PDA

View Full Version : Importance of that first game...

sidders
03-08-2017, 09:27 AM
Being Notts County, this site will be jumping around like a box of frogs if Coventry give us a going over on Saturday. The doom scenario will be repeated over and over.
But how important is it to win that first game?
Of the 7 teams who finished up at the top of Notts division last season, only two won their first game of the season. Two finished up as draws and three actually lost. One of the losers (0-3 at home to Blackpool) was Plymouth, who went on to win the division.
I seem to recall some seasons ago in league 1 the team that went on to win the division losing their first game either 0-8 or 1-8. Can anyone out there recall who and when it was?
So a bit of decorum, eh chaps. Win, lose or draw (and my money's on that), there are 45 more games to play.

marky
03-08-2017, 09:30 AM
Norwich lost 7-1 at home to Colchester in 2009.

CmonUSexyStylishPies
03-08-2017, 09:32 AM
2009 Norwich lost to Colchester 7-1 and went on to win the league finishing on 95 points. The same day we beat Bradford 5-0.

Bohinen
03-08-2017, 09:43 AM
Being Notts County, this site will be jumping around like a box of frogs if Coventry give us a going over on Saturday. The doom scenario will be repeated over and over ...

So a bit of decorum, eh chaps. Win, lose or draw (and my money's on that), there are 45 more games to play.

I see Sid is getting his moaning about the moaners in early. Most likely we will win owing to having minutes in legs and employing two banks of four. The actual thread titles will then be along the lines of 'Where are all the Hardy haters now'.

Btw, we will win 4-1 and the goalscorers will be Daniel Jones (who won't attack anyone), Liam Walker, Callum Saunders and A Trialist.

sidders
03-08-2017, 09:45 AM
I see Sid is getting his moaning about the moaners in early. Most likely we will win owing to having minutes in legs and employing two banks of four. The actual thread titles will then be along the lines of 'Where are all the Hardy haters now'.

If the cap fits, Bo, don't let me stop you wearing it.

Thanks Marky et al for correcting me that it was 1-7 NOT 1-8 and identifying the team as NCFC (the other one). How inbarrassing!

Elite_Pie
03-08-2017, 09:49 AM
One of the losers (0-3 at home to Blackpool) was Plymouth, who went on to win the division.

A few Portsmouth fans are going to be disappointed when they find that out!

SolSigns
03-08-2017, 09:51 AM

I see Bohinen is getting his moaning about the moaners who moan about moaning in early, not to mention his where are the "Where are all the Hardy haters now" bit. The oily worm, the early wheel and all that. It's verily like circle in a spiral, a wheel within a wheel. Did the FA really just send us to Coventry?

Bohinen
03-08-2017, 09:53 AM
If the cap fits, Bo, don't let me stop you wearing it.

The cap hasn't even been made yet. Oh, and we won 5-0 that day, so does that mean we finished bottom? Nope, we were top.

I have seen a dew opening day defeats for us which did indeed signal a season of doom. But losing at Coventry is no big deal.

Bohinen
03-08-2017, 09:55 AM
I see Bohinen is getting his moaning about the moaners who moan about moaning in early, not to mention his where are the "Where are all the Hardy haters now" bit. The oily worm, the early wheel and all that. It's verily like circle in a spiral, a wheel within a wheel.

If the cap which hasn't been made yet fits then wear it. You won't start that thread anyway but you will agree with it.

sidders
03-08-2017, 09:59 AM
A few Portsmouth fans are going to be disappointed when they find that out!

Hmmm, did I say win? I meant 'finish runners-up'. Of course I did. Pompey drew their first game that day.

KeepTheMagpieFlyingH
03-08-2017, 10:10 AM
Paul Lambert was Colchester manager..Brian Gunn Norwich. Gunn got sacked and Lambert replaced him if I recall. A good manager is the key to any kind of success..McParland and Cotterell are great comparisons because they had the same team.

We have the right manager..hopefully he's got the squad.

queenslandpie
03-08-2017, 10:22 AM
Paul Lambert was Colchester manager..Brian Gunn Norwich. Gunn got sacked and Lambert replaced him if I recall. A good manager is the key to any kind of success..McParland and Cotterell are great comparisons because they had the same team.

DO those who dont go to games have the right to moan about those who moan about those not attending games moaning about the stupid opinions of those that do?

uysapie
03-08-2017, 10:23 AM

It's his squad now.

SolSigns
03-08-2017, 10:39 AM
DO those who dont go to games have the right to moan about those who moan about those not attending games moaning about the stupid opinions of those that do?

If those who don't go to games moan about those who moan about those not going to games, then those with stupid opinions have the right to moan about them IF they went to the game. But then their opinion is stupid anyway, so it's kind of like a waste of a vote.

KeepTheMagpieFlyingH
03-08-2017, 11:11 AM

You quoted my post..so I'll take it that you are calling my opinion stupid.

The OP highlights the Norwich result..others the Notts result from opening day 09. Look at both clubs paths to winning promotion..you'll find in both cases it had nothing to do with players/signings or squads. A lot of us..myself included are putting to much stock in players/signings when this thread highlights perfectly how naive that is.

queenslandpie
03-08-2017, 11:43 AM
You quoted my post..so I'll take it that you are calling my opinion stupid.

The OP highlights the Norwich result..others the Notts result from opening day 09. Look at both clubs paths to winning promotion..you'll find in both cases it had nothing to do with players/signings or squads. A lot of us..myself included are putting to much stock in players/signings when this thread highlights perfectly how naive that is.

Incorrect. I was moaning about the moaners moaning about those who don't go to games being moaned at by those with stupid opinions. Are you keeping up old boy? I know you are only a trialist but already getting could do betters isn't going to improve your game.

I don't think your post is stupid but if you dare go to a game and criticise my opinion I'll have you matey boy. Then and only then will you understand my fairly stupid sense of humour.

upthemaggies
03-08-2017, 11:49 AM
I don't think Notts have ever been promoted after losing their opening game of the season, which - given all of our ups and downs - is quite surprising.
The last 5 promotions, going back to 1980/81, began with a victory.

queenslandpie
03-08-2017, 11:53 AM
I don't think Notts have ever been promoted after losing their opening game of the season, which - given all of our ups and downs - is quite surprising.

There we have it. Dont buy a season ticket if we lose at Coventry. You can have 12 months of saturdays off safe in the knowledge that if we lose we're ****ed!

MAD_MAGPIE
03-08-2017, 12:12 PM
Being Notts County, this site will be jumping around like a box of frogs if Coventry give us a going over on Saturday. The doom scenario will be repeated over and over.
But how important is it to win that first game?
Of the 7 teams who finished up at the top of Notts division last season, only two won their first game of the season. Two finished up as draws and three actually lost. One of the losers (0-3 at home to Blackpool) was Plymouth, who went on to win the division.
I seem to recall some seasons ago in league 1 the team that went on to win the division losing their first game either 0-8 or 1-8. Can anyone out there recall who and when it was?

Whilst it's always good to get off to winning ways it's not the be all and the end all. What will happen in the other 45 games will have a much bigger impact than what happens on the first day.

Some teams who get promoted lose heavily as you have mentioned, other teams can win convincingly and get relegated.

For me it's about seeing how we play as a unit and what strengths and weaknesses we may have to get a feel of what we may come to see over the next 9 months.

Frigiliana Pie 1
03-08-2017, 03:34 PM

You're absolutely right, we have NEVER been promoted after losing the first league match.

However, on two occasions, in 1923 and 1931, we went up after an opening day win away to Coventry City, both by 2-1.

So if we get a win on Saturday, we're as good as up. Simples.

SmiffyPie
03-08-2017, 08:02 PM
I read on another post that because we hadn't made signings like Mansfailed there would be no pressure on the team if we lost against Coventry. (some bloke that has a Rushcliffe user name?).
I would suggest that with the squad we have managed to cobble together if we lost there would be tremendous pressure applied.

nw6pie
03-08-2017, 09:27 PM
Most deceptive start was in 1983/84 when we won 4-0 at Leicester. We won the second game too, I think, but then had a disastrous run under the clown that is Larry Lloyd. Relegation followed, followed by another one a year later. Happy days!

CmonUSexyStylishPies
03-08-2017, 09:51 PM
One things a certainty. Win the first game rather than losing it gives us a better chance of promotion, fact. Anything else is nonsensical waffle.

irishpete
04-08-2017, 05:05 AM
Most deceptive start was in 1983/84 when we won 4-0 at Leicester. We won the second game too, I think, but then had a disastrous run under the clown that is Larry Lloyd. Relegation followed, followed by another one a year later. Happy days!

Stop insulting Clowns :D

irishpete
04-08-2017, 05:14 AM
Whilst we would all like a win,I think a lot will be focusing on how the team play.If it's dire, god help AH on his twitter page,after all the bumming up he did at the end of last season,about players & style.
Anybody know what kind of pre season results Coventry have had?

americanpie
04-08-2017, 07:44 AM
I see Bohinen is getting his moaning about the moaners who moan about moaning in early, not to mention his where are the "Where are all the Hardy haters now" bit. The oily worm, the early wheel and all that. It's verily like circle in a spiral, a wheel within a wheel. Did the FA really just send us to Coventry?

I'm still trying to work out "moaning about the moaners,who moan about moaners moaning".;D

sidders
04-08-2017, 08:01 AM
Wasn't it between Nolan and the now Cov manager, Mark Robins, for Alan Hardy's first managerial appointment? Should give the game an extra edge.
I see the Coventry paper has published the team for the game which, they say, has been arrived at through pre-season fixtures. Mr Nolan, otoh, will be throwing several names in a hat and picking out the 'lucky' eleven.