling yourself if you think Hawkridge will excel in the Somme conditions of winter football on league two pitches.

Forwards 9 out of 10

Yes, you heard me! if we can't score goals with this lot we are stuffed. Although they have the combined age of a Galapagos tortoise Stead, Ameobi and Forte are still class at this level. Stead, in particular, could score in a shoebox of space, is not greedy for a striker and only his poor heading skills let him down. Ameobi scares defenders to death creating pace for his colleagues and Forte could be a real asset if we played him as a forward and not a glorified winger. Add to this a decent signing in Allasendra and this is the one section of the field we needn't worry about. In fact, is there a formation called 3/2 5? Let's try it shall we it's our only hope.

Position finish - based on this squad with no additions 15th-17th.

Average keepers 5
Average to Poor Defence - 3.5
Ok Midfield - 6.5
Reasonable Upfront but old - 7.5

Prediction 11th with a couple of average signings ( bench warmers).

Beef up the defence bring in a decent midfielder we could challenge for the play offs.

Notts78
24-07-2017, 06:42 AM
Although our defence is not great, i feel that we have enough going forward score more goals than our opposition. It was no fluke that our form (with the exception of the last few games) under Nolan was top 10.
League 2 is arguably weaker than last season, and for me is wide open with around 20 teams looking to move upwards, and Notts for me will be one of those. Top 10 for me.

Bohinen
24-07-2017, 06:48 AM
17th. I usually put that and I'm never far off. Notts have signed no-one except Grant who would make me think we won't struggle again. Oh, I forgot Shola ... he's a bonus but not with Stead.

SolSigns
24-07-2017, 07:39 AM
Based on little more than blind optimism and Wray & Nephew's overproof, I'm going to say that Nolo's ability to build a team greater than the sum of its parts will put us in 2nd place by the end of the season. 2nd.

Then Nolo will immediately get all family man, and end up on a packet at Bolton.

Oldstripy
24-07-2017, 07:58 AM
Prediction 11th with a couple of average signings ( bench warmers).

Last December if we were offered finishing 11th this season we would have excepted that with thanks, so that or above will be progress.

The-Mac pie
24-07-2017, 08:07 AM
Prediction 5 th.
Up and down season

blue midget
24-07-2017, 08:08 AM
you've forgotten one thing manager 10.

marky
24-07-2017, 08:44 AM
What's happened to the 100k they Were planning to waste on that donkey Noble, should they not be looking to get a goalscorer in.

SmiffyPie
24-07-2017, 09:04 AM
Although.......with around 20 teams looking to move upwards, and Notts for me will be one of those. Top 10 for me.We better be or we will be in the bottom four looking downwards. Top 10? Need to see what the squad is come September time.

JoePass
24-07-2017, 09:07 AM
What's happened to the 100k they Were planning to waste on that donkey Noble, should they not be looking to get a goalscorer in.

For all we know they might be.

nw6pie
24-07-2017, 09:35 AM
It's been a disappointing pre-season (coupled with a disappointing end to last season), and the obvious faults in the team have yet to be corrected. This is a poor league, though, and a couple of big signings could see us do OK. If we bring in two commanding centre halves, a ball winner in midfield and a pacy forward, I'll say play-offs. If we don't, then 15th.

I think the teams to beat will be Mansfield, Luton, Lincoln, Exeter, Port Vale, FGR and Chesterfield. God know what shape Coventry will be in, but we'll find out soon enough.

MAD_MAGPIE
24-07-2017, 11:42 AM
For all we know they might be.

I'd sooner us spend £100K on a Central Defender like a Graeme Lee type and a spoiler midfielder of the Bishop/Ravenhill mould.

MAD_MAGPIE
24-07-2017, 11:47 AM
you've forgotten one thing manager 10.

True. This manager did get this team playing at top 7 form for almost half a season. I guess the big question is can he do it for a full season?

It might not be as bad a season as some are making out. In fact in a twisted way it could be good thing that pre-season optimism is not artificially elevated because there is no fan pressure if there is no expectation for a top 7 finish, like there has been in recent seasons.

Vladpie
24-07-2017, 11:58 AM
True. This manager did get this team playing at top 7 form for almost half a season. I guess the big question is can he do it for a full season?

It might not be as bad a season as some are making out. In fact in a twisted way it could be good thing that pre-season optimism is not artificially elevated because there is no fan pressure if there is no expectation for a top 7 finish, like there has been in recent seasons.

The form table and results did show a vast improvement but the times were few when the actual play made us look like a top 10 team? The form table and even results can be a bit misleading and there were a couple of games where we rode our luck.

Bridg4d_Pie_
24-07-2017, 12:35 PM

Who says they are not or do you know it all. ;D

ancientpie
24-07-2017, 04:27 PM
Keepers...5. Average for this league

Defence... 3. this has needed sorting for at least 4 seasons now & although KN seems to be getting the best out of the players we have unless we bring in at least 2 we will continue to struggle.

Midfield...6. Grant & the 2 wingers should improve it but we could still do with some real pace, a ball winner & someone who can take a dead ball, it could be worth investing some serious money on one player who could do all 3 jobs.

Up Front... 7. Ameobi has looked a class act in pre season & given the service Stead will score goals but they are both getting on a bit & if either is missing we look weak, given a run in the side Forte could be a good partner for Shola but doesn't seem to play well along side Stead. Ideally we could do with a quick goalscorer who can play alongside either of our main strikers but other areas of the side should take priority imo.

Prediction... As it stands 15th but get the defence sorted & we could threaten so I will go...8th.

irish_pie
24-07-2017, 05:34 PM
Keepers...5. Average for this league

Defence... 3. this has needed sorting for at least 4 seasons now & although KN seems to be getting the best out of the players we have unless we bring in at least 2 we will continue to struggle.

Midfield...6. Grant & the 2 wingers should improve it but we could still do with some real pace, a ball winner & someone who can take a dead ball, it could be worth investing some serious money on one player who could do all 3 jobs.

Up Front... 7. Ameobi has looked a class act in pre season & given the service Stead will score goals but they are both getting on a bit & if either is missing we look weak, given a run in the side Forte could be a good partner for Shola but doesn't seem to play well along side Stead. Ideally we could do with a quick goalscorer who can play alongside either of our main strikers but other areas of the side should take priority imo.

Prediction... As it stands 15th but get the defence sorted & we could threaten so I will go...8th.

Collin seriously blows hot and cold so this could be a big problem unless its addressed. the signing of Jones and Brisley should bolster the defense... the midfield looks half decent with 2 out and out wide men adding some pace and Milsom and Grant in the middle, up front we have 2 crackers in Stead and Shola and also Forte waiting in the wings... ill go for a rather optimistic 3rd place finish

slack_pie
25-07-2017, 07:51 AM
It's hard to say really. I think we'll do better than last season, but I doubt we'll have enough to challenge. Perhaps an outside chance of sneaking into 7th, but I would say mid-table is more likely. I'll go with 10th.

Anyway, if we somehow find ourselves in the top 3, you can guarantee Nolan will be off as soon as a vacancy comes up at Bolton or any other Championship club.