PDA

View Full Version : Ratings Vs Coventry

Mcswegan
05-08-2017, 06:10 PM
Collins 7 - Thought he played well, commanded his area better than year, saved a couple of 1-on-1s. Can't be faulted for any of the goals.
Jones 1 - Oh dear. When I'm thinking about bringing on Hollis to replace someone, you know they've had a mare. Stood 3 yds off the player for the first goal allowing him to score with ease. Caught in no-mans land for the 2nd (and not making much effort to get back) and 3rd goal coming from his poor free kick and then once again not tracking a runner. Carl Dickenson, don't hang up your boots just yet.
Brisley 5 - Average. Couple of errors. Perhaps should have provided better cover.
Duffy 5 - Seemed to struggle for first 15 mins, then was average.
Tootle 6 - Did well, at least showed some urgency and effort to get the team going
Alessandra 5 - I think he will do well, but first touch let him down too much. Didn;t make any impact upstairs. Also not sure playing him on left works, as he cuts in EVERY time and becomes predictable.
Hewitt 4 - Capable understood, should not be a starter. Doesn't really offer anything -no creativity, no real defensive nous
Walker 5 - Better than Hewitt and tried to play a bit. Surprised he was taken off ahead of Hewitt.
Hawkridge 5 - Did his job, but didn't get the ball out to him enough
Stead 4 - Generally poor. No movement and poor touch.
Ameobe 5 - Did what he does

----------

Grant - 6 - Provided a bit of spark.
Milsom 5 - Average.

Very little entertainment on show. Lets hope it was just a bad start, because that performance was far too reminiscent of the terrible 75% of last season, rather than the good 25%.

Elite_Pie
05-08-2017, 06:29 PM
I can't offer any worthwhile player ratings because it took me a long time to work out exactly who was who, not helped by the invisible shirt numbers. Plus I hate watching games from behind the goal, give me the halfway line any day. Collin was my MOM as no other player was any better than average, he was left badly exposed by a very poor defence. When you consider we can't defend, and offered little in the way of attacking threat, things aren't looking good.

i961pie
05-08-2017, 06:41 PM
I can't offer any worthwhile player ratings because it took me a long time to work out exactly who was who, not helped by the invisible shirt numbers. Plus I hate watching games from behind the goal, give me the halfway line any day. Collin was my MOM as no other player was any better than average, he was left badly exposed by a very poor defence. When you consider we can't defend, and offered little in the way of attacking threat, things aren't looking good.

Well considering we haven't been able to defend for over 5 seasons and every man and his dog knows (except our last 5/6 managers) that we need a couple of decent central defenders it is not surprising.

Frigiliana Pie 1
05-08-2017, 06:49 PM
A very disappointing afternoon. For me, only Duffy and Hewitt enhanced their reputations and none of the new signings stood out. 3-0 was perhaps a little harsh, but there's no doubt the better side won.

The partnership of Stead and Ameobi up front wasn't working - both are good players at League 2 level, but both need someone more mobile alongside them. If we can't get another striker in by deadline day, then I can foresee a switch to 4-5-1.

I know it's only the first game, but based on this performance, my prediction of 9th place is looking very optimistic.

Agree with Elite's comment about the shirt numbers.

SmiffyPie
05-08-2017, 07:08 PM
Well considering we haven't been able to defend for over 5 seasons and every man and his dog knows (except our last 5/6 managers) that we need a couple of decent central defenders it is not surprising.Can't get my head around the fact that we have not sorted this problem years ago!!! Surely to F... it is universal knowledge that if you don't concede you don't lose??? Never mind a WOW friggin goal scorer, sort the bloody defence out ffs!!
And before all the AH kiss arses jump on board, money spent on Ilkeston/4 friggin G (or whatever it is) Ladies and whatever else would have been much better spent of a couple of good defenders.
(But of course, and quite rightly, it's his money and he can do what the hell he likes with it)

Robertomac
05-08-2017, 07:20 PM
Stead's first touch was bad - that said, a lot of players seemed to have a pretty shocking first touch, particularly first half.

countygump
05-08-2017, 07:39 PM
Stead's first touch was bad - that said, a lot of players seemed to have a pretty shocking first touch, particularly first half.

For all you punishment gluttons...............

http://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/10976170/coventry-3-0-notts-county

countygump
05-08-2017, 07:45 PM
Rabbits in the headlights...........

http://www.nottinghampost.com/sport/football/notts-county-were-rabbits-caught-285829

SmiffyPie
05-08-2017, 08:09 PM
Bloody hell fire flames!!!! Pub team defending.

Trickytreesreds
05-08-2017, 08:14 PM
For all you punishment gluttons...............

http://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/10976170/coventry-3-0-notts-county

Jesus wept, that's shocking

jackal2
05-08-2017, 08:16 PM
Dan Jones looked like a poor player in a good team during the Munto season when he came on loan. It doesn't look like he's improved any on today's evidence. Still, not to worry, we've got Carl Dickinson as cover! :s

Robertomac
05-08-2017, 08:22 PM
Dan Jones looked like a poor player in a good team during the Munto season when he came on loan. It doesn't look like he's improved any on today's evidence. Still, not to worry, we've got Carl Dickinson as cover! :s

I thought he was poor first time round also, but am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt... if today's performance is anything to go on, my willingness is set to be tested.

DomdomPie
05-08-2017, 08:34 PM
I'm actually pleased that Nolan describes it in such harsh terms as "rabbits in the headlights". He's not making any excuses. He knows things have to change.

navypie
05-08-2017, 09:20 PM
Took the cable car up Mont Blanc today , absolutely amazing, then Notts brought me down with a bump ,

rorylee
05-08-2017, 09:33 PM
Rabbits in the headlights...........

http://www.nottinghampost.com/sport/football/notts-county-were-rabbits-caught-285829

“They have a lot of experienced pros in their team and they really showed."

Interesting when you consider our starting XI had over 700 league appearances more then Coventry. Only 6 of their team are in triple figure appearances whilst we 'boast' 9 players who have done that. I don't buy that excuse.

Also, I'm still pro Nolan - just hate flimsy excuses being put up.

Right - beer!

Robertomac
05-08-2017, 09:55 PM
Took the cable car up Mont Blanc today , absolutely amazing, then Notts brought me down with a bump ,

The skyway?

uysapie
05-08-2017, 10:16 PM
I'm actually pleased that Nolan describes it in such harsh terms as "rabbits in the headlights". He's not making any excuses. He knows things have to change.

He signed the players and chose the team and tactics so it's down to him.

tarquinbeech
05-08-2017, 10:22 PM

I have now removed you from my "Room 101".....unbarred or debarred?....where's Sid when you need him?

PS....not sure how Collin made MOM?......conceded 3 goals and still proceeded to hoof it up the pitch like a Rugby player, Garry Owen, on steroids.

I'm guessing the others were far worse?

Freeman25
05-08-2017, 10:56 PM
He handled some dangerous crosses/freekicks well, dealt with a 1 on 1 from a freekick in the first half when our defence seemed like they couldn't be bothered or just didn't understand that Coventry were about to play a ball into our box and yeah, the rest were far worse, Shola did alright I thought but unfortunately the only player he could put through on goal was Jon Stead each time.

tarquinbeech
05-08-2017, 11:00 PM
He handled some dangerous crosses/freekicks well, dealt with a 1 on 1 from a freekick in the first half when our defence seemed like they couldn't be bothered or just didn't understand that Coventry were about to play a ball into our box and yeah, the rest were far worse, Shola did alright I thought but unfortunately the only player he could put through on goal was Jon Stead each time.

OK..I concede, despite letting in 3 goals and hoofing the ball forward like a looney on crack....he was the best player?

I need a ****-load more beers!

ps I'm not saying you're wrong.....but our goalie that lets in 3 is MOM???......give me strength

Freeman25
05-08-2017, 11:04 PM
He was hoofing the ball up to Ameobi, what would you expect him to do? You realise that's the gameplan and he's not just doing whatever he feels like each time he has the ball? He also did an excellent throw to or just past the halfway line to start a counter in the second half too

Elite_Pie
05-08-2017, 11:16 PM
I have now removed you from my "Room 101".....unbarred or debarred?....where's Sid when you need him?

I'm sure I can make my way back in there!

PS....not sure how Collin made MOM?

Collin was the victim of being left exposed by a very fragile defence. He probably only rated 6.5/10, but that was more than enough to see off the rest of the team.

tarquinbeech
05-08-2017, 11:42 PM
[QUOTE=Elite_Pie;38610849]I'm sure I can make my way back in there!

I'm sure you will......in the meantime, enjoy your freedom....get laid, drink some beer.....run naked in the late summer rain, just a suggestion

ps DON'T send any pics....not sure I could take the excitement!

Piethagoram
06-08-2017, 06:41 AM
Based on a mean of 5

Collin 6 - Normally a critic of Collin, but did seem to be more commanding of his area. Thought he was slow to read their first but fault lay with Jones. He saved a couple of 1-on-1s but still feel he was outshown by his opposite in the Coventry goal

Jones 1 - A mare, in simplistic terms. I was nonplussed on his return, rather like the signing of Idle, and the 100k + blown away....Whether it's lack of concentration or failure to accept responsibility. How can our recruitment, swing from finding a gem like Bola to return to Dickinson's bargain basement in talent.

Brisley 5 - Just very average. Yes, a few errors

Duffy 5 - Normal service resumed...difficult opening but was just OK

Tootle 6 - Best of the back 4 ... at least he showed some fight

Hewitt 2 Nolan says he's not a Right Back....agreed...but he ain't a centre mid. Long throws, don't make me laugh, barely made the outside of the penalty box. Zero creativity, zero tackling ability..and we gave him a 2 year contract? Centre Half only possible position open to him..

Alessandra 5 & Hawkridge 5 - Recruitment is everything, Coventry identified Jodi Jones, from Dagenham, just streets ahead of our 2 wingers.

Walker 6 - Thought he looked tidy and was unlucky to be subbed

Stead 3 - whether the legs are going, a la Jason Lee....no impact

Ameobi 5 - Holds ball well with back to goal and some nice lay offs...but no goal threat

----------

Grant - 6 - Should have been introduced earlier

Milsom 5 - Just OK

navypie
06-08-2017, 07:07 AM
Cable car mate , Aiguille du midi ( hope I have spelt that correct otherwise I will have the boards police on my back ) no walking down from the half way station or so I am told there is a train that makes its way down which apparently is also amazing . 60 euros and worth every penny . By the way , 60 euros might get you a burger and a couple of beers in Chamonix !!

St Kitts Magpie
06-08-2017, 07:56 AM
“They have a lot of experienced pros in their team and they really showed."

Interesting when you consider our starting XI had over 700 league appearances more then Coventry. Only 6 of their team are in triple figure appearances whilst we 'boast' 9 players who have done that. I don't buy that excuse.

Also, I'm still pro Nolan - just hate flimsy excuses being put up.

Right - beer!

I noticed that comment too. Notts made them look good.

Robertomac
06-08-2017, 08:04 AM
Cable car mate , Aiguille du midi ( hope I have spelt that correct otherwise I will have the boards police on my back ) no walking down from the half way station or so I am told there is a train that makes its way down which apparently is also amazing . 60 euros and worth every penny . By the way , 60 euros might get you a burger and a couple of beers in Chamonix !!

Try going through the tunnel to Courmayeur on the Italian side and go up the Skyway - that's worth every penny... unlike Notts yesterday!

Estebandejesus
06-08-2017, 09:23 AM
I noticed that comment too. Notts made them look good.

What is really worrying is the clear lack of goals in the side. This is more concerning than the defensive frailties. We are looking at maybe 50 league goals at best and conceding 65 plus. It is hard to understand why these critical issues were not addressed in the summer.

durhampie
06-08-2017, 09:33 AM
OK..I concede, despite letting in 3 goals and hoofing the ball forward like a looney on crack....he was the best player?

I need a ****-load more beers!

ps I'm not saying you're wrong.....but our goalie that lets in 3 is MOM???......give me strength

Collins was by far our best player and deserved to be MOTM. To date I have seen nothing from this shower to suggest anything but another season of struggle. Apart from Grant all of our signings are either verging on being very average or just plain crap.
We missed a huge opportunity in the the close season to clear the decks of all the rubbish and rebuild. As the old saying goes, You cant make a silk purse out of a cows ear...As for the Wow facture, Youre having a laugh....

navypie
06-08-2017, 09:47 AM
Try going through the tunnel to Courmayeur on the Italian side and go up the Skyway - that's worth every penny... unlike Notts yesterday!

Just spending a couple of days in Les Houces mate , about 6km from Chamonix then of back to Geneva but plan to return before I come home so thanks for the suggestion, I might give it a go .

jackal2
06-08-2017, 11:35 AM

It is. Kevin Nolan decided who to release and sign up during the summer, and yesterday we saw "his" team. It looked poor.

LaxtonLad
06-08-2017, 01:10 PM

If he picks the same team and tries the same tactics next Saturday I think we may well hear the return of the booing so justifiably earned last year.

tarquinbeech
06-08-2017, 01:20 PM
Tuesday night should be interesting.....my initial thoughts were that they would be using the Caraboa as a "friendly" for a look at the bench-warmers.....but now after the 3-0 Covo loss, KN needs to use it to find a decent team for next Saturday.

I want another look at Walker, Jorge from the start, both wingers plus Forte and possibly Saunders up front (the aging twosome will probably be knackered) ....plus, please can we get the keeper (possibly Fitz) to throw it out to the backs and not lump it forward.

Freeman25
06-08-2017, 02:10 PM
Tuesday night should be interesting.....my initial thoughts were that they would be using the Caraboa as a "friendly" for a look at the bench-warmers.....but now after the 3-0 Covo loss, KN needs to use it to find a decent team for next Saturday.

I want another look at Walker, Jorge from the start, both wingers plus Forte and possibly Saunders up front (the aging twosome will probably be knackered) ....plus, please can we get the keeper (possibly Fitz) to throw it out to the backs and not lump it forward.

Fitz said his best attribute (worryingly) was his kicking so why do you think he'll offer any different to Adam Collin? Collin is the only keeper we've had since Kasper that I've seen use an over hand throw to get the ball to a player so he could obviously throw it out short if needed to or if that was the request of the manager, it clearly isn't.