PDA

View Full Version : Stability

magicianpie
01-08-2017, 06:46 AM
After reading the messages on here, folk annoyed we haven't signed a team of world beaters. I thought a dose of realism may be required.

We have had a rather tumultuous time of late, we've been through more managers and players than I care to remember. None of the mass changes have really benifited us.

I believe both AH and KN have stated that they want to be the right end of the league but want to do it right so if we go up we are not struggling and end up coming back down. Maybe just maybe AH isn't going to run before he can walk and this session could for once end up being a season of mediocrity for a change.

So maybe relax a bit, expect a bit less, hopefully enjoy the football and seeing faces at the lane you might not have seen since May and cheer on the Mighty Pies. Hopefully a season without worrying about the future of our club will do us all well.

That said....

Notts to win the league?

seriouspie
01-08-2017, 08:22 AM
After reading the messages on here, folk annoyed we haven't signed a team of world beaters. I thought a dose of realism may be required.

We have had a rather tumultuous time of late, we've been through more managers and players than I care to remember. None of the mass changes have really benifited us.

I believe both AH and KN have stated that they want to be the right end of the league but want to do it right so if we go up we are not struggling and end up coming back down. Maybe just maybe AH isn't going to run before he can walk and this session could for once end up being a season of mediocrity for a change.

So maybe relax a bit, expect a bit less, hopefully enjoy the football and seeing faces at the lane you might not have seen since May and cheer on the Mighty Pies. Hopefully a season without worrying about the future of our club will do us all well.

That said....

Notts to win the league?

Certainly worth a punt for (anyway) promotion.

Oldstripy
01-08-2017, 08:37 AM

That said....

Notts to win the league?

Fully agree with that magicianpie.

There are some on here who have blocked out the last few seasons of relegation fights, anything above mid table (promotion or playoffs would be fantastic) will be progress this coming season.

Bridg4d_Pie_
01-08-2017, 09:01 AM
Fully agree with that magicianpie.

There are some on here who have blocked out the last few seasons of relegation fights, anything above mid table (promotion or playoffs would be fantastic) will be progress this coming season.

I have to agree with the above posts, there is still a whole lot of negativity doing the rounds with reference to some of the signings that have been made in particular the last three. Where are the Wow Signings seems to be a favorite quotation. Yes sure they were mentioned, by Alan but for one reason or other none have yet managed to be brought over the line, that is not say one of these signings will not happen, Kevin Nolan has never mentioned promotion this season, his message has always been about stability, building a platform to move forward from, judging by the signings we have made to date it appears that is exactly what is happening.

It makes a change to see the Club being run in a proper business like manner rather than the chuck it all up in the air and see if it lands it the right holes of the last few seasons, long may it continue, the pitch looks a whole lot better than the recent close season box of B & Q Grass Seed sprinkled here and there. The whole infra structure of the Club needed addressing and it appears that Alan is at last placing round pegs in round holes long may it continue and I for one hope he reaps the rewards for his hard work it is already becoming a special occasion to be at the Lane on match days one to look forward to again, no longer a chore and for that alone I thank him.

Oldstripy
01-08-2017, 09:30 AM
I have to agree with the above posts, there is still a whole lot of negativity doing the rounds with reference to some of the signings that have been made in particular the last three. Where are the Wow Signings seems to be a favorite quotation. Yes sure they were mentioned, by Alan but for one reason or other none have yet managed to be brought over the line, that is not say one of these signings will not happen, Kevin Nolan has never mentioned promotion this season, his message has always been about stability, building a platform to move forward from, judging by the signings we have made to date it appears that is exactly what is happening.

It makes a change to see the Club being run in a proper business like manner rather than the chuck it all up in the air and see if it lands it the right holes of the last few seasons, long may it continue, the pitch looks a whole lot better than the recent close season box of B & Q Grass Seed sprinkled here and there. The whole infra structure of the Club needed addressing and it appears that Alan is at last placing round pegs in round holes long may it continue and I for one hope he reaps the rewards for his hard work it is already becoming a special occasion to be at the Lane on match days one to look forward to again, no longer a chore and for that alone I thank him.

Excellent post Bridg4d_Pie_, nice to see some common sense being posted instead of all the whingeing.

queenslandpie
01-08-2017, 11:02 AM
Excellent post Bridg4d_Pie_, nice to see some common sense being posted instead of all the whingeing.

Yes as I stated elsewhere a club that stared down the barrel of relegation from the football league last season won't be picking up too many WOW signings as those players will have the pick of clubs. It will take a few years to rid ourselves of the shambolic player management and signing practises of the various previous incumbents to the managers role before we can be taken seriously in the transfer market again. If I was a decent lower league player with a few offers on the table I wouldn't be rushing to join Notts. Maybe next year. None the less if we don't win all 6 opening games it'll be back to Hardy out etc. I am interested to see how the chairman and manager will respond to the inevitable cat calls when we are in the bottom 4 after a month! League One here we come? Unlikely but at this stage of the season you never know. I truly believe that this season anything is possible. We could get promoted or get relegated. I'll be happy with 10th mind.

jackal2
01-08-2017, 06:07 PM

That said....

Notts to win the league?

In principle I agree with this, but as I've said in another thread, Alan Hardy has been the one talking up the expectation on social media and making highly public three-figure bids for ex-players. To some extent, he's made a rod for his own back. If we've learned anything from Ray Trew's experiences, it's probably to steer clear of social media altogether and to only talk about quality signings when they're in the bag.

When Kevin Nolan talked about a season of consolidation for 2017/18 on Radio Nottingham last season, Alan Hardy contradicted him and said he was aiming for top seven. I'm afraid people are judging our signings (to date) on whether they will be good enough to achieve this, and I think many doubt it.

BigFatPie
01-08-2017, 06:45 PM

?

I've been reading/contributing to Notts message boards for about 15 years and every summer people say Notts fans are unrealistic when they complain about signing what appears to be another load of crap. That and "you can't judge players until you see em play".

I'll leave someone else to work out how many top half finishes we've had in those 15 years...

marshall55
01-08-2017, 06:49 PM
Dunno about stability, our front line should be on mobility.

SmiffyPie
01-08-2017, 07:37 PM
We were sheite last season so be grateful we might be less sheite this season. That's accepting low standards as the norm.

upthemaggies
01-08-2017, 07:44 PM
Finishing 8th-12th would have to be seen as decent progress after two successive flirtations with the drop to non-league, particularly if we have a campaign similar to Mansfield's last season when they were in with a shout for the majority of it.

It always annoys when managers say "Anybody can beat anybody in this league", well they wouldn't be in this league if they had no chance whatsoever, but that statement is more true of L2 than any other league, it is the most difficult division to predict. Big clubs have sunk this low for a reason and should not be feared. Clubs who struggle to get 3k through the gate can make a serious challenge.

All professional footballers have been recognised as good players as they progressed through the ranks, it's probably a lack of belief and/or not having the right attitude that has prevented many of those currently in L2 from playing at a higher level. As we've seen, you almost have to be deliberately awful to struggle at this level so if Nolan can get the best out of what we've got, we may surprise those who expect us to struggle again.

nw6pie
01-08-2017, 10:14 PM

That said....

Notts to win the league?

My concern is that we have done the very thing KN/AH said we wouldn't do and bought in a load of players who aren't going to improve last season's side. How many players have we signed in the last fortnight who had the option of signing for another club? Only Grant, I assume.

We all saw the difference a bit of quality made when we signed Bola on loan last season - can we hope that Notts are still after a few quality loanees before the end of August? Or will that be plan B if we get off to a bad start?