PDA

View Full Version : WOW - Wheres the quality?

jonnyt1
01-08-2017, 11:30 AM
Looks to me that we must have missed out on all our WOW targets.

Sorry Alan I don't feel the quality, it seems like a repeat of the Trew years. I simply see another season of toil with little chance of the playoffs. Then you sack the manager.

I can sum up our signings as 'Never mind the quality, feel the width'

I cannot see us scoring more than 50 league goals, but see us conceding more given the lack of quality in defense still

DelroyFacey22
01-08-2017, 11:36 AM
I actually feel like there was MORE optimism after some of the Ray Trew led pre seasons than this one to be fair

queenslandpie
01-08-2017, 11:43 AM
I actually feel like there was MORE optimism after some of the Ray Trew led pre seasons than this one to be fair

We are a ****e leage 2 side. I hate to say it but Notts fans are more arrogant the Forest fans nowadays with their air of expectation. It's imburrussing it really is. We are ****e and have been for years and that is why wow signings dont want to play for us. End of.

Old_pie
01-08-2017, 11:48 AM
We are a ****e leage 2 side. I hate to say it but Notts fans are more arrogant the Forest fans nowadays with their air of expectation. It's imburrussing it really is. We are ****e and have been for years and that is why wow signings dont want to play for us. End of.

Who mentioned we were getting any wow signings?

Elite_Pie
01-08-2017, 11:53 AM
I don't like to agree with jonny, but I posted this a couple of weeks back after the Basford game:

I can see why people might 'LOL' at anyone drawing conclusions from a couple of meaningless friendlies, but I just don't see how we will even match last season's poor performance at this stage. A couple of key signings in the right areas could change things, but at the moment we have a very limited first XI with zero competition for places. My only hope is that Nolan can create a whole that is greater than the sum of it's parts. I believe that 13/8 (Skybet) for a bottom half finish is excellent value.

I suppose there is a bit more competition for places now, but it doesn't look strong competition. Paddy Power are offering odds of 17/10 for us to finish in the bottom half, which I have just taken advantage of.

countygump
01-08-2017, 12:06 PM

In all fairness, I don't think there was a time under Ray Trew when we recruited as poorly as we have done this season. Sad to say but trew, sorry, true.

Bushwacka
01-08-2017, 12:20 PM
I think the main issue is that AH promised WOW signings (because that's what he does and how he does business) and there haven't been any, which is leading people to be more pessimistic about the squad than if he had been honest/realistic.

Kevin Nolan averaged 1.6 points a game with a squad that is only really now missing Marc Bola (and that average includes 4 points from a lackluster last 5 games once we were safe). Maybe AH and KN are confident they can continue that form (74+ points, enough for play offs) and a bit more with a few of the signings they have made. Nolan's recent interview seemed to show confidence in his methods.

I'm happy to wait and see.

Yesterday's signings are daft though.

Bridg4d_Pie_
01-08-2017, 12:23 PM

Sorry Alan I don't feel the quality, it seems like a repeat of the Trew years. I simply see another season of toil with little chance of the playoffs. Then you sack the manager.

I cannot see us scoring more than 50 league goals, but see us conceding more given the lack of quality in defense still

By the way its getting boring now Jonny, but Hey Ho I'm just off to the Bookies to put some of my hard earned pension on them, many thanks for your Red Hot Tip. :P

DelroyFacey22
01-08-2017, 12:56 PM

Step down off that ledge, don't jump, it's not worth it

Wooderson
01-08-2017, 01:15 PM
As Bushwacka said, it's basically the same side that achieved play-off, and at times automatic promotion form between January and the end of the season, with Jones for Bola, who granted I would have loved back, but also Hawkridge for Yeates, Brisley for Hollis, and Allesandra for Campbell. And more competition for keepers. Oh, and a full pre-season behind them. That's why I can't join in with this toys out of the pram hissy fit - I'd say we've upgraded, maybe not spectacularly, but certainly solidly. And the window doesn't even shut until Aug 31.

I'd add that 'wow' signings rarely work out for Notts - Zoko, Haynes, McLeod to name but three in recent years.

Bohinen
01-08-2017, 02:03 PM
Any comparison needs to factor in that we are now missing O'Connor, and he really hasn't been replaced.

I notice that even the journalist from Luton recognised that.

DelroyFacey22
01-08-2017, 02:10 PM
O'Connor arrived with a lot of name value but really didn't impress THAT much imo, he made the odd decent pass but in terms of overall impacts on games Milsom and Hewitt seemed to do more imo, he showed glimpses without a doubt but I don't think he ever really got going properly before his injury.

Trickytreesreds
01-08-2017, 02:26 PM

I agree with QLP.
We have been down this road ourselves. Demanding big name stars. All that happens, is that we are a struggling Championship side and get saddled with big name has beens, on massive wages. They usually don't care, or fall on the sick table.
This season, we have spent minimal on potential talent and concentrated on youth and team building.
What I have observed is a fitter/hungrier/bull dog outfit. We won't win anything, but may just surprise a few people.
Notts need to think along the same lines. No more Ben Burgess's/Smiths and look to the bigger picture.

DelroyFacey22
01-08-2017, 02:56 PM
I agree with QLP.
We have been down this road ourselves. Demanding big name stars. All that happens, is that we are a struggling Championship side and get saddled with big name has beens, on massive wages. They usually don't care, or fall on the sick table.
This season, we have spent minimal on potential talent and concentrated on youth and team building.
What I have observed is a fitter/hungrier/bull dog outfit. We won't win anything, but may just surprise a few people.
Notts need to think along the same lines. No more Ben Burgess's/Smiths and look to the bigger picture.

Did you not just sign a 34 year old striker on a 3 year deal?

Speaking personally, I'm not expecting us to be signing the best players from leagues above on crazy wages, just some decent, reasonably well known players would be nice, players like Jon Stead, Alan Sheehan, Gary Liddle, Dean Leacock, Izale McLeod etc in the past (whether they all worked out or not) are the ones we shouldn't be thinking are completely out of our reach, the way QP goes on you'd think he was talking about us being Dagenham & Redbridge... Lewis Allessandra is the only player we've signed this season that would fit that bill imo. Dan Jones and Shaun Brisley too possibly but I'm not that familiar with Brisley tbh.

DomdomPie
01-08-2017, 03:03 PM

Speaking personally, I'm not expecting us to be signing the best players from leagues above on crazy wages, just some decent, reasonably well known players would be nice, players like Jon Stead, Alan Sheehan, Gary Liddle, Dean Leacock, Izale McLeod etc in the past (whether they all worked out or not) are the ones we shouldn't be thinking are completely out of our reach, the way QP goes on you'd think he was talking about us being Dagenham & Redbridge... Lewis Allessandra is the only player we've signed this season that would fit that bill imo. Dan Jones and Shaun Brisley too possibly but I'm not that familiar with Brisley tbh.

Jon Stead fits the bill of being a player like Jon Stead.

Trickytreesreds
01-08-2017, 03:14 PM

Yes we did DF, though my inkling is on the lines of, we may get one or two years tops out of him. The better contract, is probably the only reason he was willing to sign. I ask you to look at the rest of current squad. Apart from Vaughan, who signed 3 years ago, this is now a relatively young squad.
The youth conveyor belt is the key.
Home grown, hungry players who have all to prove. I don't want to see an ex England international here again.

LaughingMagpie
01-08-2017, 03:38 PM
As Bushwacka said, it's basically the same side that achieved play-off, and at times automatic promotion form between January and the end of the season, with Jones for Bola, who granted I would have loved back, but also Hawkridge for Yeates, Brisley for Hollis, and Allesandra for Campbell. And more competition for keepers. Oh, and a full pre-season behind them.
When you put it like that Woody I feel much better

BanjoPie
01-08-2017, 03:44 PM
when we are sitting in the top 3 of league 2 at xmas you will all have egg on your faces O:)

StagManStan
01-08-2017, 04:30 PM
from the outside looking in, I have not been impressed with your signings. I think that the 3 most recent signings are fillers. Clubs need strength in depth now more than ever because the loan option is not there between September and December. 2 or 3 injuries / red cards have the potential to really scupper a teams season now as a result, therefore summer recruitment is extremely important.

I think the reverse is true at Mansfield, I think we are stronger on paper than I have known since 2002. We'll have trouble keeping the squad harmony because some players may feel that they arent getting enough game time.

I think that KN will have Notts extremely well drilled and this makes some poor players look good, and ordinary players look brilliant. vice versa, a poorly organised team makes good players look poor.

I guess we'll know which sort of sides we both are come Christmas.

Just my opinion.

JoePass
01-08-2017, 04:38 PM
from the outside looking in, I have not been impressed with your signings. I think that the 3 most recent signings are fillers. Clubs need strength in depth now more than ever because the loan option is not there between September and December. 2 or 3 injuries / red cards have the potential to really scupper a teams season now as a result, therefore summer recruitment is extremely important.

I think the reverse is true at Mansfield, I think we are stronger on paper than I have known since 2002. We'll have trouble keeping the squad harmony because some players may feel that they arent getting enough game time.

I think that KN will have Notts extremely well drilled and this makes some poor players look good, and ordinary players look brilliant. vice versa, a poorly organised team makes good players look poor.

I guess we'll know which sort of sides we both are come Christmas.

Just my opinion.

My opinion is I am pleased Evans is your manager and Nolan is ours.

Notts78
01-08-2017, 04:40 PM
You are right about one thing... we will know by xmas what sort of seasons we have. O think the Stags have set themselves up for an expensive fall.

Jusy MY opionion

slack_pie
01-08-2017, 05:12 PM
Stags will finish above us. They have a better squad and a manager with a proven track record. There's no way they (or any other L2 club) would have signed the 3 we just did. Like someone mentioned previously, we need solid, proven L2/L1 players like Sheehan, Liddle or Bishop, but instead we just signed a trio who will almost certainly add nothing to the first team this season, if at all.

That said, I agree that Nolan will get the most out of the squad, and that we'll be better than the sum of our parts, but I doubt that'll be enough to push for the top 7. Mid-table at best, lower half more likely than top.

jackal2
01-08-2017, 05:57 PM

During the Trust years I was the first to criticise posters who complained about the club lacking ambition, because we all knew that the club could only spend what it could earn, and the Trust board didn't really try to pretend otherwise. Posters would frequently parrot that "You've got to speculate to accumulate" line, but when you asked them "What with?", they couldn't answer.

I think the frustration here comes from Alan Hardy saying he had increased the playing budget, and supposedly (not to mention ridiculously) bidding £100k for a player we were happy to release twelve months earlier. It has created an expectation that at least some decent money is there, and yet we've signed a six or seven bit-part players (and that's being generous!) when perhaps two or three really high quality recruits would have given us far more belief.

uysapie
01-08-2017, 07:47 PM
During the Trust years I was the first to criticise posters who complained about the club lacking ambition, because we all knew that the club could only spend what it could earn, and the Trust board didn't really try to pretend otherwise. Posters would frequently parrot that "You've got to speculate to accumulate" line, but when you asked them "What with?", they couldn't answer.

I think the frustration here comes from Alan Hardy saying he had increased the playing budget, and supposedly (not to mention ridiculously) bidding £100k for a player we were happy to release twelve months earlier. It has created an expectation that at least some decent money is there, and yet we've signed a six or seven bit-part players (and that's being generous!) when perhaps two or three really high quality recruits would have given us far more belief.

Back to quantity not quality.

countygump
01-08-2017, 08:04 PM

This ^^^

Elite_Pie
01-08-2017, 08:12 PM
Little jonny does actually raise an interesting question in his original post - does this squad look likely to score more goals than it concedes?

I can only answer 'no', which is why I've had a few quid on a bottom half finish.

JoePass
01-08-2017, 08:21 PM
Little jonny does actually raise an interesting question in his original post - does this squad look likely to score more goals than it concedes?

I can only answer 'no', which is why I've had a few quid on a bottom half finish.

Top half for me and I do not bet and give my money to bookies.

queenslandpie
01-08-2017, 08:26 PM

Well Delroy you can think that but at the end of the day I am sure you like me would be confident we can compete on the finances for these wow players but they certainly aren't coming. Why is that? Unlucky? All the time? Hmmm let's ponder that one shall we. When you are consistently under performing it doesn't go unnoticed. Hopefully we can drive up the league this season and attract some better talent next. Just having the same manager for 12 months would do me.

countygump
01-08-2017, 08:32 PM

John Thommo ain't convinced............

http://www.nottinghampost.com/sport/sport-opinion/notts-county-lack-x-factor-265373

Carlton_Pie
01-08-2017, 08:34 PM
In all fairness, I don't think there was a time under Ray Trew when we recruited as poorly as we have done this season. Sad to say but trew, sorry, true.

Some of you need to show KN the respect of at least seeing how his signings perform before writing him and them off.

What he managed last season was remarkable and seems to have been forgotten too quickly. The team is almost identical apart from losing Bola, Alessandra is a huge step up on Yeates and Brisley is better than Hollis and we have one of the best attacking midfielders in the division in Grant.

I for one will be heading to ML a week on Saturday optimistic that KN can turn out a fit, organised and disciplined team thats works together and has enough of a goal threat to win more than we lose.

Elite_Pie
01-08-2017, 08:48 PM
John Thommo ain't convinced............

http://www.nottinghampost.com/sport/sport-opinion/notts-county-lack-x-factor-265373

So he's saying we haven't managed to pull off the sort of Kasper Schmeichel / Lee Hughes signing we managed with the fake Munto cash. He's close to making Birtles and Burns look like incisive journalists!

legs77
01-08-2017, 08:59 PM
The issue for me is we do this all the time we've signed 5 players in the last 48 hours we would have been better off signing one top league two player if you shared wages out.

When the owner who did a great job last season is posting on twitter about wow signings he is setting himself up for a fall if he doesn't deliver them.

Hodge and Saunders yes they are young but nobody else wants them chances are they won't feature much and will be bombed out by "mutual consent" by Feb 2018 which is football speak for they are cr#p and we want rid !!

I'd take finishing 15th this season as lon as we can sort the finances out but I'd like us to get off to a good start just to get a nice cushion points wise ��

i961pie
01-08-2017, 09:09 PM
Top half for me and I do not bet and give my money to bookies.

No you just walk around with your blinkers on oblivious to the obvious the majority of the time.:P

queenslandpie
01-08-2017, 09:34 PM
So he's saying we haven't managed to pull off the sort of Kasper Schmeichel / Lee Hughes signing we managed with the fake Munto cash. He's close to making Birtles and Burns look like incisive journalists!

He also stated that Stead and Ameobi are a similar type of player. I lost interest at that point.

blue midget
01-08-2017, 09:34 PM
well i for one is more optimistic than most on here stags might have better
players but we have a better manager i'll dare bet we will finish in the top seven

nw6pie
01-08-2017, 09:57 PM
Other than the signing of Bird, who seems like a gamble worth taking assuming we see him as one for the future, the other four signings this week all smack of filling out the squad, not improving the side. And how Nicky Hunt - 34 in September - is going to make our defence more agile is a mystery worthy of Hercules Poirot. Indeed, these are not so much WOW signings as HOW?

Let's hope KN can make us stronger than the sum of our parts, because at the moment we look considerably weaker than the likes of Mansfield and Luton. Damn those high hopes of May!

PedroTheFisherman66
02-08-2017, 01:42 AM
As Bushwacka said, it's basically the same side that achieved play-off, and at times automatic promotion form between January and the end of the season, with Jones for Bola, who granted I would have loved back, but also Hawkridge for Yeates, Brisley for Hollis, and Allesandra for Campbell. And more competition for keepers. Oh, and a full pre-season behind them. That's why I can't join in with this toys out of the pram hissy fit - I'd say we've upgraded, maybe not spectacularly, but certainly solidly. And the window doesn't even shut until Aug 31.

I'd add that 'wow' signings rarely work out for Notts - Zoko, Haynes, McLeod to name but three in recent years.

nice one , a dose of reality agree with all of the above !!

drillerpie
02-08-2017, 02:25 AM
Nobody gave Bola or Grant a chance when we signed them on loan, couple of months later they were both seen as essential to the future prospects of the club.

Let's just have a look at the first 5 games shall we? Plenty of time to slag them all off after that if it doesn't work out.

keldsyke
02-08-2017, 06:35 AM
I think what a lot of these Armchair Munto assassins miss is a lot of successful teams are based on stability with few changes over a period of time. Wholesale changes haven't worked in the past, if KN sees a nucleus from what we had last year to build on then I'm happy with that and please let him get on with it.

Bohinen
02-08-2017, 08:41 AM
I think what a lot of these Armchair Munto assassins miss ...

I don't think there is anyone posting regularly on here who started supporting Notts during the Munto season. We are all long term sufferers.

Yes stability can be good, and Jimmy Sirrel believed in it. But when did he go out and hire half a dozen trialists on the off chance of one of them coming good? Nearly every signing worked for him. We only remember Ricky Green because he was one of his rare failures.

LaxtonLad
02-08-2017, 08:50 AM
Nobody gave Bola or Grant a chance when we signed them on loan, couple of months later they were both seen as essential to the future prospects of the club.

Let's just have a look at the first 5 games shall we? Plenty of time to slag them all off after that if it doesn't work out.

NOBODY gave them a chance? Have you just dreamt that one up?

drillerpie
02-08-2017, 08:54 AM
NOBODY gave them a chance? Have you just dreamt that one up?

Ok I'll word it differently, at the time there were a similar amount of complaints on here about failure of transfer policy and flaky young players not being what we need etc.

Old_pie
02-08-2017, 08:58 AM
I don't think there is anyone posting regularly on here who started supporting Notts during the Munto season. We are all long term sufferers.

Yes stability can be good, and Jimmy Sirrel believed in it. But when did he go out and hire half a dozen trialists on the off chance of one of them coming good? Nearly every signing worked for him. We only remember Ricky Green because he was one of his rare failures.

AH (16th May):

Alan Hardy‏Verified account @Bigalanh5 May 16

Alan Hardy Retweeted

It's about quality not quantity. We've made that mistake before. We have our targets and know WHO we want and WHY we want them! https://twitter.com

AH (2nd Aug):

Alan Hardy‏Verified account @Bigalanh5 3h3 hours ago

Alan Hardy Retweeted Rob Wilcox

You've heard of "Class of '92" haven't you (Becks, Nev's, Scholes, Butt), well watch this space for "Class of '2018". We have 8 ⭐️!! #future

You see, there is a plan, it went from Plan A to Plan B to Plan C.

marky
02-08-2017, 09:04 AM
I'm afraid the simple truth is that failing to attract quality players is a legacy of being about to spend a 3rd successive year in the pub league. After two bottom half finishes Notts County are now firmly established as a basement division club and are amongst the utter dregs of English Football. This is exactly why people have simply lost interest and moved on. The only way I see things changing is promotion or a cup run like Lincoln to galvanise more interest.

Bohinen
02-08-2017, 09:36 AM
AH (16th May):

Alan Hardy Retweeted

It's about quality not quantity. We've made that mistake before. We have our targets and know WHO we want and WHY we want them! https://twitter.com

AH (2nd Aug):

You've heard of "Class of '92" haven't you (Becks, Nev's, Scholes, Butt), well watch this space for "Class of '2018". We have 8 ⭐️!! #future

I found that Tweet bloody terrifying. Jesus, who is the new Scholes then? Hodge?

LaxtonLad
02-08-2017, 09:36 AM
Ok I'll word it differently, at the time there were a similar amount of complaints on here about failure of transfer policy and flaky young players not being what we need etc.

That's more like it.

The initial feelgood reaction to the chat from AH about new players making other clubs sit up and take notice of Notts County has all but evaporated. The WOW signings have just not materialised and to the average supporter who doesn't delve into the history and form of non-league and lower league players we have not made any signings of note, certainly no-one I've heard of but that means nothing.

Being supportive of KN's and AH's running of the club is one thing but blindly believing promises is another. Apart from the Forest game I have not been to one other pre-season match as there was nothing to encourage me to - un-named trialists? - move along there Laxton, nothing to see here.

Please AH, don't be surprised if there is a very low turn-out for the first game if we get bounced by Coventry.

jackal2
02-08-2017, 06:07 PM
AH (16th May):

Alan Hardy Retweeted

AH (2nd Aug):

Pretty damning!

I'm waiting to hear we've re-signed Mark Fotheringham after a five-minute trial! :rolleyes:

Redrag
02-08-2017, 06:11 PM
Regardless of who you do or don't sign, I hope that you have a successful season and some good and exciting football.

jackal2
02-08-2017, 06:12 PM
Regardless of who you do or don't sign, I hope that you have a successful season and some good and exciting football.

Thank you!

I hope your season ticket arrives! ;D

Trickytreesreds
02-08-2017, 06:25 PM
Thank you!

lol, nice one Basie

TedBovisPie
02-08-2017, 06:40 PM
Pretty damning!

I'm waiting to hear we've re-signed Mark Fotheringham after a five-minute trial! :rolleyes:

Well Freddy Adu is still looking for a club.

SmiffyPie
02-08-2017, 06:48 PM
lol, nice one BasieStop it!!

Redrag
02-08-2017, 06:52 PM
Thank you!

I don't have one. I won't be at the City Ground while the Greek's there.

wossie
02-08-2017, 07:45 PM
TBH I'm not on here a great deal, but what's all this about a "wow" signing?. We have so called "wow" signings in the past probably that's why we finished lower end of league 2. In my view our "wow" signing was Jorge Grant. I would rather have a team of grafters who give it 90% plus a game than 1 prima - donna who just turns it on for 1 game in every 8 or 9.
I think we will do OK even the play offs. As long as it's nothing like last season. One team I think will come a cropper is Mansfield. I'm not just saying that as a Notts fan their signings have not done anything to suggest that they should be favorites for automatic promotion.
A Notts V Mansfield play off final now that would wet my apatite

Trickytreesreds
02-08-2017, 08:27 PM
Stop it!!

come on Smiffy, give me a little play time. ;D

Trickytreesreds
02-08-2017, 08:28 PM

I'd get a ticket for that. All the hall marks of a ruck.

Though appetite would be better lol

LaughingMagpie
02-08-2017, 08:31 PM
TBH I'm not on here a great deal, but what's all this about a "wow" signing?. We have so called "wow" signings in the past probably that's why we finished lower end of league 2. In my view our "wow" signing was Jorge Grant. I would rather have a team of grafters who give it 90% plus a game than 1 prima - donna who just turns it on for 1 game in every 8 or 9.
I think we will do OK even the play offs. As long as it's nothing like last season. One team I think will come a cropper is Mansfield. I'm not just saying that as a Notts fan their signings have not done anything to suggest that they should be favorites for automatic promotion.
Wow signings were alluded to by Alan Hardy and have not materialised. That is why people are disappointed. We have probably signed some good players but AH has fallen into the trap of over promising but under delivering.

BigFatPie
02-08-2017, 08:36 PM

I'd get a ticket for that. All the hall marks of a ruck.

You're taking the piss out of someone for their spelling? LOLZ!

What next? Having a dig at someone else for talking shyte about a subject they nothing about?

JoePass
02-08-2017, 08:40 PM

What next? Having a dig at someone else for talking shyte about a subject they nothing about?

You spelt shyte wrong ;D

JoePass
02-08-2017, 08:42 PM

You missed the know out duck.

Trickytreesreds
02-08-2017, 09:05 PM

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh don't you just love him/her/sher lol

Classic

uysapie
02-08-2017, 10:23 PM

They should try spellchecker if they can't spell the word correctly.

Redrag
02-08-2017, 10:49 PM
a notts v mansfield play off final now that would wet my apatite

i'd get a ticket for that. All the hall marks of a ruck.

w-h-e-t!

Wooderson
23-09-2017, 10:01 PM
B)

Wooderson
26-09-2017, 08:56 PM

Already got 20 XDXDXD

The_Don_ORiordan
26-09-2017, 08:58 PM
Classic jonnyt