PDA

View Full Version : Playing Budget Used For Ilson' Purchase???

pravda_plc
02-08-2017, 06:26 PM
No 'WOW' factor signings. The Noble deal cash not spent. These are points raised on other posts. I'm still at a loss as to Hardy's motivation in buying Ilkeston Town FC. Is it just another ego trip? Look at me, I own 2 football clubs!

The ground belongs to Erewash Borough Council and the club have no obvious saleable assets, so what's in it for Hardy and more importantly what did he pay to acquire it? Trew allegedly acquired Notts for a quid, so IMO Hardy can't have paid a deal for a bankrupt, small time non-league club.

I guess he's got a possible training ground on the cheap and we could send out a lot of our kids and newly purchased squad fillers to play at Ilson' . For me, i'd rather he'd concentrated on Notts and spent the available cash on some better quality signings.

HAPPYMAGPIEHAPPY
02-08-2017, 06:30 PM
I think looking at what's been spent on Notts new signings I think he's content with us spending more time in league two.
Money spent tiling the tunnel, upgrading the changing rooms, 100k on the pitch, and a new indoor five a side pitch but a minimal amount on the playing staff !

pravda_plc
02-08-2017, 06:36 PM
Good point.

I think for all of Hardy and Nolan's enthusiasm, they are both inexperienced in the transfer market and have clearly failed with two of their first choice targets: Liam Noble and Andy Cook.

The Ilson' acquisition and the setting up of another women's team worry me because we don't have a lot of dosh and it needs IMO to be spent on the bread and butter of the football club i.e NCFC's first team squad

countygump
02-08-2017, 07:08 PM
No 'WOW' factor signings. The Noble deal cash not spent. These are points raised on other posts. I'm still at a loss as to Hardy's motivation in buying Ilkeston Town FC. Is it just another ego trip? Look at me, I own 2 football clubs!

The ground belongs to Erewash Borough Council and the club have no obvious saleable assets, so what's in it for Hardy and more importantly what did he pay to acquire it? Trew allegedly acquired Notts for a quid, so IMO Hardy can't have paid a deal for a bankrupt, small time non-league club.

I guess he's got a possible training ground on the cheap and we could send out a lot of our kids and newly purchased squad fillers to play at Ilson' . For me, i'd rather he'd concentrated on Notts and spent the available cash on some better quality signings.

Al said "A six figure sum" on his Radio Derby interview. Meh.............

Old_pie
02-08-2017, 07:14 PM
Good point.

I think for all of Hardy and Nolan's enthusiasm, they are both inexperienced in the transfer market and have clearly failed with two of their first choice targets: Liam Noble and Andy Cook.

The Ilson' acquisition and the setting up of another women's team worry me because we don't have a lot of dosh and it needs IMO to be spent on the bread and butter of the football club i.e NCFC's first team squad

I (and you) have no idea of how much AH has or is able to raise. However Ilkeston was the team he supported as a youngster, see http://www.nottinghampost.com/sport/sport-opinion/its-been-absolute-whirlwind-says-249222

He clearly sees himself as some champion of grass-roots level football and runs/supports junior football (Lowdham Colts?) as well as encouraging women's football.

I seem to recall that a figure of £15k was mentioned for Ilkeston but maybe that was just debts, though he may have had to clear some of them.

They'll learn that there isn't a queue to come here - it's not like interviewing staff for a business. Clearly re-signing Shola was a powerful statement and maybe they thought others would follow especially given the playing success in the second half of the season.

I'm more disappointed with the continual spin being put on the club, and perhaps the latest spate of signings, rather than what actually has happened.

If he had simply stuck (and he or KN did say it once) to sensible consolidation and see where they were at by Christmas I'd be less critical. But now, having given up quality for quantity we also have the Class of 2018. Wow.

countygump
02-08-2017, 07:15 PM
1 min 17 secs in.............

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p05969b6

countygump
02-08-2017, 07:16 PM
I (and you) have no idea of how much AH has or is able to raise. However Ilkeston was the team he supported as a youngster, see http://www.nottinghampost.com/sport/sport-opinion/its-been-absolute-whirlwind-says-249222

He clearly sees himself as some champion of grass-roots level football and runs/supports junior football (Lowdham Colts?) as well as encouraging women's football.

I seem to recall that a figure of £15k was mentioned for Ilkeston but maybe that was just debts, though he may have had to clear some of them.

They'll learn that there isn't a queue to come here - it's not like interviewing staff for a business. Clearly re-signing Shola was a powerful statement and maybe they thought others would follow especially given the playing success in the second half of the season.

I'm more disappointed with the continual spin being put on the club, and perhaps the latest spate of signings, rather than what actually has happened.

If he had simply stuck (and he or KN did say it once) to sensible consolidation and see where they were at by Christmas I'd be less critical. But now, having given up quality for quantity we also have the Class of 2018. Wow.

No, Al supported Eastwood, sorry Aystewood.

optipez
02-08-2017, 08:26 PM
If we end up owning a training ground with a youth / feeder set up for a six figure sum, as long as the asset is owned by the club I would say it's a good long term investment.
I understand we don't own the land , but even so Ilkestons set up isn't bad and I believe they have a big field across the road from the ground as well which used to be used by Ilkeston junior teams.
We've been nomads for years and years and a proper training ground has to be a good thing.
Agree that the close season recruitment looks ropey but it has for every year bar Munto and Martin Allen's only pre season for at least a decade.

Having said that , when we leased Arnold's ground giving us a pretty decent set up we promptly got relegated.

irishpete
02-08-2017, 08:54 PM
Think the Spin Dr will sell Notts on,taken on more than he can chew &, concentrate on Ilson,where his "grass roots" philosophy may work.

jackal2
02-08-2017, 09:00 PM
If we end up owning a training ground with a youth / feeder set up for a six figure sum, as long as the asset is owned by the club I would say it's a good long term investment.
I understand we don't own the land , but even so Ilkestons set up isn't bad and I believe they have a big field across the road from the ground as well which used to be used by Ilkeston junior teams.
We've been nomads for years and years and a proper training ground has to be a good thing.

Yes, I think this is the most likely explanation. It had better be, otherwise it would make no sense at all. I know Alan Hardy undoubtedly does like his share of the limelight, but I don't think this would just be an ego trip with the Noble money. Probably a combination of showing commitment to grass roots football while also acquiring a useful asset for Notts at the same time, at relatively decent value.

SwalePie
02-08-2017, 09:36 PM
I'm puzzled. Why are some people already turning on Alan Hardy before a ball has even been kicked in anger? [Serious question]

Elite_Pie
02-08-2017, 09:53 PM
I'm puzzled. Why are some people already turning on Alan Hardy before a ball has even been kicked in anger? [Serious question]

Because Alan Hardy made a host of cast iron and legally binding promises that we would be signing a team of world beaters that would make everyone frequently utter the word 'WOW'. [Not a serious answer]

Because we're Notts fans, it's what we do. [Serious answer]

uysapie
02-08-2017, 10:20 PM

Because of promised "wow" signings and a failure to deliver.

jackal2
02-08-2017, 10:26 PM

I don't think fans are "turning" on Alan Hardy, I think they just fear we're seeing a repeat of mistakes made under previous owners in terms communication and recruitment, and that frustration is heightened because they didn't expect it under the new owner.

That said, you make a fair point. A lot of us could be wrong and this may yet prove to be a great season, in which case he and Nolan will be entirely justified. Time for the speculation to end and the reality to begin!

SwalePie
02-08-2017, 11:29 PM
Because Alan Hardy made a host of cast iron and legally binding promises that we would be signing a team of world beaters that would make everyone frequently utter the word 'WOW'. [Not a serious answer]

Because we're Notts fans, it's what we do. [Serious answer]

Sounds about right. So it's just the 'wow' thing then? To be honest I don't take twitter that seriously. Let's hope it's all just a storm in an Official Notts County Teacup

DelroyFacey22
03-08-2017, 08:04 AM
I didn't expect world beaters but I did expect a few more players of the quality of Allessandra, which isn't a crazy expectation, some Notts fans weren't even happy with him being signed! The last 5 or 6 signings are all squad fillers, which is fine, you need them, but we still need improvements in the first team imo.

Old_pie
03-08-2017, 08:08 AM
Sounds about right. So it's just the 'wow' thing then? To be honest I don't take twitter that seriously. Let's hope it's all just a storm in an Official Notts County Teacup

So you don't go with AH on the new young signings being the "Class of 2018" (said in conjunction with the Class of '92) because he said it on Twitter?

marky
03-08-2017, 09:02 AM
Hardy really needs to get off twitter, it isn't helping things and his posts and comments are setting him up for a fall, this was what Ray Trew did as well.

pravda_plc
03-08-2017, 11:03 AM

Swale, as instigator of this thread I want to be clear that I am not having a poke at Hardy, ( yet!).

I find him hugely entertaining and frustrating in equal measures - unlike Ray Trew who was dull as dishwater and incompetent to boot. Some of Hardy's social media antics are great to read but he clearly doesn't know when to shut the f**k up. If I had his kind of money I would probably be the same.

Both Hardy and Nolan are relative novices in the transfer market, so it will be very interesting to see how the latest crop of QUOTE: " squad fillers", "has-beens" and "no-hopers" fare. I think we will have a better idea come 5.00 p.m. on Saturday...

COYP !!!

DomdomPie
03-08-2017, 11:11 AM
Both Hardy and Nolan are relative novices in the transfer market, so it will be very interesting to see how the latest crop of QUOTE: " squad fillers", "has-beens" and "no-hopers" fare. I think we will have a better idea come 5.00 p.m. on Saturday...
COYP !!!

I can't imagine many of the "squad filler" players will play on Saturday.

That's the trouble - the starting 11 virtually picks itself with this squad.

pravda_plc
03-08-2017, 11:13 AM
Agreed but I think a few might well make the bench.

Callum Saunders, (an unlikely impact sub), with the winner in the 90th minute...

:)

queenslandpie
03-08-2017, 11:49 AM
Swale, as instigator of this thread I want to be clear that I am not having a poke at Hardy, ( yet!).

I find him hugely entertaining and frustrating in equal measures - unlike Ray Trew who was dull as dishwater and incompetent to boot. Some of Hardy's social media antics are great to read but he clearly doesn't know when to shut the f**k up. If I had his kind of money I would probably be the same.

COYP !!!

I don't but we will by christmas. When all our OAP's are injured.

Oldstripy
03-08-2017, 12:13 PM
I can't imagine many of the "squad filler" players will play on Saturday.

That's the trouble - the starting 11 virtually picks itself with this squad.

Please enlighten the rest of us and name the starting line up

Agreed but I think a few might well make the bench.

Callum Saunders, (an unlikely impact sub), with the winner in the 90th minute...

:)

Did you go to Basford Tuesday evening for the game against Ilkeston, Saunders scored 2 good goals.

The first half was very entertaining, I said to my sister when watching town warm up that I thought town would win because they looked bigger and stronger than our kids.

How wrong I was, I've not seen a Notts team with so much pace for a long time, all of them were too quick for the town players, Sam Osbourne terrorised their right back he must have been relived when he did not appear in the second half.

If those young players continue to progress we will have some very good players to watch in a couple of years.

countygump
03-08-2017, 12:23 PM
Aystewood Al does a turn on the Mike Rophone.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40813916

And Los nombres de la squad.

https://www.nottscountyfc.co.uk/news/2017/august/squad-numbers-announcement/

31 palyers???

MAD_MAGPIE
03-08-2017, 12:29 PM
I think the Wow signings is what may have caused the problem here. It's raised peoples expectations and ultimately with whom we have signed appears to have left some people underwhelmed.

This may work in the clubs favour in that there appears to be little or no pressure or expectation on this squad. Unlike up the A60 where I get the impression that if they don't hit the ground running then fans will be quick to turn.

We know from the second part of last season that KN appears to be good at making the total sum of all the parts better than the individuals. If he can maintain the consistency over a full season then a mid table with a sniff of the play-offs could be possible. Who knows?

Let's look at reality in that the club was/is losing £1.6m a year, and in turmoil and looking like going out of the football league with a whimper at Christmas after a number of years going backwards and declining. This is not sustainable. Now for fans it's not palatable to say during a close season look guys we'll probably have to be shrewd with our signings and budget to try and consolidate and stabilise the club this season and put infrastructure in place that any professional football league club should have.

I can understand peoples arguments saying yes but we have spent money on the pitch, the owner has brought a local non-league club and renovated the changing rooms which is a bit like what Mr Trew did with the executive boxes and conference and banqueting suites, but to progress we need to have the best facilities and infrastructure in place. We need the best pitch possible, and it's criminal that as a league club we have not had a proper training ground to call our own for some years.

It might require patience which fans do not have as we all want instant success. Maybe a season of mid table mediocrity with a shout of play-offs could be the best progress we can hope for this year? But then again maybe this squad will surprise many.

jacobncfc
03-08-2017, 12:47 PM
This constant 'Noble money' complaint is really weird. People do know that isn't how transfers work... right?

Just because we offered £100k for one particular player doesn't mean that we are legally bound to sign someone for a £100k fee for this summer. Maybe we used it to pay Forest a loan fee to secure Grant? Or to offer Brisley the wages needed to rip up his Carlisle contract and relocate? Or maybe we decided that there isn't a player out there who we can realistically sign for £100k and believe is worth it?

DelroyFacey22
03-08-2017, 12:47 PM
I'm not even sure the "wow signings" thing is that big a part of it but it certainly doesn't help.

I think the main problem is the fact that we retained so much of last seasons squad that performed woefully for the majority of the season (and fans won't forget that) regardless of how Nolan kept us up with them in the end.

After retaining so much of last seasons squad the players that we bring in on top of those should have been improvements, not back ups to the players that spent half the season breaking records for being sh*t.

Edit: And Jacob, I thought the people complaining at the thought of signing Noble for 100k said there was a long list of players that we could get for that kind of money instead of him? ;D

jacobncfc
03-08-2017, 12:49 PM
I'm not even sure the "wow signings" thing is that big a part of it but it certainly doesn't help.

I think the main problem is the fact that we retained so much of last seasons squad that performed woefully for the majority of the season (and fans won't forget that) regardless of how Nolan kept us up with them in the end.

After retaining so much of last seasons squad the players that we bring in on top of those should have been improvements, not back ups to the players that spent half the season breaking records for being sh*t.

They didn't perform woefully for the majority of the season, though. That's statistically just complete *******s.

ancientpie
03-08-2017, 12:49 PM
I think the Wow signings is what may have caused the problem here. It's raised peoples expectations and ultimately with whom we have signed appears to have left some people underwhelmed.

This may work in the clubs favour in that there appears to be little or no pressure or expectation on this squad. Unlike up the A60 where I get the impression that if they don't hit the ground running then fans will be quick to turn.

We know from the second part of last season that KN appears to be good at making the total sum of all the parts better than the individuals. If he can maintain the consistency over a full season then a mid table with a sniff of the play-offs could be possible. Who knows?

Let's look at reality in that the club was/is losing £1.6m a year, and in turmoil and looking like going out of the football league with a whimper at Christmas after a number of years going backwards and declining. This is not sustainable. Now for fans it's not palatable to say during a close season look guys we'll probably have to be shrewd with our signings and budget to try and consolidate and stabilise the club this season and put infrastructure in place that any professional football league club should have.

I can understand peoples arguments saying yes but we have spent money on the pitch, the owner has brought a local non-league club and renovated the changing rooms which is a bit like what Mr Trew did with the executive boxes and conference and banqueting suites, but to progress we need to have the best facilities and infrastructure in place. We need the best pitch possible, and it's criminal that as a league club we have not had a proper training ground to call our own for some years.

It might require patience which fans do not have as we all want instant success. Maybe a season of mid table mediocrity with a shout of play-offs could be the best progress we can hope for this year? But then again maybe this squad will surprise many.

After the last few seasons I think that most of us would have happily accepted that if only Alan hadn't gone shouting his mouth off on twitter. I accept that it is his job to "rally the fans" & sell STs but coming so soon after last owner doing similar things it has upset some & I only hope that we get off to a reasonable start so the fans back AH & KN like they did last season, at the moment I think it could go either way & at the end of the day it's what happens on the pitch that matters, bring on Coventry COYP.

DomdomPie
03-08-2017, 12:57 PM
Please enlighten the rest of us and name the starting line up

Ha-ha! I suspected someone would call me out!

I'd say that these players are very likely to start: Collin, Tootle, Jones, Duffy, Brisley, Milson, Grant, Alessandra, one or both of Stead/Ameobi.

That leaves 1 or 2 places up for grabs, but I'd be surprised if too many of the above are left out. Happy to be proven wrong if Nolan goes with a different team and we win!

DelroyFacey22
03-08-2017, 01:01 PM
They didn't perform woefully for the majority of the season, though. That's statistically just complete *******s.

Notts County 0-0 Mansfield, Nolan's first game in charge, was our 34th game of the season, we played 54 games in total last season. Obviously we weren't "woeful" in every one of the 33 games before Nolan but overall you'd have to say that we had performed woefully up until that point and fully deserved to be where we were in the league (and we were out of all cup competitions).

uysapie
03-08-2017, 01:03 PM
After the last few seasons I think that most of us would have happily accepted that if only Alan hadn't gone shouting his mouth off on twitter. I accept that it is his job to "rally the fans" & sell STs but coming so soon after last owner doing similar things it has upset some & I only hope that we get off to a reasonable start so the fans back AH & KN like they did last season, at the moment I think it could go either way & at the end of the day it's what happens on the pitch that matters, bring on Coventry COYP.

That is the crux of the matter. He should have said that this was to be a season of consolidation.

jacobncfc
03-08-2017, 01:23 PM
Notts County 0-0 Mansfield, Nolan's first game in charge, was our 34th game of the season, we played 54 games in total last season. Obviously we weren't "woeful" in every one of the 33 games before Nolan but overall you'd have to say that we had performed woefully up until that point and fully deserved to be where we were in the league (and we were out of all cup competitions).

I still think it's misleading, though, because we had that ten game spell where we were as bad as I've ever seen a football team be. The games before we entered that run, we won at Portsmouth and drew with Luton and were on the edge of the automatic promotion places.

Whether that run of defeats was a fair reflection of the team's ability or a result of outside factors such as the owner trying to sell, not being paid and having nowhere to train is something to argue about - but the fact that we reverted to play-off form once those things were solved suggests to me that it was the first.

I'd actually view keeping the majority of last season's team together as a positive. Hardy's comments about wow signings were stupid and unhelpful, but I like to step back and take a rational look at things - we've kept together the core of a team that showed play-off form for three quarters of last season, strengthened the obvious weak areas (a central defensive partner for Duffy and the wide positions) with players proven at this level and still have the manager who did so well with them.

It's not been perfect - we're probably a central midfielder and striker short of what i'd ideally have wanted and the spree of back up signings strikes me as largely pointless - but I find it hard to see how the summer's work can be viewed as anything but mostly positive.

Old_pie
03-08-2017, 01:54 PM
31 palyers???

That sounds about right, whatever they are! (Male milkmaids, sponge bucket carriers?)

DelroyFacey22
03-08-2017, 02:47 PM
@Jacob

It probably is slightly misleading but I'd say it's probably the view of a lot of Notts fans whether it's right or wrong, it's why a lot of people will say Duffy isn't good enough despite him barely putting a foot wrong since Nolan came in.

I also said after the Wigan game I think we're a CM and a striker short (and a CB or two but we've sinced signed Brisley). I've also said previously that keeping a lot from last season might actually help us out too, maybe I've contradicted myself and I am actually just annoyed at Alan Hardy's comments afterall?

I think one or two more GOOD quality signings would make me pretty happy with our transfer activity, random youngsters on loan aren't going to appease anyone at the moment though even if they turn out to be the next Jack Grealish and Calum McGregor.

Bridg4d_Pie_
03-08-2017, 02:54 PM

Get Real !!!!!!!! :PXDXD

Bridg4d_Pie_
03-08-2017, 02:57 PM
That is the crux of the matter. He should have said that this was to be a season of consolidation.

I think if you look back that is exactly what Nolan suggested he dismissed a promotion challenge and stated that he saw this season as one to build the platform for promotion as he wanted to go up and stay up not slip back down again.

countygump
03-08-2017, 04:42 PM
I think if you look back that is exactly what Nolan suggested he dismissed a promotion challenge and stated that he saw this season as one to build the platform for promotion as he wanted to go up and stay up not slip back down again.

New indoor peatch.................

https://www.nottscountyfc.co.uk/news/2017/august/3g-pitch-installed/

Bridg4d_Pie_
03-08-2017, 05:25 PM
New indoor peatch.................

https://www.nottscountyfc.co.uk/news/2017/august/3g-pitch-installed/

I think you will find the new indoor pitch paid for by Life Line, next please.

pedrolane
03-08-2017, 05:26 PM
Trouble is Oldsripy our kids will never progress as there are no games for them to play in when they become 18 years old, no reserve team so they just drift out of the game. Then we sign total crap so the younger players can't progress. Ilson allegedly went under for 14k and had 600k debts with 100k assets. Will never be a training ground and never at a level to loan young players where they too can progress. As said maybe that's AH's level when all said and done?

Oldstripy
03-08-2017, 05:33 PM
Trouble is Oldsripy our kids will never progress as there are no games for them to play in when they become 18 years old, no reserve team so they just drift out of the game. Then we sign total crap so the younger players can't progress. Ilson allegedly went under for 14k and had 600k debts with 100k assets. Will never be a training ground and never at a level to loan young players where they too can progress. As said maybe that's AH's level when all said and done?

The only thing I can say is what utter nonsense.

pedrolane
03-08-2017, 05:34 PM
tell me more

Oldstripy
03-08-2017, 06:12 PM
QUOTE=pedrolane;38607519]tell me more[/QUOTE]

Alan Hardy and Kevin Nolan were at the game on Tuesday evening and would have been very impressed with the first half performance and will have seen some future first teamers.

There will be reserve games we have too many players for them not to play games to keep them match fit.

I don't know the details of the Ilkeston deal with the liquidators and I suggest neither do you as it would be kept confidential.

Alan Hardy has said he is looking for 4 acres of land to build a training facility it may take some time, in the mean time Basford is good for now and I expect Basford Utd welcome the the extra income add to the that the new facilities at Meadow Lane ie the new 250k gym and indoor 5 a side pitch.

SmiffyPie
03-08-2017, 06:19 PM
I think if you look back that is exactly what Nolan suggested he dismissed a promotion challenge and stated that he saw this season as one to build the platform for promotion as he wanted to go up and stay up not slip back down again.Nobody is disputing KN, the issue is AH and his WOW/Class of whatever/Can't resist Tweeting raising expectations a la RT.
I doubt whether AH saying this season is a rebuild (again!!!) for a push next season would have had any effect whatsoever on season ticket sales as has been suggested. A cold, cynical, level headed, focused chairman would have been welcomed just as well, if not better, than the Tweeter!!
Actions speak far louder than words.

Freeman25
03-08-2017, 06:53 PM
I think you will find the new indoor pitch paid for by Life Line, next please.

I think you'll find Lifeline contributed to the pitch, not paid for it...

"Hardy has given Notts boss Kevin Nolan a sneak peek of the £250,000 facility and the Magpies chief was "blown away" by the level of quality."

Now joining Lifeline is available online, our U7's starlets are urging everyone to sign-up. Need to raise £50,000 for an indoor 3G pitch

He also said as much in reply to a fan saying lifeline "paid for it" but I can't find that tweet.