PDA

View Full Version : Hecky... "I've not been looking for a new club "

EastStandRed
04-08-2017, 12:09 PM
Paul Heckingbottom insists he has never looked for another club, and has put 'barriers in place' to warn off potential rival employers – but says he would leave Oakwell if the right opportunity came up.

The Reds' head coach, 40, has forged an excellent reputation in the game by taking his hometown club to promotion within months of his first managerial role then finishing an impressive 14th last season despite operating with one of the smallest budgets in the Championship.

He has been openly frustrated with goings-on behind the scenes recently – particularly the slow progress in recruiting players – but insists he is approaching the season which starts tomorrow with no thoughts of moving.

He told the Chronicle: "I can honestly say I have not been looking for a new club at any point. I have not put myself in any situation where I have wanted to move on, at all. In fact, I have put barriers around me to deflect that.

"Even when I have been frustrated and not agreed with decisions made at the club, I haven't put myself out there. The first person I would tell if I wanted to leave would be Patrick (Cryne, the owner). But it hasn't entered my head.
"Would I move on? Yeah, of course I would if it was the right club for me, but it's not interesting me. I am probably one of the few coaches or managers who thinks like that and people will probably laugh at me, but that is how I am. If it happens, it happens.

"As long as I can see us getting somewhere and people are listening to me a bit more and wanting to do what I want to do, then I am happy here."

Barnsley Chronicle

Ponte_Steve24
04-08-2017, 12:17 PM
You don't say what he said after the Rotherham defeat...basically back me or sack me if your working relationship with the powers that be (including Patrick Cryne) is honky dory.

tiggertyke
04-08-2017, 02:10 PM
Just watched Hecky's interview from yesterday and it don't look good. His body language is all wrong for someone who is settled and I can understand why.
The players are wanting to come to Barnsley to be put in the shop window, not to see what they can achieve with our club.
I can understand the business model, but without ambition whats the point. I feel that we were so close before the January transfer window I could taste another trip to Wembley. The suits bottled it in my opinion. I can sympathize with health issues and I really appreciate all that has been done for this club, but, Hecky has worked wonders since he took over and to have his team broken up at such a ***** point I can't see how he can get over it. Then to be expected to do it again and again how disheartening must that feel.
If the players could feel ambition they would want to stay and build a settled team. Then again that would clog the conveyer belt wouldn't it. (or for ex miners, a lump stuck int shuit).

animallittle3
04-08-2017, 04:07 PM
The daft thing is , if we have a really good season and finish in a comfortable position then the chances of Hecky remaining here become concerning .

Someone will take note of the budget he's working with and that will be that .

Can't win can we ?