PDA

View Full Version : Hodge and Hunt

marshall55
01-08-2017, 06:26 PM
both signed, getting silly now, is Branston back.

kill_the_drum
01-08-2017, 06:27 PM

What's getting silly?

BigFatPie
01-08-2017, 06:31 PM
Steve Hodge's son? Bloody ell is Brooklyn Beckham any good, he'll be the next one signed up.

marshall55
01-08-2017, 06:38 PM
What's getting silly?

One as been and one never will be, whats the bloody point.

DomdomPie
01-08-2017, 06:39 PM
I can understand Hunt. Experienced backup right-back. Makes sense as Hewitt's shown it's not his best position.

Hodge.... no idea!

roweyp
01-08-2017, 07:09 PM
Give them a chance, who knows they might be decent in the end. As much as I am very critical of players in do at least give them the chance to prove themselves before I give them grief

countygump
01-08-2017, 07:15 PM

2 new "wow" signings, ay?

What a load of Hodge and Hunt. Still, no good changing the system now. Let's sign a load of she1te and get on with it.

uysapie
01-08-2017, 07:46 PM
2 new "wow" signings, ay?

What a load of Hodge and Hunt. Still, no good changing the system now. Let's sign a load of she1te and get on with it.

Quantity again.

DaveSmithRules
01-08-2017, 07:48 PM
One can only hope these last five signings are on short-term contracts (ie til Xmas) until they either play out of their skin or we find better.

JoePass
01-08-2017, 07:52 PM
One can only hope these last five signings are on short-term contracts (ie til Xmas) until they either play out of their skin or we find better.8

I am just a fan, the manager knows what he wants, that's fine by me. Unless you are a wannabe manager.

countygump
01-08-2017, 07:57 PM
One can only hope these last five signings are on short-term contracts (ie til Xmas) until they either play out of their skin or we find better.

Crewe ***** seem to think Saunders got a 1 year deal.

As announced on their official site yesterday evening, Notts County have announced the signing of former Crewe Alexandra forward Callum Saunders following a trial at the club on a one-year deal.

Elite_Pie
01-08-2017, 08:07 PM

Probably all five are on low wage maximum one year contracts, which brings us back to the 'quality over quantity' argument. Though they add numbers to the squad, you have wonder what part any of them will play in the first team. If only a couple of them make a worthwhile contribution it will be a decent move, but I can't help but think that two players of better quality would have been preferable.

Bohinen
01-08-2017, 08:28 PM
Jake Wright is on trial and has scored for Notts against Ilkeston tonight. Given that no-one ever fails a trial, you can add him to the list. In fairness, he might be OK, though he is 31 now.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jake_Wright

Or is it a different Jake Wright? I saw a picture against Carlton in which he looks about 17 years old. Confused now.

Notts County will continue to look at Sheffield United striker Jake Wright providing the Blades striker hasn’t broken his hand.

Jesus, how can Sheffield United have two players called Jake Wright?

http://www.nottinghampost.com/sport/football/notts-county-v-carlton-town-252953

countygump
01-08-2017, 08:35 PM
Jake Wright is on trial and has scored for Notts against Ilkeston tonight. Given that no-one ever fails a trial, you can add him to the list. In fairness, he might be OK, though he is 31 now.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jake_Wright

How big is our squad now?

BigFatPie
01-08-2017, 08:38 PM
Haha no one fails a trial. Hodge has been at Lincoln for the last 2 years and couldn't get a game in the league below so clearly quality.

I feel all of a sudden that someone is taking the raving piss. #championship.

uysapie
01-08-2017, 10:06 PM
I can understand Hunt. Experienced backup right-back. Makes sense as Hewitt's shown it's not his best position.

Hodge.... no idea!

Old pals act with Hunt?

jackal2
01-08-2017, 11:07 PM

I am just a fan, the manager knows what he wants, that's fine by me. Unless you are a wannabe manager.

We've had a long line of managers who knew what they wanted, and most of them got it. Didn't do us any good though.

If there's a moral to the story of recent years, it's that managers should not always be given what they want without question (or chief scouts for that matter). These so-called experts have not moved us forward at all.

Signing Elliott Hodge is just ridiculous. After Nolan's comments about finding it really difficult to release players earlier in the summer, I'm beginning to fear this manager is too nice.

SolSigns
01-08-2017, 11:51 PM
If there's a moral to the story of recent years, it's that managers should not always be given what they want without question (or chief scouts for that matter). These so-called experts have not moved us forward at all.

If there's a moral to the story, then it's find and retain a manager who is good at spotting and developing players (and motivating and organising them too!) - an 'expert' capable of moving us forward.

It's possible that we have just such a man in place - all this worryworting and 'serious doubts' are just blindly second-guessing KN until we see how his Notts perform.

PedroTheFisherman66
02-08-2017, 04:30 AM
We've had a long line of managers who knew what they wanted, and most of them got it. Didn't do us any good though.

Signing Elliott Hodge is just ridiculous. After Nolan's comments about finding it really difficult to release players earlier in the summer, I'm beginning to fear this manager is too nice.

why the fear Jackal .
this is the manager that took over a team that was nose diving at 100 mph into the conference and turned them into a top six form league team.
I think it shows he can organise a team and improve players who are poor on confidence and possibly ability
Just maybe he can spot a decent player to ?

DomdomPie
02-08-2017, 06:11 AM
why the fear Jackal .
this is the manager that took over a team that was nose diving at 100 mph into the conference and turned them into a top six form league team.
I think it shows he can organise a team and improve players who are poor on confidence and possibly ability

It seems like we're essentially putting together an U-21/reserve team with the belief we can develop them into future 1st teamers.

Nice idea if true, but recent attempts at this haven't worked in the slightest.

Frigiliana Pie 1
02-08-2017, 06:25 AM
It seems like we're essentially putting together an U-21/reserve team with the belief we can develop them into future 1st teamers.

I agree that we haven't succeeded so far, but by doing this and developing our own young players are the only way Notts will ever be successful. There is never likely to be enough money for the other route - signing star players for big money.

So we have to keep trying to develop and improve players. Let's hope KN has picked the right raw material.

Proudpie
02-08-2017, 06:48 AM

Almost speechless.

My feel good factor from surviving relegation and all the positive vibes from AH and KN have all but gone.

And Yes, I will still be at Coventry.

Big Bob
02-08-2017, 07:27 AM
Same sh1t, different day

The-Mac pie
02-08-2017, 07:43 AM
Wow
There's just too many who have plotted Notts county and there downfall.
Crickey.
Give these players a chance.
A few preseason games and a decision has been made on these players that they are crap.
Maybe they are,but give them a chance ffs.
A short term contract,prove yourself,or off you go is the way I see those signings.
If one player turns out to be a gem then well spotted gaffer.
If not try again.
After all......Rome "was" built in a day !!

Mapperleypie
02-08-2017, 08:06 AM
By the way KN turned around the nosedive into the conference last season he has earned his chance to build a squad.

If it fails he will not last until the New Year. The sure fire way to get sacked is to spend the chairmans money unwisely.

LaughingMagpie
02-08-2017, 08:09 AM
Spot a decent player to what? 😂

Bohinen
02-08-2017, 09:44 AM

Yes, and we're doing it with the same players. Well, Hodge, who we have already given a chance to and released on the basis he wasn't good enough. Then we have him on trial, and he didn't impress (according to those who watched him) so we give him a contract along with Saunders who Crewe released because he wasn't good enough. And this is the new Class of '92. I'm sorry, but this has become delusional.

wiseoldmagpie
02-08-2017, 09:54 AM
Yes, and we're doing it with the same players. Well, Hodge, who we have already given a chance to and released on the basis he wasn't good enough. Then we have him on trial, and he didn't impress (according to those who watched him) so we give him a contract along with Saunders who Crewe released because he wasn't good enough. And this is the new Class of '92. I'm sorry, but this has become delusional.

I am an optimist so feel free to dismiss the following if it doesn't fit with your views, but I was impressed with Saunders at York - his movement was very good. I went with my AFC Wimbledon supporting mate who was similarly impressed. It is too early to write off any of the new signings just yet, let us give them and KN a chance eh?

slack_pie
02-08-2017, 11:20 AM
Hodge is clearly cheap backup for the first team, along with the previous 3. While it's important to have a squad big enough to cover injuries and suspensions, I'd sooner get 2 or 3 proven lower-league battlers in than a bunch of inexperienced kids (not talking about Hunt, obviously). Notts rarely do well with marquee signings - Agana, Caskey, Haynes and McCleod were a massive waste of resources - but we should be aiming higher than youngsters deemed not good enough for our rivals.

countygump
02-08-2017, 12:04 PM
Hodge is clearly cheap backup for the first team, along with the previous 3. While it's important to have a squad big enough to cover injuries and suspensions, I'd sooner get 2 or 3 proven lower-league battlers in than a bunch of inexperienced kids (not talking about Hunt, obviously). Notts rarely do well with marquee signings - Agana, Caskey, Haynes and McCleod were a massive waste of resources - but we should be aiming higher than youngsters deemed not good enough for our rivals.

Anyone feel that a lot of the last 5 recruitments have a lot to do with Al's purchase of Ilson? Get raw kids who you feel have potential, put them in a lower league setting where at least they will get competitive footy, to either improve themselves or not?

SmiffyPie
02-08-2017, 12:23 PM
Anyone feel that a lot of the last 5 recruitments have a lot to do with Al's purchase of Ilson? Get raw kids who you feel have potential, put them in a lower league setting where at least they will get competitive footy, to either improve themselves or not?Just said as much on FB.

Bohinen
02-08-2017, 12:26 PM
Anyone feel that a lot of the last 5 recruitments have a lot to do with Al's purchase of Ilson? Get raw kids who you feel have potential, put them in a lower league setting where at least they will get competitive footy, to either improve themselves or not?

Yes, that's probably right, but we shouldn't be a feeder club for Ilkeston, who seem to have snaffled a chunk of our budget. As for comparing them to the class of '92, he's taking the piss. I suppose we're not supposed to take it seriously, but he could at least try to make us suspend disbelief. The worst of it is, some people are so blinded by loyalty, they will trust him on this.

LaxtonLad
02-08-2017, 12:29 PM

The four players you are referring to as backup for the first team are exactly that, i.e. not brought in to play in the first team unless injuries dictate otherwise. This would mean then that Nolan has had to be satisfied with the first team players he already has because he has failed to attract other clubs' better players. Welcome to the realities of the lower half of League Two, Kevin and Alan.

pedrolane
02-08-2017, 01:29 PM
Hodge couldn't get a look in at Lincoln, loaned to Stamford and couldn't get in at Telford last season. Also released by us 4 years ago. This looks like a total waste of a small wage.

queenslandpie
02-08-2017, 01:48 PM
Hodge couldn't get a look in at Lincoln, loaned to Stamford and couldn't get in at Telford last season. Also released by us 4 years ago. This looks like a total waste of a small wage.

Or just a little bit of the wage bill that otherwise wouldn't have been used. He;ll be on not a lot and was probably signed as cover. He's reserve level currently but better than nothing. Although you would probably complain about nothing as well.

pedrolane
02-08-2017, 04:19 PM
The point I was trying to make Queensland is that he wasn't good enough years ago, wasn't that good in non league and not shown much while on trial. Wouldn't we be better promoting youngsters like Howes, Dunn etc rather than Hodge. Seems like an old pals act to me.

Bridg4d_Pie_
02-08-2017, 05:01 PM

Not as silly as you. 😉

Bridg4d_Pie_
02-08-2017, 05:09 PM
I agree that we haven't succeeded so far, but by doing this and developing our own young players are the only way Notts will ever be successful. There is never likely to be enough money for the other route - signing star players for big money.

So we have to keep trying to develop and improve players. Let's hope KN has picked the right raw material.

Spot on l could not agree with you more.

Bridg4d_Pie_
02-08-2017, 05:10 PM

Joe and there are plenty of Wannabe Know F00k All on this board.

BigFatPie
02-08-2017, 05:12 PM

How many times have the "know f00k alls" complaining about Notts summer signings been wrong in the last few years?

Old_pie
02-08-2017, 05:16 PM

Recent (or even longer than that) history shows that the Wannabe Know F00k Alls would probably not fare much worse than those paid to make the good decisions.

How many times has it been blatantly obvious to many on here what eventually took the Know It Alls months to work out or even lose their job before they did?

Until I see and hear more sense from out there I'll pay attention to what's said on here.

JoePass
02-08-2017, 05:44 PM
Recent (or even longer than that) history shows that the Wannabe Know F00k Alls would probably not fare much worse than those paid to make the good decisions.

How many times has it been blatantly obvious to many on here what eventually took the Know It Alls months to work out or even lose their job before they did?

Until I see and hear more sense from out there I'll pay attention to what's said on here.

It makes me laugh when all the professional coaches and ex-managers on here slag off our new players before they have kicked a ball in anger in the league. Jesus wept, I thought it was women that moaned all the time.

LaxtonLad
02-08-2017, 05:59 PM

Nice one Oldpie, I'm with you on this one.

jackal2
02-08-2017, 06:03 PM
It makes me laugh when all the professional coaches and ex-managers on here slag off our new players before they have kicked a ball in anger in the league. Jesus wept, I thought it was women that moaned all the time.

You've gotta love JoePass' unswerving faith!

As General Melchett says in Blackadder IV: "If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through!" :p

JoePass
02-08-2017, 06:04 PM
As General Melchett says in Blackadder IV: "If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through!" :p

Never watched Blackadder duck.

jackal2
02-08-2017, 06:10 PM
Never watched Blackadder duck.

IMO the original Blackadder was rubbish, but series two, three and four were full of good one liners. I'm not always one to credit leftish comedians, but it improved no end when Ben Elton joined the writing team.

Anyway, I digress! ;)

LaxtonLad
02-08-2017, 06:48 PM

You're not moaning about the moaners though, are you? You're laughing and Jesus is weeping.

Old_pie
02-08-2017, 06:54 PM
You've gotta love JoePass' unswerving faith!

Faith is sometimes the only thing left. In all my years of following and supporting this club we've only had one spell of progressive improvement and that coincided with my time overseas. I even missed the 4-1 over Tranmere in '73 'cause I was expected at a wedding (mine!).

But reality is that a large dose of cynicism is the correct call most seasons and I'm applying it again despite all the bluster from our owner who's like a kid at a party picking up sweets that have dropped on the floor and missing the cake on the table.

I'd love to be proved wrong, I'd love Soccerman's faith for once to be rewarded.

PedroTheFisherman66
02-08-2017, 10:55 PM
Spot a decent player to what? ��

oh dear , I forgat thet thi5 waz a spelinge ande grammer syte !..../

SwalePie
02-08-2017, 11:35 PM
IMO the original Blackadder was rubbish, but series two, three and four were full of good one liners. I'm not always one to credit leftish comedians, but it improved no end when Ben Elton joined the writing team.

Anyway, I digress! ;)

Agreed!

PedroTheFisherman66
03-08-2017, 12:44 AM
Spot a decent player to what? ��

oh and I nearly forgot to LM
I'm no pancake expert, but I know a To55er when I see one ;-0

roweyp
03-08-2017, 07:04 AM
Or just a little bit of the wage bill that otherwise wouldn't have been used. He;ll be on not a lot and was probably signed as cover. He's reserve level currently but better than nothing. Although you would probably complain about nothing as well.

What everyone is missing is that week have coaching staff and a manager. There is the small possibility that they can improve a player and get the best out of him. These lads know this is their last chance to make a career in the game it's a small gamble but through better coaching and a better desire to learn someone may make the breakthrough.