PDA

View Full Version : MATCH DAY POST: The Mighty Blades v Brentford

Not_A_Cheat
05-08-2017, 06:19 AM
So at last football returns, and I'm sure most of us are delighted to be kicking off at home with the visit of Brentford to BDBL. Brentford finished the season very well last term, and though not one of the most 'glamorous' teams in the Championship they have some very good players which they've held on too. This will indeed be an intriguing test, and a great chance to see how we'll compete against an accomplished Championship side. However opening day fixtures can often throw up results which do not necessarily herald what will be going forward......

SO.....

Any team news? :)

Ched and Baldock not quite ready for first team action?

Moore definitely out so Blackman will make his debut?

How will the quartet of signings, Thomas, Stevens, Stearman and Lundstram be introduced into the side? All starting? (Doubtful obviosuly :) )

Will the Beard be anywhere to be seen?

Really looking forward to the match today. Being over 2000 miles away means my only chance is via a stream, but hopefully the match day chatroom will be also be available. Having watched the Sunderland v Derby match last night I didn't see anything to fear, but perhaps opening night fixture and 2 teams cancelling each other out was the reason for that.

Can't see us being quite so lethargic though and pretty sure we'll make a good attacking display. Have major concerns about the defence though with a young Goalkeeper making his debut. Of course Chelsea are no mugs so any player they have is likely to be 'up to it'. Anyway, hopefully we start as we finished last season, and I predict a repeat of that result... 3-2 Blades win..

UTCB

rodcurrie
05-08-2017, 06:45 AM
So at last football returns, and I'm sure most of us are delighted to be kicking off at home with the visit of Brentford to BDBL. Brentford finished the season very well last term, and though not one of the most 'glamorous' teams in the Championship they have some very good players which they've held on too. This will indeed be an intriguing test, and a great chance to see how we'll compete against an accomplished Championship side. However opening day fixtures can often throw up results which do not necessarily herald what will be going forward......

SO.....

Any team news? :)

Ched and Baldock not quite ready for first team action?

Moore definitely out so Blackman will make his debut?

How will the quartet of signings, Thomas, Stevens, Stearman and Lundstram be introduced into the side? All starting? (Doubtful obviosuly :) )

Will the Beard be anywhere to be seen?

Really looking forward to the match today. Being over 2000 miles away means my only chance is via a stream, but hopefully the match day chatroom will be also be available. Having watched the Sunderland v Derby match last night I didn't see anything to fear, but perhaps opening night fixture and 2 teams cancelling each other out was the reason for that.

Can't see us being quite so lethargic though and pretty sure we'll make a good attacking display. Have major concerns about the defence though with a young Goalkeeper making his debut. Of course Chelsea are no mugs so any player they have is likely to be 'up to it'. Anyway, hopefully we start as we finished last season, and I predict a repeat of that result... 3-2 Blades win..

UTCBI watched the Mackem game last night also,and whilst i agree there was little to be scared of,it's still very early yet(obvs)I think today will be a very good game and should be a big test for us.Happy Openin day to BLADES(True or otherwise)where ever they may be,i'm goin for a 2-1 win.UTCB

bulmer1889
05-08-2017, 06:57 AM
Going for 2-2 today but obviously hoping for a win these will be a good gauge I feel as they will be up there in the top half,I hope we can do what Barnsley did who had momentum last yr and not Wigan who won the league !

You're probably a member not a cheat but in case you aren't and for any others all games are streamed on Facebook through the group Sheffield united fans live

Ayamonteblade
05-08-2017, 07:30 AM
Its finally arrived - been a long wait this time with no play-offs :D Personally I'm very happy with our transfer business and look forward to seeing how this new, stronger squad settles into life in the Championship.

Have a great time all that are going - hopefully you will see a 2-0 win for the Mighty Blades :D

BlockD
05-08-2017, 07:45 AM
Happy new season boys and girls,I'm confident of a United victory today

Blade for Life
05-08-2017, 08:19 AM
At last we are finally here. A real good test today against a very good team. I am totally confident in Tufty and think he is as good as any manager in the division. I am sure he will use what happens to day to look where to spend the rest of is transfer budget. I agree with 2-2 as Brentford are good up top.

boltonblade
05-08-2017, 08:32 AM
Buzzing for today. The sun is shining and everything seems right about it. Have a great day all. Let's see the Blades bring it home.

CHIPBUTTYBLADE
05-08-2017, 09:03 AM
Good to be back Mr NAC.

So hard to predict this game,lets hope the standin C/H what they play for the banned Harlee Dean has a sh!tter.

Hope Basham continue's his great form from the second part of last season.

Billy looks Sharp.

Dont let the adrenalin take over in the early part of the game,keep it tight and let them make the mistakes.

I'm going for a daft scoreline 5-3 to United :O

Blade for Life
05-08-2017, 02:41 PM
New season same Billy, get in

Cognomen
05-08-2017, 02:44 PM
Indeed. Solid finish on it.

GuancheBlade
05-08-2017, 02:58 PM
Half time iFollow report all the way from Manchester (sorry, Mumbai!)...

Incredible atmosphere off the pitch, even game on it. The step up in pace from League 1 is pretty substantial.

Coutts our best player so far, keeping us ticking over. Notable mentions for the endeavour of Stevens and some good interplay from Sharp/Carruthers. Bash continuing where he left off last season. Missed the bleeding goal thanks to the shocking buffering I'm getting on iFollow so can't comment on that.

Any concerns? Well if Brentford actually came out of 2nd gear they could easily score as we look vulnerable at the back against their pace and movement. Freeman not quite clicking into gear yet and Fleck looks a bit lightweight in the middle and getting overrun somewhat.

All in all hoping for more of the same but we have to be very wary of how Brentford may play in this second half as our players will inevitably tire quicker.

BTW new kit looks class on the box.

Derryblade
05-08-2017, 03:58 PM
Great three points always good to start with a win well done Blades.

Cognomen
05-08-2017, 03:59 PM
...but we have to be very wary of how Brentford may play in this second half as our players will inevitably tire quicker.

Spot on with this. I was hoping it wouldn't be that obvious, but it was. The last 20 minutes were ugly, and I reckon it had a lot to do with our side tiring.

But we'll take it!

Blade for Life
05-08-2017, 04:21 PM
A good old Sheffield double, I expect an oinker free night on here.

FatherKnowsBest
05-08-2017, 04:28 PM
A good old Sheffield double, I expect an oinker free night on here.

They were robbed by the ref, oh and did you know, they took a massive support to Preston. Massive.

Blade for Life
05-08-2017, 05:02 PM
They were robbed by the ref, oh and did you know, they took a massive support to Preston. Massive. The truth is they were battered second half and poor. That comes from someone who was there. Pressure mounts on Carlos.

GuancheBlade
05-08-2017, 05:27 PM
iFollow full time report...

There isn't one as it was like watching a flip in slow motion with 4 pages out of every 5 missing. Really poor. Angry email being drafted shortly.

From what I could make out one if not both the offside goals were onside.