PDA

View Full Version : Another fan gone

SCOOP115
03-08-2017, 05:20 PM
My mates dad passed away today after going up the Albion since about the forties until the middle of last season. Those were the days when him and his mates would go to the Albion one week and then down witton to see the other lot the nest week - until they saw the lght !

His favourite football saying - " Ray Barlow - The finest wing half ever to lace up a pair of football boots"

Rest in peace Bill We'll miss you

effbee
06-08-2017, 01:40 PM
It was adisgrace Ray Barlow wa

mickd1961
06-08-2017, 02:27 PM
It was adisgrace Ray Barlow wa

Has our "95 year old" poster dropped off the perch mid sentence I wonder!?

Q165
06-08-2017, 02:54 PM
My mates dad passed away today after going up the Albion since about the forties until the middle of last season. Those were the days when him and his mates would go to the Albion one week and then down witton to see the other lot the nest week - until they saw the lght !

His favourite football saying - " Ray Barlow - The finest wing half ever to lace up a pair of football boots"

My Dad told me that when he was young he would go to the Albion one week and the Villa the next. I could never understand this. As a young kid the mere thought of going anywhere near Villa Park would make me shudder.

Similarly, he also considered Ray Barlow to be one the finest players he ever saw.

mickd1961
06-08-2017, 03:15 PM
My Dad told me that when he was young he would go to the Albion one week and the Villa the next. I could never understand this. As a young kid the mere thought of going anywhere near Villa Park would make me shudder.

Similarly, he also considered Ray Barlow to be one the finest players he ever saw.

My dad played at schools level against Derek Kevan in Yorkshire and although my dad was very highly rated as a young ****ager he said that Kevan was streets ahead of everyone else he ever played against.

Most older Albion fans I know either go for Ray Barlow or Ronnie Allen and the sixties vintage wax lyrical about Bobby Hope and Chippy Clarke but I personally saw neither play.

An old neighbour I had as a kid raved about Jessie Pennington.

My favourite will always be Willie Johnston but Robson and Cunningham were his equal in ability.

In terms of a player being imperious compared to his Albion team mates at the level the team were at at that period then Sneekes was in another world and Gera was on another planet compared to his fellow players in our first Prem campaign.

Albionic68
06-08-2017, 03:16 PM

Sorry to hear of yours and your mate's loss Scoop.

RIP Bill.

holmleighchris
06-08-2017, 04:58 PM
My dad always said Ray Barlow was the best player we had. I would have seen him when I was young but can't say I can recall his, or any of the players attributes. Derek Kevan was my first favourite player.
A little over 30 years since my dad passed. Time certainly flies by. His name was Bill also.
I had an uncle who would go to Wolves, Blues or Albion. Always went to one of them. Never went to the Villa though.

WBA1955
06-08-2017, 05:37 PM
I'think'Effbee'was'going'to'say'it'was'a'disgrace' he'only'got'one'England'cap.Barlow'was'Bobby'Moore s'boyhood'hero.

Q165
06-08-2017, 07:45 PM
I seem to recall that Ray was overlooked as Jimmy Dickinson was always picked.

Derek Kevan was my boyhood hero and I was distraught when they sold him. I had a mate who played in the Birmingham Works League and he told me about coming up against Kevan playing for Ansells, I think. He was getting on by that time but played in midfield controlling the game.

holmleighchris
07-08-2017, 05:55 AM
In 1982/83 I arranged a Charity match between the local team I played for and an Albion Old Boys Xl at the ground of Gloucester City. Torrential rain meant the City called the game off on the Wednesday before. We arranged it again for mid March and the game went ahead. Kevan, although ageing took part. i, however, wasn't there. I had a knee problem and went into hospital on the Monday before the match for a biopsy. They kept you in for 10 days after any op back then. I've had my knee joint replaced twice since then. The last time I was home within 3 days!

mickd1961
07-08-2017, 09:49 AM
In 1982/83 I arranged a Charity match between the local team I played for and an Albion Old Boys Xl at the ground of Gloucester City. Torrential rain meant the City called the game off on the Wednesday before. We arranged it again for mid March and the game went ahead. Kevan, although ageing took part. i, however, wasn't there. I had a knee problem and went into hospital on the Monday before the match for a biopsy. They kept you in for 10 days after any op back then. I've had my knee joint replaced twice since then. The last time I was home within 3 days!

I went out with Archie Styles daughter Kerry for over a year in the 79-80 era Chris!

I played in some parks matches with Archie and his son Dean "Nobby" Styles,Archie was 40 then but had obviously been a very good player........he was also a very nice bloke as well.