PDA

View Full Version : Brayford or Lenihan

Blade for Life
30-07-2017, 08:53 PM
We are rumoured to have a substantial bid in for Darragh Lenihan, who apparently is a good CB. However Blackburn are holding out for silly money and time is a ticking. Do we already have the answer at the club, is this the rebirth of the Beard ?.He looked good against Eastleigh and played well in the Championship last year. What's everyone's thoughts ?.

CHIPBUTTYBLADE
30-07-2017, 09:47 PM
Seeing as Brayford is our player it'll have to be him,seeing as he played a full season for a Championship club that still is a Championship club,it'll have to be him.

Lenihan can stay in Lg 1,along with Leonard.

RavBlade
30-07-2017, 09:50 PM
We are rumoured to have a substantial bid in for Darragh Lenihan, who apparently is a good CB. However Blackburn are holding out for silly money and time is a ticking. Do we already have the answer at the club, is this the rebirth of the Beard ?.He looked good against Eastleigh and played well in the Championship last year. What's everyone's thoughts ?.

Not at CB no, even though he played very well for Burton, and he is fairly decent there. RWB, yes, good crosser& passer of the ball, not the best defending, but neither is Freeman. Can't see him starting, but might be decent back up.

AceOfBlades
30-07-2017, 09:55 PM
i dont see Brayford being in the team

however, as seen with Coutts at start of last year, Wilder is fair with anyone who is professional, giving them chance to train etc so he could i suppose force the issue and earn an opportunity.

i'm sure they all want him off wage bill tho

RavBlade
30-07-2017, 09:58 PM
i dont see Brayford being in the team

however, as seen with Coutts at start of last year, Wilder is fair with anyone who is professional, giving them chance to train etc so he could i suppose force the issue and earn an opportunity.

i'm sure they all want him off wage bill tho

Why? he's probably on less than a few after promotion.

GrayBlade
30-07-2017, 10:27 PM
Somebody on S2 reckons Brayford is stopping unless we get a bid we can't refuse and is happy to do so. Wilder is also happy with his attitude.

I'm with Rav. If he does stop we need to play to his strengths if he gets in the team and not make the same mistakes Clough did. He's a good attacking wingback on his day even at this level, but he's average defensively and lacks concentration to play at CB (IMO)

rodcurrie
31-07-2017, 07:14 AM
Somebody on S2 reckons Brayford is stopping unless we get a bid we can't refuse and is happy to do so. Wilder is also happy with his attitude.

I'm with Rav. If he does stop we need to play to his strengths if he gets in the team and not make the same mistakes Clough did. He's a good attacking wingback on his day even at this level, but he's average defensively and lacks concentration to play at CB (IMO)I don't think THE BEARD has the legs to be wing back anymore Gray,if he'd been fully fit he would've atracted offers of that i've no doubt.If he get's in our team and it's a big IF it'll have to be as a Centreback in a 3.UTCB

Ayamonteblade
31-07-2017, 08:09 AM
I don't think THE BEARD has the legs to be wing back anymore Gray,if he'd been fully fit he would've atracted offers of that i've no doubt.If he get's in our team and it's a big IF it'll have to be as a Centreback in a 3.UTCB

If all this is true, and he is staying - he will provide us with some quality back-up - which is going to be ***** at this level.

BlockD
31-07-2017, 08:14 AM
[QUOTE=Ayamonteblade;38603600]If all this is true, and he is staying - he will provide us with some quality back-up - which is going to be ***** at this level.[/QUOTE

No brainer Aya,lad is proven at Championship level,last season he was playing well in a team that was struggling week in week out,avoided relegation,we are being quoted a ridiculous price for somebody i bet the majority of us have never heard of,and yet within our ranks we already have somebody as good or maybe even better

Coutts and Freeman last year,Beardy this is my hope

GrayBlade
31-07-2017, 09:52 AM
I don't think THE BEARD has the legs to be wing back anymore Gray,if he'd been fully fit he would've atracted offers of that i've no doubt.If he get's in our team and it's a big IF it'll have to be as a Centreback in a 3.UTCB
I don't rate him at CB Rod, he made too many mistakes for me mate. The best CB's just keep doing the same simple things over again regular as clockwork.

rodcurrie
31-07-2017, 11:58 AM
I don't rate him at CB Rod, he made too many mistakes for me mate. The best CB's just keep doing the same simple things over again regular as clockwork.Didn't THE BEARD play at CB for Burton last season? I just can't see him bein fit enuff for the wing back role.UTCB

Currieisgod
31-07-2017, 01:25 PM
When Brayford first came to us he couldn't do anything wrong, Seemed to be a cut above the rest at League One level and when he went back to Cardiff he looked adequate at least at the next level and most Blades watched his time at Cardiff with interest to say the least.

The return spell back here didn't go to plan for Bray as I think the change in management from Clough to Adkins didn't do him any favours but the change did not help most of the squad at that time either,

It is debatable what Brayfords best position is in the back line, however my opinion is that Brayford is a much better full back than a Centre Back and I feel he would be exposed at Championship Level here,

It also depends on Brayfords attitude and whether he can focus without Cloughie on the job here in hand and work his socks off to get involved again,

GrayBlade
31-07-2017, 01:42 PM
Didn't THE BEARD play at CB for Burton last season? I just can't see him bein fit enuff for the wing back role.UTCB

I don't know for sure Rod, I was somewhat preoccupied with the Champions, ;D but the Burton fans I know seemed to think he was playing through injury most games so you're probably right. As big a fan as I was of the BEARD when he first came, I never rated him defensively but I thought his overall influence on the team more than made up for it. That last season he played for us at CB was like watching a different player. UTB

rodcurrie
31-07-2017, 01:51 PM
I don't know for sure Rod, I was somewhat preoccupied with the Champions, ;D but the Burton fans I know seemed to think he was playing through injury most games so you're probably right. As big a fan as I was of the BEARD when he first came, I never rated him defensively but I thought his overall influence on the team more than made up for it. That last season he played for us at CB was like watching a different player. UTBHe's had bad knee injuries since he joined us permanently,rumours are he dunt train regulalry(a bit like Ledley King & the gr8 Paul Mcgrath)that's why i don't think his legs would be able to get him up and down the pitch,which as ya know is essential in the wing back role.I know we paid alot for him but i was very pleased when he came back,the injuries have certainly done him no favours.UTCB

rotweissler
31-07-2017, 02:49 PM

he played well at RB at Eastleigh, got down the wing well, and thumped a couple of good hard crosses into the box

not keen on his "Man Bun" tho - just not "The Blades Way" ;)

rodcurrie
31-07-2017, 02:59 PM
he played well at RB at Eastleigh, got down the wing well, and thumped a couple of good hard crosses into the box

not keen on his "Man Bun" tho - just not "The Blades Way" ;)Ok mate i wasn't there so i take your word for it,i still don't think he'd be able to do it on a regular basis.Nowt wrong wi Buns by the way,i've alluss been partial to a few sticky buns.UTCB

Ayamonteblade
31-07-2017, 03:02 PM
He's had bad knee injuries since he joined us permanently,rumours are he dunt train regulalry(a bit like Ledley King & the gr8 Paul Mcgrath)that's why i don't think his legs would be able to get him up and down the pitch,which as ya know is essential in the wing back role.I know we paid alot for him but i was very pleased when he came back,the injuries have certainly done him no favours.UTCB

Who knows what he can and can't do at the moment, but I am glad he is still at the club and hope he stays. As somebody rightly said, 12 months ago nobody gave Coutts or Freeman a chance - and now look what's happened.

My favourite match of the last few years was the cup tie v Charlton - Brayford was immense that day.

Have just youtubed it............what a(nother) great goal from Flynnaldo :D

rodcurrie
31-07-2017, 03:15 PM
Who knows what he can and can't do at the moment, but I am glad he is still at the club and hope he stays. As somebody rightly said, 12 months ago nobody gave Coutts or Freeman a chance - and now look what's happened.

My favourite match of the last few years was the cup tie v Charlton - Brayford was immense that day.

Have just youtubed it............what a(nother) great goal from Flynnaldo :DMonte i aint knockin THE BEARD as a player,i've said i was really pleased when he returned to BDBL,if he was gunna stay and play wing back or full back why would we have bothered buyin Baldock tho? One of my favrit bits of THE BEARD action was when Porter was gunna tek the pen v.The scabs in't cup and THE BEARD was dancin abart at the edge of the box tryin to put their keeper off.:D UTCB

Blade for Life
01-08-2017, 05:01 PM
3rd bid of £1.5 million rejected for Lenihan, this one will go to the wire or just won't happen.

blades58
01-08-2017, 05:40 PM
3rd bid of £1.5 million rejected for Lenihan, this one will go to the wire or just won't happen.

At least I see that as being realistic and shows that CW is pushing the boat out in his pursuit

Our snorter neighbours bid appears to suggest the money's run out

blades58
01-08-2017, 06:18 PM
Sky reporting bid to be £1.25m

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11683/10970088/blackburn-reject-sheffield-uniteds-1-5m-bid-for-darragh-lenihan

Blade for Life
01-08-2017, 06:23 PM
Sky reporting bid to be £1.25m

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11683/10970088/blackburn-reject-sheffield-uniteds-1-5m-bid-for-darragh-lenihan

Still maybe another bid yet then. As you say at least Wilder is being backed with reasonable money now. I get the feeling that Chansiri is losing interest in as things Pig.

blades58
01-08-2017, 06:49 PM
Lenihan has supposedly told his club he wants to remain in the championship

http://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/blackburn-rovers/transfer-talk/news/blackburn-reject-third-blades-bid-for-lenihan_303952.html

rodcurrie
01-08-2017, 08:05 PM
Good to see we have the money to make bids above £1 million. All the more confusing why we haven't gone back in for Leonard. Lenighan looks like it will run to the end of the transfer window. Leonard may be worth another £200k but is Lenighan worth £2 million which is rumoured to be where Blackburn will start the talking. Not sure about that.The thing is tho mate,how many times have ya seen the Lenihan play? Personally i'd never heard of the lad until we were interested in him, I'm not havin a dig at ya by the way.UTCB

bulmer1889
01-08-2017, 11:17 PM
Agreeing a fee is only the half of it,if he's costing that much he ain't goin to come for a bag of beans,Blackburn players won't be on peanuts if this one gets over the line it's gonna cost us

As for Leonard has anyone considered the extra 200k might take him over what we value him at

Carpe_diem
02-08-2017, 07:35 AM
As for Leonard has anyone considered the extra 200k might take him over what we value him at

This, exactly. Tufty has an idea of how much players are worth, and (quite rightly) won't let someone have his pants down just to get them. Exactly what the club needs IMO - we've had plenty of idiot managers in the past pay over the odds for bang average (or worse) players.

BlockD
02-08-2017, 07:53 AM
This, exactly. Tufty has an idea of how much players are worth, and (quite rightly) won't let someone have his pants down just to get them. Exactly what the club needs IMO - we've had plenty of idiot managers in the past pay over the odds for bang average (or worse) players.

Hear,hear

Chips1889
02-08-2017, 08:31 AM
Why can't we offer a straight swap? :)

BlockD
02-08-2017, 08:38 AM
Why can't we offer a straight swap? :)

That would be nice Mr Chips,if Blackburn wanted and could afford the Beards wages,and if he wanted to drop down into the division below

shorehamoldboy
06-08-2017, 05:25 PM
would agree with you there lst forget lenighan till january and up the offer for leonard last piece of the midfield jigsaw

Kezman17
06-08-2017, 09:47 PM
I'd keep Bradford until January at earliest to see how his 'attitude' is if it's anything like when Freeman got told he's going on transfer list hopefully Bradford will have a similar effect