PDA

View Full Version : Safe Sitting or Safe Standing ?

Altobelli
31-07-2017, 01:46 PM
Personally I like to stand at games, I remember taking the wife to Charlton when Judas was in charge, she loved it, the atmosphere sat in the middle of the Burnley faithful, and the game which we won, later in that year I took her to Stamford Bridge for the Cup game, same again the atmosphere thrilled her, and again we won, the only draw back (for her) was that everyone was standing and she could not see a lot of the game.

It brings back good memories standing at grounds, the atmosphere is still their most of the time, the smells, roaming around to different parts of the ground and meeting different folk and getting different views of the game have long gone unfortunately, but maybe standing area's are going to return some time soon with this article, hope it does.

http://thesetpieces.com/features/safe-standing-coming-soon-stadium-near/

sinkov
31-07-2017, 02:28 PM
It's one of the reasons I watch more non-league than league games these days Alto, you can wander round, stand or sit, anywhere you want. Also it's much easier to abuse the officials, and the pies are cheaper. What's not to like ?

I wish they would bring back standing areas, then those that want to stand can do, and those that want sit, or in many cases have to sit, can do with an unobstructed view.

oldcolner
31-07-2017, 03:01 PM
It's one of the reasons I watch more non-league than league games these days Alto, you can wander round, stand or sit, anywhere you want. Also it's much easier to abuse the officials, and the pies are cheaper. What's not to like ?

I wish they would bring back standing areas, then those that want to stand can do, and those that want sit, or in many cases have to sit, can do with an unobstructed view.

Standing isn't much fun for children or smaller people, my dad used to take a stool for us to stand on, but even then you couldn't see a lot in some games so we tried to get to the front. I have no problem with limited safe standing for consenting adults, but folk who stand in front of you when seated are a pain.

Turfmoorspirit
31-07-2017, 10:36 PM
Standining has never been unsafe ! The people who were in control of games were unsafe for being totaly inept. Nothing wrong with having two or three stands for sitting and one for standing so you can chose where you want to be.

The Bedlington Terrier
01-08-2017, 01:39 AM
Standining has never been unsafe ! The people who were in control of games were unsafe for being totaly inept. Nothing wrong with having two or three stands for sitting and one for standing so you can chose where you want to be.

I was at Hillsborough for the Burnley v Newcastle FA Cup semi-final with my six**** year old sister. How we survived the crush I just don't know and the afternoon was a portent of things to come.

The new design of seat to accommodate either safe sitting or standing is a million miles away from the crush barriers, steep banking and slippy steps of yesteryear, thank God!

sinkov
01-08-2017, 07:34 AM
I was at Hillsborough for the Burnley v Newcastle FA Cup semi-final with my six**** year old sister. How we survived the crush I just don't know and the afternoon was a portent of things to come.

And yet BT it was nothing unusual for the time, getting crushed, carried forward and back in a swaying crowd, totally unable to do anything about it was par for the course, in fact it often seemed part of the fun. And at Hillsborough that day it must have been even more scary for the Newcastle fans, the Kop at their end seemed to reach almost into the sky.

In Dyche We Trust
01-08-2017, 07:34 AM
Either for me- but sitting is more comfortable. I remember standing on the Longside back in the day playing Leeds and Liverpool and the sheer numbers of away fans frightened the life out of me with only a thin blue line separating the opposing fans. Having said that, I was able to get to the front and rest me chin on the old white wall by the dug outs.