PDA

View Full Version : United 1 Brentford 0 - report

Deadbat_DB
05-08-2017, 10:52 PM
United returned to the Championship after 6 years and marked it with a victory thanks to Billy Sharp’s first half headed. The Blades hit the woodwork twice and had two goals disallowed but also were thankful to the bar at their own end and two super saves from debutant Jamal Blackburn. United played good football at times against a dangerous Brentford side who had a lot of the ball themselves. Overall, the home side will be happy with a determined, battling display that saw them take the three points against a side you would wager will be nearer the top than the bottom at the end of the season end.

The Blades began with debuts for Blackman, Stevens and Stearman as skipper Billy Sharp led the now traditional huddle pre-game. Brentford were in their new green change strip but it was the Blades who began better in bright sunshine. They forced the Bees back and won a free kick and a corner. O’Connell facing his former club made a telling interception at the other end but it was certainly the home side who was on the front foot. Clarke and Carruthers linked well to win another corner that was cleared but then Vibe had the best effort of the game as Jota came inside after Fleck lost the ball and fed Vibe but his shot was saved from Blackman tipping over.

Stevens sent a cross over after good work from Coutts and Carruthers but Clarke could not head the purchase on his header. At the other end Jota caused problems again but miscued his shot when he stole space in the area. United were looking comfortable on the ball though and after another nice move they nearly scored. The ball eventually found Stevens and his shot took a slight deflection but cannoned back off the post with Bentley well beaten. It was a let off the visitors.

United continued to come onto Brentford and Coutts and Freeman linked well but the cross was blocked before Basham went down in the box but his appeals were turned away. Coutts than had another effort blocked before a last ditch tackled stopped Clarke getting in. Soon after this the opening goal game. From a corner, the ball was transferred back in from the left but Clarke wildly miscued his first effort. However, the big striker turned and chipped over an inviting cross that evaded the defence and SHARP powered a header into the net despite Bentley getting a glove on it. Cue delirium from all sides of the ground save for the following in the lower tier from West London. Sharp had opened his account for the season after just 39 minutes.

Not long after the striker went down after a clash of heads with defender Egan and both had to have treatment and when play restarted the pair were sporting white bandages. Half time came soon after with a hearty round of applause from the United fans for the teams’ efforts.

The second half saw United come on strong once again with a number of chances to add to the lead. Clarke managed to wrestle away from his defenders and his cross came in but Sharp could not get the power on the header. Jota’s low shot was well saved from Blackman down low but United came again.

Stearman knocked it back into the box after a corner had not been cleared and Clarke got in and managed to poke the ball high into the net but the flag went up. It seemed a tight call a few Brentford defenders had no idea it was offside judging by their reaction.

Soon after United had the ball in the net again. Carruthers was tripped after a driving run and from the resulting free kick the ball was back heeled to Fleck who hit a superb effort that hit the base of the post and was put in by Sharp instinctively on the rebound but the flag went up. This one seemed more obvious that the Clarke one.

Watkins and Yennaris came on for Mokotjo and Jozefzoon as Dean Smith looked for new life from his side.

Fleck then shot wide as United looked to get the ***** second goal but at the other end Brentford who had not really been in the game second half had a series of opportunities in one moment.

Firstly, Jota was allowed to drift inside and hit a powerful shot that Blackman saved superbly but the rebound seemed set to be converted by Yennaris but his header hit the bar and then when it came back into play Vibe somehow headed over from only a few years. The latter had seemed offside but the flag stayed down and thus was a guilt edged miss. A real let off for United.

O’Connell made a great block from Vibe after a slide rule pass set him through and then Clarke again caused problems before winning a corner at the other end. Lundstram made his home bow replacing Carruthers as the game has become more stretched and Wilder wanted more solidity in this area.

Lavery came on for Sharp for United and Maupay replaced McEachran for Brentford. The new man for the Bees almost got in as Woods beat the offside trap but Blackman got his angles and his run from goal spot on as he blocked the strikers shot and then smothered the rebound. A superb save again as Brentford went close once again to a leveller. At the other end Clarke and Lavery combined but the latter shot was well off target when well placed. The game entered the final stages and United were now throwing bodies in the way and both Basham and Stearman made good blocks. An additional three minutes were played but other than a Maupay shot over the bar, Blackman handled a few innocuous long-range efforts fairly comfortably and United kept their discipline.

The final whistle saw loud cheers from the Lane to signal their first win at the first attempt back in the second tier. The players embraced and Wilder gave the thumbs up the Kop. It was as if we had never been away in many ways as the Blades played with the same spirit and style they had last season and albeit against better opponents, still did enough to win again. The long unbeaten run going back to January 24th continues.

Deadbat_DB
05-08-2017, 10:52 PM
United – Really pleasing. We kept a clean sheet; scored a good goal and hit the post twice and also had a few disallowed. We really got stuck in, battled hard and passed when we could. It was not the same fluency we saw last season but we still saw smatterings of good football. We did well and I felt did not look out of place in any way against a side that has been top 10 for the last few seasons and will be even higher this year. We competed, won tackles and passed when we could. It was a game where we had spells of control but then had times when we had to sit in and dig in and do the gritty stuff. We saw a different side to our game and the likes of Coutts and Flecks did good defensive work rather than just the passing and control they have shown last season. I felt we passed it well at times but others were a bit sloppy and it is good that we can improve on the ball. Off the ball thought we really good and I felt we kept a really good shape and did not get pulled about too much. We kept good lines and made sure we got into areas to see off key threats. I felt we doubled up when we could the full backs kept inside and did not leave us vulnerable down the flanks. The three centre backs were nice and solid and the keeper made 3 super saves.

I thought we started the game well and had the best of it, but then they came into it and we had to survive for a period but then we scored and went in with a lead. After the break, I expected them to come strong but we actually started better and could have made it 2 or 3 nil with the disallowed goals and the post hit again. After this they came on stronger and they missed a sitter of course (one that keeper saved and hit the bar) but I did not feel they had lots of chances after this. They had the one on one but we managed to keep a decent line apart from this and I felt did well to see out time. We got blocks and tackles in and showed same togetherness we saw last year.

Overall, it was not scintillating but a solid, committed display with some glimpses of the football we played last season. Did we deserve to win? Debatable as chances wise they had as many and had as much, if not more of the ball. However, we got the ***** goal and then did enough to see it out. I actually think we played decent but can play better (with the ball) and will do better. I also think we will play a lot worse side than them. So, all in all a good performance and a winning one.

Brentford – I predicted they would be close to the top 6 pre-season and I still feel that. They have some lovely footballers and move it around with pace and purpose. Today they may have struggled at times defensively but when they got on the ball they looked good. They moved it around and got into little pockets and with a bit better final ball or finishing could have scored a few goals. They missed a few chances and Blackman made some good saves of course.

However, they may feel they lost the game in key spells. United began well, but they came back into it and seemed to have control but United wrestled it back and of course scored. I also felt they never really came out and gave it a real go to start the second half and it was only late on when they had a proper go. Still they are a decent side and have good footballers with likes of Vibe and Jota always dangerous. They all seemed to have quick feet and move it on before defenders could react. They got into some good areas and of course had good chances but we made blocks, had a bit of luck and they finished poorly. Midfield was a bit mixed. At times they had a lot of the ball and controlled things more than anyone has for a long time against our excellent midfield but then they sat off and we had a lot of the ball. I thought at the back they made mistakes and that they struggled with our penetration at times and Clarke caused some problems with his endeavour and strength.

Bit disappointed with Dean Smith’s comments to some degree who talked about a fortunate effort from Stevens that hit the post and kind of dismissed the two offside goals of which one seemed to be onside (with replays backing this up). No talk of the excellent Fleck effort in the built up or of a few other decent efforts we had. He made out that they never defended and that his keeper had nothing to do. His summary seems to suggest they battered us second half. That is nonsense. We had the better of the first 15 minutes after half time which surprised me as I expected them to come out and have a real go second half and it never really happened initially. Blackman made a good save and they hit the bar and missed a sitter in a trio of chances in the same attack and then the sub was also denied by Blackman one on one. Outside of this though they hardly penned us back incessantly and I felt whilst they always looked dangerous, I never felt it was attack after attack. They were always going to be the side pressing being behind but it was not non-stop pressure. I felt United did what they had to and for a team fresh for the division did a professional job.

Brentford have a few players missing; that has to be said with Canos, Dean and Judge to come in. Add these to the mix and some of their new player bed in and I expect them to be right amongst the top 6 by the end. They have a good manager who had had time to sculpt a decent team and have had investment (helped by money from funds from selling Hogan etc). The fact Sawyers and Watkins are options on the bench show the depth of the side.
Opposition Man of the Match: Ryan Woods. I thought Jota looked a threat first half and drifted in and had a few efforts. Second half he came very close with the long range shot but he kind of drifted out of it after then and got crowded out a few times. Vibe was dangerous with a few flicks and hold up play and McEachran passed it well when he got on the ball. However, the best player by a long way was the red-haired lad Woods. He was superb today. He got on the ball, used some superb control and quick feet and some sublime passing. He was excellent. We have raved about Coutts and Fleck but today was saw how the bar could be raised as a player that is maybe little known was the best midfielder on the pitch by some way.

Opposition Weak link: The two centre backs Bjelland and Egan were a bit shaky at times and I felt Clarke gave them some real problems at times. They were a bit hesitant and I felt against pace could be turned. They were missing Dean at the back of course who will come straight back in but I feel that pace and movement against the back line could see them struggle. I felt the poorest player today was someone I rate in the lad Henry who played left back. Always liked him at Walsall but today he was poor and I felt we got down this side quite a bit and showed his deficiencies defensively. He seemed very sluggish and Freeman and a few others nipped in and took the ball off him a few times.

Deadbat_DB
05-08-2017, 10:53 PM
Blackman 8.5/10 – Excellent debut. He made a smart stop first half when he pushed a shot away. Not much else to do other than routine handling but second half he came into his own. Made a superb save in the succession of chances when they also hit the bar and headed a sitter over. He then made another super stop when he denied Maupay when he came one on one and blocked the shot and then grabbed the rebound. He saved a few other long-range shots and punched a cross away. Cannot really fault him save for maybe his kicking which was mixed to say the least. Some good long-range punts from feet and hands and then some shockers that barely made half way including a few sliced efforts. He reminded me a bit of Simon Tracey (totally different in looks and build of course) but the way he kind of ambled around, looked a bit dopey but made some great saves and kind of looked so relaxed when everyone else in the stadium was probably concerned at certain chances. Wilder has been steadfast in his feelings about him being the number one target all summer and today he showed why. He was excellent and rivalled Clarke for Man of the Match.

Freeman 7/10 – Nothing spectacular and maybe did not get forward as much as he had done in League One. However, he did his bit defensively. A few sloppy moments when he sat off but he got better as the game got on. He got his foot in, cleared when he could and kept his shape. He did get caught when he tried to play offside and Mau pay got in and nearly scored. He also got forward more in the second half and started to have more of an influence turning Henry round the other way. He will need to get tighter and be sharper but he was ok generally today and showed usual good control and touch even when under pressure.

Stevens 7.5/10 – Good debut. Felt he looked strong defensively and seemed to get into good positions to block passes/crosses. He is a strong lad and better built than Lafferty. Wilder was honest and just said he had played better in pre-season which is fair enough. I think Lafferty is a bit weak defensively and can get caught out defensively. Stevens seemed to be in the right place most of the time today. He did not get forward that much but got a few crosses over. I just felt he was really solid and used the ball well when he had it.

Basham 7.5/10 – Steady and carried on from last season. He was able to get his foot in and make blocks/clearances. He was not getting forward as much as he had done last season but that is to be expected. However, he stuck to his task all game and faced with some quick feet and nimble attackers did not dive in and just was nice and solid. He got turned once second half when he tried to intercept and dived in but got back into position after quite quickly. One excellent moment second half when he cut the ball out and then danced round two defenders before clearing.

O’Connell 7.5/10 – Like Basham a solid performance all game. He was able to read the game well and get into good positions to snuff out danger. A few times his passes got intercepted and they got on the attack quickly after which shows you cannot make mistakes at this level. I felt second half he was really solid though and got on the front foot to win the ball when he could and intercepted some key attacks. Made a superb block when they shot goal wards second half when it seemed lie they might score.

Stearman 7/10 – I had been a little concerned with him in pre-season and at times he was careless with the ball but today he was fine. Still looked a bit slower than others and shows pace we have played at on and off the ball. He mopped up nicely when had to and often played as the last man just sweeping up when he could. He was not flashy but decent today. When he gets used to the pace of our play hoping he will improve even more.

Fleck 7/10 – Not dominant game that he has shown in matches last season. He played deeper than he has done but today did a job for the team. Different kind of job in that he was not on the ball as much and a lot of what he did was more covering, intercepting and getting in areas to deal with danger coming the other way. He did a good job in doubling up on Jota and I felt got in some decent tackles and blocks second half. Attacking wise he played one superb diagonal ball from the ground when he turned and spun first half and then of course had a superb shot from the short free kick which hit the post. I think he will get stronger but we may have to see him do more of this side of his game; defending and digging in as United won’t be as dominant on the ball.

Coutts 7/10 – Did well when he had the ball at times and played some nice balls but also gave it away a few times today which was unlike him. I felt against a strong midfield full of running, flicks and skill, him and Fleck showed a different side to their games. Coutts showed his improved fitness and stamina and I felt did some good defensive things today. Showed his range of passing, short and long and at times helped us get forward quickly. I think both him and Fleck did ok today but both an do better on the ball, but oddly did well off it; not qualities you would always associate with them.

Carruthers 7/10 – Started the game well and like some of the pre-season games I saw got into little pockets, used close control and linked well with forward players. Showed some of his lovely dribbling and skills when under pressure. Attacking wise he caused problems and ran with the ball and got them going back and turned then. Gave it away a few times but always looking to get on the ball and link when he could. He was a bit sloppy though with his passing and I counted at least 4 or 5 times he gave it to them and a few times he was not under pressure. He needs to be more assured with his passing. When he dribbles he looks a threat and won a free kick (when we hit the post second half) I am not sure whether he is the answer long term in that ‘number 10’ position but he did ok today. Tired second half and came off as we went to a more solid and defensive three when Lundstram came on.

Sharp 7/10 – To be honest he was not in the game that much for long spells. I had said he had barely had a kick when not long after he was heading us in front with a real opportunistic strike. It was a good header getting power from a floated cross. He had another headed second half; an even harder chance when Clarke again crossed it. Outside of this cannot remember too many clear chances (had a goal disallowed which did look off- turned in Fleck’s effort off the post). He worked hard off the ball and chased when he could but he did not see too much of the ball and it was correct to give Lavery a go and some fresh legs.

Clarke 8/10 –Thought he was excellent today and carried on his form from the end of last season. He held it up, played others into play and chased down defenders. He did not stop and not sure I have ever seen him put that much effort in as he did today. He really did give his all. He worried defenders and showed some really god strength to hold play up and bring others into things when they joined the attack. Made the goal and also had a few other decent runs and crosses. Did not have many chances outside of a goal that was disallowed (looked marginal that one). Needs to keep these standards up as he worried the defenders all game.

Deadbat_DB
05-08-2017, 10:55 PM
Subs:

Lundstram – Brought on for Carruthers but was put on in a different position. His job was to help us block out the midfield and sniff out the gaps that they were getting into. He looked lacking in fitness and to me is carrying an extra few pounds (maybe he is just barrel chested!) but when we needed someone to chase and harry I am not sure that is his forte.

Lavery – Came on for Sharp and showed some good running off the ball and tried to chase things down. He linked well with Clarke once but he pulled his shot badly off target when maybe had more time; after good initial work.

Wilder 8/10 – He got us off to a winning start. We were organised and committed; kept our shape and he made the right changes when he had to. Kept a clean sheet, got the keeping selection right from today’s performance and also Clarke vindicated his selection. He will be really pleased with the opening performance and the win.

Officials – His name is Steve Martin but there were no jokes in how he refereed it. No bookings, nothing controversial all game; he had a really good game. Kept it flowing bringing it back when he could for obvious fouls but he was just nice and consistent and I felt he did not get a lot wrong – maybe one foul on Lavery he ignored and then gave one for them exactly the same. There was barely a bad foul all game though; maybe could have booked their lad for the pull down on Carruthers for the free kick. He did overrule his assistant giving them a free kick down the South Stand side when his assistant gave us a throw but I am nit picking. Overall all the officials were fine – maybe the offside on Clarke may have been border line but can see why both were flagged.

Crowd – A very good opening day crowd of almost 27,000. The Kop and South Stand were almost full with just some gaps in the John Street towards the away end and in the upper tier which was occupied by Blades fans. Brentford brought 1,210 fans sat in the lower tier; which may seem healthy to them but will be one of the poorer away followings I would wager. They were relatively quiet I felt. United fans began loud and of course when the goal went in the noise levels went through the roof. I felt when the side needed them; the fans kept the volume up and the backing was good and really giving the players a lift in seeing off the visitors. As they were last season, the fans were really appreciative of the endeavour of the players as they fought every inch for the win and made the key blocks/clearances to see them over the line.

Great to see the Lane almost full with a loud backing for the home side and they got the win on the opening day. Important we got off to a good start to keep the momentum of the support and the optimism going.

We had the new screen and scoreboard but the new screen seemed to have permanent loops of Jeff Stelling adverts (rather than Maggie Mays) and no scores. We did at least see some replays of the goal at half and full time but I am not sure it was utilised well enough. Why not show scores or updates from games? It seems a bit of a waste if they just have one or two adverts on a loop. Even at least get more than a few companies to advertise to maximise our revenue from it! The new scoreboards main feature seems to be it counts up rather than down in terms of the 45 minutes!

BlockD
05-08-2017, 10:57 PM
Thanks DB,was looking forward to reading your report

rodcurrie
06-08-2017, 05:21 AM
Subs:

Lundstram – Brought on for Carruthers but was put on in a different position. His job was to help us block out the midfield and sniff out the gaps that they were getting into. He looked lacking in fitness and to me is carrying an extra few pounds (maybe he is just barrel chested!) but when we needed someone to chase and harry I am not sure that is his forte.

Lavery – Came on for Sharp and showed some good running off the ball and tried to chase things down. He linked well with Clarke once but he pulled his shot badly off target when maybe had more time; after good initial work.

Wilder 8/10 – He got us off to a winning start. We were organised and committed; kept our shape and he made the right changes when he had to. Kept a clean sheet, got the keeping selection right from today’s performance and also Clarke vindicated his selection. He will be really pleased with the opening performance and the win.

Officials – His name is Steve Martin but there were no jokes in how he refereed it. No bookings, nothing controversial all game; he had a really good game. Kept it flowing bringing it back when he could for obvious fouls but he was just nice and consistent and I felt he did not get a lot wrong – maybe one foul on Lavery he ignored and then gave one for them exactly the same. There was barely a bad foul all game though; maybe could have booked their lad for the pull down on Carruthers for the free kick. He did overrule his assistant giving them a free kick down the South Stand side when his assistant gave us a throw but I am nit picking. Overall all the officials were fine – maybe the offside on Clarke may have been border line but can see why both were flagged.

Crowd – A very good opening day crowd of almost 27,000. The Kop and South Stand were almost full with just some gaps in the John Street towards the away end and in the upper tier which was occupied by Blades fans. Brentford brought 1,210 fans sat in the lower tier; which may seem healthy to them but will be one of the poorer away followings I would wager. They were relatively quiet I felt. United fans began loud and of course when the goal went in the noise levels went through the roof. I felt when the side needed them; the fans kept the volume up and the backing was good and really giving the players a lift in seeing off the visitors. As they were last season, the fans were really appreciative of the endeavour of the players as they fought every inch for the win and made the key blocks/clearances to see them over the line.

Great to see the Lane almost full with a loud backing for the home side and they got the win on the opening day. Important we got off to a good start to keep the momentum of the support and the optimism going.

We had the new screen and scoreboard but the new screen seemed to have permanent loops of Jeff Stelling adverts (rather than Maggie Mays) and no scores. We did at least see some replays of the goal at half and full time but I am not sure it was utilised well enough. Why not show scores or updates from games? It seems a bit of a waste if they just have one or two adverts on a loop. Even at least get more than a few companies to advertise to maximise our revenue from it! The new scoreboards main feature seems to be it counts up rather than down in terms of the 45 minutes!That's how i saw the game DB,i agree Ryan Woods was the stand out player for them,i'm sure he's the fella who was at Shrewsbury and i wish we had signed him.I thought it was a good game,i've never seen Leon work as hard,it was a very encouragin debut for Jamal and in my view The Keizer Bash was terrific.The big screen at Rovrum shows the latest scores runnin across the bottom of the screen why can't ours can't do the same? I think all 3 debutants that started did well and it was a very good start but that's all it is a start,by the way it dint tek long for the first SHEFFIELD DOUBLE of the season did it?:D Yet another top report,cheers mi owd pal. UTCB

bulmer1889
06-08-2017, 06:06 AM
Spot on again DB can't really argue with any of that

Chips1889
06-08-2017, 06:45 AM
Thanks DB....excellent report and fully agree with your view of the match, the players and the ref.

Chips1889
06-08-2017, 08:37 AM
I watched a different game, we never struggled in the first half. Last 15 was tasty though.

Benitachell
06-08-2017, 09:23 AM
I watched a different game, we never struggled in the first half. Last 15 was tasty though.

I enjoyed the game until the last ten minutes when it became squeaky bum time. We invited them to put pressure on us by continually giving the ball back to them. Despite Blackman having a very good game, his distribution of the ball was poor. Giving it straight back to their goalie who then threw it to one of their players meant more pressure. This is easily solved if CW gets Blackman to throw the ball to one of our players instead of hoofing it anywhere.
I thought Samir C skill was excellent and despite losing possession once or twice, his pace and ability opened up their defence several times. He is difficult to deal with as a defender and I think he could be a major influence in our season. The long journey home to Wiltshire was a good one, as always when we win. We spoke to some Barnsley fans at the services, who were somewhat unhappy. They did not appreciate my joy at the way we had played and the fact that I told them that BDTBL was bouncing with 26742 fans inside it. However I enjoyed telling them. My son said that I am a 14 year old fan really and not the old fart that I look like!!!
UTB

Chips1889
06-08-2017, 09:58 AM
Suggest you read DB's comments on Coutts and Fleck again as you must have seen a different game to him also.

" I think him and Fleck did ok today but both can do better on the ball but oddly did well off it".

"Coutts gave the ball away a few times today which is unlike him I felt against a strong midfield full of running flicks and skill ".

" I thought we started the better but then they came into it and we had to survive for a period. "

Suggests we were not the free flowing midfield of last year because we were playing a much better standard of team who caused us problems. Blackman in the first half before we scored pulled off a good save and Jota missed an easy chance, fine margins but we could have easily been behind in this game. The difference was we had a natural goalscorer they didn't and we scored at the right time.

DB gave them both a 7......good enough for me and really shows that they didn't "struggle"...IMO.
UTB

BlockD
06-08-2017, 10:08 AM
Billys goal ,look at Leons reaction
https://twitter.com/Beesotted/status/893845621764960256

costablade
06-08-2017, 10:32 AM
Welcome back DB, love reading your reports

GrayBlade
06-08-2017, 10:42 AM
Good report DB. I'd give Bash and Caruthers an extra half point each but overall pretty much bob on mate.

I think with all our players including the newbies this is a time of adjustment and it's important we cut them a little bit of slack while it pans out just like we did yesterday. Some may step up their own game and make the transition easily enough while others may find it hard to play with that kind of commitment and tempo every game and become bench or squad players, only time will tell.

Overall I think it's fair to that thst we won't be playing teams who can move it around like they did every game, there's plenty that are more direct in this division, but the downside is that they may have got bigger more physical players and decent strikers, so we will need to be adaptable. I suspect we'll see far more straight back 4 from the off than we did last season, despite us sticking with 3 CB's yesterday and more squad rotation so getting a couple more players in is *****. UTB!

bulmer1889
06-08-2017, 10:55 AM
Wasn't easy to throw the ball out yesterday they did when they could but Brentford pressed really high up the pitch giving our midfield little time or space the back four was put under real pressure too,they play very similar to us but their players were quicker more athletic and technically better,they haven't got chris wilder tho or Billy sharp. Having watched us against a team I expect to go well this yr it's re enforced the thinking we will be ok. As for enjoying it,yes thoroughly it was a good competitive game we couldnt relax for a second or we were likely to be punished these games are as good if not better to me as rolling a team over by four or five,it's not always great watching teams far superior bashing an inferior team I like to see teams closely matched

Benitachell
06-08-2017, 12:33 PM
Wasn't easy to throw the ball out yesterday they did when they could but Brentford pressed really high up the pitch giving our midfield little time or space the back four was put under real pressure too,they play very similar to us but their players were quicker more athletic and technically better,they haven't got chris wilder tho or Billy sharp. Having watched us against a team I expect to go well this yr it's re enforced the thinking we will be ok. As for enjoying it,yes thoroughly it was a good competitive game we couldnt relax for a second or we were likely to be punished these games are as good if not better to me as rolling a team over by four or five,it's not always great watching teams far superior bashing an inferior team I like to see teams closely matched

You make a good point about their press, which was very good and lasted the whole game. I would still hope however that we could improve our possession of the ball when we are at the end of the game and defending a lead. The higher the level we play at the more we will encounter teams who close down quickly and press for the whole game.

sharrowboy2
06-08-2017, 07:55 PM
Is it true you were absolutely chronic, had 40% possession and really ought to have lost 1-3 or 1-4?

Deadbat_DB
06-08-2017, 08:10 PM
Is it true you were absolutely chronic, had 40% possession and really ought to have lost 1-3 or 1-4?

Nope. They had 2 or 3 good chances.. one guilt edged after they hit the bar and keeper made 2 or 3 good saves but we hit the post twice; had 2 goals disallowed (one was onside) and despite what BBC stats says (last eyar we were prob70% some game and it always said it was even!) on possession we had as much of ball as them.

It was quite an even game. We took our chance. They missed their big one. In between both played some good football, competed. Each team kept haviing spells but in truth we could have been 2 or 3-0 before they miised their chance as dominated first 20 mins of second half. They pushed on late but lost 1-3 or 1-4; you on the sauce?

If it had been a 1-1 draw I could not have complained but we did what we had to and it was a good win. Good thing is we did a lot of good things of the ball but could do better wiht it despite some good moves. Brentford will be around top 6 and we we matched them. A good sign.

sharrowboy2
06-08-2017, 08:17 PM
Brentford will be around top 6

Erm... no. Not a chance, you don't know this division like we do. Get ready for some heavy defeats.

FatherKnowsBest
06-08-2017, 08:24 PM
Likewise...

Currieisgod
07-08-2017, 09:59 AM
Excellent detailed report, who needs the papers eh and very fair too,

I certainly agree with the report on Freeman as he wasn't allowed to get away with the surging "Down The Right" Down The Right" "Kieran Freeman"!! runs he did last season but to his credit he didn't let it affect his game and he adapted well as the game wore on.

Stevens at the back looks a great addition and we look strong as a team in this area of the field with Laffs pressing him hard for the shirt.

Moving forward I think that Ched, Baldock and Hanson will be like having 3 new signings again as they become fitter and stronger.

Ched is the answer waiting to happen for me as if he is anything like pre April 2012 then him and Sharp would be red hot at this level, but I suppose its a waiting game if it happens at all.

I thought we were excellent on Saturday and whilst I am sure we can sustain the effort and commitment throughout the season there will be times during games (particularly away from home and against the better teams) where a 20-25 minute spell such has Brentford had the other day will reap a goal or 2 against us and we wont be able to be as ruthless up front as we were in League One,

On the other hand also there will be lesser tests too as Brentford I feel will be top 6 ish at the end of the season,

Well done Blades, Keep it up, As for the fans and the atmosphere I haven't witnessed this since the Premiership days with a plus point also the attitude of the players at the end of the game, they really wanna be here I feel, just as much as we do.

shorehamoldboy
07-08-2017, 11:15 AM
your getting very mardy sharrowpig for this early in the season yes we will have defeats goes without saying but were gonna suprise a lot enall we will consolidate this season then go for play offs next season weve a better manager than you lot one who doesnt need an open cheque book and pay stupid salaries to get the best out of his players