PDA

View Full Version : So what we learned today

Silentman
29-07-2017, 06:05 PM
That even though Radrizzego is a media magnate he seems to have overlooked the fact that LUTV is still sh1t; Sako is still sh1t, Hernandez still can't complete simple passes and Wiedwald's distribution sucks; O'Kane needs to start and was hard done to last season not getting enough pitch time and likewise Roofe has shone through all pre season and must start and that Berardi is still Berardi thank goodness. Still not convinced this is a promotion winning squad yet.

pete1967b
29-07-2017, 07:53 PM
That even though Radrizzego is a media magnate he seems to have overlooked the fact that LUTV is still sh1t; Sako is still sh1t, Hernandez still can't complete simple passes and Wiedwald's distribution sucks; O'Kane needs to start and was hard done to last season not getting enough pitch time and likewise Roofe has shone through all pre season and must start and that Berardi is still Berardi thank goodness. Still not convinced this is a promotion winning squad yet.

Have to agree having been today about all of that,Dont understand the starting 11 that played for most of the game, If thats our managers best team we are fecked, What is up with Pontus? unless i have missed something didnt even get used,On a positive there is quality in there if the mix is right, The lad who replaced hernandez had quality written all over him,Also where was Viera he should be in midfield,Was hard today friendly and all that but if that was players playing for their shirts then i dont get it,Beradi, Wood and Eukane apart and the lad whom i mentioned are the only ones today that i could credit, One things for sure noone could guess the line up for the start of season...

norfolk white
29-07-2017, 07:58 PM
Pontus is suspended for first two games so no point playing him, didn't go today but hopefully that chrisriansenn will get it right.

lasher
29-07-2017, 09:02 PM
Agree with the previous posts. Wiedwald didn't look convincing buy it's only 1 quiet game I guess.
Alioski didn't get into it really. Pennington did very well. Controlled aggression and quick to block and intercept.
Saiz looked real class when he came on.
Good goal from Roofe who looks stronger and more confident.
Brilliant strike from Dallas.
Agree Okane needs more opportunity as he has more guile than some in the midfield but still works hard and tackles.
I have no idea what we will do at Bolton. We have some quality but they need to play well and gel asap. I don't see a top 6 finish but it's hard to be certain.
I like having 2 wide men hugging the touch line. They have clearly worked on that and useductive it today. How well it will work against championship sides I just don't know.

CLIVETHELEEDSFAN
29-07-2017, 10:01 PM
How many quality goals has dallas scored in preseason?

pete1967b
29-07-2017, 10:37 PM
Agree with the previous posts. Wiedwald didn't look convincing buy it's only 1 quiet game I guess.
Alioski didn't get into it really. Pennington did very well. Controlled aggression and quick to block and intercept.
Saiz looked real class when he came on.
Good goal from Roofe who looks stronger and more confident.
Brilliant strike from Dallas.
Agree Okane needs more opportunity as he has more guile than some in the midfield but still works hard and tackles.
I have no idea what we will do at Bolton. We have some quality but they need to play well and gel asap. I don't see a top 6 finish but it's hard to be certain.
I like having 2 wide men hugging the touch line. They have clearly worked on that and useductive it today. How well it will work against championship sides I just don't know.

Hi Lasher mate hope you are well,You sum today very well i missed out a few earlier like roofe looked lively and the right hand side in the 1st half was good.The lad from Liverpool looks like he has talent but lacked pace as i saw it but that isnt everything,Must say though that we still lack pace throughout which i was led to believe that we have now,I didnt see it,Sacko has some but doesnt use it and his final ball was ****e as per last season mostly.Cooper just isnt good enough good in the air and the odd ( Obvious to most opposition ) diagonal ball that found his man.Pennington wont elaborate too much because first time i have seen him but coming from a prem side must be good enough for us.We have the talent and guile in midfield ( middle) if used right but Viera is a must as young as he is.Dallas is what it says on the tin hard working and touch of quality ( What a a goal that was) but not enough pace for a winger.

All in all from today in my view against a mediocre Oxford side who made up**** changes before we made any is that we have a good squad of players that need to gel, I thought i would have an indication of who might play next week but no i havent got a clue,One thing is for sure it cant be the starting 11 from today surely, One more thing Green should be in goal.

joellufcprice
30-07-2017, 02:01 AM
End of day it is a friendly, they mean nothing and often you lose to **** teams and could beat prem teams.

Don't understand the Sacko slating though, looked lively when he came on and created a few good openings, certainly looks to be improving.

I think we will see this line up against Bolton:

Wiedwald

Ayling
Pennington
Cooper
Berardi

O'Kane
Bridcutt

Alioski
Hernandez
Roofe

Wood

Personally think that back four looks weak, Berardi is good but he is not a left back and Cooper isn't a player you want if you're aiming for promotion. Some serious work needs doing in the transfer window on that defense if we are to compete this year.

CLIVETHELEEDSFAN
30-07-2017, 08:59 AM
We know jansson would start without his suspension, possible centre back arriving before Bolton match, bloody annoying that we have to put up with a 4231 again, it's funny that in your 11 joel only 3 new signings make it, (would be 4 with jansson assuming he'd be in your 11), we normally hope that new signings are brought in to improve the first 11 not just the squad, let's see what happens between now and the Bolton match, centre back and left back still required

pete1967b
30-07-2017, 09:32 AM
[QUOTE=joellufcprice;38602420]End of day it is a friendly, they mean nothing and often you lose to **** teams and could beat prem teams.

Don't understand the Sacko slating though, looked lively when he came on and created a few good openings, certainly looks to be improving.

Wiedwald

Ayling
Pennington
Cooper
Berardi

O'Kane
Bridcutt

Alioski
Hernandez
Roofe

Wood

Personally think that back four looks weak, Berardi is good but he is not a left back and Cooper isn't a player you want if you're aiming for promotion. Some serious work needs doing in the transfer window on that defense if we are to compete this year.[/QUOTE

Agree Joel Sakho looked lively but too often he goes sideways or backwards instead of taking his man on and when he did get through his final ball was poor,He was the same last year so in my opinion yes he is improving but wont start many although will be great impact player.

Your guess at the team wont be far off, I have only seen Siaz once that was yesterday so based on that he would play before Hernandez for me i thought he was very good when he came on dont think they could play together,Also would like Viera in there.

CLIVETHELEEDSFAN
30-07-2017, 10:02 AM
Pete what's your thoughts on BPF Coyle Denton Phillips and Vieira? Do you think that A. They have the ability to play every week and B. They can fight their way past the competition they're up against? Those 5 currently have green Wiedwald ayling berardi Okane Anita Bridcutt Klich saiz and hernandez all ahead of them in terms of experience, plus a new leftback is expected, that would make it 11 players they have to beat to just the gk rb lb and 2 cm positions, that's tough going for young players, hense why Coyle is already loaned out, and the other 4 may be under consideration, if only we knew TCs thoughts on them

CLIVETHELEEDSFAN
30-07-2017, 10:04 AM
And my opinion on those 5 would be loan out BPF Coyle and Denton, keep Phillips and Vieira

joellufcprice
30-07-2017, 01:43 PM
We know jansson would start without his suspension, possible centre back arriving before Bolton match, bloody annoying that we have to put up with a 4231 again, it's funny that in your 11 joel only 3 new signings make it, (would be 4 with jansson assuming he'd be in your 11), we normally hope that new signings are brought in to improve the first 11 not just the squad, let's see what happens between now and the Bolton match, centre back and left back still required

They're brought in to improve the squad as a whole, every one of them will get a run at some point, I'd probably put Klich in but I've not seen him play enough and he has only just come back from a minor injury so no point in rushing him into anything.

In the long run I think our starting 11 will end up being:

Wiedwald

Ayling
New CB
Jansson
New LB

Klich
Vieiria

Alioski
Saiz
Roofe

Wood

But I've not seen enough of any of them, only one I feel confident in right now is Alioski and I've liked the look of Ekuban whenever I've seen him, think he is exactly what we needed to compliment Wood.

joellufcprice
30-07-2017, 01:45 PM
Pete what's your thoughts on BPF Coyle Denton Phillips and Vieira? Do you think that A. They have the ability to play every week and B. They can fight their way past the competition they're up against? Those 5 currently have green Wiedwald ayling berardi Okane Anita Bridcutt Klich saiz and hernandez all ahead of them in terms of experience, plus a new leftback is expected, that would make it 11 players they have to beat to just the gk rb lb and 2 cm positions, that's tough going for young players, hense why Coyle is already loaned out, and the other 4 may be under consideration, if only we knew TCs thoughts on them

The fact Oldham didnt want BPF on loan speaks volumes to me, doesn't fill me with confidence that he is everything people think he is. Don't rate Coyle or Denton that highly either to be honest, think they'll be ok players going forward but not good enough for a promotion chasing side. Both Vieira and Phillips will have important roles this season, they're young, full of energy and very good players, I know Phillips gets some stick but he is quality on his day and will get better and better.

joellufcprice
30-07-2017, 01:46 PM
[QUOTE=joellufcprice;38602420]End of day it is a friendly, they mean nothing and often you lose to **** teams and could beat prem teams.

Wiedwald

Ayling
Pennington
Cooper
Berardi

O'Kane
Bridcutt

Alioski
Hernandez
Roofe

Wood

Personally think that back four looks weak, Berardi is good but he is not a left back and Cooper isn't a player you want if you're aiming for promotion. Some serious work needs doing in the transfer window on that defense if we are to compete this year.[/QUOTE

Agree Joel Sakho looked lively but too often he goes sideways or backwards instead of taking his man on and when he did get through his final ball was poor,He was the same last year so in my opinion yes he is improving but wont start many although will be great impact player.

Your guess at the team wont be far off, I have only seen Siaz once that was yesterday so based on that he would play before Hernandez for me i thought he was very good when he came on dont think they could play together,Also would like Viera in there.

Sacko won't be a starter but he is still young and a great option for us to have on the bench against a tiring defense, last thing you want is someone like Sacko who is lightning quick and not afraid to take you on.

CLIVETHELEEDSFAN
30-07-2017, 01:55 PM
I think with the 2 defensive additions we are expecting we will then have the makings of a good squad, looking forward to the final squad list once our transfer deals are all complete

pete1967b
30-07-2017, 04:02 PM
Have to agree Joel on most things you have said, One thing is for sure none of us have seen enough of our new signings to say who should play and who shouldnt, Lets hope our manager has an incline because even for him getting the mix right will be hard,We have the potential there but yet again unless i am pleasantly surprised it may be another lets wait till next season, Last season was the best chance to reach the Prem whether we were ready or not.The position i worry most about as it stands is centre back.Full backs i am fine with,Beradi may lack quality but fans like him as he is committed and would tackle a brick wall yesterday proved that in a friendly.Ayling and Anita will vi for the right back spot,Midfield is inundated with players and talent suppose getting the mix right will be the hardest thing,Up top Wood the obvious threat providing he gets the service with alternatives that we didnt really have last year,

Clive think that like Joel says there is only Philips and Viera good enough to start when needed Coyle will do a job but it seems he is 3rd in the pecking order now,

Goalkeeper should be Green for me but that is only my opinion on seeing weiderwald for the first time yesterday, He just didnt seem comfortable maybe time will tell.

All in all i am looking forward with optimism as we all should be over 18,000 season tickets sold,We will sell out everywhere we go,We will be on TV loads so people who cant go can see and we will never stop loving this club and supporting this club,Always hard being a Leeds fan but who would have it any other way.

Tichi1
31-07-2017, 08:59 AM
Agree with Joel's summing up.
Dissagree about it being hard to be a Leeds fan Pete - I just love it ...always have always will.O:)O:)

Silentman
31-07-2017, 06:16 PM
The question I keep coming back to is "have we improved the squad from last season?" and I keep coming up with the answer "no"; it just feels like we've replaced like for like but given ridiculous contracts for untried players.

WTF11
31-07-2017, 06:24 PM
The question I keep coming back to is "have we improved the squad from last season?" and I keep coming up with the answer "no"; it just feels like we've replaced like for like but given ridiculous contracts for untried players.

Watch it, you'll be accused of being negative.

CLIVETHELEEDSFAN
31-07-2017, 06:59 PM
The background of most of our signings is decent enough, players coming from top divisions in decent leagues, it's better than some seasons where we've relied on aged hasbeens or poor quality, these guys are mostly of good ages, some internationally capped players in there too, at the level we are currently at, I don't think it's been too bad a transfer window this time, as long as we get another centre back and another leftback, I'll be happy with our business

Billyni
31-07-2017, 07:53 PM

And we can can make this judgement from 3/4 pre season friendlies with 7/8 new players and a new coach involved.

CLIVETHELEEDSFAN
31-07-2017, 08:40 PM
The proof will be from the first 11 games (ie the first quarter of the season)

Silentman
01-08-2017, 06:31 PM
And we can can make this judgement from 3/4 pre season friendlies with 7/8 new players and a new coach involved.

And the levels they have been playing at and in which leagues they have been playing before they joined us.

Billyni
01-08-2017, 09:07 PM
Think we've had a few players who have come from lower leagues or from teams where they couldn't get a game, and the did all right for us.
But sure hey, lets not be optimistic, and instead, consider all our signings as shyte.

WTF11
01-08-2017, 09:32 PM
Think we've had a few players who have come from lower leagues or from teams where they couldn't get a game, and the did all right for us.
But sure hey, lets not be optimistic, and instead, consider all our signings as shyte.

It's not one end of the spectrum nor the other, but the sheer number of newcomers, in particular in that ***** midfield area, makes construction of a settled team nigh on impossible.

That's the rub, doesn't matter what you think of the individuals brought in or retained, it remains the fact that we don't have a team, neither is there any time left to build one.

Competitive from day one? We'll see.

Billyni
01-08-2017, 09:48 PM
It's not one end of the spectrum nor the other, but the sheer number of newcomers, in particular in that ***** midfield area, makes construction of a settled team nigh on impossible.

That's the rub, doesn't matter what you think of the individuals brought in or retained, it remains the fact that we don't have a team, neither is there any time left to build one.

Competitive from day one? We'll see.

Im hopefull WTF. Glass half full type.
Some depressing opinions on here. Only for the optimism of Clive, id be away to the nearest tree with a length of rope.
A new season is days away, fu ck ing bring it on.
MOT.

george_kaplan
01-08-2017, 11:07 PM
Aye bring it on.....I'm ready for the ball to be kicked. From season end to the start of this season I feel as a club we are ahead. We've our ground back, we are fairly stable as a business, got rid of most of the maggots who wanted to suck the life right out of our club. We are going to have a whole new look as to how we play. Get behind the team or I should say our white shirts, if anyone is not excited about a new season upon us then why bother putting yourself through it before it's began? If the ship went down I'd have to pick and chose who I wanted in the life boat with me :)

espaņablanco73
02-08-2017, 08:06 AM
Im with Billy and George on this one, bring it on. We were far too predictable last season, only had one approach week in, week out, no suprise we were found out second half of the season. Im hoping we can be more adaptable, and catch a few teams by suprise this time out.
As for too many signings, not for me, it was that "***** midfield area" tha WTF mentions that stopped us getting promotion last time out, it needed a complete overhaul, so whats not to like? [unless your completely unrealistic and thought Messi might sign!]

george_kaplan
02-08-2017, 09:42 AM
Bushmills said we didn't buy enough last season, Jameson said we've bought too many this season.......R*d breast says don't sweat the small stuff........all LEEDS aren't we.

WTF11
02-08-2017, 10:22 AM
Im with Billy and George on this one, bring it on. We were far too predictable last season, only had one approach week in, week out, no suprise we were found out second half of the season. Im hoping we can be more adaptable, and catch a few teams by suprise this time out.
As for too many signings, not for me, it was that "***** midfield area" tha WTF mentions that stopped us getting promotion last time out, it needed a complete overhaul, so whats not to like? [unless your completely unrealistic and thought Messi might sign!]

Spinning as usual eh BB?

No one, me included, has said we have had "too many signings". What more or less everyone has said is that we haven't seen enough of the newcomers to form a validated opinion of whether they are good, bad or middling.

It's all very well wanting to keep opponents guessing as to what they might be facing, as long as you can do so whilst making sure your team mates aren't kept guessing too! We'll see how that works out Sunday!

whitestomper45
02-08-2017, 11:59 AM
Spinning as usual eh BB?

No one, me included, has said we have had "too many signings". What more or less everyone has said is that we haven't seen enough of the newcomers to form a validated opinion of whether they are good, bad or middling.

It's all very well wanting to keep opponents guessing as to what they might be facing, as long as you can do so whilst making sure your team mates aren't kept guessing too! We'll see how that works out Sunday! ffs not enough signings, too many signings, too many Spanish....give the new owner some credit, I can't remember a time weve been linked (and actually signed) with so many young players, I don't care if they have to go play in Timbuktu for a while, its bound to be better than the pointless non physical U23 league
You can be sure other clubs are looking with interest at Leeds United's revolution, heres hoping we're on the way back, but its far better than the dirge of all the recent seasons of journeymen free signings and selling our best players, but hey sure its all gonna go pants eh

WTF11
02-08-2017, 12:20 PM
ffs not enough signings, too many signings, too many Spanish....give the new owner some credit, I can't remember a time weve been linked (and actually signed) with so many young players, I don't care if they have to go play in Timbuktu for a while, its bound to be better than the pointless non physical U23 league
You can be sure other clubs are looking with interest at Leeds United's revolution, heres hoping we're on the way back, but its far better than the dirge of all the recent seasons of journeymen free signings and selling our best players, but hey sure its all gonna go pants eh

Another "spinner".

Wasn't talking about the U23s, if you'd care to read my post, was talking about 1st team and the limited opportunities that the large number of signings (in anyone's eyes) present to get a nything like a settled st 11 by Sunday.

But hey, why let not reading (or responding), to the post get in the way of a dig, hmm?

Any you suggest I'm predictable, 😴😴😴😴

spaldy
02-08-2017, 12:23 PM
we are better off than we've been in a decade+.

no way to "spin it" any other way. we also have an unbelievable commitment to development of youth players which is what the great clubs do.

does anyone think that we wouldn't have sold Wood this transfer window if not for AR? We kept Viera.

we own ER.

If LUTV ever gets working we may truly try to present a global media front!

Looking forward to kickoff.

whitestomper45
02-08-2017, 01:06 PM
Another "spinner".

Wasn't talking about the U23s, if you'd care to read my post, was talking about 1st team and the limited opportunities that the large number of signings (in anyone's eyes) present to get a nything like a settled st 11 by Sunday.

But hey, why let not reading (or responding), to the post get in the way of a dig, hmm?

Any you suggest I'm predictable, �������� Usual tosh excuses, we all read your posts wrong....maybe when you actually stop the whinging looking at worst case scenarios.....you're lack of praise for anything positive the club does and your fkn depressing posts hmmmm

WTF11
02-08-2017, 01:16 PM
Usual tosh excuses, we all read your posts wrong....maybe when you actually stop the whinging looking at worst case scenarios.....you're lack of praise for anything positive the club does and your fkn depressing posts hmmmm

Just WTF are you on about? The thread title "What have we learned today" was what I responded to, suggesting we didn't really learn much (check other "balanced" responses and you might see a pattern), and there was limited time left for a settled 1st 11 to emerge.

I took the trouble to respond to BBs comment about being "found out", in the same vein.

Not moaning, whinging, or depressing, just stating fact ( of course if you think otherwise be my guest to give us the benefit of your wisdom?).

Or on the few occasions I'll be posting, why not f00king ignore as pass on by, hmmmmm?

espaņablanco73
03-08-2017, 06:11 AM
you talk about cherrypicking. You chose to respond to my post by bellyaching again, when quite obviously the thrust of my thread was to point out that the large number of new signings will make us more versatile, surely a good thing, no?

CLIVETHELEEDSFAN
03-08-2017, 11:00 AM
If we can sign a new centreback and new leftback by the time pontus gets back from suspension then we will be fine, any back line we put out against Bolton should just about be enough to keep them out, and port Vale we could play BPF Coyle Denton Pennington and shaughnessy and we would win, so I'm going into this season with some optimism and confidence, we've kept most of our best players, only Bartley gone and he wasn't ours to keep, bar centreback we've enough options in every part of the pitch vs Bolton, berardi coped at leftback, Anita could cope at right back if ayling plays centreback, Pennington looks promising and should start vs Bolton regardless, my only defence concern is Cooper, who could play and by the looks of it could be captain for the day, perish the thought but it is a possibility. But everywhere else on the pitch we have good options, I'd like to see anyone challenge that opinion, coz I'd come right back at ya with the options.

BRING IT ON!!!
MOT!!!