PDA

View Full Version : Players v Mainz

Jammy89
29-07-2017, 06:20 PM
I had a dodgy stream and only saw some of the match but what i did see:

Impressed me
De Jong, a decent shot and some lovely crafted passes through. Although i temper that with i'd like to see some more shots if he's going to be our starting No. 10.

Aarons, if he stays fit his pace will scare the ****e out of some defenders - i know a massive if but still.

Lejeune, his confidence with the ball is great to see and his ability to pass both long and short will be an asset.

Didn't impress me
Dummett - I'm a fan of his despite what a lot of fans think XD but he was dog **** today. At fault by at least 70% for their first goal.

Mitro - spent lots of time arguing with officials and missed chances he should of taken.

Others
Clark - solid as usual.
Manquillo - Actually looked decent, couple of good crosses - if this player keeps turning up then we'll have got a good deal at £4.5 million
Murphy - Just looked decent again. Really pleased with signing him.

Zippity
29-07-2017, 06:33 PM
Canny summing up, jammy.

I'm very worried about Dummett versus premier League wingers, tbh. I think he'll get torn apart. Mitro misses a lot of chances for a striker and they're going to be harder to come by this season.

Looking forward to seeing de Jong have a good run in the team- a quality player hugely hampered by injuries thus far-fingers crossed he and Aarons manage to avoid big injuries this year. Once Aarons gets a run I think he'll be very good for us.

Jammy89
29-07-2017, 06:38 PM
Him and Aarons avoid injuries think they'll be playing quite a few games but it's a worryingly massive if.

Dummett, despite me rating him more than others, i don't think he'll manage against prem wingers after seeing this game. However i wouldn't get rid because i still think he offers a reasonable back up and will be useful in cup games and the like.

We need a squad for a reason etc.

Zippity
29-07-2017, 06:45 PM
True enough, we do. Would rather we bought another LB if I'm honest, though. Add a striker and I'd be happy with our business.

ghostrider
30-07-2017, 07:23 AM
Let's not forget that this is pre-season and players will be getting back up to speed/fitness/mentality.

We've seen all this before with defeats in pre-season where we've looked less than impressive and at times, dire, only to progress through a decent season.

You have to remember that it will also be a damage limitation course in between the usual readiness for the prem.
Basically we want to be starting the season with as few injuries as possible and will definitely not be firing on full cylinders into tackles and what not.

Sounds like I'm making an excuse for the squad...and I am, I suppose, but the reality is, we cannot judge a season start by believing pre-season games are the making or breaking of any player.

Just look on it as we always have done. Pre-season shape up with enough in the tank to be unleashed when and where it matters.

Jammy89
30-07-2017, 08:24 AM
Sounds like I'm making an excuse for the squad...and I am, I suppose, but the reality is, we cannot judge a season start by believing pre-season games are the making or breaking of any player.

Just look on it as we always have done. Pre-season shape up with enough in the tank to be unleashed when and where it matters.

Such as when we got humped 6-0 by Leyton Orient and then finished 5th (not saying i think this will happen by the way.)

Zippity
30-07-2017, 08:38 AM
Let's not forget that this is pre-season and players will be getting back up to speed/fitness/mentality.

We've seen all this before with defeats in pre-season where we've looked less than impressive and at times, dire, only to progress through a decent season.

You have to remember that it will also be a damage limitation course in between the usual readiness for the prem.
Basically we want to be starting the season with as few injuries as possible and will definitely not be firing on full cylinders into tackles and what not.

Yup. Good points.

ghostrider
30-07-2017, 08:38 AM
Such as when we got humped 6-0 by Leyton Orient and then finished 5th (not saying i think this will happen by the way.)Yeah, basically.

sherwoodmag
30-07-2017, 10:08 AM
Such as when we got humped 6-0 by Leyton Orient and then finished 5th (not saying i think this will happen by the way.) Was that not when we were relegated and after that pre season game before the start of the Championship season Nolan and some others got the team together and said right who is up for the fight,some of the deadwood left and those that stayed got us promoted under Chris Hughton.

ghostrider
30-07-2017, 10:10 AM
Was that not when we were relegated and after that pre season game before the start of the Championship season Nolan and some others got the team together and said right who is up for the fight,some of the deadwood left and those that stayed got us promoted under Chris Hughton. No, it was the season we finished 5th, like Jammy said.

finnaz
30-07-2017, 10:13 AM
No, it was the season we finished 5th, like Jammy said.

No Sherwood is right , it was definitely the championship winning year as Nolan had been sold when we finished 5th.

ex_pat_magpie
30-07-2017, 10:58 AM
SherwoodMick has it right.

It was July 2009 following the first of Ashley's relegations, just before we started our Championship season 2009/10

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2009/jul/25/newcastle-united-leyton-orient

ghostrider
30-07-2017, 11:04 AM
No Sherwood is right , it was definitely the championship winning year as Nolan had been sold when we finished 5th.

Aye you're right saying that Sherwood's right. I don't know why I thought it was the season we finished 5th. I was sure Jammy was spot on.
Sorry Sherwood, my mistake.

It's got my head baffled this mind.
It's like I've just walked into an alternative Earth. :D

ghostrider
30-07-2017, 11:05 AM
SherwoodMick has it right.

It was July 2009 following the first of Ashley's relegations, just before we started our Championship season 2009/10

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2009/jul/25/newcastle-united-leyton-orient Absolutely.