PDA

View Full Version : Strikers

Blade for Life
26-07-2017, 04:53 PM
I would be interested to hear everyone's view on our current strikers. We have enough but in my opinion not the quality we need for the championship. Possible a decent loan signing from a premiership club before the window shuts would help. A bit like Izzy Brown and Abraham did for Udders and Brizzie City late year. If only we could guarantee Ched could stay fit and get back to is best, that would be perfect.

seanbeanstattoo
26-07-2017, 05:11 PM
If we don't add another,pacy striker then Brooks is the ace in the hole. Be interesting to see how Billy,Lavery and Clarke go though as long as the service from midfield/wing backs is quality.

shorehamoldboy
26-07-2017, 05:23 PM
we need another one imo think we could go with what weve got and yes sbt is correct brooks could be very useful in behind lone striker especially away games a loan is the way i think chris will go on this one

AceOfBlades
26-07-2017, 05:49 PM
who do we go for tho. the fees for a championship level striker are huge and cant think of any at a lower level better than those we've got

rodcurrie
26-07-2017, 05:52 PM
who do we go for tho. the fees for a championship level striker are huge and cant think of any at a lower level better than those we've gotOmar Bogle at Wigan,anyone think he'd do us a job?UTCB

Blade for Life
26-07-2017, 06:15 PM
Omar Bogle at Wigan,anyone think he'd do us a job?UTCB Yes I think he would but with other targets and limited money a season long loan is the way forward, before the sell on fees disappear into a black hole.

RavBlade
26-07-2017, 06:18 PM
I would be interested to hear everyone's view on our current strikers. We have enough but in my opinion not the quality we need for the championship. Possible a decent loan signing from a premiership club before the window shuts would help. A bit like Izzy Brown and Abraham did for Udders and Brizzie City late year. If only we could guarantee Ched could stay fit and get back to is best, that would be perfect.

I'l just trust Tuftys opinion if you don't mind. Seems to know what he's doing so far.

Blade for Life
26-07-2017, 06:25 PM
I'l just trust Tuftys opinion if you don't mind. Seems to know what he's doing so far. I am not questioning Tufty just expressing an opinion that will hopefully lead to a genuine debate. Alternatively we could read pages of 2 people, who are supposed to be Blades, having a go at each other ? .

bulmer1889
26-07-2017, 06:28 PM
I'd be amazed if we bought a striker,it's got to be a loanee for me as to who I'll leave that to the professionals

Regarding young brooks CW is goin to have to manage him sir Alex style I feel,the expectation as he came on was immense the lad has been hyped up and fans who have not seen him are expecting great things,so far he's delivered but he won't all the time,I hope he gets some slack like some of our other youngsters were afforded,I think chris will use him as an impact player in the last 15/20 mins of games and try to keep the expectation levels of him low

RavBlade
26-07-2017, 07:25 PM
I am not questioning Tufty just expressing an opinion that will hopefully lead to a genuine debate. Alternatively we could read pages of 2 people, who are supposed to be Blades, having a go at each other ? .

Thats WAS my debate. In simpler terms, no I don't think we need more strikers in......yet. Tufty will do what he did last season and assess the situation. He quite clearly stated last season that if the strikers didn't take chances they would be replaced. Thats one reason Done is on his way and Sparky has gone. He'll give the current crop a chance first, then one or two could be out if they don't perform. It really is as simple as that with Tufty. After that, who knows, but I don't see a young PL player being the answer.

RavBlade
26-07-2017, 07:27 PM
I'd be amazed if we bought a striker,it's got to be a loanee for me as to who I'll leave that to the professionals

Regarding young brooks CW is goin to have to manage him sir Alex style I feel,the expectation as he came on was immense the lad has been hyped up and fans who have not seen him are expecting great things,so far he's delivered but he won't all the time,I hope he gets some slack like some of our other youngsters were afforded,I think chris will use him as an impact player in the last 15/20 mins of games and try to keep the expectation levels of him low

Thats how I see him playing Brooks too Bully. Last 20 against a tiring defense. Can't wait!

shorehamoldboy
26-07-2017, 07:39 PM
yeah agree rav young brooks and samir coming on for last 20 could cause real problems for teams as for the striker definetly wont be a signing imo maybe a loan till chrimbo what with ched being rumoured not gonna be match fit while october only need a couple of injuries early doors and we could be short in that area

Blade for Life
26-07-2017, 07:42 PM
Thats WAS my debate. In simpler terms, no I don't think we need more strikers in......yet. Tufty will do what he did last season and assess the situation. He quite clearly stated last season that if the strikers didn't take chances they would be replaced. Thats one reason Done is on his way and Sparky has gone. He'll give the current crop a chance first, then one or two could be out if they don't perform. It really is as simple as that with Tufty. After that, who knows, but I don't see a young PL player being the answer. That's fair enough, i hope i am wrong and the current lads do the job. The Brentford match is a good test for our first game back, we will see soon enough.

GrayBlade
26-07-2017, 07:44 PM
I'll be over the moon if we get to September and Brooks is still a Blade, what a diffference he could make to our season.

As for the striker, yes I think we still need a bit of power and pace up top but I'tll be the hardest position of all to fill. If we leave it while the end of the window, even the lower league 'gems' will be faught over like rats in a pantry by teams that have got off to dodgy starts.

silentjourneyhome
26-07-2017, 08:49 PM
Lee Gregory?

RavBlade
26-07-2017, 10:24 PM
That's fair enough, i hope i am wrong and the current lads do the job. The Brentford match is a good test for our first game back, we will see soon enough.

We will indeed. Give it a few games and see where we are.

Holden_C
26-07-2017, 10:42 PM

In a nutshell Bulmer " fans who have not seen him".

Good post which is bang on imo.

GrayBlade
26-07-2017, 10:59 PM
In a nutshell Bulmer " fans who have not seen him".

Good post which is bang on imo.
Yep totally agree.

rodcurrie
27-07-2017, 08:23 AM
Yep totally agree.Why are you and Marvin creepin round Wyatt Earp's(Jos) deputy? Once we get a offer for young BROOKSY he'll be gone but not before we've told the buyin club to cut their accepted offer by 75% tho.This post of mine was posted in jest by the way,just in case anyone thinks i was bein serious.Have a good day BLADES,see ya'll laters. UTCB

Currieisgod
27-07-2017, 09:50 AM

Out of the strikers we have I think Ched is the key as if he is anything like the player he was before he went away then Billy would certainly benefit from this.

Out of the others - Lavery and Clark, I would have said that Lavery would be the better choice but Leon came back from injury last season a different player and his experience at Championship level could get him the nod over Lavs.

Hanson seems to be overlooked altogether as it looks like his pace (or lack of it) may be a problem at Championship level although for me his physical presence could be a factor in certain situations like for example when we need a target man to hold things up a bit up top.

The emergence of young Brooks is also refreshing as he certainly has the pace and quality to become the first (or second) name on the team sheet when it comes to our attacking midfielder options,

I reckon CW has enough untried options to keep us going until January when we can all then make a judgment on how things have gone and how we should move forward.

A lot also depends on where we are come January and just what do we expect in our first season back after 6 years?.

I would be happy at a mid table position come January and who knows, we could really kick on from there.

Holden_C
27-07-2017, 10:51 AM
Why are you and Marvin creepin round Wyatt Earp's(Jos) deputy? Once we get a offer for young BROOKSY he'll be gone but not before we've told the buyin club to cut their accepted offer by 75% tho.This post of mine was posted in jest by the way,just in case anyone thinks i was bein serious.Have a good day BLADES,see ya'll laters. UTCB

Agree Rod. Wenger, well Mr McCabe, we will give you twenty million for young David.

KK, no no Arsene. Very generous but too much. We will lose around £6m this year so just give us a couple of million to help out. After all, it's only my money.....

Fan - I knew it........

GrayBlade
27-07-2017, 11:23 AM
Out of the strikers we have I think Ched is the key as if he is anything like the player he was before he went away then Billy would certainly benefit from this.

Out of the others - Lavery and Clark, I would have said that Lavery would be the better choice but Leon came back from injury last season a different player and his experience at Championship level could get him the nod over Lavs.

Hanson seems to be overlooked altogether as it looks like his pace (or lack of it) may be a problem at Championship level although for me his physical presence could be a factor in certain situations like for example when we need a target man to hold things up a bit up top.

The emergence of young Brooks is also refreshing as he certainly has the pace and quality to become the first (or second) name on the team sheet when it comes to our attacking midfielder options,

I reckon CW has enough untried options to keep us going until January when we can all then make a judgment on how things have gone and how we should move forward.

A lot also depends on where we are come January and just what do we expect in our first season back after 6 years?.

I would be happy at a mid table position come January and who knows, we could really kick on from there.

Good post mate. If we can get Evans fit and scoring I think him and Billy could make a decent partnership with Lavery as back up. If it not convinced about Clarke or Hanson doing it though, I wonder if one or even both will be sold, but they're both on long contacts so it depends on who could afford them or eir wages in the leagues below.

GrayBlade
27-07-2017, 11:26 AM
Agree Rod. Wenger, well Mr McCabe, we will give you twenty million for young David.

KK, no no Arsene. Very generous but too much. We will lose around £6m this year so just give us a couple of million to help out. After all, it's only my money.....

Fan - I knew it........

This fan that you speak of H, he sounds a bit ITK.

RavBlade
27-07-2017, 11:59 AM
Good post mate. If we can get Evans fit and scoring I think him and Billy could make a decent partnership with Lavery as back up. If it not convinced about Clarke or Hanson doing it though, I wonder if one or even both will be sold, but they're both on long contacts so it depends on who could afford them or eir wages in the leagues below.

I personally don't see Clarke ot Hanson being sold Gray. Not unless we are having a mare, and Tufty deciides on a different plan anyway. They are both very different players, and useful in different ways. Other scenario is Cheds injuries. Will he sustain more & more and be of little use thus forcing Tufty into bringing in another striker? We'll know more in a few weeks maybe.

BlockD
27-07-2017, 12:04 PM
One thing Christopher has tried a few times pre season is having just the one striker,supported by 2 players playing slightly deeper,Lavery supported by Brooks and Thomas at Chesterfield being an example of this,maybe this will be seen this season?

bulmer1889
27-07-2017, 12:45 PM
Did it at the end on Tuesday as well

Hanson hasn't been overlooked CIG he's injured,when he is fit he will get some pitch time as he offers something completely different to all the others,I'd expect to see more of him away from BDTBL though when we're digging in and trying to eek a result out

GrayBlade
27-07-2017, 12:51 PM
Did it at the end on Tuesday as well

Hanson hasn't been overlooked CIG he's injured,when he is fit he will get some pitch time as he offers something completely different to all the others,I'd expect to see more of him away from BDTBL though when we're digging in and trying to eek a result out

Possibly, the City fans said that he was as useful in defence as up front, so against the bigger sides he'd definitely be an asset.

GrayBlade
27-07-2017, 12:53 PM
One thing Christopher has tried a few times pre season is having just the one striker,supported by 2 players playing slightly deeper,Lavery supported by Brooks and Thomas at Chesterfield being an example of this,maybe this will be seen this season?
Yep I noticed that BD, I suppose it doesn't matter who scores the goals as long as somebody does.

bulmer1889
27-07-2017, 01:11 PM
Possibly, the City fans said that he was as useful in defence as up front, so against the bigger sides he'd definitely be an asset.

He'll defend from the front win headers or at least stop defenders clearing straight back giving our defence some breathing space and of course be useful at the back from corners,this type of player doesn't need to be blessed with electric pace to be effective you only have to look at peter crouch on Tuesday night when he came on won just about everything laid it off well kept possession and was a threat when the ball was delivered into the box

RonnieWaldock
27-07-2017, 01:14 PM

Agree with all that Bully. I fear the expectations of many supporters are way too high. We who have seen him a good number of times are aware that there are times, and indeed whole games where he is fairly ineffective. The lad is only just turned 20 and a joy to watch when what he tries to do "comes off" - but it isn't going to come off every time - and people should not expect it to.
To date, he has never had to mix it with hardened Championship defenders who will resort to any means to get the points for their team.
Experienced and very expensive opponents do not like to be made to look incompetent by any one, let alone a very young lad.
Please, let's wait and see what happens in competitive games, before we all get too excited.

GrayBlade
27-07-2017, 02:19 PM
I personally don't see Clarke ot Hanson being sold Gray. Not unless we are having a mare, and Tufty deciides on a different plan anyway. They are both very different players, and useful in different ways. Other scenario is Cheds injuries. Will he sustain more & more and be of little use thus forcing Tufty into bringing in another striker? We'll know more in a few weeks maybe.

Aye we'll know soon enough Rav. If Evans can get fit and keep fit I think he'll play alongside Billy as first choice. I'm pretty positive about him scoring on the pitch as well as of it.

GrayBlade
27-07-2017, 02:23 PM
He'll defend from the front win headers or at least stop defenders clearing straight back giving our defence some breathing space and of course be useful at the back from corners,this type of player doesn't need to be blessed with electric pace to be effective you only have to look at peter crouch on Tuesday night when he came on won just about everything laid it off well kept possession and was a threat when the ball was delivered into the box

Yep I totally understand your point, time will tell Bully. I'll be over the moon for any of our players to prove me wrong and if Wilder and Knill think he can do a job in certain games that'll do for me.

shorehamoldboy
27-07-2017, 03:10 PM
got a feeling the one up top will be used away from home certainly at boro and most away games we will set up more or less 4 5 1 and i think lavery would be ideal in that sort of set up with carruthers and brooks in behind gonna be a very interesting season weve got a hungry set of players very much together on and off the pitch great team spirit and i think were gonna suprise a lot including our porcupine neighbours half way finish would be a fantastic season imo and not an impossibility utb ftp

RavBlade
28-07-2017, 08:31 AM
got a feeling the one up top will be used away from home certainly at boro and most away games we will set up more or less 4 5 1 and i think lavery would be ideal in that sort of set up with carruthers and brooks in behind gonna be a very interesting season weve got a hungry set of players very much together on and off the pitch great team spirit and i think were gonna suprise a lot including our porcupine neighbours half way finish would be a fantastic season imo and not an impossibility utb ftp

Lavery as lone striker? I'd have thought that role would be more suited to someone that can hold the ball up like Billy, Hanson or, even though he doesn't like that role, Clarke.

bulmer1889
28-07-2017, 09:59 AM
Certainly won't be starting with Brooks away from home he's goin to be solid 1st and foremost so I'm with rav it will be Billy or Hanson for me the ball would just come straight back at our defence as soon as they cleared it if lavery is up on his own

shorehamoldboy
28-07-2017, 12:14 PM
if your just wanting the lone striker to hold it up hanson or clarke are yer men running channels is laverys forte but you could be right lavery probably a last 20 min sub when defenders are tiring but i do think chris will start cautiously in first few away games with just one up top its his decision who fills that role best

GrayBlade
28-07-2017, 12:24 PM
Well we couldn't have a harder first away test then Boro, that's got one up front all over it.

rodcurrie
28-07-2017, 12:34 PM
Well we couldn't have a harder first away test then Boro, that's got one up front all over it.Boro have signed Ashley Fletcher for£6.5 million today,they obviously know what a tough game they've got wi us don't they? UTCB

shorehamoldboy
28-07-2017, 12:44 PM
your right there gray i think chris will go with one up top against boro probably will be billy pity baldocks injured could have gone with him at right back and freeman in front of him in a 4 5 1 set up and samir may well have leapfrogged duffy for the floating role with his pre season displays if we get a point at boro will be a fantastic result imo

bulmer1889
28-07-2017, 12:53 PM
Opinions opinions,carruthers not done it for me preseason perhaps I got spoilt with his 12 minutes at southend

bulmer1889
28-07-2017, 01:35 PM
Looks like Wigan are open to offers for Omar bogle 800k mentioned but don't know where that figure has come from,are they cutting back wages wise or are they not impressed so getting rid

rodcurrie
28-07-2017, 01:52 PM
Looks like Wigan are open to offers for Omar bogle 800k mentioned but don't know where that figure has come from,are they cutting back wages wise or are they not impressed so getting ridDunt fit Cooky's game plan(allegedly)Some BLADES were wantin us to get him when he was at Grimsby.UTCB

GrayBlade
28-07-2017, 02:58 PM
Don't know if it's true but when they were relegated I read some of their fans saying he'd been a bit of a bad egg in the dressing room so I'm not sure Chris would want him if so.

RonnieWaldock
28-07-2017, 03:35 PM
Don't know if it's true but when they were relegated I read some of their fans saying he'd been a bit of a bad egg in the dressing room so I'm not sure Chris would want him if so.

I've heard the "bad egg" reports as well. Perhaps that's the real reason Cooky wants him out.
Anyway, in my most humble opinion, he ain't good enough for us. We certainly could do better.
But I'm sure that CW and his staff know ALL about him - good or bad - and will act (or not) accordingly.

rodcurrie
28-07-2017, 03:45 PM
I've heard the "bad egg" reports as well. Perhaps that's the real reason Cooky wants him out.
Anyway, in my most humble opinion, he ain't good enough for us. We certainly could do better.
But I'm sure that CW and his staff know ALL about him - good or bad - and will act (or not) accordingly.Didn't Leon Clarke have a poor reputation also at one time Ronaldo? I honestly don't know much abart the lad.UTCB

Blade for Life
28-07-2017, 04:28 PM
Seem to remember Wigan being interested in Done, possible a cash plus Done deal for Bogle could be doable. I have faith that Wilder and the team spirit could bring this "maverick" in line. I believe he had a lot of potential that Wilder could bring out.