PDA

View Full Version : If true then then football certainly dead...

Dubbag
02-08-2017, 09:05 PM
Neymar agrees five-year PSG deal

Apparently 20 gazillion gazillion £££££££€€€€€€€€€$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Sky has also managed to shut down a large number of live stream feeds for this coming season.........I for one would not pay to view unless I was actually going to a game......
Thankfully....I still listen to most live sports on the radio.....far better in my opinion.......

There use to be a load of green fields around where I grew up in the early 70's...with a river and hills........it is needless to say a housing estate today. The children in our area have nowhere to play except one small 30 yard by 10 yard wide piece of greenery.....very sad.
But just like those green fields when I was younger....I am glad I watched MOTD and followed WBA back then....because the game I grew up with has evolved into a monster today.. I have happy and sad memories of supporting WBA...but importantly I didn't need much money to enjoy my pass time...not like today...

I think I will begin to keep an eye on Stourbridge as well this year......>:(

mickd1961
02-08-2017, 10:12 PM
We have two big parks areas within 100 yards of each other in Pedmore/Wollescote.

As a ****ager in the 70's we'd race to get there after tea at this time of year and it'd end up as a 30 a side free for all,absolute chaos but brilliant fun.

On the main park now it's empty apart from the ocaissional dog walker letting their dog have a s h I t.....no football,cricket or rounders now for kids unless "organised" FFS.

The other park does get used by the Asian community from Lye but they do not seem keen for anybody else to join in.

The Neymar fiasco is the tip of a huge disgusting iceberg and cements my decision not to bother with a season ticket.

Last night me and three mates went to watch Stourbridge's pre season match away at Sporting Khalsa at Willenhall Towns old ground at Noose Lane,a crowd of about 120 with most of those Stour fans.

100% commitment from both sides and no diving and pretentious bull s h I t.......brilliant value.

Saturday is our last friendly away at Hereford FC and we'll take 200-300 and I'll bet the crowd is 1500+.

A lot of you don't know what you're missing by not going to watch local football......give your local side a try.

Unless it's Halesowen!!

Albionic68
02-08-2017, 10:33 PM
I watch local football occasionally when not following the Albion away.

Dare say you'll see he of Grorty Dick fame there, Simon Wright.

Didn't have a lot of time for many of the Hereford supporters who were in attendance at Boldmere a while back.

Some of them genuinely seem to think they're the Man Utd of the lower Leagues.

I just thought most of them were female parts, genuinely obnoxious tosser element.

Hope you smash them B) .

WBA1955
03-08-2017, 05:34 AM
Load'of'Bull'Danny';D

Q165
03-08-2017, 05:55 AM
It has been practically impossible to escape the blanket coverage of this. But I am afraid I have not been able to share the excitement of various news presenters creaming themselves at this appalling incident. The sums of money I have seen and heard quoted are approaching the obscene. We can see with this what has become of football at this level. But I shudder to think what will happen. Truly unpleasant.

PS for 68. Has even Simon Wright given up on the Baggies?

phild
03-08-2017, 06:50 AM
The money aspect has become so huge that I think its inevitable before the likes of the man u's, man c, arse and Chelsea et al plus the richer clubs in Spain Italy France etc all break away and form their own Super Euro league. Clubs like Chelsea feel its far too beneath them to play the likes of Albion and if we do somehow conjure a win its now almost like a giant killing act.

talkSAFT
03-08-2017, 08:23 AM
The Neymar fiasco is the tip of a huge disgusting iceberg and cements my decision not to bother with a season ticket.

Last night me and three mates went to watch Stourbridge's pre season match away at Sporting Khalsa at Willenhall Towns old ground at Noose Lane,a crowd of about 120 with most of those Stour fans.

100% commitment from both sides and no diving and pretentious bull s h I t.......brilliant value.

Saturday is our last friendly away at Hereford FC and we'll take 200-300 and I'll bet the crowd is 1500+.

A lot of you don't know what you're missing by not going to watch local football......give your local side a try.

Unless it's Halesowen!!

Just what we need.....from Lord Haw-Haw of The Hawthorns. :mad:

kettering_baggie
03-08-2017, 10:27 AM
Sadly, too much money has polluted football at the top level. TV money has taken the game from us. Lets face it, TV cares nothing for football per se, its all about making money. If we all stopped going to Premier League matches I don't think it would matter much, as long as the rights to screen the games were still being sold abroad and the advertising revenue keeps rolling in. Most of our 'top flight' clubs are now owned by foreigners, middle eastern and chinese in particular. What on Earth are those people going to care about us? The chinaman that now owns WBA has his own agenda for the Club and I doubt very much that we feature much in that agenda. I have renewed my ST in the forlorn hope that this season will be better. Yes, self delusion!

mickd1961
03-08-2017, 11:27 AM
Just what we need.....from Lord Haw-Haw of The Hawthorns. :mad:

What a sad little man.

Get yourself a life.

talkSAFT
03-08-2017, 12:02 PM
Effing right though. Are you a Dingle or what?

Dubbag
03-08-2017, 12:07 PM
Traditionally I have always structured my days off from work to when The Albion are playing......but that started changing last season...to the point that I would check on the results after games, instead of during them.... I accept like all things in life we evolve and change...and other things become our most important things. I am not helped my the 40 points mentality thing that we have adapted over the last few years. I am still not convinced that players haven't gone of the boil in their own heads....That is mainly down to managing expectations.... However the obscene amounts of money been spent on individuals is quite shocking really.

Regarding supporters....I remember some years ago there was a huge drop of in fans attending games in Italy. No matter how exciting or important the game was....seeing a half empty stadium just made for a terribly atmosphere and watching spectacle on TV. Worse you could hear the players and officials cursing very easily and many people started complaining. One channel even tried using sound effects of a full ground when clearly it was not.....
In the end the TV companies had to pull a lot of the live games and many over seas companies never renewed contracts to screen live games. It actually cause a major rethink.
I can see it escalating over in England.....it is like a housing bubble!!!
A crash is on the way......

Albionic68
03-08-2017, 12:36 PM
PS for 68. Has even Simon Wright given up on the Baggies?

Hello 165.

I wouldn't say he's given up on us as such, but he has grown largely disillusioned with the modern game. This disillusionment pre dates the appointment of TP by the way ;D .

SW attended Hereford Utd games even while still regularly attending Albion games. It's just that the ratio of attendance is far more heavily weighted towards the Bulls these days. When he attended their game against the 'Mikes' he was very definitely wearing Hereford Utd colours though. Further, I've no idea the last time he attended an Albion game at the Shrine.

Won't pretend I know him well and in no way do I mean to presume his motivations, and although we speak very occasionally I certainly don't speak for him. As a side note Glynis Wright was still attending our games last season.

Albionic68
03-08-2017, 12:55 PM
Hello 165.

I wouldn't say he's given up on us as such, but he has grown largely disillusioned with the modern game. This disillusionment pre dates the appointment of TP by the way ;D .

SW attended Hereford Utd games even while still regularly attending Albion games. It's just that the ratio of attendance is far more heavily weighted towards the Bulls these days. When he attended their game against the 'Mikes' he was very definitely wearing Hereford Utd colours though. Further, I've no idea the last time he attended an Albion game at the Shrine.

Won't pretend I know him well and in no way do I mean to presume his motivations, and although we speak very occasionally I certainly don't speak for him. As a side note Glynis Wright was still attending our games last season.

Ed: before Holmleigh Chris passes comment, clearly not at the same time :) ;D .

mickd1961
03-08-2017, 01:00 PM
Effing right though. Are you a Dingle or what?

Yeah I'm a Dingle.

Moron!

talkSAFT
03-08-2017, 03:43 PM
Go back to your own board then, moron.
We've got enough problems trying to raise enthusiasm without Dingles - or our own fans - trying to muddy the waters.

holmleighchris
03-08-2017, 04:52 PM
Hello 165.

He had an Albion season ticket last season but as you say probably attended more Hereford games. The man is a glory seeker.

Albionic68
03-08-2017, 04:58 PM
He had an Albion season ticket last season but as you say probably attended more Hereford games.The man is a glory seeker.

Told him he was a glory hunter last time I spoke to him....... and the time before that....... and the....... XD .

WBA1955
03-08-2017, 05:36 PM
Bloody'hell'Talksaft,no'need'for'that.Mick,'is'a'B aggie'through'and'through.Like'me'he'is'disillusio ned'of'the'circus'the'game'has'become'
and'the'lack'of'ambition'shown'by'our'club.
I'm'off'to'Stour'n'all.
Might'be'bringing'a'couple'with'me'Mick

WBA1955
03-08-2017, 05:45 PM
I'am'friends'with'Simon'on'FB
Something'seriously'wrong'with'the'pro'game'when'o ld'hands'like'us'are'abandoning'it'in'droves

mickd1961
03-08-2017, 06:10 PM
Bloody'hell'Talksaft,no'need'for'that.Mick,'is'a'B aggie'through'and'through.Like'me'he'is'disillusio ned'of'the'circus'the'game'has'become'
and'the'lack'of'ambition'shown'by'our'club.
I'm'off'to'Stour'n'all.
Might'be'bringing'a'couple'with'me'Mick

He needs to change his name to "TalkShyte" Des....the moron is a f kin troll.

I've told you before you'll be most welcome at Stour alongside our many Stour/Baggies like WordsleyBaggie,BrockmoorBaggie and ES Baggie.

There's loads of dissolusioned Wolves,Villa and Walsall fans attending as well and tbf we all get along and have a laugh.

First home match a week on Sunday and over 1000 expected so get yourself along.

WBA1955
03-08-2017, 06:31 PM
3'o'clock'KO

Evewolf65
03-08-2017, 08:45 PM
I watch local football occasionally when not following the Albion away.

Dare say you'll see he of Grorty Dick fame there, Simon Wright.

Didn't have a lot of time for many of the Hereford supporters who were in attendance at Boldmere a while back.

Some of them genuinely seem to think they're the Man Utd of the lower Leagues.

I just thought most of them were female parts, genuinely obnoxious tosser element.

Hope you smash them B) .

We had the Hereford lot up our way (Evesham) back end of last season giving it the big un'! I said to one of their Lad's what are you gonna do when you get somewhere where they're waiting for you!

mickd1961
03-08-2017, 09:30 PM
We had the Hereford lot up our way (Evesham) back end of last season giving it the big un'! I said to one of their Lad's what are you gonna do when you get somewhere where they're waiting for you!

Same when they played at little Lye Town and at Alvechurch and at many other little clubs,they have a terrible reputation.

How sad when you consider they'd folded and started from scratch,you'd think they'd be so grateful to have a team to watch.

They seem to have a "Billy Big B o ll o x" attitude in the minor leagues rather than embracing the experience and appreciating the ethos at tiny clubs who in many cases are run by volunteers and frequented by a lot of elderly and small children.

Like you say Evo....there will be a time when Milwall or the like will be lying in wait.

The traveling 200+ Stour fans are fully expecting the possibility of trouble on Saturday.

Very sad.

holmleighchris
04-08-2017, 05:49 AM
I'd be tempted to go and watch Gloucester but they are playing home games at Evesham this season.10 years since the floods damaged their stadium and it's still not been put right.

stripes39
04-08-2017, 08:35 AM
Told him he was a glory hunter last time I spoke to him....... and the time before that....... and the....... XD .

68 - I don't know SW and GW but wasn't it them who more often than not travelled on the away coaches with Terry 'Mr Albion' Wills? If it was then I remember them from several away trips.......:zzz:

stripes39
04-08-2017, 09:06 AM
He needs to change his name to "TalkShyte" Des....the moron is a f kin troll.

I've told you before you'll be most welcome at Stour alongside our many Stour/Baggies like WordsleyBaggie,BrockmoorBaggie and ES Baggie.

There's loads of dissolusioned Wolves,Villa and Walsall fans attending as well and tbf we all get along and have a laugh.

First home match a week on Sunday and over 1000 expected so get yourself along.

Mick - what do they charge out of interest to get in to Stourbridge these days? I'm half way between Stourbridge and Kidderminster so I'm planning to watch a few games at both grounds. Have a couple of mates who haven't renewed ST's at Albion although the plan is we will attend some Albion matches but in a reduced capacity to last season with the Harriers and Stourbridge benefitting from our absence.

Saw Kiddy Harriers in their semi-final play off a few weeks back and have to say I enjoyed the experience. It was nice the fact that many people knew each other including the players and you could feel a sense of community. The fact that you can have a civilised pint or two before the match also didn't spoil the experience. This year I shall just take out membership at Albion and probably aim to attend around 50% of the home games although from a price point of view the £25 ticket to see Premiership football compared to £15 to see Kiddy Harriers stacks up well in favour of the Premiership but as has been said, its many other factors that have started to make me feel marginalised from the club I've always supported.

Albionic68
04-08-2017, 09:18 AM
68 - I don't know SW and GW but wasn't it them who more often than not travelled on the away coaches with Terry 'Mr Albion' Wills? If it was then I remember them from several away trips.......:zzz:

Can't help on that one Stripes.

I don't use the officials so absolutely no idea chap.

mickd1961
04-08-2017, 09:22 AM
Mick - what do they charge out of interest to get in to Stourbridge these days? I'm half way between Stourbridge and Kidderminster so I'm planning to watch a few games at both grounds. Have a couple of mates who haven't renewed ST's at Albion although the plan is we will attend some Albion matches but in a reduced capacity to last season with the Harriers and Stourbridge benefitting from our absence.

Saw Kiddy Harriers in their semi-final play off a few weeks back and have to say I enjoyed the experience. It was nice the fact that many people knew each other including the players and you could feel a sense of community. The fact that you can have a civilised pint or two before the match also didn't spoil the experience. This year I shall just take out membership at Albion and probably aim to attend around 50% of the home games although from a price point of view the £25 ticket to see Premiership football compared to £15 to see Kiddy Harriers stacks up well in favour of the Premiership but as has been said, its many other factors that have started to make me feel marginalised from the club I've always supported.

It's £10 for adults mate.

Very annoyingly they charged me just £5 on two ocaissions last season when I was mistaken for a pensioner!

I'm a non drinker but I'm told the beer in the club is excellent.

Albionic68
04-08-2017, 09:32 AM

With membership at £20 a pop I'd be waiting for games to go on general sale were I not a season ticket holder. Don't think we'll be having too many sell outs and the Category A priced games would be the ones which'd see me in attendance at the lower Leagues. This would be on principle more than anything. Category pricing is as much a rip off as the new membership fee. Fk 'em ;D .

stripes39
04-08-2017, 03:43 PM
With membership at £20 a pop I'd be waiting for games to go on general sale were I not a season ticket holder. Don't think we'll be having too many sell outs and the Category A priced games would be the ones which'd see me in attendance at the lower Leagues. This would be on principle more than anything. Category pricing is as much a rip off as the new membership fee. Fk 'em ;D .

My thoughts exactly 68. Part of my disillusionment with all things Premier League is the fact that so much is given over to the top 4 or 5 teams so I can quite happily live without them when the circus rolls in to town. I had to check the price of membership as a mate of mine paid £5 last year for adult membership and now (as you say) its gone to £20. That's sweet of them.

As if categorised matches aren't enough, I'm told that its £265.00 for a kid to be a mascot but if it's Man U or Liverpool its £350.00. They're getting us every which way. It all seems quite petty really when you think that the recent Sky increase in revenue was big enough to in theory remove the cost of entrance for every spectator and they still would have made more than they did the year before this new deal such was the increase. I'm not advocating it should be free either but Premiership clubs really can't get enough cash can they? A little concession to the fans would be nice but as we no longer count I'm not holding my breath.

stripes39
04-08-2017, 03:52 PM
Can't help on that one Stripes.

I don't use the officials so absolutely no idea chap.

I used to use the away coaches once upon a time. A quick look on Google tells me it was them. They used to sell that fanzine at all of the matches and it was Terry Wills who used to give them a hand. I remember reading someone's copy and she used to write a blo*dy diary that went on and on and on.....:zzz: You could start the article at the Hawthorns and if you were lucky have finished it by the time you got to Manchester or London. Terry Mr Albion Wills phones Paul Franks's football phone-in nearly every night on WM to deliver his state of the nation address on all things WBA.

Q165
04-08-2017, 04:12 PM
I used to use the away coaches once upon a time. A quick look on Google tells me it was them. They used to sell that fanzine at all of the matches and it was Terry Wills who used to give them a hand. I remember reading someone's copy and she used to write a blo*dy diary that went on and on and on.....:zzz: You could start the article at the Hawthorns and if you were lucky have finished it by the time you got to Manchester or London. Terry Mr Albion Wills phones Paul Franks's football phone-in nearly every night on WM to deliver his state of the nation address on all things WBA.

There were some decent articles in GD.

Albionic68
04-08-2017, 05:43 PM
Results from the Football Supporters Federation (FSF) National Supporters Survey for 2017 linked below for anyone with an interest.

"Earlier this year, we surveyed almost 8,500 football supporters to get their thoughts on the state of the game - the biggest survey of fans by fans since our last census in 2012".

http://www.fsf.org.uk/blog/view/national-supporters-survey-2017-full-results

holmleighchris
05-08-2017, 05:55 AM
My thoughts exactly 68. Part of my disillusionment with all things Premier League is the fact that so much is given over to the top 4 or 5 teams so I can quite happily live without them when the circus rolls in to town. I had to check the price of membership as a mate of mine paid £5 last year for adult membership and now (as you say) its gone to £20. That's sweet of them.

As if categorised matches aren't enough, I'm told that its £265.00 for a kid to be a mascot but if it's Man U or Liverpool its £350.00. They're getting us every which way. It all seems quite petty really when you think that the recent Sky increase in revenue was big enough to in theory remove the cost of entrance for every spectator and they still would have made more than they did the year before this new deal such was the increase. I'm not advocating it should be free either but Premiership clubs really can't get enough cash can they? A little concession to the fans would be nice but as we no longer count I'm not holding my breath.

So the total amount of money made from mascots is about 30% of what the average first teamer makes in a week. Why bother charging?

WBA1955
05-08-2017, 08:44 AM
In'the'70's'there'was'an'old'chap'named'Bill'where 'we'worked.He'had'supported'Wolves'all'his'life'un til'1964'when'they'sacked'Cullis.
He'never'set'foot'in'the'ground'again,instead'he'f ollowed'Bilston'Town'home'and'away.
As'a'youngster'in'my'early'20's,and'fanatically'Al bion'i'couldn't'understand'how'he'could'turn'his'b ack'on'the'club'had'followed'all'his'life.
I'have'been'falling'out'of'love'with'the'pro'game' for'the'last'5'or'6'years.
Albion'was'a'family'club.The'chairman'was'a'Black' Countryman'the'players'always'had'time'for'the'fan s.
The'fans'were'down'to'earth,rough,loud'and'the'wit tiest'in'the'land.The'football'win'or'lose'was'spa rkling'and'out'of'the'ordinary.
I'don't'recognise'the'club'i'loved'anymore.Mercena ry'players,a'distant'owner'turgid'boring'football' and'whingeing'fans.
The'love'affair'for'me'began'to'end'when'Olsson'sp at'and'swore'at'his'own'fans.I'liked'him'as'a'play er'but'lost'respect'for'him'as'a'person
after'that.Could'you'imagine'Graham'Williams,Jeff' Astle'or'John'Wile'doing'that
Next'week'i'hope'to'attend'my'first'game'at'Stourb ridge
I'am'hoping'that'football'in'the'real'world'will'r eignite'my'love'of'the'game

talkSAFT
05-08-2017, 09:18 AM
In'the'70's'there'was'an'old'chap'named'Bill'where 'we'worked.He'had'supported'Wolves'all'his'life'un til'1964'when'they'sacked'Cullis.
He'never'set'foot'in'the'ground'again,instead'he'f ollowed'Bilston'Town'home'and'away.
As'a'youngster'in'my'early'20's,and'fanatically'Al bion'i'couldn't'understand'how'he'could'turn'his'b ack'on'the'club'had'followed'all'his'life.
I'have'been'falling'out'of'love'with'the'pro'game' for'the'last'5'or'6'years.
Albion'was'a'family'club.The'chairman'was'a'Black' Countryman'the'players'always'had'time'for'the'fan s.
The'fans'were'down'to'earth,rough,loud'and'the'wit tiest'in'the'land.The'football'win'or'lose'was'spa rkling'and'out'of'the'ordinary.
I'don't'recognise'the'club'i'loved'anymore.Mercena ry'players,a'distant'owner'turgid'boring'football' and'whingeing'fans.
The'love'affair'for'me'began'to'end'when'Olsson'sp at'and'swore'at'his'own'fans.I'liked'him'as'a'play er'but'lost'respect'for'him'as'a'person
after'that.Could'you'imagine'Graham'Williams,Jeff' Astle'or'John'Wile'doing'that
Next'week'i'hope'to'attend'my'first'game'at'Stourb ridge
I'am'hoping'that'football'in'the'real'world'will'r eignite'my'love'of'the'game

Cheerio then. You're one of the whingeing fans you mention above.
I'm no happy clapper by any means, but I came on here because I now live 250 miles away from the ground, and have enjoyed 'talking' to like-minded Albion-till-I-die fans. So many on here are starting to whinge, and I'm afraid it's catching, so goodbye cruel "fans".

WBA1955
05-08-2017, 09:31 AM
I'take'exception'to'seeing'people'spat'on'by'milli onaires
Sooner'give'my'money'to'a'working'class'club

Albionic68
05-08-2017, 10:51 AM
Cheerio then. You're one of the whingeing fans you mention above.
I'm no happy clapper by any means, but I came on here because I now live 250 miles away from the ground, and have enjoyed 'talking' to like-minded Albion-till-I-die fans. So many on here are starting to whinge, and I'm afraid it's catching, so goodbye cruel "fans".

Crikey, where do you live then?

Truro? Berwick-upon-Tweed?

That's some bloody commute if so.

holmleighchris
06-08-2017, 07:09 AM
It's not the Albion that's the problem, it's the game. Too much TV exposure, too much money, too many cheating players.
Back in the day there were villains. Ron Harris, Billy Bremner, Ian Ure, Tommy Smith, Ron Yeats, and more would cynically chop opponents down regularly. There were the odd divers. Frannie Lee was the main one. Chippy Clark wasn't immune from this. However now so many players go down at the slightest touch, roll around in "agony" then get up as if nothing has happened. This includes so called"hard men" of today's game. Our very own Claudio Yacob is one who regularly does it. Referees give the free kick for fear of getting it wrong. "Expert pundits" analyse the "foul" to the enth degree and decide "Yes there was contact, therefore it must be a foul". All this and more detracts from what was the greatest sport in the world.
My passion for Albion still exists, my passion for the game doesn't.

WBA1955
06-08-2017, 08:24 AM
Spot'on'Chris,i'feel'exactly'the'same.Albion'til'i 'die,but'the'game'that'gave'me'so'much'pleasure'no w'bores'me'to'tears.
Years'ago'you'had'football'just'once'or'twice'a'we ek,and'just'two'games'on'MOTD
Now'we'are'getting'3'or'4'games'a'DAY'on'tele.Foot ball'is'not'a'treat'any'more

phild
06-08-2017, 09:40 AM
Too much money sloshing around for sure Tradition has been trashed by advertising money,i mean look what they've done to the Football League cup! Its now called the Carabao Cup,ffs. What a stupid stupid name. To win the League Cup was an Honour. But winning the Rumblelows/Milk/Littlewoods/carling and now Carabao Cup sounds almost like a joke.

mickd1961
06-08-2017, 10:10 AM
Spot'on'Chris,i'feel'exactly'the'same.Albion'til'i 'die,but'the'game'that'gave'me'so'much'pleasure'no w'bores'me'to'tears.
Years'ago'you'had'football'just'once'or'twice'a'we ek,and'just'two'games'on'MOTD
Now'we'are'getting'3'or'4'games'a'DAY'on'tele.Foot ball'is'not'a'treat'any'more

Sounds like the exact opposite to my *** life!

Albionic68
06-08-2017, 10:15 AM
Too much money sloshing around for sure Tradition has been trashed by advertising money,i mean look what they've done to the Football League cup! Its now called the Carabao Cup,ffs. What a stupid stupid name. To win the League Cup was an Honour. But winning the Rumblelows/Milk/Littlewoods/carling and now Carabao Cup sounds almost like a joke.

The Bass Charity Vase has a certain ring to it though Phil, proper trophy that O:) ;D .

http://i64.tinypic.com/2e0jkfo.jpg

Jonny agrees, campione, campione, ole ole ole............. B) .