PDA

View Full Version : Captains this season

CLIVETHELEEDSFAN
03-08-2017, 11:11 AM
OK so who could be in line for captain or vice captain this season

Bridcutt is the current captain but is he a first choice midfielder this time, I'm not so sure

Cooper is currently vice captain but I'd hope to God he's not a regular this season

Giving it to jansson might be what he needs to stop getting needless yellow cards, his effort and attitude on the pitch imo would make him a good captain, he has great motivation too

We have a few very experienced players, green Wiedwald ayling berardi Okane Anita klich dallas hernandez and wood, all either experienced of this division or experienced in football or at least late 20s in age which in most cases puts them at their peak in the game, a great time for them to show their leadership skills

I don't think it could go to anyone else in our squad, it's likely to be one of the above mentioned I reckon, OK I've mentioned 13 players there which is about half our squad but it's great that there maybe that many options for it, last season we were a bit limited for captains, not so this season

spaldy
03-08-2017, 11:24 AM
Jansson is the most logical.

However, wood would be a close second for me.

I like Ayling's style. a quiet leader.

Silentman
03-08-2017, 04:16 PM
Captaincy can sometimes be a burden that some players can't deal with very well and it impacts on their game; only the boss will know which has the right character or not, so I'm afraid speculating on here is meaningless as none of us knows the players well enough to judge.

WTF11
03-08-2017, 04:33 PM
Ayling, Berardi

Ozwhites
03-08-2017, 06:22 PM
Captaincy can sometimes be a burden that some players can't deal with very well and it impacts on their game; only the boss will know which has the right character or not, so I'm afraid speculating on here is meaningless as none of us knows the players well enough to judge.

Clive, you need to stop creating threads to generate interest for the upcoming season...and for a bit of fun. It obviously upsets some of our contributors... 😐

CLIVETHELEEDSFAN
03-08-2017, 11:18 PM
Shameful of me isn't it Oz lol

costa_blanca_white
04-08-2017, 12:39 PM
Players are going to decide via a vote B)

WTF11
04-08-2017, 05:03 PM
Players are going to decide via a vote B)

F00KING STUPID, the manager selects the captain who is his eyes and ears on the pitch and his agent when he needs one there, and it sure as he'll ISN'T a f00king popularity contest.

Bonkers if true (as is reported elsewhere).

Blackspaven
04-08-2017, 06:37 PM
It'll be O'Kane.

Tichi1
05-08-2017, 11:53 AM
F00KING STUPID, the manager selects the captain who is his eyes and ears on the pitch and his agent when he needs one there, and it sure as he'll ISN'T a f00king popularity contest.

eeny meeny miny mo......I expect it will be Sako!

CLIVETHELEEDSFAN
05-08-2017, 01:38 PM
Tichi not bad for you that 1, good on ya

pete1967b
05-08-2017, 02:56 PM

It is true TC said it himself,

Cant see the problem with it myself, He wants someone who will be a starter most matches and someone who has the respect of other team mates,Well if you are being picked by others you will have the respect of them.

Doesnt matter if he isnt a so called leader there should be 18 of them every game.

Tichi1
05-08-2017, 04:39 PM
Tichi not bad for you that 1, good on ya

"Not bad for you Tichi"!!!!! - cheecky fecker!
It's 'cos I'm in a happy mood Clive - haven't seen much negativity on here recently LOL.

Been an interesting day to say the least though tody - more good news than bad again -
Your ex mate Scotty boy sent off again today :O
Tom Lees gives away the penalty that cost them ...not a good day for our ex defenders!O:)
Harry traitor Kewell's Crawley thumped:)
Monkeys Borough beaten by a defensive error LOL:
Reading found out at QPR - Good to see that t wat Stam looking even more miserable than usual...B)
Our old striker little Billy getting the blades off to a perfect start - Brentford are no ones mugs!
Fulham conceding with a couple of minutes to go ..good to see a draw there too

All we need is a thumping win tomorrow eh?

Happy days are here again I hope...:

Tichi1
05-08-2017, 04:43 PM
and ALF's rabble causing mayhem with the six fingered mob kicking off against their German rivals for the day - result - match abandoned - like the good old days of the seventies over in Bumley eh?

WTF11
05-08-2017, 05:34 PM
It is true TC said it himself,

Cant see the problem with it myself, He wants someone who will be a starter most matches and someone who has the respect of other team mates,Well if you are being picked by others you will have the respect of them.

Doesnt matter if he isnt a so called leader there should be 18 of them every game.

Respect isn't the same as popularity. You think Bremner or Strachan were liked by all the players they captained? No, but they weren't half respected.

Anyway, we'll see who wins the popularity contest and what kind of fist they make of it.

CromerWhite
06-08-2017, 12:36 PM
Respect isn't the same as popularity. You think Bremner or Strachan were liked by all the players they captained? No, but they weren't half respected.

Anyway, we'll see who wins the popularity contest and what kind of fist they make of it.

Out of curiosity how do you know they weren't liked, did you read it in someones autobiography?

Genuine question always looking out for a good read.

WTF11
06-08-2017, 01:12 PM
Out of curiosity how do you know they weren't liked, did you read it in someones autobiography?

Genuine question always looking out for a good read.

Ok, I wasn't suggesting that Bremner or Strachan weren't liked, I suggested that they weren't always liked by those played under them as captain (read "You Get Nowt For Coming Second" for some of Billys thoughts). Strachan voiced similar sentiments in interviews after he led the club to the league title in 91-92 (although probably with a sideways swipe at Ferguson) and McCallisters writings and interviews say much the same.

Being liked by your team mates is important, but being able to provide leadership, especially when its "blood and bullets" time, isn't about being popular (Maybe stretching a point, but has anyone here been in a squad where fast lead is flying at you? The squad clown might lift spirits when it's all over, but leadership is what will get you there).

CromerWhite
06-08-2017, 01:26 PM
Ok, I wasn't suggesting that Bremner or Strachan weren't liked, I suggested that they weren't always liked by those played under them as captain (read "You Get Nowt For Coming Second" for some of Billys thoughts). Strachan voiced similar sentiments in interviews after he led the club to the league title in 91-92 (although probably with a sideways swipe at Ferguson) and McCallisters writings and interviews say much the same.

Being liked by your team mates is important, but being able to provide leadership, especially when its "blood and bullets" time, isn't about being popular (Maybe stretching a point, but has anyone here been in a squad where fast lead is flying at you? The squad clown might lift spirits when it's all over, but leadership is what will get you there).

Never read it (you get nowt for coming second) will try and get hold of a copy.

Understand what say about leadership but not bothered by a vote, I would hope that the team also know what qualities a captain needs and will vote accordingly.

Will be interesting to see who gets the nod.

CromerWhite
06-08-2017, 01:38 PM
Personally I think Wood will get it.

Need's to be someone who plays regularly and he's got experience of captaining a team via his international duty with NZ.

Blackspaven
06-08-2017, 04:28 PM
Jesus, christiansen said you'll have your captain on Sunday. This is worrying!

LeedsFTW
06-08-2017, 06:06 PM
Good game by Coops today, Captains armband/player's choice could be the making of him.

WTF11
06-08-2017, 06:38 PM
Good game by Coops today, Captains armband/player's choice could be the making of him.

What, crocking a team mate and then having not the faintest idea if what to do, leaving your fellow defenders with gaps you should be filling, when we weren't exactly pressured by the opposition, yeah that's f00king inspirational.

BelfastAndy
06-08-2017, 06:41 PM
Coops?

LeedsFTW
06-08-2017, 07:10 PM
What, crocking a team mate and then having not the faintest idea if what to do, leaving your fellow defenders with gaps you should be filling, when we weren't exactly pressured by the opposition, yeah that's f00king inspirational.

Expect nothing less from you, everyone else gives Cooper the plaudits he deserved for a decent display but not you - your negativity is very, very tiresome.

magnificowhite
06-08-2017, 07:53 PM
I thought cooper did ok today.kept it simple don't blame him for either of the goals. To blame him for Berardi injury is just scrapping around for a reason to moan about him. Anyway it looks like someone else has taken up the mantle of giving away needless penalties.

CLIVETHELEEDSFAN
06-08-2017, 07:58 PM
I thought Pennington played well till his injury

Phillips supported wood really well today

Wood missed a couple but got one aswell

Alioski worked hard and got an assist

Okane looked good in bits

I was impressed that they realised against 3 big cbs normal corners wouldn't work so they got creative

Considering the injuries we got we deserved to win, looked quite decent attacking, definitely need some defensive reinforments after picking up these injuries

Really pleased with the win today, pleased for Phillips considering the unnecessary criticism he's recently received

Now let's knock out port vale

MOT!!!

norfolk white
06-08-2017, 07:58 PM
Personally cooper scares me to death, always waiting for his blunder, but thought he played well today, ayling should be captain, he was superb, the goalkeeper was poor, always rooted to his line at corners, bring back green.

CLIVETHELEEDSFAN
06-08-2017, 08:03 PM
Wiedwald has quicker distribution which I think has put him as number one, green is a better goalkeeper but Wiedwald fits TCs system better

norfolk white
06-08-2017, 08:14 PM
I'd rather have the goalkeeper than the distributor!

WTF11
06-08-2017, 08:15 PM
Expect nothing less from you, everyone else gives Cooper the plaudits he deserved for a decent display but not you - your negativity is very, very tiresome.

Cooper is not, never has, nor never will be captain material as long as he has a hole in his arsenal. "Decent" is not normally never has been equated with leadership and Cooper has about as much leadership quality as Quitting.

We played ok, against a newly promoted team, but if our defence is as nervous as today when we face the likes of Forest, QPR, Etc, we won't come away as Victor's.

CLIVETHELEEDSFAN
06-08-2017, 08:22 PM
Was Wiedwald really that bad? Or is it coz we highly rate green that it's the disappointment of him being dropped

norfolk white
06-08-2017, 08:34 PM
Just felt he was rooted to his line at corners, was in no man's land for first goal, I like to see a keeper command his area, maybe I'm going back to the good old days of dominant keepers.....grobbeler, Southall etc.....agree his distribution is good and probably keepers are expected to include this in their CV nowadays.

Jezleeds
06-08-2017, 09:13 PM
Just felt he was rooted to his line at corners, was in no man's land for first goal, I like to see a keeper command his area, maybe I'm going back to the good old days of dominant keepers.....grobbeler, Southall etc.....agree his distribution is good and probably keepers are expected to include this in their CV nowadays.

I agree. Thought he was on his line constantly and didn't give the defence confidence at all, hence the panic at times. I don't think Green is the answer either, unfortunately. Anyone that spends that much time on their hair before a game and makes the kinds of errors he makes, isn't the commanding goalkeeper that we need.

It's a bit of a Man City/Guardiola situation for me - you get rid of a calamity prone, over-confident homegrown goalkeeper who at least is a really good shot-stopper and organises those around him and replace him with a passive, reactive keeper who may be an excellent distributor but who appears to not be able to take the high ball.

I guess we will have to wait and see if he turns out to earn his stripes with better performances later - hopefully he will improve.

WTF11
06-08-2017, 09:13 PM
Was Wiedwald really that bad? Or is it coz we highly rate green that it's the disappointment of him being dropped

Yes, he was.

WTF11
07-08-2017, 11:28 AM
I agree. Thought he was on his line constantly and didn't give the defence confidence at all, hence the panic at times. I don't think Green is the answer either, unfortunately. Anyone that spends that much time on their hair before a game and makes the kinds of errors he makes, isn't the commanding goalkeeper that we need.

It's a bit of a Man City/Guardiola situation for me - you get rid of a calamity prone, over-confident homegrown goalkeeper who at least is a really good shot-stopper and organises those around him and replace him with a passive, reactive keeper who may be an excellent distributor but who appears to not be able to take the high ball.

I guess we will have to wait and see if he turns out to earn his stripes with better performances later - hopefully he will improve.

WTF??? "Calamity-prone"?????? How many clean sheets did Green keep last season? How many did Wideworld manage? Overconfident? As in he is a "really good shot stopper and organises those around him" overconfident? How much "organising" did you see Wideworld do? Talk about comparing chalk with cheese!

Ok, Wideworld is a Leeds player, but FFS why is it that "he's a Leeds player" always followed by "hopefully he will improve"? Bring back Silvestri as No.2 and make sure we get a decent, credible replacement for Green by the end of season.

CLIVETHELEEDSFAN
07-08-2017, 11:40 AM
Wtf you know Silvestri ain't coming back so that comment is a bit daft, you're basing Wiedwald on one game with a defence which isn't the defence which is likely to play regularly in a few games time, it's not like he's inexperienced is it, how many current championship gks were a number one gk in their team in a top division last season, the answer is not bloody many

WTF11
07-08-2017, 12:46 PM
Yes Clive, I know Silvestri isn't going to return, it was more a "this is how much I thought the comment from Jez was off the mark" kind of remark.

Wiedwald needs game time, with a defence in front of him that is stable, so give Green the job until the defence is sorted, at least then we have a guy who know what he's doing, with players he has greater familiarity with than Wiedwald, and then bring the guy in from time to time, building confidence and benefiting from a defence who have some stability and resilience, (which we didn't yesterday). It was significant that the players who delivered most yesterday tended to be from the stable of players from last season (Wood, Roofe, Hernandez, Ayling etc). I've said before that the sheer number of newcomers makes creating a team difficult, but even so, they need time to get to work as a unit, (even if we don't have any!)?

whitestomper45
07-08-2017, 12:55 PM
Green improved much over last season but then fell off at end. He didn't turn up in most of the big games, should be 2nd option, whether we have a decent No1 its too early. It was the arrival of Jansson that improved the defence, as Clive says that was a make shift back 4, that had to be changed 3 times during the match.. MOT

WTF11
07-08-2017, 01:09 PM
Green improved much over last season but then fell off at end. He didn't turn up in most of the big games, should be 2nd option, whether we have a decent No1 its too early. It was the arrival of Jansson that improved the defence, as Clive says that was a make shift back 4, that had to be changed 3 times during the match.. MOT

The whole team "fell off at the end" and as for "not turning up", errrr when exactly?

Wiedwald isn't in the same league as Green (literally) at present, and if he plays like he did yesterday when we face proper opponents, it won't be Leeds who get the 3 points. He might be the next great hope between the sticks, but he needs time (and a stable(ish) back four) before he should be expected to show us what he can do. (Can't believe I'm trying to be fair to the guy!)

whitestomper45
07-08-2017, 03:17 PM
The whole team "fell off at the end" and as for "not turning up", errrr when exactly?

Wiedwald isn't in the same league as Green (literally) at present, and if he plays like he did yesterday when we face proper opponents, it won't be Leeds who get the 3 points. He might be the next great hope between the sticks, but he needs time (and a stable(ish) back four) before he should be expected to show us what he can do. (Can't believe I'm trying to be fair to the guy!) So you're agreeing albeit half baked that his form dropped at end of season..chicken and egg was it his inconsistency at times that affected the back 4, or other way round. Newcastle home he was overwhelmed by the match and gave them a goal start, his panicky distribution didn't help, the game away to Burton at end that would almost certainly confirm our limping into play offs he didn't instill confidence ..two important matches for different reasons that stand-out. As said improved much for most of season, but not what we need this season.

WTF11
07-08-2017, 04:35 PM
So you're agreeing albeit half baked that his form dropped at end of season..chicken and egg was it his inconsistency at times that affected the back 4, or other way round. Newcastle home he was overwhelmed by the match and gave them a goal start, his panicky distribution didn't help, the game away to Burton at end that would almost certainly confirm our limping into play offs he didn't instill confidence ..two important matches for different reasons that stand-out. As said improved much for most of season, but not what we need this season.

Nothing half baked, simply suggesting that one man ( no matter who or what position they play) isn't responsible for the lack of form of an entire team. Without Green we would have been anywhere near the playoffs, end of.

And Wiedwald IS what we need this season (cos there isn't much else, especially if Green gets pi55ed off at playing second fiddle)?

whitestomper45
07-08-2017, 11:52 PM
Everyone should be peed off playing 2nd fiddle, demanding to be 1st choice is a different problem...

WTF11
08-08-2017, 07:14 AM
Everyone should be peed off playing 2nd fiddle, demanding to be 1st choice is a different problem...

Don't you EVER address the question asked? Do you believe that Wiedwald is what the team needs as No.1 choice as goalkeeper, yes or no?

Tichi1
08-08-2017, 11:36 AM
Don't you EVER address the question asked? Do you believe that Wiedwald is what the team needs as No.1 choice as goalkeeper, yes or no?

Thought you'd fecked off on a sabatical - or to watch Eastleigh FFS :(

whitestomper45
08-08-2017, 12:03 PM
Don't you EVER address the question asked? Do you believe that Wiedwald is what the team needs as No.1 choice as goalkeeper, yes or no? Green isn't in my opinion what we need to get promoted. Wiedwald, one game and your fkn moaning about him. Green didn't have the best debut at Loftus Road and te new guy distributes the ball the way the coach wants us to, and we looked alot better in the build up play. I'd expect Green to play v Vale and Felix back in for saturday

WTF11
08-08-2017, 12:48 PM
Thought you'd fecked off on a sabatical - or to watch Eastleigh FFS :(

Thanks for that insightful and valuable contribution to the thread, as valuable as always, :zzz::zzz::zzz:

WTF11
08-08-2017, 12:54 PM
Green isn't in my opinion what we need to get promoted. Wiedwald, one game and your fkn moaning about him. Green didn't have the best debut at Loftus Road and te new guy distributes the ball the way the coach wants us to, and we looked alot better in the build up play. I'd expect Green to play v Vale and Felix back in for saturday

Not one game, watch him in action if you want, he can be found if you dig. He was no better on Sunday than he was in the last few games at Bremen and as for distribution, FFS its not rocket science, no goalie (Green included) requires distribution skills akin to an outfield player. As for Sunday, it was largely down to pi55poor Bolton pressure on our defence/midfield that allowed Wiedwald to look any way competent, which he didn't when put under any kind of pressure. If that's the only thing Christiansen might have a worry about wrt Green, then its relatively easy to fix, (a damned sight easier than trying to fix the flappy, uninspiring performance we got from Wiedwald throughout Sundays game).

whitestomper45
08-08-2017, 01:21 PM
Not one game, watch him in action if you want, he can be found if you dig. He was no better on Sunday than he was in the last few games at Bremen and as for distribution, FFS its not rocket science, no goalie (Green included) requires distribution skills akin to an outfield player. As for Sunday, it was largely down to pi55poor Bolton pressure on our defence/midfield that allowed Wiedwald to look any way competent, which he didn't when put under any kind of pressure. If that's the only thing Christiansen might have a worry about wrt Green, then its relatively easy to fix, (a damned sight easier than trying to fix the flappy, uninspiring performance we got from Wiedwald throughout Sundays game). Yeah because Green never flapped at corners last season did he....especially against a big physical team on a wet pitch, without Magichatman and a 3 times changed defence....we won get over it and find something else to moan about

WTF11
08-08-2017, 02:03 PM
Yeah because Green never flapped at corners last season did he....especially against a big physical team on a wet pitch, without Magichatman and a 3 times changed defence....we won get over it and find something else to moan about

We were winning before Jansson appeared, we lost after he appeared, and we won after he appeared, he isn't, and wasn't a one man team!

We'll get "found out" a damned sight quicker this season if our new No.1 keeper performs like he did on Sunday, and for once, believe you me, I'll f00king well ram it down your throat that I told you so.

Tichi1
08-08-2017, 02:47 PM
We were winning before Jansson appeared, we lost after he appeared, and we won after he appeared, he isn't, and wasn't a one man team!

We'll get "found out" a damned sight quicker this season if our new No.1 keeper performs like he did on Sunday, and for once, believe you me, I'll f00king well ram it down your throat that I told you so.

Same old moaning tw at - you're bound to get something right at some point in your miserable life - so go ahead and RAM it where the sun don't shine.

First game of the season, away from home, new manager, new players, more attacking formation, we win......and all you can do is find something to whine about - If I recall correctly it was exactly the same story from you last season after the QPR game - only then we lost badly in no small way due to sh ite keeping by one Mr Green...

still as they say a leopard can't change it's spots - and a moaning old relic can't stop moaning..

CLIVETHELEEDSFAN
08-08-2017, 03:19 PM
Don't think it was a new formation, still 4231, just used with more width

whitestomper45
08-08-2017, 04:36 PM

Yep am sure you'll be creaming your pants and on here the minute we lose....no doubt about that

And just to shut you up (for now)...
Pontus missed 12 league games not signed/suspension/injury/not picked

P12 W4 D2 L6 Pts14 Avg 1.167

With Magichatman

P 34 W18 D7 L9 Pts61 Avg 1.79

Now Mr Knowitall.....which of the above stats do you consider are considerably better

WTF11
08-08-2017, 05:13 PM
Yep am sure you'll be creaming your pants and on here the minute we lose....no doubt about that

And just to shut you up (for now)...
Pontus missed 12 league games not signed/suspension/injury/not picked

P12 W4 D2 L6 Pts14 Avg 1.167

With Magichatman

P 34 W18 D7 L9 Pts61 Avg 1.79

Now Mr Knowitall.....which of the above stats do you consider are considerably better

FFS man, I DIDN'T suggest he didn't contribute, just that he, like any other single player, DOESN'T MAKE A TEAM!!!!!!!!

Lies, damned lies, and statistics, capable of being used and abused for whatever purpose.

whitestomper45
08-08-2017, 09:13 PM
FFS man, I DIDN'T suggest he didn't contribute, just that he, like any other single player, DOESN'T MAKE A TEAM!!!!!!!!

Lies, damned lies, and statistics, capable of being used and abused for whatever purpose.

No but maybe cut the keeper some slack...in his first game, a makeshift defence that was made more makeshift as changed 3 times due to injury, missing our Iconic defender (and Bartley) who definitely improves the defence ...wasn't world beating but we won an awkward match.

CLIVETHELEEDSFAN
08-08-2017, 11:14 PM
He was at fault for one goal but you can't blame him for the penalty, his distribution was good and it set us going on some of our attacks, give the guy a chance, he ain't a bloody novice and when pontus and gaetano are back it should be a much better scenario