PDA

View Full Version : O/T Anyone still into fishing?

Brin
29-07-2017, 09:10 AM
Not been for two years now but with retirement on the horizon I can see a few days looming.

Since SYPAC let the lease on Brampton go I've lost the urge hence the two years lapse.
Thing is I find tranquility when fishing and it's good to ponder lifes events and also allows that free time away from what can sometimes be a hectic way of life.

kempo
29-07-2017, 09:32 AM
FFS..This is a message board for football fans and you post about fishing!

Brin
29-07-2017, 05:10 PM
😄😄😄

PokerMillersSwinton
29-07-2017, 05:12 PM
kempo likes to fish ... So does his 8 other multis on here .

crashbang
29-07-2017, 05:33 PM
Sea fishing or beach fishing as I do now , is the way to go.
Catching captive fish in a lake etc is no sport.
In the sea you never know what you will get.
If you have no sucess ,remember it is called fishing, not catching.

crashbang
29-07-2017, 05:34 PM
FFS..This is a message board for football fans and you post about fishing!

And you post bollix

Brin
29-07-2017, 05:48 PM
Sea fishing or beach fishing as I do now , is the way to go.
Catching captive fish in a lake etc is no sport.
In the sea you never know what you will get.
If you have no sucess ,remember it is called fishing, not catching.

Crash get your point in bringing the catch home but leisure fishing is a skill and the sheer pleasure of landing a beautiful fish and returning it to its environment is very pleasing indeed.

CAMiller
30-07-2017, 12:50 AM
Funnily enough Brin I'd just read this post and was flicking around TV channels and came across Major League Fishing. They were showing the final of a competition where 4 professionals were let loose on a lake they'd never seen or fished before. Was pretty boring watching them pull out a plethora of 2-3lb Bass. I'll stick to watching professional hot dog eating in future XD

monty_rhodes
30-07-2017, 06:15 AM
Not been for two years now but with retirement on the horizon I can see a few days looming.

Since SYPAC let the lease on Brampton go I've lost the urge hence the two years lapse.
Thing is I find tranquility when fishing and it's good to ponder lifes events and also allows that free time away from what can sometimes be a hectic way of life.

I love it, Brin, but never been much good at it. Tried everything including fly fishing, sea, beachcasting (never got the hang of casting and I frigging hate multiplier reels) spinning for pike, deadbaiting and, of course, coarse fishing. Used to go on the Sunday coaches from Grices, poached a bit (a lot actually) at Greasbro' Dams, sneaked into Ravenfield Ponds for carp a few times (think Steelos had the lease?) and fished Elsecarr but don't remember ever catching anything there. Once bought a licence to fish for salmon on the Lune; cost a lot and never had a bite.

Brin
30-07-2017, 08:19 AM
I love it, Brin, but never been much good at it. Tried everything including fly fishing, sea, beachcasting (never got the hang of casting and I frigging hate multiplier reels) spinning for pike, deadbaiting and, of course, coarse fishing. Used to go on the Sunday coaches from Grices, poached a bit (a lot actually) at Greasbro' Dams, sneaked into Ravenfield Ponds for carp a few times (think Steelos had the lease?) and fished Elsecarr but don't remember ever catching anything there. Once bought a licence to fish for salmon on the Lune; cost a lot and never had a bite.

Sounds like you had great fun along the way.

Grices coaches...wow you're going back there a bit.

White railings at the dyke.Forty four drain etc, remember them trips well.

kempo
30-07-2017, 09:55 AM
And you post bollix

Hic!

monty_rhodes
30-07-2017, 10:38 AM
Sounds like you had great fun along the way.

Grices coaches...wow you're going back there a bit.

White railings at the dyke.Forty four drain etc, remember them trips well.

Probably around 1964-68. Used to go to Keadby Drains a lot but only remember catching one fish, a small perch. I went usually with my cousin and we were both pretty hopeless. Learned everything I knew from the Mr Crabtree Goes Fishing.

Brin
30-07-2017, 10:59 AM
Probably around 1964-68. Used to go to Keadby Drains a lot but only remember catching one fish, a small perch. I went usually with my cousin and we were both pretty hopeless. Learned everything I knew from the Mr Crabtree Goes Fishing.

Haha. No what you mean back in the day.

Fisdyke also rings s bell with me. Probably went around 72-73 era. Some bloody cold mornings and all in the love of fishing.

Largest ever caught was a 68lb conger eel off Alderney deep sea wreck fishing. First time ever and boy did we all scatter on to the engine housing when the captain got it on boards the deck 😄

crashbang
30-07-2017, 11:22 AM
Crash get your caught in bringing the catch home but leisure fishing is a skill and the sheer pleasure of landing a beautiful fish and returning it to its environment is very pleasing indeed.

I to return most of my catch, a lot caught from the beach are below quota size.
Some like smooth hounds are sport fish anyway.
JUst nice to get on the beach 2 hours before flood and 2 hours after.
Happy days.

bogsdollox
30-07-2017, 02:03 PM

Would that be Jack Grice ? What a great guy.I used to go fishing with Jack and the Rotherham Co-Op angling section - great days.Currently fishing river Idle and River Ryton - great little rivers and not forgetting the rejuvenated river Dearne - free fishing and full of minted fish which have never been caught before- had 6 LB barbel last year.Idle is fishing well but you need to find a place where you can actually get to the water.Tight lines !

monty_rhodes
30-07-2017, 02:14 PM
Would that be Jack Grice ? What a great guy.I used to go fishing with Jack and the Rotherham Co-Op angling section - great days.Currently fishing river Idle and River Ryton - great little rivers and not forgetting the rejuvenated river Dearne - free fishing and full of minted fish which have never been caught before- had 6 LB barbel last year.Idle is fishing well but you need to find a place where you can actually get to the water.Tight lines !

That I don't know, bogs. It was just the fishing tackle shop but don't know the owner's first name. River idle was beautiful though I never fished it. Remarkable how barbel have spread: back in the 60s you had to fish the Hampshire Avon to get one.

Archiemiller
30-07-2017, 02:31 PM
Go and treat yourself to a permit for Ravenfield ponds Brin,you wont be disappointed mate...On the point of Jack Grice bus are you getting mistaken for Gordons that used to run fishing trips through 60s 70s every sunday morning to Crowland (river welland) you could drop off at Winthorpe Bridge (river trent) or market deeping,then be picked up at same point on return trip, great days out for about 7/6d if i remember correctly, then through winter months they went up North Yorks dropping off on the Swale at cundall then on to Butterwick (river rye) close to flamingo zoo. Happy days. Oh bye the way once tried fly fishing and caught a 3lb bluebottle.;D;D

monty_rhodes
30-07-2017, 02:46 PM
Go and treat yourself to a permit for Ravenfield ponds Brin,you wont be disappointed mate...On the point of Jack Grice bus are you getting mistaken for Gordons that used to run fishing trips through 60s 70s every sunday morning to Crowland (river welland) you could drop off at Winthorpe Bridge (river trent) or market deeping,then be picked up at same point on return trip, great days out for about 7/6d if i remember correctly, then through winter months they went up North Yorks dropping off on the Swale at cundall then on to Butterwick (river rye) close to flamingo zoo. Happy days. Oh bye the way once tried fly fishing and caught a 3lb bluebottle.;D;D

Archie, yes I probably am. I associate it with Grice's though but it was over 50 years ago so I may be misremembering. Definitely remember the late 60s sea fishing trips from the Bridge Inn to Whitby organised by the landlord and a bloke called Arthur Steele.

PokerMillersSwinton
30-07-2017, 03:09 PM
Had a brief spell trying to fish wasn't much cop at it. But i do remember bakers pond in Kilnhurst was teaming with fish for some reason. You could not fail to catch 20 or 30 in a day.Usually Perch,Rudd,Roach, Bream and Dace.Somebody did tell me there were Pike and Carp in there i am assuming if there was pike they were big considering the amount of small Roach,Rudd and alike The story was people where catching them from the canal and releasing them in the pond. No idea if its still there, probably not it was like 25 years ago now.

CAMiller
30-07-2017, 03:19 PM
Grice's Fishing Tackle used to have an advertising sign at Millmoor above the Millmoor Lane open terrace at the Railway End. I remember my Dad putting me up on the wall in front of it and watching Jim Furnell making his Millmoor debut (I think it was his debut).

Archiemiller
30-07-2017, 04:31 PM
Had a brief spell trying to fish wasn't much cop at it. But i do remember bakers pond in Kilnhurst was teaming with fish for some reason. You could not fail to catch 20 or 30 in a day.Usually Perch,Rudd,Roach, Bream and Dace.Somebody did tell me there were Pike and Carp in there i am assuming if there was pike they were big considering the amount of small Roach,Rudd and alike The story was people where catching them from the canal and releasing them in the pond. No idea if its still there, probably not it was like 25 years ago now.

Bakers pond still thriving mate, it is jointly run by KDAA and Phoenix AA who own Ravenfield ponds so if anybody joins they can fish 5 ponds at Ravenfield, plus Bakers pond, Kilnhurst canal, and river Don all for less than £50 i believe..Great value.:)

kempo
30-07-2017, 09:27 PM
FFS..

Most of you lot must be ancient and posting from a care home.

You shouldn't be living in the past..make the most of the here and now as it sounds to me like you fellas ain't got that long to go.

Jack Grice and Riley's FFS.......

millavanilla
30-07-2017, 09:41 PM
I fished all my life..been all over the country and spent thousands of pounds on it..if id got a ten spot for every time ive been through maltby and blyth to the A1 id be a rich man..every saturday when the millers were away, every sunday, and used most of my holiday days for midweek.. in the not too distant future ill be moving to hunmanby where theres 2 lovely lakes down the gardens, ill never be off em..

mikemiller
31-07-2017, 07:33 AM
Furnell's Millmoor debut was v Torquay U. 14/09/68 (won 1-0, Legatt scored)
His club debut was previous week at Brighton & HA (drew 2-2, Bentley and Tiler scored)

Brin
31-07-2017, 08:16 AM
FFS..

Most of you lot must be ancient and posting from a care home.

You shouldn't be living in the past..make the most of the here and now as it sounds to me like you fellas ain't got that long to go.

Jack Grice and Riley's FFS.......

You sound almost jealous, like you lead a sheltered almost hermit like childhood. Was it private schooling being looked after by BIG BOYS who dished out regular spanking sessions to you?

Brin
31-07-2017, 08:26 AM

Archie, correct, yes it was Gordon's and their depot was just off Fitzwilliam Road back in the day. Freezing cold mornings and the coaches were like ice buckets when you first got on one.

The 'white railing' seems to stick out more than anything. Think that was the fourty foot drain? Looking back I recall a gang of us as 15-18 year olds meeting up on sometimes foggy/misty mornings and trudging off down to Gordon's for the 6am bus. Happy days.

Fished Ravenfield once as a kid not much else but I do read up on the angling section in the Tizer on Friday's and it often shows decent catch weights. Might give this one a go now SYPAC have relented on Brampton.

Called in to look the other day and everything is overgrown and turned back over to Mother Nature and the lake looked in superb condition. Shame about its closure but the old guy that owns it wanted too much for it so SYPAC called time on the lease.

Archiemiller
31-07-2017, 10:52 AM
Archie, correct, yes it was Gordon's and their depot was just off Fitzwilliam Road back in the day. Freezing cold mornings and the coaches were like ice buckets when you first got on one.

The 'white railing' seems to stick out more than anything. Think that was the fourty foot drain? Looking back I recall a gang of us as 15-18 year olds meeting up on sometimes foggy/misty mornings and trudging off down to Gordon's for the 6am bus. Happy days.

Fished Ravenfield once as a kid not much else but I do read up on the angling section in the Tizer on Friday's and it often shows decent catch weights. Might give this one a go now SYPAC have relented on Brampton.

Called in to look the other day and everything is overgrown and turned back over to Mother Nature and the lake looked in superb condition. Shame about its closure but the old guy that owns it wanted too much for it so SYPAC called time on the lease.

Go and have a look round Brin or have a look on Ravenfield ponds facebook,they have open days where you can go and fish for free for the day, cant beat that TRY BEFORE YOU BUY. ps we might have been on the same Gordons bus all them years ago freezin our nuts off LOL at least the maggots dint sweat (nowt worse).:)

Archiemiller
31-07-2017, 11:08 AM
I fished all my life..been all over the country and spent thousands of pounds on it..if id got a ten spot for every time ive been through maltby and blyth to the A1 id be a rich man..every saturday when the millers were away, every sunday, and used most of my holiday days for midweek.. in the not too distant future ill be moving to hunmanby where theres 2 lovely lakes down the gardens, ill never be off em..

Is it Rosedale fisheries in Hunmanby MV if it is been quite a few times, loads of carp in 4 to 8lb bracket, had some big weights, luncheon meat or corn fished really close in worked best for me....them little carp f8 harder than we used to ont TIVOLI ;D;D

bogsdollox
31-07-2017, 01:14 PM
Last year I had 15 barbel out of the Dearne in one session at Aldwick in the cattle drink ,largest was 6" long ,they must be breeding like mad in there.

That I don't know, bogs. It was just the fishing tackle shop but don't know the owner's first name. River idle was beautiful though I never fished it. Remarkable how barbel have spread: back in the 60s you had to fish the Hampshire Avon to get one.

Brin
31-07-2017, 01:45 PM
Go and have a look round Brin or have a look on Ravenfield ponds facebook,they have open days where you can go and fish for free for the day, cant beat that TRY BEFORE YOU BUY. ps we might have been on the same Gordons bus all them years ago freezin our nuts off LOL at least the maggots dint sweat (nowt worse).:)

Cheers will do

Brin
31-07-2017, 01:46 PM
Last year I had 15 barbel out of the Dearne in one session at Aldwick in the cattle drink ,largest was 6" long ,they must be breeding like mad in there.

Thanks for this info. Can you be more specific as I'm not use to that area cheers, have a mate who lives out at Donny so he'd probably make one up with me.

Archiemiller
31-07-2017, 02:21 PM
If you havnt been fishing for a few years Brin you dont want to be sat on the Dearne twigglin your thumbs pal its a very hard river to fish and it runs low and clear for most of the year(not good for sport), a few anglers i know fish the Dearne at night because they catch bugga all in daylight...stick to a pond thats full of hungry fish, there is loads in this area, not like it used to be 50 odd years ago ie Greasbro dam, Elsecar, and Worsbro that was yer lot.

Grist_To_The_Mill
31-07-2017, 02:55 PM
Huntin' shootin' fishin'

What do you guys reckon to this?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-40773618

Note how the BBC is trying to link it to football.

millavanilla
31-07-2017, 07:25 PM
Is it Rosedale fisheries in Hunmanby MV if it is been quite a few times, loads of carp in 4 to 8lb bracket, had some big weights, luncheon meat or corn fished really close in worked best for me....them little carp f8 harder than we used to ont TIVOLI ;D;D
Yes thats it archie..thanks for the info..

kempo
31-07-2017, 09:11 PM
You sound almost jealous, like you lead a sheltered almost hermit like childhood. Was it private schooling being looked after by BIG BOYS who dished out regular spanking sessions to you?

To be honest RGS although not private was run a bit like a public school by GEG the headmaster.

The prefects were allowed to give the younger boys a flogging.

Geetarman
31-07-2017, 09:19 PM
To be honest RGS although not private was run a bit like a public school by GEG the headmaster.

The prefects were allowed to give the younger boys a flogging.

So today you are 63 and went to RGS. Sorry, I forgot what you were yesterday. Was it 57 and South Grove, your normal fallback, Dr Mitty?

kempo
31-07-2017, 09:32 PM
So today you are 63 and went to RGS. Sorry, I forgot what you were yesterday. Was it 57 and South Grove, your normal fallback, Dr Mitty?

I am surprised you dare show yourself fella after the kicking I gave you over admission.

Clearly you were not admitted to a decent English class at school.

If you are happy with 63 and South Grove then I am happy to agree as it may help your obsessional disorder.

Remember I also agreed that I am a newsagent or hospital porter or whatever rests easily with you.

Check those taps again as I think you may have left one running.

Nice to hear from you and I hope the bar work went ok this evening.

I will be off on another cruise in September but I will keep you up to speed nearer the time.

Lots of love Zilzal/IBS/ Monty/brin

CAMiller
31-07-2017, 09:39 PM
Furnell's Millmoor debut was v Torquay U. 14/09/68 (won 1-0, Legatt scored)
His club debut was previous week at Brighton & HA (drew 2-2, Bentley and Tiler scored)
Thanks for that Mike. Day before my birthday so probably a birthday treat. Only 49 years ago :-(

Geetarman
31-07-2017, 09:53 PM
I am surprised you dare show yourself fella after the kicking I gave you over admission.

If you are happy with 63 and South Grove then I am happy to agree as it may help your obsessional disorder.

Remember I also agreed that I am a newsagent or hospital porter or whatever rests easily with you.

I will be off on another cruise in September but I will keep you up to speed nearer the time.

Only one poster on here with obsessional disorder, and that's the one that boasts about buying six supermarket oysters, the one who thinks that cruises are so "upper class" then realises that it's what bored geriatrics with a few bob do for fun.

You really are a very strange little man.

And yes, I got an A level in English Language at RGS. You? I'll " finnish" and join my better half in bed. She is happy that I don't have an ego issue or a gambling problem.

Archiemiller
01-08-2017, 04:25 PM

EXCUSE ME, this was a fishing thread Kempo but as usual you have turned it into your phukin silly R.G.S. debate,no wonder people are leaving this site in their droves...PHUK OFF.

mikemiller
01-08-2017, 06:36 PM
Thanks for that Mike. Day before my birthday so probably a birthday treat. Only 49 years ago :-(

I was at that match too. Can't remember much about it though, other than Furnell putting in an assured home debut performance... and I definitely don't recall any adverts inside Millmoor for fishing tackle ! I was never really interested in fishing, although my uncle was a keen fisherman, and probably went on some of the coach trips previously mentioned, as he didn't have a car.

Ellis_D
05-08-2017, 03:02 PM
Fishing, much like golf, is for sad, boring old men with little or no *** life.

Ellis_D
05-08-2017, 03:06 PM
And the thing is, you fellas who go fishing or play golf know what I am saying is true, even if you can't admit it on here. Either you don't have a mrs or she rarely lets you bring your tackle or wood anywhere near her anymore.

So instead you have taken to trying to put your maggot in a fish's mouth, or trying to go balls deep in a different hole. Sad little men with sad little lives.

CAMiller
05-08-2017, 06:08 PM
You've obviously never been a 'member' of a private golf club Ellis, maybe your initials are giving away something with regards your own ***ual prowess ;D

As for the fishing tackle sign on Millmoor Lane, hopefully one of my fellow old timers on here can confirm or maybe I'll trawl some old videos on youtube to see if I can spot it.

monty_rhodes
05-08-2017, 06:18 PM
You've obviously never been a 'member' of a private golf club Ellis, maybe your initials are giving away something with regards your own ***ual prowess ;D

As for the fishing tackle sign on Millmoor Lane, hopefully one of my fellow old timers on here can confirm or maybe I'll trawl some old videos on youtube to see if I can spot it.
I find it interesting that Ellis refers to "*** life" in more than half his posts. I am proud to be old, sad, boring and celibate.
f

kempo
05-08-2017, 06:56 PM
Great posting from Ellis and my professional opinion looking at the characters involved is that he has got this one absolutely spot on.

crashbang
05-08-2017, 07:03 PM
Caught a very small fish at chapel yesterday, just about to unhook it then spotted it was a Weaver .lucky escape .
Some flatties and codling later.

Ellis_D
06-08-2017, 12:38 AM
I find it interesting that Ellis refers to "*** life" in more than half his posts. I am proud to be old, sad, boring and celibate.
f

Lol, do I? Really? Well, this is no laughing matter, I have a really addictive personality, and that made me addicted to several drugs in my past - cannabis, ecstasy, speed and cocaine. I kicked all those addictions without any help, just my own willpower.

But I also have a *** addiction, a very high *** drive. I honestly never knew I spoke about *** a lot on here though, must do it without thinking or when I am drunk. (An alcohol addiction is not something I am able to face up to yet, that one is a constant, daily battle). I am finally realising I need help.

CAMiller
25-08-2017, 05:13 AM
All you fishermen, get yer tackle out and get over here. High tides earlier this week related to the eclipse (apparently) destroyed the pens of Atlantic Salmon being farmed off the coast here in the Pacific waters and there is panic afoot about the impact of them upsetting the ecosystems of the native breeds. As a consequence it's open season with fishermen being told to take as many as you want as long as you report the count so they can measure when the 305,000 escapees have been captured.

monty_rhodes
25-08-2017, 07:37 AM
All you fishermen, get yer tackle out and get over here. High tides earlier this week related to the eclipse (apparently) destroyed the pens of Atlantic Salmon being farmed off the coast here in the Pacific waters and there is panic afoot about the impact of them upsetting the ecosystems of the native breeds. As a consequence it's open season with fishermen being told to take as many as you want as long as you report the count so they can measure when the 305,000 escapees have been captured.

I predict it will be yummy for the Lummi. Billion dollar law suits here we come.

monty_rhodes
26-08-2017, 04:58 PM
I predict it will be yummy for the Lummi. Billion dollar law suits here we come.

Bump. Cam, I realise you're afraid of offending the First Nation mob but you should answer posts as it's only polite. Even for the Gestapo.

CAMiller
26-08-2017, 05:07 PM
Bump. Cam, I realise you're afraid of offending the First Nation mob but you should answer posts as it's only polite. Even for the Gestapo.

Sorry Monty - your reply slipped through my tight net of security that I apply on here XD Not really sure who'll end up paying on this one in addition to the tribes I've heard a few large company names being banded about. They think the damage to the pens may have been not due to the tides but more due to the simple weight of fish. It looks to me like someone drove an aircraft carrier through them. All in all it's 3,000,000lbs of fish gone that was due to be sold starting today. Not sure what that's cost them wholesale but it retails at about $10/lb.

PS Nice to see you paying homage to Ingrid albeit a few years late ;D

Brin
26-08-2017, 05:41 PM
Now do I go fishing next week or do I start to take cannabis, ecstasy, speed and cocaine?

Difficult this one.....

Oh Yeh I'll do the sensible thing and go fishing.

BTW Ellis...for the record my *** life is great! ;D