PDA

View Full Version : 3 signings announced

LaughingMagpie
31-07-2017, 05:27 PM
Saunders, Bird and a Slovakian keeper

countygump
31-07-2017, 05:32 PM
Saunders, Bird and a Slovakian keeper

Sounds like a satirical British television programme from the 80's. We're that skint we can't even afford players with names.

countygump
31-07-2017, 05:36 PM
https://www.nottscountyfc.co.uk/news/2017/july/triple-signing/

BigFatPie
31-07-2017, 05:40 PM
Callum Saunders? Successful trial? Could someone who's seen him play elaborate cos it's not what I've heard.

Steward
31-07-2017, 05:41 PM
Saunders released by crewe for a reason, but when he's out there, you've got to support him.
Why do we need 3 keepers.
Bird has made the step up ok, needs a bit more experience.

countygump
31-07-2017, 05:44 PM
Yebbutt, Pierce Bird..............

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OXVPgu6urw

irishpete
31-07-2017, 05:45 PM
WOW,bet other clubs in Div2 are now ****ting themselves

St Kitts Magpie
31-07-2017, 05:45 PM
Saunders released by crewe for a reason, but when he's got out there, you've got to support him

Also, now a third keeper who will probably expect to challenge for a place in the 1st team. seems a bit much personally. Fitzsimons or Pindroch i would have thought would suffice

Steward
31-07-2017, 05:46 PM
Callum Saunders? Successful trial? Could someone who's seen him play elaborate cos it's not what I've heard.

I've seen him, can't see what he can bring to the team if I'm honest

Freeman25
31-07-2017, 05:49 PM
"The 21-year-old, who was born in Istanbul, came through the academy system at Crewe, scoring twice in 35 appearances for the Railwaymen before being released at the end of the 2016-17 season"

Talk about a mouth watering resumé. They seem more like squad fillers to me but hopefully Bird can keep progressing and turns out to be a fairytale story type story other clubs always seem to be able to pull off.

As others have said, not sure why we need 3 keepers. (Plus the young GK we had last season)

durhampie
31-07-2017, 05:49 PM

Well, ive seen him twice and just cannot believe that we have wasted a wage on him.. it must be the old pals act....

countygump
31-07-2017, 05:55 PM
Well, ive seen him twice and just cannot believe that we have wasted a wage on him.. it must be the old pals act....

We have just been signing any old cr@p. The quality of signings has been worse than the Trust days. There, I've said it.

Steward
31-07-2017, 05:59 PM
I bet these 3 will be in the team tomorrow night v Ilkeston at Basford Utd

St Kitts Magpie
31-07-2017, 06:00 PM
We have just been signing any old cr@p. The quality of signings has been worse than the Trust days. There, I've said it.

Come on. be fair. lets give them a chance when the proper stuff starts on Saturday and onwards. In KN we trust I thought?

Steward
31-07-2017, 06:06 PM
We've signed Saunders because..
We are pleased to have him here. I have spoken to his dad, Dean, a lot and he said Callum just needs a chance.

pedrolane
31-07-2017, 06:19 PM
Saw him last week, he's a lightweight who didn't break sweat, these kind of signings are worrying to everyone but the opposition....Famous dad though .... like Hodge...

jackal2
31-07-2017, 06:25 PM
Each season we release one pile of dead wood and sign another. To be fair, this hasn't started with Alan Hardy, but I'm disappointed he's allowing it to continue. Quality over quantity my eye.

morph66
31-07-2017, 06:28 PM

Seen him twice ( Basford and York) but I can't see why we have taken him on. his dad is much better even now!

jackal2
31-07-2017, 06:36 PM
Delroy Facey had a more successful trial!

countygump
31-07-2017, 06:40 PM
Just a few questions for you.

Would Bird be better on the wing?

Did we sign him on a hire perches agreement?

Does he tend to tweet a lot?

Does he enjoy fat balls?

jackal2
31-07-2017, 06:48 PM
When the goalkeeper signed, you could hear a Pindroch!

Proudpie
31-07-2017, 06:52 PM
Just a few questions for you.

Would Bird be better on the wing?

Did we sign him on a hire perches agreement?

Does he tend to tweet a lot?

Does he enjoy fat balls?

Lost for words

I had high hopes during the close season:

Wow signings
Top 7 budget
Playoffs is the aim

Really ?
When is that starting then ?

My enthusiasm has just nose dived

flukieireland
31-07-2017, 06:59 PM
what signings for other d2 teams have people impressed with? I'm not saying what we signed look great but I've not seen many we missed out on

Elite_Pie
31-07-2017, 07:05 PM
Lost for words

I had high hopes during the close season:

Wow signings
Top 7 budget
Playoffs is the aim

Really ?
When is that starting then ?

My enthusiasm has just nose dived

Can't believe people get so worked up about a few optimistic pre-season statements. It's what they all do - if you can find any club in any division that has officially said "We expect a struggle this season. Other clubs have more cash and much stronger squads so we can only expect a relegation battle", then I'll bare my arse as half time entertainment.

KeepTheMagpieFlyingH
31-07-2017, 07:22 PM
Every signing made so far could be a WOW signing in AH's opinion.

i961pie
31-07-2017, 07:23 PM
Can't believe people get so worked up about a few optimistic pre-season statements. It's what they all do - if you can find any club in any division that has officially said "We expect a struggle this season. Other clubs have more cash and much stronger squads so we can only expect a relegation battle", then I'll bare my arse as half time entertainment.

I can think of a few words to describe that EP but entertainment isn't one of them;D

SmiffyPie
31-07-2017, 07:28 PM
Can't believe people get so worked up about a few optimistic pre-season statements..Really? AH came in bumping his gums about what he was going to do and slagging off everyone prior to his arrival. He has successfully proven himself to be as empty with his promises as RT. No problem with financial limitations and all that involves, he should have just kept his trap shut.

queenslandpie
31-07-2017, 07:33 PM
We've signed Saunders because..
We are pleased to have him here. I have spoken to his dad, Dean, a lot and he said Callum just needs a chance.

Dads wouldn't be biased about their kids would they? He just got a chance last season and ended up released for the record!

queenslandpie
31-07-2017, 07:36 PM
Really? AH came in bumping his gums about what he was going to do and slagging off everyone prior to his arrival. He has successfully proven himself to be as empty with his promises as RT. No problem with financial limitations and all that involves, he should have just kept his trap shut.

Whilst AH appears to have learnt already to be a bit more guarded on wow news type events when are people going to understand that it is NOT AH who signs the players or even decides if they are the ones who come to the club. That will be down to Kevin Nolan and Jason Turner. AH is merely ( oh the irony) the money man. He probably ticks a few boxes but if they are in budget and available its really nothing to do with him other than his slightly disastrous PR stunts.

Elite_Pie
31-07-2017, 07:36 PM
Really? AH came in bumping his gums about what he was going to do and slagging off everyone prior to his arrival. He has successfully proven himself to be as empty with his promises as RT.

That's the way footy clubs work. I'm surprised someone of your age hasn't worked that out by now.

Elite_Pie
31-07-2017, 07:38 PM
I can think of a few words to describe that EP but entertainment isn't one of them;D

Could be a money spinner. Offer a ticket including a set of sharpened darts and Row A would be sold out in no time!

SmiffyPie
31-07-2017, 07:39 PM
Dads wouldn't be biased about their kids would they? He just got a chance last season and ended up released for the record!Listening to Dean on TalkSport on Friday. Mentioned his lad playing at York for us. Reckons his lad is a bit tasty but lacks that certain attitude (Dad talk for my lad is a posing lazy arse)

queenslandpie
31-07-2017, 07:41 PM
Listening to Dean on TalkSport on Friday. Mentioned his lad playing at York for us. Reckons his lad is a bit tasty but lacks that certain attitude (Dad talk for my lad is a posing lazy arse)

Sam Allardyce was a great manager. Don't ever remember his son breaking out of the reserves. Martin Allen was a good manager. His sons ability..... Paul Ince was a ****e manager and look at his son. Dad talk is waffle talk when it comes to these things.

HAPPYMAGPIEHAPPY
31-07-2017, 07:41 PM
What happened to Quality over Quantity ?
It's not happening with these three that's for sure !

KeepTheMagpieFlyingH
31-07-2017, 07:44 PM
Whilst AH appears to have learnt already to be a bit more guarded on wow news type events when are people going to understand that it is NOT AH who signs the players or even decides if they are the ones who come to the club. That will be down to Kevin Nolan and Jason Turner. AH is merely ( oh the irony) the money man. He probably ticks a few boxes but if they are in budget and available its really nothing to do with him other than his slightly disastrous PR stunts.

Players themselves decide..this is where the problem lies. I think we've spoken to a few "WOW" players..hence the premature Tweets..only to be snubbed for reasons unknown.

jackal2
31-07-2017, 07:51 PM
Our striking options are wafer thin.

Jon Forte is not (and probably never was) the player who put in a couple of star performances during earlier loan spells, and Callum Saunders wasn't good enough for Crewe, leaving Jon Stead and Shola Ameobi as our only decent quality options, both in their mid-thirties. Alessandra can play as a second striker I suppose, but isn't noted for being prolific either.

If we don't have a Matt Godden-type signing up our sleeve, we're going to be seriously short of goals come the winter months.

KeepTheMagpieFlyingH
31-07-2017, 07:56 PM
https://youtu.be/CWzKXcsYju0

Now we've signed Callum maybe Deano can give some advice on transfer negotiations.

optipez
31-07-2017, 07:57 PM
Have to say the signing of Saunders is underwhelming. He was anonymous at Basford and Crewe fans seem entirely happy with his release.
Of our signings so far only Grant and Ameobi look genuine safe bets , Jones should be fine if he stays fit.
Alessandra looks promising, Hawkridge a workmanlike player who will put a shift in but pedestrian and Walker a bits and pieces kind of midfielder. Bird looks raw, but he is big, young and open to improvement.
I've not seen much of them, it is pre season and wouldn't want to write a player off before a ball is kicked in anger.
Our starting eleven looks ok but the bench looks a bit weak and there doesn't look to be much guile in the squad at present.
I would expect us to be effective at set pieces as we certainly have a physically strong, pretty tall and robust group of players but suspect we may concede goals to any teams with pace and a bit of movement.
Still, not long to wait and hopefully we can at least have a playoff flirtation this year, it's been decades since we last managed that, we're overdue.

queenslandpie
31-07-2017, 08:00 PM
Our striking options are wafer thin.

Jon Forte is not (and probably never was) the player who put in a couple of star performances during earlier loan spells, and Callum Saunders wasn't good enough for Crewe, leaving Jon Stead and Shola Ameobi as our only decent quality options, both in their mid-thirties. Alessandra can play as a second striker I suppose, but isn't noted for being prolific either.

If we don't have a Matt Godden-type signing up our sleeve, we're going to be seriously short of goals come the winter months.

I have to say that's most probably it for signings now and these 3 are bench warmers at best. That's ok, someone has to be a bench warmer. However I wouldn't say we have done good business this close season on the surface and it is going to take some magic from Mr Nolan on a long term consistent basis to turn this lot into a team capable of a top 10 finish never mind promotion. The measure of how good our manager really is will be in the coming months for me and I wish him all the luck in the world. Let's hope we all get a little surprise as AH likes to put it!

SmiffyPie
31-07-2017, 08:06 PM
I certainly don't want to give the impression that I want AH to fail, I want him to succeed as much as I wanted Ray/PP to succeed. I just find myself laughing at AH and his repetition of Ray's PR mistakes. Call me an old git if you want (joking Elite/BFP) but I like a chairman that doesn't feel the need to present his arse for the sycophants to smooch. I much prefer a chairman to act with the dignity the club deserves.

jackal2
31-07-2017, 08:09 PM
Looking at the level of signings we're making, you do wonder whether the £100k bid for Liam Noble was a publicity stunt all along, because if we really do have that sort of money then it shouldn't be impossible to get a quality striker.

The thing we really lack is pace, and if we've got to sign it on a tight budget then perhaps we've got to scout the non-league like Stevenage did to get Godden. For example, there's a young lad called Jamar Loza at Maidstone who is very nippy with a good eye for goal, scoring roughly 1 in 2 for them last season. Probably more worthy of a punt than Saunders!

Elite_Pie
31-07-2017, 08:14 PM
Call me an old git if you want (joking Elite/BFP) but I like a chairman that doesn't feel the need to present his arse for the sycophants to smooch. I much prefer a chairman to act with the dignity the club deserves.

Me too, but they seem a rare breed in the social media age.

You old git.

SmiffyPie
31-07-2017, 08:17 PM
Me too, but they seem a rare breed in the social media age.

You old git.;D

queenslandpie
31-07-2017, 08:23 PM
I certainly don't want to give the impression that I want AH to fail, I want him to succeed as much as I wanted Ray/PP to succeed. I just find myself laughing at AH and his repetition of Ray's PR mistakes. Call me an old git if you want (joking Elite/BFP) but I like a chairman that doesn't feel the need to present his arse for the sycophants to smooch. I much prefer a chairman to act with the dignity the club deserves.

It's not the 70's 80's or 90's any more. You have to look at the way these people made their money to understand why they act they way they do. AH is Mr Marketing and that's pretty obvious. Glass is always half full etc. Working in fit outs with artsy fartsy design types all day long. I would never have suggested that the previous incumbent to the position was Mr Marketing but he certainly had a way with words that short term appealed to the masses but was badly found out in the end.That just about sums up the recruitment industry for me. You reap what you sow.

pjace
31-07-2017, 08:24 PM
I cant believe these 3 signings why o why do we need 3 keepers.
There must be a better option than Saunders i havnt seen him play but his previous record
does not look good and in the friendlies no one has said anything good about him.
Bird ok i can understand he will improve as he is only 18 but has only played in the 10th tier
that is a lot of improvement needed
Where o where are these so called WOW signings it has become a joke or does Nolan think he is so good a manager
that he can work wonders with this squad.
We still need despite these signings a big ugly c/b a c/m who can pick a pass and unlock a defence
and a goalscorer.
With the squad so far i can only see a mid table finish at best.

legs77
31-07-2017, 08:42 PM
I'm with Smiffy on this one I know it's not the 90's anymore but if this is the level of player we are signing it's best to just keep quiet instead of saying WOW signings.

We do this every season a mad rush to sign well anybody available and some fans will say "it's ok they are only bench warmers and are cheap" we don't want bench warmers or cheap we need players to improve the first eleven which these 3 don't and 3 keepers is strange unless one is going Collin?

Unless he has a striker lined up we will probably finish around 15th which we'd have been delighted with in March last season !

SmiffyPie
31-07-2017, 08:47 PM
It's not the 70's 80's or 90's any more. You have to look at the way these people made their money to understand why they act they way they do. AH is Mr Marketing and that's pretty obvious. Glass is always half full etc. Working in fit outs with artsy fartsy design types all day long. I would never have suggested that the previous incumbent to the position was Mr Marketing but he certainly had a way with words that short term appealed to the masses but was badly found out in the end.That just about sums up the recruitment industry for me. You reap what you sow.Yes, time moves on and accepted standards change, nothing wrong with that but class is timeless and class always tells.

queenslandpie
31-07-2017, 08:50 PM
Yes, time moves on and accepted standards change, nothing wrong with that but class is timeless and class always tells.

I agree. However the problem with class is that it generally takes time for people to appreciate it. Take the late Mr Pavis for example. Try telling that to today's 'want it now' generation of sheep. If we have a bad start to the season the knives will well and truly be out for Hardy and Nolan make no mistake and I truly hope that isn't the case. With the signings made, they will do huge damage if we aren't performing as there is nowhere to run, especially after all the bigging up that's gone on. Here's hoping we win the opening 6 games!

SmiffyPie
31-07-2017, 09:16 PM
I agree. However the problem with class is that it generally takes time for people to appreciate it. Take the late Mr Pavis for example. Try telling that to today's 'want it now' generation of sheep. If we have a bad start to the season the knives will well and truly be out for Hardy and Nolan make no mistake and I truly hope that isn't the case. With the signings made, they will do huge damage if we aren't performing as there is nowhere to run, especially after all the bigging up that's gone on. Here's hoping we win the opening 6 games!Exactly right which is why AH should have resisted the urge to try and ingratiate himself with the masses!!

Bohinen
31-07-2017, 09:40 PM
I agree. However the problem with class is that it generally takes time for people to appreciate it. Take the late Mr Pavis for example. Try telling that to today's 'want it now' generation of sheep.

Derek Pavis did invest in the club from day one, so they got it 'now', Barnwell was a well known manager back then and the signings were big names, like Birtles, Pike and Mills. Even when that didn't quite work out, he got Warnock in and invested more. With the best will in the world, these signings are Trust standard.

uysapie
31-07-2017, 09:41 PM
Exactly right which is why AH should have resisted the urge to try and ingratiate himself with the masses!!

He shouldn't have gobbed off about WOW signings, we are now down to the squad fillers again.

uysapie
31-07-2017, 09:42 PM
Derek Pavis did invest in the club from day one, so they got it 'now', Barnwell was a well known manager back then and the signings were big names, like Birtles, Pike and Mills. Even when that didn't quite work out, he got Warnock in and invested more. With the best will in the world, these signings are Trust standard.

You're being generous. If AH wants Notts to move up the leagues, it is going to take a lot more investment.

uysapie
31-07-2017, 09:43 PM
I cant believe these 3 signings why o why do we need 3 keepers.
There must be a better option than Saunders i havnt seen him play but his previous record
does not look good and in the friendlies no one has said anything good about him.
Bird ok i can understand he will improve as he is only 18 but has only played in the 10th tier
that is a lot of improvement needed
Where o where are these so called WOW signings it has become a joke or does Nolan think he is so good a manager
that he can work wonders with this squad.
We still need despite these signings a big ugly c/b a c/m who can pick a pass and unlock a defence
and a goalscorer.
With the squad so far i can only see a mid table finish at best.

Where's the "like" button?

DomdomPie
31-07-2017, 09:44 PM
Pierce Bird I get - an 18 yr old defender who's impressed on trial. Fair enough.

The other 2 seem unnecessary. 3 goalies + the lad from the academy... not sure I see the sense. Saunders ditto.

uysapie
31-07-2017, 09:44 PM
Looking at the level of signings we're making, you do wonder whether the £100k bid for Liam Noble was a publicity stunt all along, because if we really do have that sort of money then it shouldn't be impossible to get a quality striker.

The thing we really lack is pace, and if we've got to sign it on a tight budget then perhaps we've got to scout the non-league like Stevenage did to get Godden. For example, there's a young lad called Jamar Loza at Maidstone who is very nippy with a good eye for goal, scoring roughly 1 in 2 for them last season. Probably more worthy of a punt than Saunders!

Begs the question as to whether the £100k was there?

queenslandpie
31-07-2017, 09:45 PM
Exactly right which is why AH should have resisted the urge to try and ingratiate himself with the masses!!

Nobody knows what has gone on behind the scenes with the wow signings but I am sure he will learn not to do it again. If he does it again then he's a bloody idiot.

uysapie
31-07-2017, 09:46 PM
Pierce Bird I get - an 18 yr old defender who's impressed on trial. Fair enough.

The other 2 seem unnecessary. 3 goalies + the lad from the academy... not sure I see the sense. Saunders ditto.

That's the problem, why sign what appears to be players who do not improve the squad?

queenslandpie
31-07-2017, 09:47 PM
Begs the question as to whether the £100k was there?

The thing a lot of people forget is that you are asking players to come to a club that skirted strongly with relegation from the football league last year and Munto aside has under performed for over a decade. If I was a reasonably decent lower league player with a few offers of similar ilk and one of them was Notts County I have to say I wouldn't be particularly tempted. Our past failures will haunt us for some time yet.

countygump
31-07-2017, 09:48 PM
Where's the "like" button?

Or in this particular instance, where's the "wow" button.

countygump
31-07-2017, 09:49 PM

This ^^^^ trust level signings is exactly what they are.

uysapie
31-07-2017, 09:51 PM
Or in this particular instance, where's the "wow" button.

Appears to have gone missing with the new signings.

queenslandpie
31-07-2017, 09:53 PM

In those days Notts even pre Barnwell were doing ok in the old division 2 under Jimmy with a very small budget indeed. Although you are correct re: Pavis investment. However he was class. It was a lot different then to now of course with Notts regularly throwing big money around for players like Phil Stant and the ones you mention. Who could ever forget the 4-4 draw with Wigan on the opening day! Some of the new signings do look like bums on seats I have to agree. I haven't read about the contract lengths or terms. We can only hope that Steady and Shola bang 'em in!

nw6pie
31-07-2017, 10:28 PM
Bird seems like he has potential, but it's a big step up for an 18-year-old. Let's hope we've unearthed a gem and not a Scoffham, although my main sense with today's signings is that they'll be loaned out to Ilkeston very quickly. And for the life of me I can't understand we have three goalkeepers (plus the youth keeper) on the books.

If this is the squad for the season, I'll be very happily surprised if we're anywhere near the play-offs.

uysapie
31-07-2017, 10:33 PM
Bird seems like he has potential, but it's a big step up for an 18-year-old. Let's hope we've unearthed a gem and not a Scoffham, although my main sense with today's signings is that they'll be loaned out to Ilkeston very quickly. And for the life of me I can't understand we have three goalkeepers (plus the youth keeper) on the books.

If this is the squad for the season, I'll be very happily surprised if we're anywhere near the play-offs.

I'll be happy if we are nowhere near relegation.

i961pie
31-07-2017, 11:04 PM
Could be a money spinner. Offer a ticket including a set of sharpened darts and Row A would be sold out in no time!

Make it a couple of sniper rifles;D I know one or wo that might take you up on that:P

Old_pie
31-07-2017, 11:05 PM

This latest tweet is an indication of the WOW level we're headed for:

AH: "Hoping for a couple more. Disappointed we missed out on Lacovitti."

Are we sure we heard him right? Maybe he meant "Wow, we're actually getting someone to sign for us".

PedroTheFisherman66
01-08-2017, 02:35 AM

back in the day if you brought a player for hard cash , if they were a success there was a good chance you would make your money back and more.
Now days if you sign a player you are more likely than not to lose him for free when his ( or hers !) contract runs out.
Basically it's a different ball game now and the players hold all the aces !

Bohinen
01-08-2017, 07:14 AM
back in the day if you brought a player for hard cash , if they were a success there was a good chance you would make your money back and more.
Now days if you sign a player you are more likely than not to lose him for free when his ( or hers !) contract runs out.
Basically it's a different ball game now and the players hold all the aces !

I don't really agree with that. Forest just sold a bang average player for £14 million. In fact, buying players, developing then selling them to clubs higher up the pyramid is one of the few ways a club can make money these days. The best way of wasting money is to buy deadwood on 2 year contracts.

I mean, we've brought him here because his Dad thinks he deserves a chance? Where's the business sense in that decision?

St Kitts Magpie
01-08-2017, 07:51 AM
The thing a lot of people forget is that you are asking players to come to a club that skirted strongly with relegation from the football league last year and Munto aside has under performed for over a decade. If I was a reasonably decent lower league player with a few offers of similar ilk and one of them was Notts County I have to say I wouldn't be particularly tempted. Our past failures will haunt us for some time yet.

I think this is reasonable point..

Old_pie
01-08-2017, 08:06 AM
Well we can all rest at ease, AH has proclaimed:

Alan Hardy‏Verified account @Bigalanh5 10m10 minutes ago

Fantastic new talent. These are "Tomorrow's Stars!"

Oldstripy
01-08-2017, 08:44 AM
Here's a radical thought, those players who are being slagged off on this board may be loaned out to Ilkeston Town FC to help them develop into better players for part or all the coming season. B)

Bridg4d_Pie_
01-08-2017, 09:05 AM
Well we can all rest at ease, AH has proclaimed:

Alan Hardy‏Verified account @Bigalanh5 10m10 minutes ago

And you may end up eating Humble Pie too. :O;D

pravda_plc
01-08-2017, 09:06 AM
Here's a radical thought, those players who are being slagged off on this board may be loaned out to Ilkeston Town FC to help them develop into better players for part or all the coming season. B)

Radical thought is not allowed on NCM Oldstripy!

Time for a hearty chorus of HARDY OUT! I mean how dare the man be even considering paying for a new drum for the kop, when he has cheated us of our WOW signings that were promised in a legally binding contract - subject top Wiki-Verification.....

Bridg4d_Pie_
01-08-2017, 09:08 AM

Sadly, Oldstripy that is far to logical for the White Stick Brigade to see, why bring logic into the equation when you can kick the Chairman and Owner and Kevin Nolan's @r$e because it does not suit their current agenda. ;D

countygump
01-08-2017, 09:21 AM
"Stability", was never the buzz word tho was it? I and most fans would certainly have accepted that after the last few years. "Wow" and "play-offs minimum" were tho. Point is, it's a bit rich to blame the fans for moaning after their expectations were elevated by an owner whose manager then goes on to sign the biggest load of dross in living memory, (including the Trust years). Wonder what you'd all be saying if Ray was still in charge?

Old_pie
01-08-2017, 09:33 AM
And you may end up eating Humble Pie too. :O;D

I'd love to but I'm not the one "bigging" things up. I'm not going round with "Wow" #faith #promotion statements.

If you ever read back on my posts over the past few seasons the theme you should have picked up are:

Stability

End the season with the same manager that started

Hold on to the right group of players so that they get to know each other's names (you know what I mean, playing style etc).

I'll criticise AH for almost exactly the same reasons that I criticised RT, the main difference is that every picture of RT had a scowl and every AH picture has a big grin.

#realism - yes please. #goodresult then I'll #clapclap.

If you don't follow twitter here is the fuller exchange and how AH responds to fawning:

Alan Hardy‏Verified account @Bigalanh5 2h2 hours ago

Alan Hardy Retweeted Ian Baggott

Alan Hardy added,
Ian Baggott @IanBaggott1
Replying to @Johnnysmalls78 @Bigalanh5
I'm really impressed by the signings yesterday. They all look hungry to succeed. Great work 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻
0 replies 0 retweets 0 likes

Or are you Ian Baggott? Are you - seriously, are you impressed by the signings? I don't mean do you hope they will work out, but do you see them, at this moment, as "Tomorrow's Starts!".

They may be, they likely won't be (that just an unfortunate fact) but why set himself up. Just wish them well and promise them the best opportunity "#welcome aboard, we'll do all we can to give your careers a kick start".

On the one hand you seem to crave stability, on the other you are critical when realism is mentioned. Typical Notts supporter eh? :)

Oldstripy
01-08-2017, 09:39 AM
"Stability", was never the buzz word tho was it? I and most fans would certainly have accepted that after the last few years. "Wow" and "play-offs minimum" were tho. Point is, it's a bit rich to blame the fans for moaning after their expectations were elevated by an owner whose manager then goes on to sign the biggest load of dross in living memory, (including the Trust years). Wonder what you'd all be saying if Ray was still in charge?

gumpy my interpretation of the "WoW" and "play - offs twitter, is Alan Hardy engaging in football banter, I for one did not take them seriously so I do not feel let down by those remakes.

As i said on another post mid table or above this season is progress.

Old_pie
01-08-2017, 09:46 AM
gumpy my interpretation of the "WoW" and "play - offs twitter, is Alan Hardy engaging in football banter, I for one did not take them seriously so I do not feel let down by those remakes.

Sorry, I reckon you'd get blocked if you tweeted that to AH. #negativity.

Nonetheless it is the easiest way to swallow what our club owner has to say.

countygump
01-08-2017, 09:59 AM
gumpy my interpretation of the "WoW" and "play - offs twitter, is Alan Hardy engaging in an attempt to increase S/T sales, I for one did not take them seriously so I do not feel let down by those remakes.

As i said on another post mid table or above this season is progress.

Fixed it.

Oldstripy
01-08-2017, 10:01 AM

As you say, but it's sad when you take a cynical view about everything AH writes, and I am not on twitter or facebook.

arnapie
01-08-2017, 10:11 AM

You seem to be developing an unhealthy obsession with Hardy and Twitter.

Old_pie
01-08-2017, 10:14 AM
You seem to be developing an unhealthy obsession with Hardy and Twitter.

Weird that I check to see what our new owner says. You suggest we all ignore him, #fantasist?

Bridg4d_Pie_
01-08-2017, 10:15 AM
I'd love to but I'm not the one "bigging" things up. I'm not going round with "Wow" #faith #promotion statements.

If you ever read back on my posts over the past few seasons the theme you should have picked up are:

Stability

End the season with the same manager that started

Hold on to the right group of players so that they get to know each other's names (you know what I mean, playing style etc).

I'll criticise AH for almost exactly the same reasons that I criticised RT, the main difference is that every picture of RT had a scowl and every AH picture has a big grin.

#realism - yes please. #goodresult then I'll #clapclap.

If you don't follow twitter here is the fuller exchange and how AH responds to fawning:

Alan Hardy‏Verified account @Bigalanh5 2h2 hours ago

Alan Hardy Retweeted Ian Baggott

Alan Hardy added,
Ian Baggott @IanBaggott1
Replying to @Johnnysmalls78 @Bigalanh5
I'm really impressed by the signings yesterday. They all look hungry to succeed. Great work ������������
0 replies 0 retweets 0 likes

Or are you Ian Baggott? Are you - seriously, are you impressed by the signings? I don't mean do you hope they will work out, but do you see them, at this moment, as "Tomorrow's Starts!".

They may be, they likely won't be (that just an unfortunate fact) but why set himself up. Just wish them well and promise them the best opportunity "#welcome aboard, we'll do all we can to give your careers a kick start".

On the one hand you seem to crave stability, on the other you are critical when realism is mentioned. Typical Notts supporter eh? :)

I hope I'm a typical Notts Supporter, 67 years and still attending, put that in your pipe of peace, I don't do twitter to many of the Bull $h1ter Birds on the wires. :O

mods100
01-08-2017, 10:45 AM
the 3 new signings seems to be a bit unfair on the 4 youth team players who earned a 1 year contract this season , which I understand is not a pro contract but a 3rd year scholar ? what ever that means
goalkeeper searson now 4th choice , 2 defenders richards & dearle , and centre mid Brown-Hil all who have impressed in pre season games
what does the future hold for these 4 home grown players and there development ? all of them have impressed me more than saunders/hodge pre season

slack_pie
01-08-2017, 11:05 AM
I don't really have a problem getting a third keeper in and a young local defender with potential. But I just don't get the Saunders signing. All he has going for him is a famous Dad. He was obviously deemed not good enough for Crewe, and then failed to impress on his trail. So why offer him a deal?

We released Adam Campbell earlier in the summer. Now I'm not saying that Campbell was the answer to our problems, but he scored 8 goals last season in all comps, was young and had a good pedigree. There's no way Saunders will score 8 goals next season, so why not just keep Campbell?

KeepTheMagpieFlyingH
01-08-2017, 11:15 AM
I don't really have a problem getting a third keeper in and a young local defender with potential. But I just don't get the Saunders signing. All he has going for him is a famous Dad. He was obviously deemed not good enough for Crewe, and then failed to impress on his trail. So why offer him a deal?

We released Adam Campbell earlier in the summer. Now I'm not saying that Campbell was the answer to our problems, but he scored 8 goals last season in all comps, was young and had a good pedigree. There's no way Saunders will score 8 goals next season, so why not just keep Campbell?

A favour from Darren Fletcher to Dean Saunders at a guess..the clubs rife with nepotism at the minute..even in the youth teams.

crazyfists
01-08-2017, 11:21 AM
Let's be honest the signings haven't been amazing but I'm hoping under KN, the whole will be greater than the parts. I think we just have to wait and see on that front. As regards AH then yes he has been trewesque at times but he's spent money at the ground so that's done now, as long as this season is pretty steady then at least we have those things in place for next season which will free up more cash for signings.

I just think we should give the owner and manager chance before we commit seppuku on the Kop steps shouting "You broke your promises Alan!" If the players signed turn out to be complete Cr@p as we all suspect they might (this is Notts after all) then hopefully something will have been learnt by AH although I think we were in for some good signings but they turned us down for whatever reason.

I do think though that our youth players who were given an extra year should get more experience though or what's the point.

COYP

Old_pie
01-08-2017, 11:42 AM
I hope I'm a typical Notts Supporter, 67 years and still attending, put that in your pipe of peace, I don't do twitter to many of the Bull $h1ter Birds on the wires. :O

I bow to your few years of seniority. As far as Bull $h1ter Birds - exactly my point.

Bridg4d_Pie_
01-08-2017, 12:16 PM
Let's be honest the signings haven't been amazing but I'm hoping under KN, the whole will be greater than the parts. I think we just have to wait and see on that front. As regards AH then yes he has been trewesque at times but he's spent money at the ground so that's done now, as long as this season is pretty steady then at least we have those things in place for next season which will free up more cash for signings.

I just think we should give the owner and manager chance before we commit seppuku on the Kop steps shouting "You broke your promises Alan!" If the players signed turn out to be complete Cr@p as we all suspect they might (this is Notts after all) then hopefully something will have been learnt by AH although I think we were in for some good signings but they turned us down for whatever reason.

I do think though that our youth players who were given an extra year should get more experience though or what's the point.

COYP

Wot he says ^^^^^^^^^

pedrolane
01-08-2017, 03:14 PM
Saunders 2 goals in 23 games for Crewe, a real steal, and his dad says he's a bit tasty?

Trickytreesreds
01-08-2017, 03:17 PM

only with a cross bow lol

uysapie
01-08-2017, 03:27 PM
only with a cross bow lol

He'd feel shafted!

Steward
01-08-2017, 03:34 PM

I can't see him scoring 8 goals in the length of his contract.

jackal2
01-08-2017, 05:48 PM
I don't really have a problem getting a third keeper in.

We haven't. We've got a fourth 'keeper in. Joe Searson-Smithard was deemed good enough to be sub goalkeeper for some games last season, but probably won't get a look-in now. Yet another example of Alan Hardy's "bring through the young players" strategy being ignored, whether he originally meant it or not. I've heard all the excuses about "not ready yet" before. He never will be unless he gets a chance.

Frigiliana Pie 1
01-08-2017, 06:11 PM
At least one of the keepers, possibly two, will go out on loan. That way they'll get some first team action and even if it's at non league level, it should be good experience.

jackal2
01-08-2017, 06:15 PM
At least one of the keepers, possibly two, will go out on loan. That way they'll get some first team action and even if it's at non league level, it should be good experience.

But in terms of use of resources, why does a League Two club need four goalkeepers? Fair enough, have Collin as No.1 and Fitzsimons at No.12 and send Searson-Smithard out on loan with an immediate recall option if needed, but surely the 'other' keeper is a waste of a wage which could contribute to the pot for a quality signing in other positions?

nw6pie
01-08-2017, 10:31 PM
But in terms of use of resources, why does a League Two club need four goalkeepers? Fair enough, have Collin as No.1 and Fitzsimons at No.12 and send Searson-Smithard out on loan with an immediate recall option if needed, but surely the 'other' keeper is a waste of a wage which could contribute to the pot for a quality signing in other positions?

The fourth goalkeeper is a bizarre one - makes absolutely no sense unless Collin is leaving, but that wouldn't make any sense either on the eve of the season. We seem to be panicking to fill out the team photo and Ilkeston's side, not improving our starting XI. Plus ca change, and all that.