PDA

View Full Version : Pundits, who needs them?

kettering_baggie
03-08-2017, 10:42 AM
The amount of money spent by TV companies of so-called experts, the pundits, has reached ridiculous proportions. SKY and the BBC seem to think that our subscriptions/licence fee is well spent on these overpaid former players. Some of them have trouble stringing a couple of sentences together but in any case, who cares what they think? What really matters is what we think. Cricket is getting as bad as football lately; SKY (again) has loads of ex-players on the commentary team, that could easily be cut to two (but not including Nasser Hussain, the master of using about 1000 words to tell us what we have just seen with our own eyes)! Would everybody stop watching Match of The Day if it didn't have a presenter that was paid £2 million? We just want to watch the football and to hell with what the ******* pundits think. I now record MOTD and fast forward past the pundits; I'm sure that I'm not the only one doing that!

mickd1961
03-08-2017, 11:24 AM
You're on a roll today Kets.

I do the same,I record and miss the punditry on football.

I differ on the cricket because I like the humour and natural interaction between the pundits.

Flintoff has been an excellent addition to the T20 commentary.....I love the way he takes the p I s s and rolls a hand greabade into the conversation.

I hate Lineker's smugness,I also watch most live football without commentary as I don't need some p r I c k telling me what I'm actually seeing with my own eyes!

Richie Benaud always said the art of commentary was knowing when to shut up and he'd sometimes go a few minutes and say nothing at all.

A true master at work.

Whicka_Mon
03-08-2017, 12:09 PM
What gets me is who they have. If Danny Murphy wasn't bad enough every time you turn on the radio/TV you get Micky Gray. At what point did he become an expert?
How old is this and how true?
https://youtu.be/oqAZsoF-ghw

Dubbag
03-08-2017, 12:20 PM
Richie Benaud would do that when it was his turn to sit in and commentate during an Ashes series on TMS....and that was on radio!!!
He had a great skill....one of the best!!

kettering_baggie
03-08-2017, 12:29 PM
Yes, Richie Benaud was excellent, Nasser Hussain should take note, speak when you have something worthwhile to say; and in his case, that would mean we would be spared his awful boring drone.

Back to former footballers having something to say, I saw the other day that tickets are available for 'An evening with John Barnes'! OMG! Are people so desperate for something to do that they are prepared to suffer that? Barnes must be one of the most overrated footballers ever and when I've had the misfortune to hear him on radio or TV, one of the most boring. There's no hope for mankind if John Barnes is now classed as 'entertainment'!

stripes39
03-08-2017, 12:46 PM
I can't fathom out where they pluck these salaries from in relation to who does what at the BBC. How does it work when you have a regular presenter on Breakfast TV who is clearly considered good enough to be on several days a week earning just over half what Shearer gets for MOTD per year? Would you stop watching it if Shearer and Lineker went to SKY? (who cares!)

I too fast forward all of the chatter from these people. What the BBC doesn't seem to realise is that the public watch MOTD to get their football fix and not to watch the presenters. People would watch it anyway without the need to have some smug smarmy ex player earning nearly £2M a year. The beeb is not as bad as Talk Sport though. Stopped listening to it ages ago. They drag ex players off the street for that channel, Ray Parlour or Tony Cascarino.....Really?

Albionic68
03-08-2017, 12:51 PM
All I know is there's just no need to see Gary Lineker in his boxer shorts on national TV.

Now we're talking B) .

https://www.sportskeeda.com/slideshow/football-the-top-10-hottest-female-football-presenters?imgid=7235&ModPagespeedFilters=

Q165
03-08-2017, 04:26 PM
When it comes to MOD I am yet another who always records and fast forwards.

Ex players can sometimes make half decent pundits. I think Michael Holding is excellent and is clearly intelligent, insightful and witty. Same goes for the very rarely seen Jeremy Coney.

Two ex footballers I have time for are Tony Gale and (though some may greatly disagree) Jamie Carragher. Sky do themselves no favours at all when they wheel out that former Villa player and the black guy who can't go more than a couple of sentences without saying 'yer na what I mean!'.

holmleighchris
03-08-2017, 04:55 PM
I record and fast forward them as well.
If they want to make points about the game they should join FootyMad.

WBA1955
03-08-2017, 04:56 PM
I'never'watch'them'either'Ketts,the'time'they'are' on'is'longer'than'the'game'itself.We'aren't'fools, we'all'know'what'we'have'seen.
MOTD'was'great'when'there'were'no'pundits.

Albionic68
03-08-2017, 05:01 PM
Jumpers for goal posts............

'football, what's it for?' :) .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-3dwjgoBts

Albionic68
03-08-2017, 05:05 PM
'Ron's' thoughts on Gary Lineker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4I1ye2gcEo

Joy_Division
04-08-2017, 04:05 PM
i only watch the Albion game on MOTD. I fast forward straight to the end usually as that is when we normally are screened and enjoy or not as the case may be about 2 to 3 minutes of football. I aint interested in Man Utd, Chelsea et al. I am certainly not interested in anything that politically correct smug git Lineker has to say or any other of the pundits. I don't even bother to break my neck
watch England anymore, even in the World Cup or European Championships. I put today's football on a par with ****ography. It is financially vile and corrupt and I hope it totally implodes and eats itself alive. Maybe I'll rekindle my interestif and when Im watching 22 players who play for the love of the game rather than the rewards it can give them.

phild
04-08-2017, 06:31 PM
As for football commentators I'd say Martin Tyler is rightfully the best ,his agueroooo moment ranks as one of the great bits of football commentary ever. With Jonathan Pierce being the absolute worst, his voice grates when a goal is scored. Mind ya I always liked Gerald Sinstadt but no one talks about him anymore not since his afternoon visit to a seedy cinema.

stripes39
04-08-2017, 09:27 PM
Isn't Jonathan Pierce an Albion fan?

mickd1961
04-08-2017, 09:36 PM
As for football commentators I'd say Martin Tyler is rightfully the best ,his agueroooo moment ranks as one of the great bits of football commentary ever. With Jonathan Pierce being the absolute worst, his voice grates when a goal is scored. Mind ya I always liked Gerald Sinstadt but no one talks about him anymore not since his afternoon visit to a seedy cinema.

I can't stand that bit of Aguerro commentary.

Sorry Martin but you're wrong....I've seen a good few moments that "I swear" were as good as that and non of them include Man City.

Nicky Reid at Wembley was streets ahead of that for me.

Newcy Wolf
04-08-2017, 10:53 PM
Bristol City. Apparently.

9goals2hattricks3pen
05-08-2017, 05:40 AM
Met Johnathan Pierce a few times as he is heavily involved in kids football in Sus***. He is an officer on the Junior FA and Chairman of a Kids team. Came across as a really nice guy who works hard for local grassroots footie. He did tell me The Hawthorns was one of his favourite grounds to visit.
And yes he is a Bristol City fan.