PDA

View Full Version : Mikel Merino

waalsendmick
26-07-2017, 02:13 PM
21 yr old spanish central midfielder from Borussia Dortmund.

heavily linked.

initial stories claimed a loan deal was agreed, but apparently he has a €7M buy out clause.

Dortmund bought him last year from Osasuna for €4M

MidsMagpie
26-07-2017, 02:18 PM
Another signing to get us all excited about :)

waalsendmick
26-07-2017, 02:20 PM
to be fair, if he replaces colback, he'll do for me!

Jammy89
26-07-2017, 02:22 PM
Not heard of him myself but the bundsaliga website said this about him when Dortmund signed him:

A rangy box-to-box midfielder, Merino is yet to make his La Liga debut, but has 51 appearances in the Spanish second tier under his belt. Composed in possession with a keen eye for a pass, the technically gifted youngster also boasts a quick turn of pace and an ability to read the game that belies his age.

TheOtherTerryMac
26-07-2017, 02:34 PM
Not heard of him myself but the bundsaliga website said this about him when Dortmund signed him:

A rangy box-to-box midfielder, Merino is yet to make his La Liga debut, but has 51 appearances in the Spanish second tier under his belt. Composed in possession with a keen eye for a pass, the technically gifted youngster also boasts a quick turn of pace and an ability to read the game that belies his age.

With a write up like that it's kind of strange that they want rid of him don't you think

Jammy89
26-07-2017, 02:37 PM
With a write up like that it's kind of strange that they want rid of him don't you think

I imagine it's more he's 21 and they don't think he'll get as much game time with them as he would with us.

Same way we've sent Longstaff out on loan.

TheOtherTerryMac
26-07-2017, 03:27 PM
I imagine it's more he's 21 and they don't think he'll get as much game time with them as he would with us.

Same way we've sent Longstaff out on loan.

Imagine your right Jammy stick another untried unknown player in our side and have a gamble on our Premiership future. The mind boggles.

Zippity
26-07-2017, 03:36 PM
Merino? All sounds a bit wooly to me....what ewe think? Would rather we had Demba Baa back.

Etc...

Davearmy
26-07-2017, 04:06 PM
Pictures of him on twitter in having a medical so it seems like he's joining. I've never heard of the lad tbh.

ashingtoon62
26-07-2017, 04:17 PM
Pictures of him on twitter in having a medical so it seems like he's joining. I've never heard of the lad tbh.
Aye the Ronnies got a pic of him ootside the Freeman..

Cannylad
26-07-2017, 04:41 PM
Merino? All sounds a bit wooly to me....what ewe think? Would rather we had Demba Baa back.

Etc...

Would the fans would all Flock to see him ? There's a Shearer joke in there somewhere too.

waalsendmick
26-07-2017, 04:43 PM

I'm not sure Dortmund did want rid.

we have triggered a release clause from what I can gather.

Nufc24Mag
26-07-2017, 05:04 PM
I'm not sure Dortmund did want rid.

we have triggered a release clause from what I can gather.

Season long loan

pboromag
26-07-2017, 05:23 PM
he is mutton dressed as lamb

i wonder what barrel rafa will scrape the bottom of for nexyt player

he aint shifted much of the dross he overpaid for last season

Southerntoon75
26-07-2017, 05:45 PM

Do you just use copy and paste on your previous comments?

ex_pat_magpie
26-07-2017, 06:01 PM

Rafa didn't overpay them. That's the responsibility of Ashley's puppet Charnley. Why don't you blame him and Ashley Pboro?

smorgan86
26-07-2017, 06:06 PM
This is really confusing. It looks like we're signing players for the future but we either need them to have breakout seasons with us now or hope we scrape by. I think we need some experienced players coming in or this could be a long season. Looking forward to seeing what he can do though.

TheOtherTerryMac
26-07-2017, 06:33 PM
This is really confusing. It looks like we're signing players for the future but we either need them to have breakout seasons with us now or hope we scrape by. I think we need some experienced players coming in or this could be a long season. Looking forward to seeing what he can do though.

Saviet is supposed to be training with the U23 squad and been told to find another club but he's on the bench tonight. Another strange one

TheOtherTerryMac
26-07-2017, 06:38 PM
Rafa didn't overpay them. That's the responsibility of Ashley's puppet Charnley. Why don't you blame him and Ashley Pboro?

Rafa has got nothing to do with the cistern or salary of a player but he is solely responsible for the QUALITY of the players.

Everyone he has signed in this window are speculative players for the future. We needed 6 premiership ready players to add to our squad but have signed none so far in this window.

Jammy89
26-07-2017, 07:53 PM
Do you just use copy and paste on your previous comments?

XD XD

To be fair to Pboro i imagine all of us have running themes with the style in which we say things on here.

How much have you seen him play to say that though?

I wouldn't say he's a scraped from bottom of the barrell, Dortmund obviously saw something in him as well. He's just not massively what we need at the minute.

Well firstly, he can only shift if other clubs want them and there is a reason other clubs don't want them and hence we can't shift. Secondly which of his dross has he got to shift? I can only think of Lazaar and Hanley of his signings that he wants to get rid off. Hanley will be off - no doubt in my mind. Lazaar, i still think he could make a contribution myself but he's decided he wants to leave.

The other players - not his signings were they, so hard to blame him for being unable to shift them.

zoggs
26-07-2017, 07:55 PM
Gouff gone .
Anita gone .
Murphy gone .

Murphy in
Lajune in
Atsu in
Merino in .

Can't see the problem. ..

I cry like a little bitch when the window closes and that's all we have Brough in mind you , but ffs let's see what happens

waalsendmick
26-07-2017, 08:14 PM
Season long loan

season long loan, with an obligation to buy had been reported. I'm guessing the loan suits both clubs in the structuring of the deal.

Nufc24Mag
26-07-2017, 08:26 PM
Gouff gone .
Anita gone .
Murphy gone .

Murphy in
Lajune in
Atsu in
Merino in .

Can't see the problem. ..

I cry like a little bitch when the window closes and that's all we have Brough in mind you , but ffs let's see what happens

I'm sure we have signed someone else...l

Nufc24Mag
26-07-2017, 08:27 PM
I'm sure we have signed someone else...l

Manquillo lol couldn't think who it was:D

TheOtherTerryMac
26-07-2017, 08:40 PM
Manquillo lol couldn't think who it was:D

He's easily forgotten

toonviking
26-07-2017, 11:59 PM
Merino? Never seen him play, but hes better than Colback.

pboromag
27-07-2017, 06:40 AM
Merino? Never seen him play, but hes better than Colback.

you have never seen him play but he is better than colback

diferent players

merino should do a job and out of all of the players we have signed he xcites me

however

he is unproven young and a gamble and in our midfield with shelve and an unproven winger in murphy I'm not sure we shouldn't have gone for experience

pboromag
27-07-2017, 06:43 AM

sorry but rafa is and was in charge of all thing s football its what he wanted
regardless of who got them here its his job in the last two windows to ship them out

Andy1981_2
27-07-2017, 07:26 AM
Jesus Christ... pboro has gone from this...

...to this...

merino should do a job and out of all of the players we have signed he xcites me

His skills video on YouTube must be mint! :D

ghostrider
27-07-2017, 09:08 AM
If he's as good a player as his father, Jose is as a manager, then we should be fine.

ex_pat_magpie
27-07-2017, 05:52 PM
regardless of who got them here its his job in the last two windows to ship them out

Horlicks.Charnley and Ashley agree the wages and WELL you know it. That is all I posted about.

pboromag
27-07-2017, 06:38 PM
no you dont you presume from what the media tell you and what suits your argument

where has anyone said rafa since he has been in control of footballing matters that he doesnt get to choose etc

i was with someone from the club the other day playing goldf and everyone is under no illusions rafa is in controll of everything hence why carr was forced out

the only problem is he is trying to convince charnley and raf he is maing the right decisions

they are very aware he over spent last season and panded us with players on big wages with little chance of selling them on

he has cost us a lot of money or at least tied a lot of it up

Jammy89
27-07-2017, 06:46 PM

What a load of crap.

Rafa might be in charge of football but it's not his role to go out and say to clubs this is my player, do you want him etc. He'll say to Charnley "i don't want so and so" and he'll say to the agent "find so and so a new club he has no future at Newcastle" but he has no power in getting other clubs to bid for them.

To blame him on not being able to ship players out is to me pathetic and looking for whatever reason possible to blame Rafa for anything possible.

zoggs
27-07-2017, 06:48 PM
XD XD , forgot about him

pboromag
27-07-2017, 07:20 PM
What a load of crap.

Rafa might be in charge of football but it's not his role to go out and say to clubs this is my player, do you want him etc. He'll say to Charnley "i don't want so and so" and he'll say to the agent "find so and so a new club he has no future at Newcastle" but he has no power in getting other clubs to bid for them.

To blame him on not being able to ship players out is to me pathetic and looking for whatever reason possible to blame Rafa for anything possible.

no different to blaming charnley

raf has only pulled 3 aside and told them to get new clubs and then plays one of them ?????

iuggest rafa doesnt know what his team is or what his squad offers

why he even had de jong back and the likes

he had months to say who would and wouldnt be in his tram this season

he would have known at xmas when he was trying to get players in as the ones he had he didnt think were good enough for the fizzy

he needs to go to games with the players he knows wll be good enough and leave those left behind in know uncertain terms that yoj are going

currently due to his weakness he is tagging players along

Jammy89
27-07-2017, 07:38 PM
no different to blaming charnley

Slightly different to blaming Charnley, he's been her for ages and bought players which is his role. Rafa hasn't been here ages and his role is to sort the team which he is doing. Then tell players they have no future here - which he's doing and telling Charnley to sell them, which i assume he has done.

raf has only pulled 3 aside and told them to get new clubs and then plays one of them ?????

I don't think that matters, the players still have contracts here. If Rafa wants to play them to save another player for another game then that his prerogative. Seems fine to me, also shows clubs that player is fit.

iuggest rafa doesnt know what his team is or what his squad offers

Well i imagine his is still seeing what his first choice team is and what his squad offers, it's pre-season. That tends to be what this time of year is for, particularly when we have quite a few coming back of loan plus new players come in for the challenge of a different division.

why he even had de jong back and the likes

Well for me (and i assume Rafa if he keeps playing him) is that De Jong could be a great player for us this season if he stays fit. I think he'll fit very naturally in the number 10 role that Rafa wants filled.

he had months to say who would and wouldnt be in his tram this season

Except several of them were away on loan, others may have stepped up in mind etc. I'm sure he did have a rough plan but pre-season helps iron everything out.

he would have known at xmas when he was trying to get players in as the ones he had he didnt think were good enough for the fizzy

He was trying to get players that were good enough for prem and were willing to work in fizzy. He would of know some players - hence likes of Anita not being renewed, Sels being loaned out, Murphy being sold. I'm not entirely sure what you're trying to prove here?

he needs to go to games with the players he knows wll be good enough and leave those left behind in know uncertain terms that yoj are going

He's doing that to a large degree. Ok last night he didn't do that with Saviet but perhaps in playing him he was saving having to play an U23 player or using Lascalles before he's back from injury fully.

currently due to his weakness he is tagging players along

He's the manager and it's a squad game, no problems in fully evaluating your squad. You've said you own businesses or have in the past etc. I'm sure you must have had employees that you wanted to evaluate for a bit before properly hiring or saying no ta.

I know you don't like or rate Rafa Pboro but this really feels like you're scraping the barrell in regards finding something to have a go at him for.

Southerntoon75
27-07-2017, 08:01 PM
Slightly different to blaming Charnley, he's been her for ages and bought players which is his role. Rafa hasn't been here ages and his role is to sort the team which he is doing. Then tell players they have no future here - which he's doing and telling Charnley to sell them, which i assume he has done.

I don't think that matters, the players still have contracts here. If Rafa wants to play them to save another player for another game then that his prerogative. Seems fine to me, also shows clubs that player is fit.

Well i imagine his is still seeing what his first choice team is and what his squad offers, it's pre-season. That tends to be what this time of year is for, particularly when we have quite a few coming back of loan plus new players come in for the challenge of a different division.

Well for me (and i assume Rafa if he keeps playing him) is that De Jong could be a great player for us this season if he stays fit. I think he'll fit very naturally in the number 10 role that Rafa wants filled.

Except several of them were away on loan, others may have stepped up in mind etc. I'm sure he did have a rough plan but pre-season helps iron everything out.

He was trying to get players that were good enough for prem and were willing to work in fizzy. He would of know some players - hence likes of Anita not being renewed, Sels being loaned out, Murphy being sold. I'm not entirely sure what you're trying to prove here?

He's doing that to a large degree. Ok last night he didn't do that with Saviet but perhaps in playing him he was saving having to play an U23 player or using Lascalles before he's back from injury fully.

He's the manager and it's a squad game, no problems in fully evaluating your squad. You've said you own businesses or have in the past etc. I'm sure you must have had employees that you wanted to evaluate for a bit before properly hiring or saying no ta.

I know you don't like or rate Rafa Pboro but this really feels like you're scraping the barrell in regards finding something to have a go at him for.

Exactly, I don't like his hair or his glasses. Get rid of him useless Champions League winning excuse of a manager 😂

ex_pat_magpie
28-07-2017, 09:06 AM

Jammy as usual it's nothing more or less than a pathetic childish wind up.

Jammy, as usual it's nothing more than a silly childish wind up.

pboromag
28-07-2017, 09:40 AM

the reason no one came in in January was because rafa wouldn't let anyone go and we couldn't increase the wage bill

we even offered to let Sammy go on a free instaed of a loan and we would pay some of his wages and he recalled him
then played him once costing us hundreds of thousands in wages
there were others too

and this was when rafa was in charge

I agree in the past it may have been different undder other managers
but rafa wanted full control
he got it

the club cannot understand why he is wastng tme on finding a keeper when we have a few they feel are good enough for the prem
so do most of us

charnley has asked for a list
raf gave him 3 names and then played one of them

3 names from a squad that needs reducing by at least 10 players

we apparently wanted to do a player plus cash swap for murphy ,but we couldn't decide on what players to let go until he had seen them in pre season games

for phuck sake he has ahd a whole season to see what he does and doesn't want

and so far he has put 3 forward
shipped a couple out on loan who were th eusuall suspects

so in January when he was looking for extra players ,which clearly makes it look like the ones he had couldn't do the job wny didn't he ship a few out then ??

give them away if needs and save on wages

a player sold in January or even given away would have saved a few hundred thousand on wages and clubs are desperate in January

waalsendmick
28-07-2017, 09:54 AM
Rafa brought Sammy back because he COULDN'T get Townsend. NOT the other way around.

DEAR ME!!!!

Southerntoon75
28-07-2017, 10:08 AM
the reason no one came in in January was because rafa wouldn't let anyone go and we couldn't increase the wage bill

we even offered to let Sammy go on a free instaed of a loan and we would pay some of his wages and he recalled him
then played him once costing us hundreds of thousands in wages
there were others too

and this was when rafa was in charge

I agree in the past it may have been different undder other managers
but rafa wanted full control
he got it

the club cannot understand why he is wastng tme on finding a keeper when we have a few they feel are good enough for the prem
so do most of us

charnley has asked for a list
raf gave him 3 names and then played one of them

3 names from a squad that needs reducing by at least 10 players

we apparently wanted to do a player plus cash swap for murphy ,but we couldn't decide on what players to let go until he had seen them in pre season games

for phuck sake he has ahd a whole season to see what he does and doesn't want

and so far he has put 3 forward
shipped a couple out on loan who were th eusuall suspects

so in January when he was looking for extra players ,which clearly makes it look like the ones he had couldn't do the job wny didn't he ship a few out then ??

give them away if needs and save on wages

a player sold in January or even given away would have saved a few hundred thousand on wages and clubs are desperate in January

Being the businessman that you are, you'd surely know giving your stock away isn't good practice?

ex_pat_magpie
28-07-2017, 10:25 AM
Rafa brought Sammy back because he COULDN'T get Townsend. NOT the other way around.

DEAR ME!!!!

You have to remember Mick, some posters never read posts correctly or interpret them to suit themselves.

pboromag
28-07-2017, 02:37 PM
Being the businessman that you are, you'd surely know giving your stock away isn't good practice?

neither is it any good having it go off on the shelves and becoming worthless and costing you to display it

pboromag
28-07-2017, 02:39 PM

DEAR ME!!!!

i didnt say he brought sammy back as he couldnt get townsend

im saying he had an option not to bring him back
if you remember he couldnt go back out on loan to the club who wanted him so it was put to rafa to give him away .
he wasnt brought back for cover for townsend and neither have i suggested that
we couldnt get townsend as rafa wouldnt shift players out

Southerntoon75
28-07-2017, 02:52 PM
neither is it any good having it go off on the shelves and becoming worthless and costing you to display it

But every penny we make from sales is going into the kitty to buy other players. We're going to need that to buy Walcott and Giroud 😉

HughieG
28-07-2017, 03:14 PM
Though I'm not familiar with a lot of our new signings, I don't think Rafa would have been brought them in unless he feels they can perform adequately. Therefore, I'm quite pleased with our signings so far, though I'd like to se 2-3 more 'established' PL players, if there's ever been such a thing.

Jammy89
28-07-2017, 08:02 PM
Agreed Hughie, I've got faith in Rafa to have got people he wants to play the systems he wants.

However, someone with some prem experience either in goal or as a striker would be good.

ghostrider
30-07-2017, 07:35 AM
What we have to remember is, we are premier new boys, regardless of us being Newcastle united, the big club or sleeping giant.
We can't simply fill our basket full of eggs and not expect some to crack.
It's a case of feeling our way back and trying to ease back into the fold.

I'm sure Rafa would love to add a few more players...and he might...but I think he's also clever enough to understand what he's up against in terms of money bags clubs attracting the best players and leaving the best of the rest languishing in the background just waiting for clubs like us to pay out ridiculous fees that are placed on their heads in transfers, as well as wage demands of the players themselves.

In a nutshell, we cannot just go hell for leather and have one huge stab by basically paying out any old prices. We certainly need to be careful enough to tinker our way back in and get to a steady stage where we can up the ante and hopefully be allowed to.

Under Rafa's guidance and money being made available over a few seasons, I think we can literally progress in the right way and make a decent fist of it as we build back up.

TheOtherTerryMac
30-07-2017, 10:02 AM
What we have to remember is, we are premier new boys, regardless of us being Newcastle united, the big club or sleeping giant.
We can't simply fill our basket full of eggs and not expect some to crack.
It's a case of feeling our way back and trying to ease back into the fold.

I'm sure Rafa would love to add a few more players...and he might...but I think he's also clever enough to understand what he's up against in terms of money bags clubs attracting the best players and leaving the best of the rest languishing in the background just waiting for clubs like us to pay out ridiculous fees that are placed on their heads in transfers, as well as wage demands of the players themselves.

In a nutshell, we cannot just go hell for leather and have one huge stab by basically paying out any old prices. We certainly need to be careful enough to tinker our way back in and get to a steady stage where we can up the ante and hopefully be allowed to.

Under Rafa's guidance and money being made available over a few seasons, I think we can literally progress in the right way and make a decent fist of it as we build back up.

Big Club, Sleeping Giant we must be in a coma mate all we have is a well supported club full stop.

Do you seriously think that Rafa is going to hang around for a season after season relegation battle. That's providing we survive this one as with the squad we have survival is the name of the game

We are simply not good enough on paper to put up any form of challenge and will get murdered down the left with Dumbar$e as out No1 LB. Imagine if Gayle gets injured where are the goals going to come from.

Rafa has openly admitted that the 4 players he wanted have not been bought for various reasons.

But we all live in hope.

ghostrider
30-07-2017, 10:24 AM
Big Club, Sleeping Giant we must be in a coma mate all we have is a well supported club full stop.

Do you seriously think that Rafa is going to hang around for a season after season relegation battle. That's providing we survive this one as with the squad we have survival is the name of the game

We are simply not good enough on paper to put up any form of challenge and will get murdered down the left with Dumbar$e as out No1 LB. Imagine if Gayle gets injured where are the goals going to come from.

Rafa has openly admitted that the 4 players he wanted have not been bought for various reasons.

But we all live in hope.Foresight could be a wonderful thing. We don't have it.
All we have is guessing games in all guises, from so called educated one's to pessimistic and optimistic one's.

The only thing guaranteed for us, after the fact of any guessing games, is the wish for hindsight, which we also only possess after the obvious reality check.

All we have to remember is, we don't play football on paper.
We do not select league positions by guessing games.
We do not dictate the outcome of anything and cannot know with any realistic truth, the outcome of any season long challenge.

What we can do, is hope for the best outcome that can far exceed any expectation, yet not actually eventually realise it.
We are a big club. We are always being touted as a sleeping giant.

We are constantly lulled into talking about entertainers days and the significance of the number 9 shirt only being worn by prolific goalscorers, or else.
There's a lot that this club gets bestowed upon it, both good bad and indifferent.
It doesn't mean we all think like what we get portrayed as collectively thinking. It just means that we get tagged and we do sometimes tend to hinge our belief's on the better days of recent history and in a sort of shy kind of way, we know we are that kind of big club sleeping giant that are steeped in historical wonderland of the Milburn era and what not.
You get what I mean.