PDA

View Full Version : The old West Stand

Acido
26-07-2017, 05:09 PM
After seeing that old black n white photo of the West Stand on a different thread on here, it got me wondering. Its got to be demolished eventually hasn't it, and replaced with something more up-to-date and more comfortable that fits in with the 'modern' look that the stadium has today.

But when is the right time to do this, as all the talk at the moment is about spending decent amounts on players/strikers rather than on the stadium. Who would like to see it done as soon as possible ?.

Romared
26-07-2017, 05:30 PM
Dunt knoccit darn, just spruce it up moor , mi fust game at well wo watchin from theer , terrace north , it's old but quite unique in many ways , knock it darn and that's anutha part of arr history gon ? It needs a new roof accordin to mi neighbour who gets pi ss wet thru wennit rains :O

DragonTyke
26-07-2017, 05:36 PM
Dunt knoccit darn, just spruce it up moor , mi fust game at well wo watchin from theer , terrace north , it's old but quite unique in many ways , knock it darn and that's anutha part of arr history gon ? It needs a new roof accordin to mi neighbour who gets pi ss wet thru wennit rains :O

why do you post and write it in a weird attempt to seem as though its in a Yorkshire accent, you do realise its totally pathetic .

Romared
26-07-2017, 05:44 PM
It's a bit of fun that's all between me and a few others !! " pathetic " ? Each to their own , sorry it bothers you so much

Gwynn Thomas vs stum
26-07-2017, 05:52 PM
Leave it alone for for me, if any of the modern football turdies don't like the old features then they can suck mummy's cock

DragonTyke
26-07-2017, 05:56 PM
It's a bit of fun that's all between me and a few others !! " pathetic " ? Each to their own , sorry it bothers you so much

apologies fella , I was bit steamed up by a poster on the other site. I guess I snapped at you a bit, again ...sorry

DragonTyke
26-07-2017, 05:59 PM
well they restore old buildings don't they. Not saying the old west stand is a listed building by any means. But a new roof and some new panels at the back. Perhaps modernise the old wooden seats too. But it maybe the fact that it may be cheaper to knock it down and start again, this sometimes the case. I personally like the old west stand and think a makeover would be the better choice.

Romared
26-07-2017, 06:01 PM
Not a problem Dragon , as i said its a bit of fun between a number of us , it also confuses opponents fans too , B)

tiggertyke
26-07-2017, 06:07 PM
Leave Romared alone, if it wern't for the light hearted banter and slightly eccentric posters, would not read this site.
If it's not for you there are plenty of other sites that should suit you down to the ground.
I am in Cyprus and miss all that sort of thing and have to suffer Weeds (the gift that keeps on giving) fans droaning on.
Romared keep up the good work please.

DragonTyke
26-07-2017, 06:14 PM
Leave Romared alone, if it wern't for the light hearted banter and slightly eccentric posters, would not read this site.
If it's not for you there are plenty of other sites that should suit you down to the ground.
I am in Cyprus and miss all that sort of thing and have to suffer Weeds (the gift that keeps on giving) fans droaning on.
Romared keep up the good work please.

**** off thee..... al talk to 'im as ar see fit , so thar can tek reyt long walk of a shooart pier. ....... on another slant, are you living in Cyprus or on holiday.... I was in the R.A.F. and saw Cyprus many many times... loved it

Exiletyke
26-07-2017, 06:23 PM
After seeing that old black n white photo of the West Stand on a different thread on here, it got me wondering. Its got to be demolished eventually hasn't it, and replaced with something more up-to-date and more comfortable that fits in with the 'modern' look that the stadium has today.

But when is the right time to do this, as all the talk at the moment is about spending decent amounts on players/strikers rather than on the stadium. Who would like to see it done as soon as possible ?.

" But when is the right time to do this, as all the talk at the moment is about spending decent amounts on players/strikers rather than on the stadium. Who would like to see it done as soon as possible ?."

Aye & that's all it is Talk

Acido
26-07-2017, 06:33 PM

Its still an eyesore these days Roma, and it might be a cheaper job to just flatten it and replace it with something newer and better.
And maybe fans can buy a piece of the famous red brickwork round the back of it, as memorabilia. :P

DOOALI
26-07-2017, 06:35 PM
Get English Heritage to spruce it up and make it a grade listed building

Jules88
26-07-2017, 08:01 PM
Not a problem Dragon , as i said its a bit of fun between a number of us , it also confuses opponents fans too , B)

Ass geeyorr reeedin if tha gizzzorr r eye tin like tha Duzz Roma

pass_and_move
26-07-2017, 08:17 PM
Ass geeyorr reeedin if tha gizzzorr r eye tin like tha Duzz Roma

It's like topic o't old West Stand, tha teks that away, tha then teks away it's essential character

EastStandRed
26-07-2017, 08:20 PM
Knock it down

Romared
26-07-2017, 08:21 PM
Like a sed Itsa bit ov fun ! Nowt t gerrung up abart , arr blame SB n Pass :P at kno point is it ment t be offensive , dunt read it if it bothers you, a wint change am proud of our Town and it's dialect , like i sed it's only fun with others on here , you may think differently but i did have a decent Education !!! O:)

asbin
26-07-2017, 08:54 PM
I sit in west stand with my old mates. Leave it alone. We're used to getting wet when it rains and the wooden seats keep our bums warm in winter. 😊😊😊

perkytyke
26-07-2017, 09:26 PM
It needs knocking down so the new stand can be part of a new history! And the team could come out to play from where they should "The halfway lime"

Young_Nudger
26-07-2017, 10:23 PM
apologies fella , I was bit steamed up by a poster on the other site. I guess I snapped at you a bit, again ...sorry

Who wor it - point him art - and I'll smack the basturd!!!

Jules88
26-07-2017, 10:39 PM
Roma,
mi mother reckons shi's posh, and can cruise round the med, Russia, Carribean and all ovver... ( she wa Wombwell/Elsecar bred ...) talks lovely Queens English until She meets fowk that Are frum Barnsley and then she slips up . !!
Or when she mixes wi fowk frum tarn for a week on holiday.

She's never been to a match, ever !
But she's fight anyone ( and she's 75 ) who slagged Barnsley off as a town and Club

She moved to Denby dale as a kid and married a Huddersfield man (who became a Red). My great grandfather was a preacher at Elsecar church and baptised men down the mine.

She spent 4 or 5 years as a kid in Barnsley till she moved to D Dale with her mum and 3 sisters after my grandad died...
Father's Day we took mi dad to Oakwell for the lunch and she was so proud, and emotional.... I thought it was for him... but I think it was her who got the most out of it!
She was SO proud of the stadium, couldnt believe that the food, view,and facilities, were so good. We drive past the new Market and the new car parks and the top of town and she was agog at the transformation

She was so proud .

My point?
Sometimes we complain and moan, and have expectations about our town and club, that we perhaps have already exceeded.....
in our lifetime ( I'm 54) how far has this club/Town come? ( not just league position) but as a social/commercial/business. It's easy to be greedy.
She made me realise what Pride is...

Its always. It's wanting to see it getting better. ....
she said on the way home that "it's about time that things improved round here, and it looks like it is doing....., people have a poor impression of what this place is about... it looks like it's on the way up, there's no finer people"

There's NOWT wrong wi pride in the Town, the language we talk, write and the place we live in and Support.
She showed pride to me that day that I hope I never lose...

Romared
27-07-2017, 06:54 AM
:star::star::star::star:

Romared
27-07-2017, 07:09 AM
It wunt let mi put 5 stars on mi fust reply Jules , so eres tutha :star:

tarnmad
27-07-2017, 08:00 AM
I were sat next to a lad last week who said the recent revamp cost 90k

SBRed48
27-07-2017, 08:03 AM
Dragon, Aar carnt wurk art a wurd that Roma speyks n'all. Tows mi tripe art tryinna sooart it art mi owd.

It's a bitta fun, nobdy ez to read it if the dunt want.

If all we ed wo backbiting, points scooaring and name calling we might as well go on BBS which seems to have lost it's humour over the last two/ three years.

GUNTERYY36
27-07-2017, 08:11 AM

But shouldn't a forum be about all posters exchanging views and opinions? Not just a clique that can understand gibberish...

SBRed48
27-07-2017, 08:23 AM
But shouldn't a forum be about all posters exchanging views and opinions? Not just a clique that can understand gibberish...

It's a proud local heritage Gunt, not gibberish.

If tha wants gibberish try listening to them rappers bruv.

Exiletyke
27-07-2017, 08:30 AM

Strange but it only appeared on here less than 2 years ago
Prior to that no proud local heritage
Just saying

SBRed48
27-07-2017, 08:35 AM
Strange but it only appeared on here less than 2 years ago
Prior to that no proud local heritage
Just saying

People were trying to deny their heritage Ziles by writing posh.

Now is the time to come art and be proud. Tarnspeyk for all.

Exiletyke
27-07-2017, 09:00 AM
Exactly which people do you mean
I can count about 4 or 5
& you've just written "posh" except for two words :)

SBRed48
27-07-2017, 09:24 AM
Tintwurth falling art o'er Ziles. Mooist r us ev two styles a speyking

Standard English (posh) in an education setting, some types of employment, with strangers etc

Tarnspeyk with those we know locally of similar background/ heritage, particularly older members of the community

Sometimes the two mix together.

To remind us of past local times a few on here find humour in reminding arssen of past sounds and ways of doing things. It's harmless banter which sometimes brings a smile to peoples' faces. Azsed befooar, them that dunt wanta read it just ignore it.

animallittle3
27-07-2017, 09:28 AM
Personally I'd knock it down , however I'd replace it and try and keep as much of its character and incorporate it into the new structure .

Possibly a smallish cantilever design but with the original dormer sitting in the middle of the stand .

It would be called The Norman Rimmington Stand and it's naming rights wouldn't be for sale .

Romared
27-07-2017, 09:47 AM

Standard English (posh) in an education setting, some types of employment, with strangers etc

Tarnspeyk with those we know locally of similar background/ heritage, particularly older members of the community

To remind us of past local times a few on here find humour in reminding arssen of past sounds and ways of doing things. It's harmless banter which sometimes brings a smile to peoples' faces. Azsed befooar, them that dunt wanta read it just ignore it. appun a few cud read "Kestrel forra Knave" a book used for many years in English Literacy coorsus !!

Well sed Bruv :P al speyk tuthi lateron !!

Exiletyke
27-07-2017, 09:55 AM

To remind us of past local times a few on here find humour in reminding arssen of past sounds and ways of doing things. It's harmless banter which sometimes brings a smile to peoples' faces. Azsed befooar, them that dunt wanta read it just ignore it.

Who's falling out just a difference of opinion that's all
but just to remind you there was no sign of this heritage on here two years ago

Romared
27-07-2017, 10:09 AM
Marmite poorstas !! :P

Acido
27-07-2017, 12:46 PM
Personally I'd knock it down , however I'd replace it and try and keep as much of its character and incorporate it into the new structure .
Possibly a smallish cantilever design but with the original dormer sitting in the middle of the stand .
It would be called The Norman Rimmington Stand and it's naming rights wouldn't be for sale .

Tahh for trying to keep to the thread subject Animal & Tarnmad, as its just gone off onto something else altogether now.

I like the idea of it being demolished and a new stand being named after Rimmo. Id like to see them bring back the players entrance on the half way line again if that were possible.

pass_and_move
27-07-2017, 02:17 PM

I'd go along with that but then again there's no Championship points on offer for spending money rebuilding a stand rather giving it to Hecky

Exiletyke
27-07-2017, 02:27 PM
I'd go along with that but then again there's no Championship points on offer for spending money rebuilding a stand rather giving it to Hecky

Has there ever been Championship points on offer
Good job we didn't think that way when 3 sides of the ground were redeveloped
Those who sit in the East Stand would still be in the old Brewery stand [perhaps not a bad idea]
Not sure if we should consolidate first in the Championship but teams come & go, playing fortunes wax & wane but the ground could & should go on improving
In any event GTBCFI

no1_robbo
27-07-2017, 02:27 PM
why do you post and write it in a weird attempt to seem as though its in a Yorkshire accent, you do realise its totally pathetic .

have you not been reading these threads long or something? where are you from?

pass_and_move
27-07-2017, 02:49 PM
Has there ever been Championship points on offer
Good job we didn't think that way when 3 sides of the ground were redeveloped
Those who sit in the East Stand would still be in the old Brewery stand [perhaps not a bad idea]
Not sure if we should consolidate first in the Championship but teams come & go, playing fortunes wax & wane but the ground could & should go on improving
In any event GTBCFI

It was a necessity to redevelop those 3 sides of the ground Exile, they didn't meet with the Taylor Report.

Exiletyke
27-07-2017, 05:15 PM
It was a necessity to redevelop those 3 sides of the ground Exile, they didn't meet with the Taylor Report.

So we only improve things when we are forced to P&M
Sounds a bit Sheff Wednesday to me
How does the present day West Stand shape up to the Taylor Report?
We aren't exactly spending a fortune on players or the ground so what are we doing with all this cash?

pass_and_move
27-07-2017, 05:46 PM
So we only improve things when we are forced to P&M
Sounds a bit Sheff Wednesday to me
How does the present day West Stand shape up to the Taylor Report?
We aren't exactly spending a fortune on players or the ground so what are we doing with all this cash?

It must fit football LG safety standards otherwise it'd be shut.

If we had an average attendance of 20k it'd be worth doing Exile cos it'd pay for itself quicker. As it stands we could comfortably accommodate home fans in 3 sides of the ground. The West stands not deemed unsafe so to me it's not a priority. Rebuilding it would be pointless cos it only gets a quarter full at present. Its like a single bloke living in a 4 bed detached house. Pointless and a waste of space

Romared
27-07-2017, 07:08 PM

Romared
27-07-2017, 07:12 PM
Gibberish is better than racist tho , N------rs ? Shameful yoo dumb head :mad:
it's the norm for you though , you are disgraceful , i don't like you , BIGOT , You are a crank so go away

Exiletyke
27-07-2017, 08:04 PM
it's the norm for you though , you are disgraceful , i don't like you , BIGOT , You are a crank so go away

N------rs
Where do you get from?

Romared
27-07-2017, 08:35 PM
Exile mate I'm sure I don't have to spell it out to you !! You read the posts like us all , this crank Gunt goes beyond the boundaries , i have never had or will have time for the likes of him and all his Racist guffaw , :mad:

Back to original post please , upgrade and like Mesta A sed keep and renovate the Gantry / Dormer , and a new roof and improve and renew seating areas ! Sir Norman Rimington Stand would be a great gesture for himself and his family , A great man who gave everything to our club :heart:

tarnmad
27-07-2017, 08:45 PM
Its embarrassing I'm off to Rotherham on Saturday I'm dreading the sick chants about the poor kids that were rapped that some mindless idiots were singing last year , it's not big and it's not clever it's 2017

animallittle3
28-07-2017, 08:40 AM

True but the west stand is starting to cost money just to keep it open .

It's like having an oldish car , there comes a point when you have to think is it viable to keep spending brass every year to keep it running .

GUNTERYY36
28-07-2017, 01:48 PM

Tha wants to carm darn a bit old lad thall be mekkin thissen badly the way thaz gooin on. Like. ;D

anstonred
28-07-2017, 02:07 PM
When we were young kids, me & r kid used to go with r dad (& his best Nate, Maurice) into the "stand" and pay an extra 6d (not 6p) to go up to the seats (& get a cushion) - many, many years we were there (until the East Stand opened and we got season tickets there) - so ... We both have many memories of it (I'm 63 & he's 59), find, fond memories .... We need to move forward and get a new stand (if the finance is there)

GUNTERYY36
28-07-2017, 02:26 PM
Maybe more nostalgic than fond, AnstonRed. Remember the half time score board with its 'state of the art' numbers, Blaze Away by Sousa, splinters in the wooden seats and 3500 whinging because Bob Earnshaw wouldn't cut inside and a 0-3 home defeat to York leaving them in danger of having to apply for re-election!

Romared
28-07-2017, 02:38 PM
Tha wants to carm darn a bit old lad thall be mekkin thissen badly the way thaz gooin on. Like. ;D

;D tha gerrin theer :O

SBRed48
28-07-2017, 05:03 PM

Good first effort. Shows promise. Could be improved by--

1 Removing the z from "thaz" so it reads "the way tha gooin on"

2 "old lad" should be "mi owd"

3 Not sure about the meaning of "Like" at the end. Is it liking the post or meaning Tarn speykers add a "like" to the end of a sentence ? If the latter it needs deleting.

See Miss Rose in the Top Classroom. Shill sooart thi art.

Romared
28-07-2017, 05:33 PM
Good game bit ov fun !! No cliques gerrin to Tarnspeyk !! It's thu way forrard :P

pass_and_move
28-07-2017, 05:47 PM
Good game bit ov fun !! No cliques gerrin to Tarnspeyk !! It's thu way forrard :P

Tha reight theer mukka. A reckun aif o these lot ent red 'Tommy Tyke sez' int match day programs. Towd Lodgie used to write that. Ee knew are to du tarnspeyk back int day.

Romared
28-07-2017, 06:48 PM
An wat Sam sed int Chronicle wa oreyt anorl !! Tarnspeyk for all young or small , !! So geeor torkin posh nar :P

DOOALI
28-07-2017, 07:17 PM
It's OK on this forum and I speak it when with mates but a big question here would anyone like their young children to speak it or talk politely???

GUNTERYY36
28-07-2017, 07:22 PM
Good first effort. Shows promise. Could be improved by--

1 Removing the z from "thaz" so it reads "the way tha gooin on"

2 "old lad" should be "mi owd"

3 Not sure about the meaning of "Like" at the end. Is it liking the post or meaning Tarn speykers add a "like" to the end of a sentence ? If the latter it needs deleting.

See Miss Rose in the Top Classroom. Shill sooart thi art.

Don't push it, SBR. :D

Exiletyke
28-07-2017, 07:37 PM
Don't push it, SBR. :D

You see Gunt you give it a try & immediately the grammar police are on your case :P
I used to correct Roma's written English a year or two ago but was always called headmaster or teacher
His spelling / grammar was that bad I think that's why he turned to this style Covers a multitude of sins :P:)

I will guarantee that there is no proper way of spelling as it is spoken as every broad Yorkshire speaker will speak it differently

BTW SB was that Miss Rose who taught RE at the old Ed Sheerien school

Acido
28-07-2017, 10:05 PM
RIP to the original subject of this thread... 'The old West Stand', you will be sadly missed. :(

Gwynn Thomas vs stum
29-07-2017, 08:27 AM
I would pay double for my season ticket if we could have the old brewery back with the same atmosphere.

SBRed48
29-07-2017, 08:30 AM
You see Gunt you give it a try & immediately the grammar police are on your case :P
I used to correct Roma's written English a year or two ago but was always called headmaster or teacher
His spelling / grammar was that bad I think that's why he turned to this style Covers a multitude of sins :P:)

I will guarantee that there is no proper way of spelling as it is spoken as every broad Yorkshire speaker will speak it differently

BTW SB was that Miss Rose who taught RE at the old Ed Sheerien school

No Ziles. It wo Miss Rose who allus tuk the oldest "top" class at Doduth Green Rooad Primary in the late 50's / early 60's. She wo a reyt tyrant old lass. Nivva tuk to her after she ripped a page arta mi diary that ad written abart Barnsley beeating Luton in 1959 wi a Jack Lunn lob. And she ed mi caned by Mr Beevers.

Exiletyke
29-07-2017, 09:04 AM
No Ziles. It wo Miss Rose who allus tuk the oldest "top" class at Doduth Green Rooad Primary in the late 50's / early 60's. She wo a reyt tyrant old lass. Nivva tuk to her after she ripped a page arta mi diary that ad written abart Barnsley beeating Luton in 1959 wi a Jack Lunn lob. And she ed mi caned by Mr Beevers.

Thanks Just wondered SB
I saw an old episode of Last Of the Summer Wine the other day & noticed an appearance by Dodworth Colliery Brass Band
Brought back some memories
Are they still going?
Think I saw them at the Miners Gala in Staincross in the late fifties when my girlfriend now wife won the Miss Miners Welfare title & she's still lovely now
We used to sit in the West Stand then [just to get back to topic before I upset Acido]

SBRed48
29-07-2017, 09:13 AM
A dunt know Ziles.

They ev played on the Oakwell pitch and cud be 'erd in the WEST STAND.

(Get your lass to read thi last pooast and tha certain fo toneet.)

Exiletyke
29-07-2017, 09:16 AM
She'd latch on straight away SB & besides it's not my birthday

Romared
29-07-2017, 09:32 AM
Duz these recent improvements t Wes Stand meeun ittul b opun ont north side anorl ? Or ev SYP stuck tha beerks in ageeun ?

Warrabart tekkin sum seearts art and evva safe standin area ?

Acido
29-07-2017, 12:45 PM
I would pay double for my season ticket if we could have the old brewery back with the same atmosphere.

I remember not liking how it looked when the Brewery stand and then the Pontyend and then the Kop end all got demolished one by one. But the improvements are there to be seen now and the West stand now simply sticks out like a sore thumb.

One thing that disgusted me at the time though and it has been discussed on here before, is how little leeway the FL gave us in Aug '94 when they forced their all seater deadline on us. But didnt loads of other Champship teams (Grimsby, Southend, Derby, Notts County, Swindon, Portsmouth, Reading, & Sunderland ?) ALL get to keep standing areas at their grounds for an extended time.

Exiletyke
02-08-2017, 09:22 AM
I remember not liking how it looked when the Brewery stand and then the Pontyend and then the Kop end all got demolished one by one. But the improvements are there to be seen now and the West stand now simply sticks out like a sore thumb.

One thing that disgusted me at the time though and it has been discussed on here before, is how little leeway the FL gave us in Aug '94 when they forced their all seater deadline on us. But didnt loads of other Champship teams (Grimsby, Southend, Derby, Notts County, Swindon, Portsmouth, Reading, & Sunderland ?) ALL get to keep standing areas at their grounds for an extended time.

Just noticed
Steve Cryne Stadium Manager
Any relation?

Romared
02-08-2017, 11:09 AM
Brother