PDA

View Full Version : Penalty Shootout Trial Next Season.

POGGYWELL
01-08-2017, 09:14 AM
The EFL yesterday confirmed that it would support the trial of the reformed ABBA penalty format for the new season.

The revised system is being supported and trialled internationally by FIFA and in some European competitions with UEFA and the ABBA system will be adopted by the Football League for this year's League Cup, EFL Trophy and for all EFL Play Offs.

The ABBA system is believed to be more fair than the current ABAB system of penalties and the trial is backed by the International Football Association Board (IFAB), being their response to a hypothesis that the player taking the second kick is instantly under more pressure mentally to score in the current format.

So from ABAB we get to ABBA in an effort to remove any apparent advantage a team kicking first might have.

The whole thing sounds like a couple of bands have joined the Thunderbirds to be honest.

In basic it means the new system will work on the following basis:

1st kick - Team A
2nd kick - Team B
3rd kick - Team B
4th kick - Team A
5th kick - Team A
6th kick - Team B
7th kick - Team B
8th kick - Team A
9th kick - Team A
10th kick - Team B
11th kick - Team B
12th kick - Team A

and so on...but penalties will continue on the five efforts a piece unless a knock out process is required and then it will run until the first side misses and the other doesn't until we have a winner.

Shaun Harvey, EFL chief executive, is quoted by efl.com as saying.

'We welcome innovation at the EFL and I am pleased to see that the EFL is able to play its part in an important development for football. IFAB have identified a theory that the current arrangements for penalty kicks potentially provide an unfair advantage to the team taking the first kick so we are keen to see if the new system has an impact on one of the most discussed issues in football.'

He continued.

'We all want football matches to be decided in a fair and consistent manner and I am sure the new system will add an interesting dynamic to the conclusion of matches in our competitions if required.'

The first round of this years' League Cup competition will provide the first opportunity for the new system to probably confuse most fans as they won't realise a change has been made.

I'm not sure if the Premier League has adopted this for the coming year, there might be a later statement, but chances are at least some top flight sides will have to adjust to this in the League Cup.

EastStandRed
01-08-2017, 09:37 AM
Absolute load of rubbish from UEFA and the EFL . They ought to put more time into tacking corruption in their own organisations, affordable ticket prices for the working man and clubs blatantly cheating by running up hundreds of millions of pounds worth of debt with no possible way of ever paying it off .

Romared
01-08-2017, 09:43 AM
Tha daft bugguz , do they all sit in a dark room mekkin these barmy bleedin ideas up :zzz:

DOOALI
01-08-2017, 10:05 AM
Just shows what them to++era do absolutely f**k all

Romared
01-08-2017, 02:36 PM
The penalty shoot outs will be played out to ABBA music !!
" The winner takes it all "

Acido
01-08-2017, 04:43 PM
This isnt a terrible idea but it seems piddly and irrelevant when you think of some of the problems footy could try and sort out.
It does sort of take the pressure off the team taking the second kick all the time, during sudden death etc.

Romared
01-08-2017, 04:48 PM
Jermunz wud still beart us :(

EastStandRed
01-08-2017, 08:15 PM
Bump

anstonred
02-08-2017, 01:33 PM
What next? If the wind is blowing strongly from one goal to the other, do we change round every 20 mins so the team playing with the wind in the 1st half doesn't get an advantage? I'm not against the ABBA thing cos I don't really care! I just think they need to leave things be sometimes - I'd sooner they concentrate on proper issues like shirt-pulling and obstruction in the box at corners etc
Then again, I am an old git!

Ponte_Steve24
02-08-2017, 01:35 PM
I prefer a good baba anyday XD