PDA

View Full Version : Nicky Hunt pre-Coventry comments

SwalePie
03-08-2017, 09:28 AM
Why does he think beating Coventry would be a 'massive upset'? We're both League Two teams with zero points in the league table. Sounds a bit of an odd way of thinking on the first day of a new season to me. Thoughts?

sidders
03-08-2017, 09:50 AM
Why does he think beating Coventry would be a 'massive upset'? We're both League Two teams with zero points in the league table. Sounds a bit of an odd way of thinking on the first day of a new season to me. Thoughts?

I didn't pick up on that, Swale. I guess the conventional wisdom says that Cov are a lower league version of Blackburn and the expectation is that they will turn the club around and head back up the charts, but Notts are simply malingerers these days.

queenslandpie
03-08-2017, 10:19 AM
I didn't pick up on that, Swale. I guess the conventional wisdom says that Cov are a lower league version of Blackburn and the expectation is that they will turn the club around and head back up the charts, but Notts are simply malingerers these days.

In Nicky Hunts comment is the reason there are no WOW signings. The WOW signings probably have the same opinion which is why they are WOWING elsewhere!

uysapie
03-08-2017, 10:21 AM
So we are approaching the game with an underdog mentality. Great!

queenslandpie
03-08-2017, 10:24 AM
So we are approaching the game with an underdog mentality. Great!

Are Coventry any good? I have absolutely no idea.

SwalePie
03-08-2017, 10:52 AM

That's what I meant really, until just before 5pm on Saturday nobody has so much as a clue who's good this season.

DomdomPie
03-08-2017, 11:05 AM
That's what I meant really, until just before 5pm on Saturday nobody has so much as a clue who's good this season.

Even then... I remember after our 1-1 away draw with Preston on the opening day of the 2014/15 season, thinking we were in for a pretty respectable season...

LaughingMagpie
03-08-2017, 12:31 PM
Even then... I remember after our 1-1 away draw with Preston on the opening day of the 2014/15 season, thinking we were in for a pretty respectable season...
Funnily enough we were just talking about that. Preston equalised in injury time and ultimately those two points lost cost us big time

LaughingMagpie
03-08-2017, 12:33 PM
I read somewhere that somebody had done a final table prediction and Coventry were third. Having said that they had Mansfield at the top and us 6th

LaxtonLad
03-08-2017, 01:08 PM
I read somewhere that somebody had done a final table prediction and Coventry were third. Having said that they had Mansfield at the top and us 6th

You could do a final table prediction yourself and put us top and Mansfield relegated.

upthemaggies
03-08-2017, 02:05 PM

Probably not but it's hard to equate them with the 4th tier. I was into my 30s when I could still say that they'd been a top flight club for the duration of my entire lifetime, as well as few years beforehand. They seemed every bit as an obvious Premier League outfit as Arsenal, Everton and Liverpool. It was however down to us that they didn't miss out on playing in the first season of the Premier League in 1992, they would have gone down had we lost to Luton on the final day.

We're well over due a draw away to Coventry having not had one down there since 1962. I think we'd all take that right now but who really has any idea what to expect from either team? A 4-0 win for either side shouldn't be a huge shock.

ancientpie
03-08-2017, 02:31 PM
Probably not but it's hard to equate them with the 4th tier. I was into my 30s when I could still say that they'd been a top flight club for the duration of my entire lifetime, as well as few years beforehand. They seemed every bit as an obvious Premier League outfit as Arsenal, Everton and Liverpool. It was however down to us that they didn't miss out on playing in the first season of the Premier League in 1992, they would have gone down had we lost to Luton on the final day.

We're well over due a draw away to Coventry having not had one down there since 1962. I think we'd all take that right now but who really has any idea what to expect from either team? A 4-0 win for either side shouldn't be a huge shock.

Much like Pompey last season they are a big club in this league & if they can get their off field problems sorted will no doubt start climbing again but for now they are a 4th tier side & although I appreciate that 1st day results can be misleading I think that we will have much more idea of our teams capabilities by 5.00 Saturday.

Steward
03-08-2017, 02:46 PM
Before the overated premiership started, wasn't Coventry the longest serving 1st division team

Old_pie
03-08-2017, 03:10 PM
Before the overated premiership started, wasn't Coventry the longest serving 1st division team

No, Everton by a country mile. I remember (old) 3rd division matches v Coventry, Big Tony scoring a great goal or two.

I think Everton have only spent 2 or 3 seasons out of the top flight their whole history.

upthemaggies
03-08-2017, 03:55 PM

Coventry had the distinction of being the only club never to have been relegated from the top flight (until they finally did get relegated in 2001). They had been promoted in 1967 but other clubs had been in the 1st tier uninterrupted for longer when the Premier League started in 1992, though it was only three - Everton, Liverpool and Arsenal.
Man Utd had of course gone down in 1974 for 1 season, Spurs for a term in 1977, Man City in 1983 for two seasons and Chelsea had no less than three spells in the 2nd tier during that time.

Frigiliana Pie 1
03-08-2017, 04:16 PM
No, Everton by a country mile. I remember (old) 3rd division matches v Coventry, Big Tony scoring a great goal or two.

I think Everton have only spent 2 or 3 seasons out of the top flight their whole history.

Arsenal have had the longest continuous period in the top division - ever since 1919. Everton (1954) are next, then Liverpool (1962).

Notts78
03-08-2017, 04:26 PM
Bookies don't fancy Coventry at all this season. I think mainly due to off field problems, however, some have said that the midfield at Coventry is short of competing in League 2. In fact most of the 'tipsters' i have seen have US as winning this game, and to NIL

Old_pie
03-08-2017, 05:18 PM
Arsenal have had the longest continuous period in the top division - ever since 1919. Everton (1954) are next, then Liverpool (1962).

Pity they didn't have a better start which I think gives Everton the most number of seasons in the top division, having competed there for 114 seasons.

Freeman25
03-08-2017, 06:27 PM
Players can't really win... Either they say that they will win and get moaned at like Noble did before Mansfield, be negative/cautious like Hunt or give a generic boring "we'll do our best" that nobody will care about.

SwalePie
03-08-2017, 11:08 PM
I think I've sussed it. Maybe he's heard that the total number of minutes in Coventry's legs is higher than ours?

51Magpie
04-08-2017, 02:14 PM
Maybe he's heard that the total number of minutes in Coventry's legs is higher than ours?

At least we no longer have anyone with minute legs (although we know Morecambe do).