The Bedlington Terrier
30-07-2017, 01:19 PM
Posted this previously has a new thread but something went wrong...!:O

For the record I think we will avoid the dreaded second season syndrome. :D

army88
30-07-2017, 01:45 PM
Posted this previously has a new thread but something went wrong...!:O

For the record I think we will avoid the dreaded second season syndrome. :D

I'm a bit in sure at the minute Bt , I posted previously that all the teams in the league are recruiting decent players with a the exception of Stoke possibly at the minute--- we are treading water standing still and I'm not convinced we will pull off the escape again unless we are positive in our signings the next 2/3 weeks.

We need to sign better quality players and soon --- we have made signings and they are very indifferent , Taylor being the best I believe with future improvement and perhaps profit if he fulfills his potential. (?the others as I say help us tread water)

So I'm going to withhold judgment on your question at least until September 1st

We have a very small squad , that hasn't progressed IMO - in fact in truth has gone backwards---Keane- Barton--Boyd Marney -- potentially Gray all out .
This is fine if you can replace with improvements--- I think Cork and Taylore maybe are improvements the others I'm unsure.

Primitive
30-07-2017, 01:52 PM
You posted it in the Gray thread.

Strangely, I'm not quite as confident as I was last season, although I think we have recruited very well so far. If Gray is still here on September 1st I will feel a lot happier (contrary to popular opinion round here).

sinkov
30-07-2017, 02:28 PM
It's an horrendously competitive league, the idea that we can become established in it while running probably the smallest wage budget every season is imo laughable, the best we can hope for is survival from season to season. You just never know, so much can go wrong, and at this stage we don't have much idea what the team will be, Gray and Defour might be here, they might not, we might sign a class striker, we might not, we might sign a class centre-half, we might not, it's all up in the air.
What is known is that we'll be competive, well organised and hard to beat, that's a given with Dyche as manager, whether it'll be enough who knows, so much depends on the deals we do in the next month.
Having said all that I wouldn't put money on us to go down, we only need three teams to have a worse season than us, and that's very possible, likely even.

WillPark
30-07-2017, 02:39 PM
Will we be as good at home as we were last season? Will we win more games away? Will we create more chances? Will Heaton be able to keep the same level? Will we score more goals? I hope... I dream... but I also feel fear... :)
We were able to hold onto the ball more as last season progressed, and with a couple midfielders supporting the one or two on top we might have a chance.

In Dyche We Trust
30-07-2017, 02:52 PM
hard to say at this stage as transfer window is still open.Ask us again after the January sales gave finished.

exilecanada
30-07-2017, 03:23 PM
Personally I’m worried about our chances of staying up. We haven’t addressed replacing Keane, we haven’t signed a proven goal scorer. I would have to think Huddersfield and Brighton will struggle to stay up, that potentially leaves one relegation spot open, any of the bottom 2/3 of the PL could fill the third spot. Obviously our key is to gain points from clubs in the lower half and avoid heavy defeats at the hands of the elite clubs in order to preserve our exceptional goal difference, which………..let’s be honest was a key to staying up last season.

One or two members have mentioned we’d be better off in the Champoinship. That has its merits, however what’s the point if we’re not vying for promotion?

Anyway, it’s going to be an interesting season for sure…….seat belts fastened?

oldcolner
30-07-2017, 04:23 PM
Personally I’m worried about our chances of staying up. We haven’t addressed replacing Keane, we haven’t signed a proven goal scorer. I would have to think Huddersfield and Brighton will struggle to stay up, that potentially leaves one relegation spot open, any of the bottom 2/3 of the PL could fill the third spot. ?

Watford with a new manager and fall outs following Rangers defeat may be in trouble.

thedonz
30-07-2017, 04:57 PM
I'm with exile, until we have addressed replacing Keane, I can't say I think we will stay up this time.

What I will say is I'm happy with the new signings so far

alfinyalcabo
30-07-2017, 05:56 PM
No..

The Bedlington Terrier
30-07-2017, 06:36 PM
Banking £25 million for Keane is all well and good. Banking another £20 million for Gray is good business but we MUST replace them with at least as good or not better and that's a blinking tough call. :?

CaspertheClaret
30-07-2017, 06:54 PM
I am expecting us to stay up but I think it will be a battle. Think there will be a couple of rabbits pulled out of the topper in tems of signings.

I think the squad is pretty strong and with a couple of tweeks could be really strong.

You can see what Sean is doing, which is trying to mould a no nonsense mid table team ala Stoke/West Brom. It makes sense and shows progression. Its not ***y but it's functional.

ClaretinBudapest
30-07-2017, 07:01 PM
Touch and go.I personally think unless we sign a couple of pacy wingers and a replacement for Keane we are relegation material.However,Primitive should have the final say......

The Bedlington Terrier
30-07-2017, 07:18 PM
No..

You are probably the most negative person I know regarding the Clarets and I have no idea why? :confused:

We are prudent, we are in the Premier League, we have invested wisely, we have layer upon layer of players and squads at all ages.

We have almost acquired two quality players to cover each positions for the first eleven which is every teams dream.

I just don't get the constant negativity. :(

sinkov
30-07-2017, 07:43 PM
Negativity is good BT, it was negativity that ended the Teasdale era, brought in Barry Kilby and ended up with us back in the PL. It was negativity that did for Brian Laws, introduced us to Sean Dyche and two more promotions. Don't knock it.

Altobelli
30-07-2017, 07:48 PM
Glad he's pointing the finger at you alf and not me.

Give him some alfin

Over to you you negative p!ss take.

http://img1.imagehousing.com/0/ljhvlhjhgjhgjhg-740138.gif (http://www.imagehousing.com/image/ljhvlhjhgjhgjhg/1323324)

bfcjon
30-07-2017, 09:43 PM
Will we stay up!!....At the end of the season,..with all the promise from Garlick,..I would have said Yes...
But,..with sales of Keane,...and possibly Gray,..And the recruitment team on Holiday,...I now would have to say no.
We need outside investment just to tread water!!!,...And the longer Garlick is here, I just cannot see us going any further.,..He is out of his comfort zone.,...
I know this is open to discussion ,..But We have to move on.!!., If there has been talk of Investment,,, And I Really cannot believe that outside parties are not interested in Burnley FC..!!!.One of only a few clubs making a profit. and in the Premier League ..!!
With all this dosh now in the Dry powder store,.. and lack of investment on the playing side,..I just do not feel comfortable with our Board, or Recruitment ...
Yes the Training ground etc,...But time to move on!!

Norder
30-07-2017, 11:22 PM

....going by last season - I think we have as much chance at dropping as at least "10" other PL teams - and what would narrow the odds this season - perhaps the level of players we bring in - if we don't match the quality (where it matters) of the competition - enough to compete with them - and keep pace.
...then there's also the possibility, that the all powerful who rule over our team - may well prefer the drop in hope of bounce back - rather than a 3rd Prem season....where spending and commitment could become serious.

so"will we stay up"....I dont yet know, and wont until the scores and team results are seen...will also show how skilful the decisions that shaped them have been.

;D

The Bedlington Terrier
31-07-2017, 05:56 AM
Will we stay up!!....At the end of the season,..with all the promise from Garlick,..I would have said Yes...
But,..with sales of Keane,...and possibly Gray,..And the recruitment team on Holiday,...I now would have to say no.
We need outside investment just to tread water!!!,...And the longer Garlick is here, I just cannot see us going any further.,..He is out of his comfort zone.,...
I know this is open to discussion ,..But We have to move on.!!., If there has been talk of Investment,,, And I Really cannot believe that outside parties are not interested in Burnley FC..!!!.One of only a few clubs making a profit. and in the Premier League ..!!
With all this dosh now in the Dry powder store,.. and lack of investment on the playing side,..I just do not feel comfortable with our Board, or Recruitment ...
Yes the Training ground etc,...But time to move on!!

We are running a completely different paradigm to any other club on the EPL. I simply thank the Lord our club is run and owned by true Burnley supporters who will not jeopardise the long term future of Burnley Football Club.

We are building for the future with a truly wonderful youth development and scouting system. We are not treading water, we are two weeks away from kicking off against the Champions of England at Stamford Bridge.

Our Recruitment Team is not on holiday. Messrs Hodge, Mowbray and Butterworth are working full tilt to secure the right players at the right price. Any old set of mugs can pay way over the top for bang average players and then capitulate at the negotiating table and give out ridiculous contracts.

I'm proud of how we go about our business, I'm proud that we can now compete in the EPL and I'm looking forward to Mike Garlick keeping to his promise that the squad will be in a better place come September 1st than it was at the end of June!

The Bedlington Terrier
31-07-2017, 06:00 AM
Negativity is good BT, it was negativity that ended the Teasdale era, brought in Barry Kilby and ended up with us back in the PL. It was negativity that did for Brian Laws, introduced us to Sean Dyche and two more promotions. Don't knock it.

It wasn't negativity that did for Brian Laws, it was incompetence. Dear old Frank managed to put his finger in the dam when we were in danger of drowning. Frank Teasdale's legacy was to steady the ship in order that eventually we could once again sail off into the sunset and join the EPL. Don't knock him?

army88
31-07-2017, 06:35 AM
We are running a completely different paradigm to any other club on the EPL. I simply thank the Lord our club is run and owned by true Burnley supporters who will not jeopardise the long term future of Burnley Football Club.

We are building for the future with a truly wonderful youth development and scouting system. We are not treading water, we are two weeks away from kicking off against the Champions of England at Stamford Bridge.

Our Recruitment Team is not on holiday. Messrs Hodge, Mowbray and Butterworth are working full tilt to secure the right players at the right price. Any old set of mugs can pay way over the top for bang average players and then capitulate at the negotiating table and give out ridiculous contracts.

I'm proud of how we go about our business, I'm proud that we can now compete in the EPL and I'm looking forward to Mike Garlick keeping to his promise that the squad will be in a better place come September 1st than it was at the end of June!

That's really admirable Bt ( I mean that as well not sarcasm), sometimes though thinking with your head and not your heart is the right way.

I get your view but I also get a lot of the others posting with concerns as it appears that financially we are absolutely sound with money left over from previous - Keanes money etc etc and yet we don't seem to want to push the boat out a bit for good quality signings. ( I don't mean that derisory to the lads we've signed).

None of us know really what will happen until the season is well under way, weather signings were good or bad and investment has been used wisely.

We all want the same thing really to be reasonably competitive and survive in this league ( realistically the top half and bottom half are two leagues in this division anyway).

My real concern is that if they don't back Dyche now --- the vultures will be sniffing at every opportunity to take him away and eventually he'll go --- then the test will be on to if we can survive and not capitulate.

There is a balance to this somewhere in the middle,the board saying all the right level headed things and actually backing the manager and making us more competitive.( it sounds like we've spent nothing I know ,from my statement and I appreciate we have , the worry is its just not enough on better quality players).

I think most on here won't want to jeopardise the future of the club by throwing the kitchen sink at it they would just like to see us use some of our money to cement our place in this league.

The Bedlington Terrier
31-07-2017, 06:51 AM
Sean Dyche has strongly indicated that he would like to replace Boyd like for like (Sam Clucas?) and would also like a fourth centre half.

We are currently having the debate on here whether Tom Anderson or Alex Whitmore can step up and save us money?

I am sure SD and Ian Woan are giving the fourth centre half berth some serious thought!

Incidentally, at no time during his managerial tenure at Turf Moor has Sean Dyche ever come out and said the Burnley Board of Directors don't back him.

He does however constantly talk about "the reality of the situation", meaning we are not able to splash £30-60 million on the likes of Giroud or Nasri! :(

oldcolner
31-07-2017, 07:25 AM
It wasn't negativity that did for Brian Laws, it was incompetence. Dear old Frank managed to put his finger in the dam when we were in danger of drowning. Frank Teasdale's legacy was to steady the ship in order that eventually we could once again sail off into the sunset and join the EPL. Don't knock him?

It was Coyle and some players and fans who did for Brian Laws stripping the club of the entire management team after Xmas whilst the Board were scattered round the world leaving the club devoid of anything. I'm not saying he would have set the world on fire but just that he didn't have much of a chance, with Coyle also taking Wilshere and Holden to Bolton. He had three weeks left of the transfer window to find new players with little money and no scouting or negotiating infrastructure. He did bring Jack Cork and Danny Fox here in that time.
Laws came partly out of duty to a club he played for when few others wanted to come. Leading players didn't help him, yet after all that had we beaten Wigan at home we would have stayed up.
I do wonder what would we have done had Villas Boas got the job though. His career would have been finished before he started.

sinkov
31-07-2017, 07:31 AM

You can't deny the reality BT, with dear old Frank at the helm, a club that is now in the PL, was 90 minutes away from exiting the Football League and spent 7 years in D4. No one denies he did his best, but he himself admitted it needed more than he could offer to move us forward, and it was the mounting unrest/ negativity amongst supporters that eventually brought about the changes at the top that actually did get us moving forward again.

The board had no intention of sacking Laws, until the fans really got aboard him after, I think it was the game against Derby. That spontaneous display of negativity from the fans changed their minds, Sean came in and we were on our way.

sinkov
31-07-2017, 07:43 AM
It was the defeat at home to S****horpe, not Derby, that got Brian sacked, and I should add that it only lead indirectly to Sean arriving, there was the interlude where we were treading water with Eddie before Sean rocked up.

WillPark
31-07-2017, 07:43 AM
Incidentally, at no time during his managerial tenure at Turf Moor has Sean Dyche ever come out and said the Burnley Board of Directors don't back him. :(

And I don't think he ever will.... he doesn't seem that kind of guy. But I'm sure he would love to have a team he could plan ahead with, and not just avoid relegation each year. But what do I know, maybe he's really confident about the team and the future. But for me, I fear that if we don't get younger and better players it will be his last season with us, and he might leave us halfway through it.

oldcolner
31-07-2017, 07:46 AM
You can't deny the reality BT, with dear old Frank at the helm, a club that is now in the PL, was 90 minutes away from exiting the Football League and spent 7 years in D4. No one denies he did his best, but he himself admitted it needed more than he could offer to move us forward, and it was the mounting unrest/ negativity amongst supporters that eventually brought about the changes at the top that actually did get us moving forward again.

The board had no intention of sacking Laws, until the fans really got aboard him after, I think it was the game against Derby. That spontaneous display of negativity from the fans changed their minds, Sean came in and we were on our way.

Wasn't it the home 0-2 defeat to S****horpe that got him sacked, the week after we had beaten Barnsley away for the first time in 79 years yet some fans booed him off.
The Board feared fans would move against them so sacked him. Just as well Lincoln didn't have that impact isn't it?

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/9921333.Brian_Laws__My_pain_over_Turf_Moor_exit/

The Bedlington Terrier
31-07-2017, 07:52 AM
Glad he's pointing the finger at you alf and not me.

Give him some alfin

Over to you you negative p!ss take.

http://img1.imagehousing.com/0/ljhvlhjhgjhgjhg-740138.gif (http://www.imagehousing.com/image/ljhvlhjhgjhgjhg/1323324)

Just trying to shake him out of his lethargic, mobile home comatose induced state but it failed to work! :(

sinkov
31-07-2017, 08:11 AM
Wasn't it the home 0-2 defeat to S****horpe that got him sacked, the week after we had beaten Barnsley away for the first time in 79 years yet some fans booed him off.
The Board feared fans would move against them so sacked him. Just as well Lincoln didn't have that impact isn't it?

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/9921333.Brian_Laws__My_pain_over_Turf_Moor_exit/

Yes you're right OC, I'll try Scunny, it might accept that. On your original post, while accepting that many fans were against his appointment from the outset, I think most accepted that he'd been dropped in the ****e by Coyle and it was going to be a difficult, although not impossible job, to keep us up. There was no great pressure from fans to sack him in summer, he brought in some decent players, and we were favourites to go back up. There was no blaming Coyle from then on, he had his own players in, his own team and it was a strong one. It started well, 10 pnts from the first 5 games, but it went gradually downhill, we lost 0-4 at home, we blew a 2 goal lead at Norwich as Lambert tactically showed him up in the second half (I was there), we lost at home to Leeds and after the Scunny defeat we'd taken just 12 pnts from 10 games, were out of the top six, sliding down the league, and the fans had had enough. By then Coyle was long gone, he had only himself to blame, sadly he wasn't quite up to it.

The Bedlington Terrier
31-07-2017, 08:23 AM
Do you mean Laws was incompetent sinkov? After he spunked £1.5 million for Leon Cort I lost all faith in him.

sinkov
31-07-2017, 08:24 AM
What I really don't understand this summer is the apparent dismay at our transfer activity, or perceived lack of it. It's something I moan about every summer as we leave it to the last minute to get players in, last year we'd only brought a back up keeper and Iceland in at this stage, this summer we've already brought four in and there's a month to go yet. I'm not even looking for the panic button, never mind pressing it, there are more players coming in, more money will be spent, we're not even close to our annual trolley dash, this summer has been a hive of activity at Turf Moor compared to previous seasons, why all this worrying, there's lots of time to bring more in, we'll be fine.

The Bedlington Terrier
31-07-2017, 08:31 AM
It's still in mothballs sinkov! :D

sinkov
31-07-2017, 08:32 AM
Do you mean Laws was incompetent sinkov? After he spunked £1.5 million for Leon Cort I lost all faith in him.

He was told to strengthen the defence, he had just days of the January window left and £2m to spend. I'm no fan of Laws, I was dismayed when we appointed him, but I don't blame him for Cort, with the amount of time and money he had Cort was probably the best he could do. I've asked this question before, Cort was a flop, but who was the defender available at the back end of the window he should have signed instead. I'm still waiting for an answer.

oldcolner
31-07-2017, 08:54 AM
Yes you're right OC, I'll try Scunny, it might accept that. On your original post, while accepting that many fans were against his appointment from the outset, I think most accepted that he'd been dropped in the ****e by Coyle and it was going to be a difficult, although not impossible job, to keep us up. There was no great pressure from fans to sack him in summer, he brought in some decent players, and we were favourites to go back up. There was no blaming Coyle from then on, he had his own players in, his own team and it was a strong one. It started well, 10 pnts from the first 5 games, but it went gradually downhill, we lost 0-4 at home, we blew a 2 goal lead at Norwich as Lambert tactically showed him up in the second half (I was there), we lost at home to Leeds and after the Scunny defeat we'd taken just 12 pnts from 10 games, were out of the top six, sliding down the league, and the fans had had enough. By then Coyle was long gone, he had only himself to blame, sadly he wasn't quite up to it.

My point was had Coyle left Holden and Wilshere and the senior players backed him,things would have been different we would have stayed up and Bolton or Wigan wouldn't.
However I take your point about the following season.

Altobelli
31-07-2017, 10:40 AM
Some of your quotes I'd like to address BT.

(1) It was not the incompetence of Brian Laws, it was the Board who instated him and took way to long to get shut of a man who was way short of being average.

(2) "We are currently having the debate on here whether Tom Anderson or Alex Whitmore can step up and save us money"? Save us Money ? asking players who are not used to the cut and thrust of PL to step up and do a job which requires more skilled players when we have a dry powder room busting at the seems is pathetic.

(3) "Incidentally, at no time during his managerial tenure at Turf Moor has Sean Dyche ever come out and said the Burnley Board of Directors don't back him". Very true as BFC pay his Salary.. .. . But he has cryptically thrown derisory comments at the board at least twice which we all discussed at the time.

(4) "we are two weeks away from kicking off against the Champions of England at Stamford Bridge". Yes and we are a long way off from being ready, the word incompetent from # (1) comes to mind.

Some good posts on this thread, a couple which strike the mark for me are bfcjon's # 17 and army88's #21.

Garlick IMO is out of his depth, along with all the recruitment team who you stress BT are not on Holiday, they may as well be as everyone and his dog knew Michael Keane was leaving long before he did, yet here we still are without any replacement being half as good.

sinkov
31-07-2017, 02:09 PM
A few people are criticising because we haven't signed a replacement for Keane, we haven't signed one because his replacement is already here and wearing the No 5 shirt. What we haven't done yet is sign a replacement for Tarko on the bench, but I'm sure that will happen. Anyone is free to think Tarko might not be an adequate replacement for Keane, that's fair enough, but it's unfair to claim that Dyche hasn't addressed the situation, he has, I'm sure he made the decision months ago that Tarko would be starting, he just needs to sign a back-up now.

The Bedlington Terrier
31-07-2017, 03:02 PM
I'm pretty sure that this lot can upset Chelsea:
Heaton,
Lowton or Bardsley, Mee, Tarkowski or Long, Ward or Taylor,
Gudmundsson or Arfield, Hendrick or Westwood, Defour or Cork, Brady or Barnes,
Gray or Vokes, Walters or Agyei.
Or any combination thereof.
All the lot of them are fully fit and raring to go. Doesn't look unprepared to me! :confused:

The Bedlington Terrier
31-07-2017, 03:04 PM
From Alto: "Garlick IMO is out of his depth"

I'll bet the Wovers, PNE, Blackpool, Leeds and lots of others wish they had a Chairman like Mike Garlick?

I know I'm blinking glad we do!

Altobelli
31-07-2017, 03:19 PM
He reminds me of a second hand car salesman BT, a Millionaire in his own right I'll give him that, but well out of his depth as Chairman.

Altobelli
31-07-2017, 03:20 PM
Just trying to shake him out of his lethargic, mobile home comatose induced state but it failed to work! :(

He's probably broken down, not the Motorhome but Him XD

The Bedlington Terrier
31-07-2017, 03:22 PM
I would love to know your reasoning behind that Alto. Last time I looked, Burnley Football Club are the envy of about 75 other Football League Clubs.

You really need to come and visit?

Altobelli
31-07-2017, 04:04 PM
I would love to know your reasoning behind that Alto. Last time I looked, Burnley Football Club are the envy of about 75 other Football League Clubs.

You really need to come and visit?

You know my reasons BT as we have regurgitated all this before, but in short again here are some

(1)Directors loans with over the top interest's paid.

(1a) The con of selling Turf Moor, plus when it was initially hidden who actually bought it

(2) You say the recruitment team work hard and meet every hour ? I find that hard to believe, Keane was odds on to move well over 6 months ago, we all know transfers are not done merely in the window and that enquiries are done, some would use the excuse that we have the replacement in Tarky which is what I thought at the time so who is Tarkys understudy ? Don't tell me Anderson as that is grasping at straws, so still no replacement after so long knowing ? Its shoddy work at best.

(3) We hear it every year about getting players in early, same lapses with different excuses.

(4) Competing, we have been given money to compete, we did last years winnings mostly on Gawthorpe, Turf Moor lights, officers and meeting Premier League standards, the excuse this time is Transfers are over the top, yes they are, but we have to compete with a reasonable gamble, not a tight fisted hand.

(5) Dyche is not the bee's knees, but he's a godsend to BFC, I seriously thought he may be off in the close season, if Burnley go down again I doubt he'd remain with the restrictions he faces here.

Many more reasons as you know BT.

The bottom line is we are taking a chance at remaining in the PL with having money at our disposal, as I keep saying don't sell the ranch but at least show some intent.

Some on here appear happy regardless of poor performances and the occasional good one's just keeping our noses above water, Just for the status of being in the Premier League, we may be prospering in the training ground and youth team, and the Bank balance, but in the League we are stagnant.

bfcjon
31-07-2017, 06:14 PM
You know my reasons BT as we have regurgitated all this before, but in short again here are some

(1)Directors loans with over the top interest's paid.

(1a) The con of selling Turf Moor, plus when it was initially hidden who actually bought it

(2) You say the recruitment team work hard and meet every hour ? I find that hard to believe, Keane was odds on to move well over 6 months ago, we all know transfers are not done merely in the window and that enquiries are done, some would use the excuse that we have the replacement in Tarky which is what I thought at the time so who is Tarkys understudy ? Don't tell me Anderson as that is grasping at straws, so still no replacement after so long knowing ? Its shoddy work at best.

(3) We hear it every year about getting players in early, same lapses with different excuses.

(4) Competing, we have been given money to compete, we did last years winnings mostly on Gawthorpe, Turf Moor lights, officers and meeting Premier League standards, the excuse this time is Transfers are over the top, yes they are, but we have to compete with a reasonable gamble, not a tight fisted hand.

(5) Dyche is not the bee's knees, but he's a godsend to BFC, I seriously thought he may be off in the close season, if Burnley go down again I doubt he'd remain with the restrictions he faces here.

Many more reasons as you know BT.

The bottom line is we are taking a chance at remaining in the PL with having money at our disposal, as I keep saying don't sell the ranch but at least show some intent.

Some on here appear happy regardless of poor performances and the occasional good one's just keeping our noses above water, Just for the status of being in the Premier League, we may be prospering in the training ground and youth team, and the Bank balance, but in the League we are stagnant.

Yes and Yes,...We are Stagnant !!...But Everyone is against a take over,..Garlick Told us so>>>"*******s I say"...
We Need to Move On...!! :?

Primitive
31-07-2017, 06:33 PM
Stagnant?!

We've just had our best league finish in 40 odd years, how the hell is that stagnant?

sinkov
31-07-2017, 09:09 PM
Alto, I accept most of your points are fair and I'm as a big a critic of the board as most but, I honestly believe you're a bit premature, you just need a bit of patience. We spent close on £40m last season, this summer we've already brought 4 players in and spent close on £20m, and it's not August yet. I'm convinced Dyche gave Garlick a bit of advice last summer, back me or I'm off, and it worked, they have backed him, we've spent not far off £60 million in less than 12 months. And I don't think that's the end of it by any means, there's a lot more needs to be spent yet, and I think we'll spend it. I've moaned for years we should lay out a bit more, but I can't complain now, £60m in less than a year, I'm happy with that. If we haven't invested another £10/£20m by the end of August I'll be moaning with you again, but I seriously think we will.

1959_60
31-07-2017, 09:51 PM
Will we survive?

I reckon,

If we start with our current squad then it will be mighty close.

If we sell Gray then we will be gone. Who could we replace him with?

If Gray stays and we get a good centre half then we will survive easily. Maybe 14th.

If we also get a top notch right winger then we will become a force. Maybe even top half.

The sooner we get our targets in the better. We need to hit the ground running.

I am sure that we have our eyes on Dawson at WBA and a winger - lets hope they arrive soon.

alfinyalcabo
31-07-2017, 09:55 PM
You are probably the most negative person I know regarding the Clarets and I have no idea why? :confused:

We are prudent, we are in the Premier League, we have invested wisely, we have layer upon layer of players and squads at all ages.

We have almost acquired two quality players to cover each positions for the first eleven which is every teams dream.

I just don't get the constant negativity. :(

He he he .. :D

We are doomed.. I tell you we are doomed TEC ..

roll on on the championship..

The Bedlington Terrier
01-08-2017, 01:25 AM
He he he .. :D

We are doomed.. I tell you we are doomed TEC ..

roll on on the championship..

A bite at last! ;D

The Bedlington Terrier
01-08-2017, 01:27 AM
How finishing 16th in our first season back in the EPL can be called "stagnant" is simply beyond my imagination. :confused:

afloatinclaret
01-08-2017, 05:25 PM

Hi Folks, I'm one of those.

Given the size of our club's fan-base which cannot be changed. Affluent & local Directors, rather than a big-money & foreign investors, which I don't want to see changed and a town whose well below average marketting-potential would be extremely, perhaps impossibly difficult to change, then real world economics suggest that Burnley ought to be playing in the bottom half of the Championship at best.

The attainment of Premiership status was punching way above our weight, but to have done so as Champions and then manage to stay up the following year too was an awesome performance and a testament to how well Burnley FC is run; thank you Mike Garlic and everyone else involved.

We were certainly assisted in last year's survival by the presence of two or three clubs whose 'relegation candidate' status was immediately obvious, those aren't perhaps quite so clear-cut this year, but even a harsh realist like myself believes that we can stay up this season too and without pushing the boat out financialy. Yes the club must be quite flush at the moment, but the extent of both initial and ongoing expenditure necessary to make Premiership survival highly-likely (it could never be guaranteed!) is not tens of millions but £100 million+ and I for one would hate to see that sort of financial risk taken. I've watched Burnley struggle to survive once before and once was more than enough and whilst I'd love to see Burnley still in the Premiership for the 2018/19 season, to me it's more important that they're still in business to be either in or challenging to be in the Premiership in 2038/39.