PDA

View Full Version : Forte

SwalePie
05-08-2017, 11:20 PM
Can someone explain to me why we never play Forte up front with either Ameobi or Stead? I'm convinced there's potential for a decent partnership with either of those combinations.

60YearsAPie
05-08-2017, 11:33 PM
I'd go with the Forte/Ameobi combination. Can't see many other options.

Stead’s figures last season were a bit misleading.

He scored 9 in his first 10 appearances, and 5 in his last 26.

That included only 1 in his last 11 games of the season.

jackal2
05-08-2017, 11:52 PM
Stead should never have been re-signed. It's a waste of significant wage.

As others have said, Stead isn't an ideal partner for Ameobi, because neither of them offers any pace. We need a pacey second striker to play alongside Shola.

If Ameobi is unavailable we've got real problems, because Stead is actually a pretty awful target man who has a surprisingly poor first touch for a former Premiership player and does not relish the physical battle with centre-halves. Until Ameobi arrived to do the target man job properly, it became a running joke that Stead would crumple time and again under challenge from defenders, weakly crying for free-kicks.

I remember Jon Stead in his heyday playing for Huddersfield and in those days he was sharper and pacier. He has always had a good finishing instinct, and that still remains to a degree, but the rest of his game is greatly diminished. Nolan has made a mistake not releasing him, because Stead could happily have finished his career in the States, and we could have invested in a quality, pacey young striker to play alongside Ameobi, and perhaps recruited another proper target man as well. As things stand, we'll be relying on Alan Smith as back-up target man, which is pitiful.

optipez
05-08-2017, 11:57 PM
I'd try putting him in the match day squad for starters, then if he makes it on to the pitch at all, I'd try him up front.
Just a thought, although if Jones persists with today's kind of performance perhaps left back could be his new calling.
I really don't know what Nolan has against him, he abused him last season playing him on the wing and then picking the lad from West Brom whose name I can't even remember ahead of him.
He may have lost a bit of pace, may not be prolific, but he runs his socks off, doesn't bottle out a tackle and managed eleven goals last season with very little service, and has to be worth a place on the bench ahead of Smith or Saunders who I believe managed a grand total of one goal between them last season.

jackal2
06-08-2017, 12:07 AM
Forte was never the player some fans thought we were getting. He flattered to deceive on loan to us on a couple of occasions but his overall career record is average at best. However, Optipez is basically right that he's still by far the best option we've got as a striker to play off Shola, and certainly better as a striker than a winger. Between them they should have enough to do okay in this division in the short-term.

durhampie
06-08-2017, 09:41 AM
Can someone explain to me why we never play Forte up front with either Ameobi or Stead? I'm convinced there's potential for a decent partnership with either of those combinations.

Could it be that once again we have a manager who wears blinkers......Or is under pressure from above to play both Stead & Shola. We all know that AH thinks these 2 are the best strike force since slice bread... Just a thought....

pedrolane
06-08-2017, 10:09 AM
Hardy needs to butt out if so, knows nothing about the game. Leave it to KN as it's blatantly obvious with Stead and Ameobi there's a lack of pace which Forte provides if he's on song.

navypie
06-08-2017, 10:11 AM

Could not agree more .

BigFatPie
06-08-2017, 10:33 AM
Saunders being on the bench instead of Forte, and Hewitt and Walker starting in midfield were all poor selections. Obviously unless injuries were involved.

Things can only get better?

jackal2
06-08-2017, 11:27 AM
Could it be that once again we have a manager who wears blinkers......Or is under pressure from above to play both Stead & Shola. We all know that AH thinks these 2 are the best strike force since slice bread... Just a thought....

There are a lot of valid questions to be asked, but let's not get carried away. I don't think Alan Hardy would try to directly influence team selection, and I don't think Kevin Nolan would let him. In my view, the majority of the recruitment and retention during the summer has been questionable and I think the responsibility for that lies squarely with the manager. If anything, Hardy has trusted his judgement too much. We saw last season that Kevin Nolan is a good motivator who can lift a group of players, but the jury is still out on whether he is a good judge of players.

St Kitts Magpie
06-08-2017, 12:11 PM
There are a lot of valid questions to be asked, but let's not get carried away. I don't think Alan Hardy would try to directly influence team selection, and I don't think Kevin Nolan would let him. In my view, the majority of the recruitment and retention during the summer has been questionable and I think the responsibility for that lies squarely with the manager. If anything, Hardy has trusted his judgement too much. We saw last season that Kevin Nolan is a good motivator who can lift a group of players, but the jury is still out on whether he is a good judge of players.

I think this is a valid point. we dont know how good KN is at identifying players on the whole.

For every Jorge Grant we have a Mark Yeates , for every Shola we have Tahvon and for every Marc Bola we have a Josh Clacktone.

Hope the summer recruits have a higher success ratio

time will tell.

navypie
06-08-2017, 12:43 PM
I think this is a valid point. we dont know how good KN is at identifying players on the whole.

For every Jorge Grant we have a Mark Yeates , for every Shola we have Tahvon and for every Marc Bola we have a Josh Clacktone.

Hope the summer recruits have a higher success ratio

time will tell.

Your absolutely spot on mate.

navypie
06-08-2017, 12:48 PM
Your absolutely spot on mate.

Tahvon ( was his surname Campbell ,I cant remember and don't really want to ) oh dear !

Freeman25
06-08-2017, 01:53 PM
How come despite so many managers thinking Forte isn't good enough to play as a striker (or at all) fan's seem to think it's some sort of conspiracy against him rather than him actually just not being very good? If it was anyone else fans would use the fact that so many managers can't be wrong, yet with Forte it has to be something else?

Last season he missed countless chances even in the short playing time Nolan gave him, his finishing is not that great, he's not that quick and he's looked miserable as f*ck since Sheridan left and if we'd signed someone with his record of scoring 68 in 352 games and the ridiculous amount of loans/clubs he's had I hardly think anyone would be that pleased.

nw6pie
06-08-2017, 06:39 PM
How come despite so many managers thinking Forte isn't good enough to play as a striker (or at all) fan's seem to think it's some sort of conspiracy against him rather than him actually just not being very good? If it was anyone else fans would use the fact that so many managers can't be wrong, yet with Forte it has to be something else?

Last season he missed countless chances even in the short playing time Nolan gave him, his finishing is not that great, he's not that quick and he's looked miserable as f*ck since Sheridan left and if we'd signed someone with his record of scoring 68 in 352 games and the ridiculous amount of loans/clubs he's had I hardly think anyone would be that pleased.

Agree that Forte probably isn't the answer to our prayers, in which case we need to try and move him on. But as we saw with Campbell from West Brom, it's going to be hard to get a good young forward on loan - young Walker from Florest would be a good option, if they want him to go out on loan. Failing that, would it be worth playing Alessandra alongside Shola?

I'm also hoping the new midfielder from Forest can be the ball winner in the middle of the park, because Hewitt has yet to convince me he's good enough in any position.

Freeman25
06-08-2017, 07:02 PM
Allessandra playing off Shola would be one option but I don't think he's the quickest of players and I think we'd miss him in midfield more than we'd gain anything upfront.

i961pie
06-08-2017, 07:43 PM
[QUOTE=Freeman25;38611398]How come despite so many managers thinking Forte isn't good enough to play as a striker (or at all) fan's seem to think it's some sort of conspiracy against him rather than him actually just not being very good? If it was anyone else fans would use the fact that so many managers can't be wrong, yet with Forte it has to be something else?

Those same managers don't seem to think we need 2 decent central defenders so I wouldn't take much notice of them knowing Forte's best position.

Freeman25
06-08-2017, 08:19 PM
The reality is that Forte isn't good enough to play in his "best position" anymore, last season he spent some time on the wing because Sheridan decided that we didn't need a left winger, unless you count Rodman and I was doing really well trying to forget about him being here, so him and Campbell were the only options that could play there. Campbell was the same, not good enough to play up front so got stuck out on the wing because he had a bit of pace and we had nobody else to play there.

i961pie
06-08-2017, 09:11 PM
The reality is that Forte isn't good enough to play in his "best position" anymore, last season he spent some time on the wing because Sheridan decided that we didn't need a left winger, unless you count Rodman and I was doing really well trying to forget about him being here, so him and Campbell were the only options that could play there. Campbell was the same, not good enough to play up front so got stuck out on the wing because he had a bit of pace and we had nobody else to play there.

So again all the managers didn't realise we needed a left winger then as well as 2 central defenders?

queenslandpie
06-08-2017, 09:28 PM
So again all the managers didn't realise we needed a left winger then as well as 2 central defenders?

In fairness to Sheridan he did try and resolve the centre back issue with Duffy who came in with a much better rep than has actually been seen. At least Nolan is seeing the light and not starting Hollis although he has signed Dan Jones...! Er I give up.

Freeman25
06-08-2017, 09:50 PM

All the managers? Forte has played under Sheridan and Nolan for us, Nolan has signed 2 wingers and Jorge Grant, who will probably play on the wing too, thus, no Jon Forte.

The-Mac pie
06-08-2017, 10:20 PM
Saunders being on the bench instead of Forte, and Hewitt and Walker starting in midfield were all poor selections. Obviously unless injuries were involved.

Things can only get better?
Absolutely correct fat pie ...

durhampie
06-08-2017, 11:12 PM
Allessandra playing off Shola would be one option but I don't think he's the quickest of players and I think we'd miss him in midfield more than we'd gain anything upfront.

He is crap and so is Hawkridge. Both are none league standard players...

i961pie
07-08-2017, 01:00 AM
[QUOTE=Freeman25;38611398]How come despite so many managers thinking Forte isn't good enough

So many managers???

Freeman25
07-08-2017, 08:14 AM
2003–2007 Sheffield United 30 (1)
2005 → Doncaster Rovers (loan) 8 (4)
2005 → Doncaster Rovers (loan) 5 (0)
2006 → Rotherham United (loan) 11 (4)
2006–2007 → Doncaster Rovers (loan) 41 (5)
2007–2011 S****horpe United 98 (9)
2008 → Notts County (loan) 4 (4)
2009 → Notts County (loan) 14 (4)
2011–2014 Southampton 11 (2)
2011 → Preston North End (loan) 3 (0)
2012 → Notts County (loan) 10 (5)
2012 → Crawley Town (loan) 12 (3)
2013 → Sheffield United (loan) 12 (1)
2014–2016 Oldham Athletic 60 (18)
2016– Notts County 33 (8)

I'm talking about that, you made it specifically about Notts managers when you decided to bring up our lack of centre backs and a winger and I explained that Nolan has seen our lack of wingers and done something about it.

LaxtonLad
07-08-2017, 09:14 AM
Forte needs to start the next game, he has the pace that Stead hasn't. Why Nolly brought in Grant, who we know can influence the dynamic of a clueless bunch, and not start him, I do not know. Nolly has also brought in Ryan Yates, who he had been chasing since the close season, yet he didn't even make it as far as the bench and other new signings started instead. Two men there with pace who could bring something different to the table, yet we stayed with the good old boot it up to Stead and Ameobi.

Mark Robins might have copied what Wellington said at Waterloo, "They came on in the same old way and we beat them in the same old way".

JoePass
07-08-2017, 09:27 AM

I would put him in the team on Tuesday. He just cannot be as bad as any of the garbage that played on Saturday.

DelroyFacey22
07-08-2017, 09:37 AM
Forte needs to start the next game, he has the pace that Stead hasn't. Why Nolly brought in Grant, who we know can influence the dynamic of a clueless bunch, and not start him, I do not know. Nolly has also brought in Ryan Yates, who he had been chasing since the close season, yet he didn't even make it as far as the bench and other new signings started instead. Two men there with pace who could bring something different to the table, yet we stayed with the good old boot it up to Stead and Ameobi.

He did explain that Grant hasn't played much football during pre season so he was going to ease him in, I think bringing him on off the bench wasn't the worst plan in the world to be fair, you would think he'd be a decent impact player, as for Yates, he'd only been here about a day or two so it wouldn't have made much sense to throw him straight in the squad ahead of Milsom, Walker and Hewitt. It was the first game of the season, if Grant is still sitting on the bench in a couple of weeks I'd start asking questions but until then there's not much to worry about.

slack_pie
07-08-2017, 12:55 PM
I agree 100% with the calls to play Forte up top with Shola. He's a decent option at this level and should chip in with double figures if given the chance. Stead and Shola should be rotated, with Shola getting as much game time as possible. I just can't understand why Nolan would pick Saunders ahead of Forte on the bench.

Old_pie
07-08-2017, 01:22 PM
I would put him in the team on Tuesday. He just cannot be as bad as any of the garbage that played on Saturday.

#trust #faith #promotion. And if all that fails there is the Class of 2018 to look forward to. Anyway, Ilkeston got a good away draw so AH will consider that the weekend wasn't too bad and no need to judge Notts till after 36 matches.

Oldstripy
07-08-2017, 01:33 PM
bbcrns twitter.

Down at Meadow Lance chatting with Kevin Nolan. He says Jonathan Forte will feature tomorrow & Ryan Yates could come in to squad too #Notts

JoePass
07-08-2017, 01:33 PM
#trust #faith #promotion. And if all that fails there is the Class of 2018 to look forward to. Anyway, Ilkeston got a good away draw so AH will consider that the weekend wasn't too bad and no need to judge Notts till after 36 matches.

At least I enjoyed the hot cheese, bacon and chicken panini from Tesco's across the road from the Ricoh before the match. After that it all went downhill, even the panini :P

Oldstripy
07-08-2017, 01:34 PM
bbcrns twitter.

Down at Meadow Lane chatting with Kevin Nolan. He says Jonathan Forte will feature tomorrow & Ryan Yates could come in to squad too #Notts

https://twitter.com/bbcrns

JoePass
07-08-2017, 01:46 PM
bbcrns twitter.

Down at Meadow Lane chatting with Kevin Nolan. He says Jonathan Forte will feature tomorrow & Ryan Yates could come in to squad too #Notts

https://twitter.com/bbcrns

That's good news.

countygump
07-08-2017, 03:29 PM
That's good news.

No wonder Nolo can't get him to respond. He keeps calling the lad, Frank.

http://www.nottinghampost.com/sport/kevin-nolan-frank-discussion-notts-291575

ancientpie
07-08-2017, 06:06 PM
I suspect that Forte has somehow upset KN in training, maybe he doesn't give 100% or say the right things? certainly to our last few managers attitude in training seems to count for more than ability on the pitch hence certain members of the squad keep getting their pick despite constantly under performing in games. I am no great fan of Forte's but when you look at our very limited options he can imo feel hard done by not to get a run along side one of our ageing strikers & to be left off the bench on Saturday surely means the end of him under KN.

i961pie
07-08-2017, 08:53 PM

You actually said so many managers think Forte isn't good enough to play as a striker, did all of them think that then? I don't think so.

JoePass
07-08-2017, 09:29 PM
You actually said so many managers think Forte isn't good enough to play as a striker, did all of them think that then? I don't think so.

Just play him.

KeepTheMagpieFlyingH
09-08-2017, 10:39 AM
We can safely say after last night that we're more of a goal threat with Forte in the side..hopefully it'll be Ameobi and Forte Saturday.

If Nolans going to persist with 4-4-2 which it looks as though he is..maybe a loan offer for Offrande Zanzala from Derby would be a good move.

optipez
19-08-2017, 05:58 PM
If Forte can't get a start on Friday after scoring in successive games Nolan is asking for trouble.
The whole squad, Stead included must know he's worth a start, and nobody likes a boss who has favourites. Whilever we're winning it's fine, but if it turns, Nolan doesn't have the goodwill in the bank which good managers need to get them through sticky patches.
Great win today, Accrington are a bit of a bogey team and going well so it will be a good test. Really looking forward to this already.

keldsyke
19-08-2017, 06:06 PM
Nolan doesn't have the goodwill in the bank which good managers need to get them through sticky patches.

You are joking? I can't even believe you're talking like this. For what it's worth I believe it will be the same starting 11 on Friday as today ( bar injuries ) for which Ill be happy and hope for, just need to keep a settled winning team and if it means Forte coming off the bench and chipping in Im happy with that. Have faith in Nolan.

nay123
19-08-2017, 06:30 PM
You are joking? I can't even believe you're talking like this. For what it's worth I believe it will be the same starting 11 on Friday as today ( bar injuries ) for which Ill be happy and hope for, just need to keep a settled winning team and if it means Forte coming off the bench and chipping in Im happy with that. Have faith in Nolan. there is a rouma on Facebook that forest have recalled grant don't know if it's true.

Kyle95
19-08-2017, 07:10 PM
there is a rouma on Facebook that forest have recalled grant don't know if it's true.

Don't think it's true could be wrong but i'm pretty sure Forest have no authority, too recall him until January (baring injuries). I heard Warburton speaking on the radio, about Tyler Walker. He said if i player leaves on loan that's them gone until January, so i assume that's the same with Grant. It also makes no sense for them too recall him imo, unless they plan too sell him. Aren't they after Bridcutt from Leeds which pushes Grant further back, if they sign him. It's most likely their fans trying to stir sh**.

Freeman25
19-08-2017, 08:00 PM
He's in an odd situation where he's still probably better coming off the bench because if he starts what's our plan b? Bring on Jon Stead? Can't see that having the same effect.

kill_the_drum
19-08-2017, 09:34 PM
there is a rouma on Facebook that forest have recalled grant don't know if it's true.

It's not true as they can't recall him until Jan

LaxtonLad
20-08-2017, 07:14 AM

If it's a rumour on facebook it must be true.

ancientpie
20-08-2017, 08:28 AM
He's in an odd situation where he's still probably better coming off the bench because if he starts what's our plan b? Bring on Jon Stead? Can't see that having the same effect.

Until he is given a run alongside Ameobi we will never know if he is "better coming off the bench" with age being against him I would have thought that Stead could well make a better impact sub especially if we are chasing the game & need 3 up front.

durhampie
20-08-2017, 11:03 PM

He is a None league player at best..

Freeman25
21-08-2017, 12:59 AM
Non league player that scored in League 2 on Saturday :)

i961pie
21-08-2017, 05:15 AM
Non league player that scored in League 2 on Saturday :)

Forte as scored in his last 2 games but you don't rate him.

Freeman25
21-08-2017, 05:45 PM
Forte as scored in his last 2 games but you don't rate him.

*has

Good point though ;D

CmonUSexyStylishPies
21-08-2017, 06:22 PM
Stead has scored 5 goals in the last 34 games which is pretty bad for one of the supposed best strikers in the league. He's the only player to actually get worse under Nolan.

Forte may not be the long term answer but he's our best option to partner Ameobi.

Elite_Pie
21-08-2017, 07:13 PM
I can't help but think that Forte is being viewed through rose-tinted spectacles by a few. I see him as a decent squad member at this level, but this view that he is suddenly miles better than Stead is a bit bizarre. Not a lot between them, and hopefully both can play a positive role this season, so I'm happy to leave it to Kevin Nolan to decide who plays when.

Freeman25
21-08-2017, 07:22 PM
I can't help but think that Forte is being viewed through rose-tinted spectacles by a few. I see him as a decent squad member at this level, but this view that he is suddenly miles better than Stead is a bit bizarre. Not a lot between them, and hopefully both can play a positive role this season, so I'm happy to leave it to Kevin Nolan to decide who plays when.

Stead's not exactly lighting up the league with goals but I do think he brings a lot more to the team with his performance than Forte does, it's a bit like McLeod when he was here, yeah he'd score a couple of goals but a part from that he was rarely involved in the game. And whilst I'm usually the last person to appreciate players just for "putting in a shift" Stead does at least do that, he drops deep to try and get involved, he fights for balls in the air, he closes defenders down and he'll put in a tackle if needed, so far Forte has poached a goal against Wycombe and scored against the Everton U21's.

60YearsAPie
21-08-2017, 09:29 PM
The strike partnership of Shola Ameobi and John Stead has started together 15 times for Notts.

Stead scored 3 times in their first 2 appearances together. In the last 13 games where they both started he has scored once.

The best strike partnership in the division? Not on recent form.

With a return of 1 goal in 13 games from the assumed main goalscorer, maybe the cry for a change in the pairing isn’t that unreasonable.

With the playing staff we have, the pairing of Ameobi and Forte seems the obvious choice.

Freeman25
21-08-2017, 10:36 PM
The strike partnership of Shola Ameobi and John Stead has started together 15 times for Notts.

Stead scored 3 times in their first 2 appearances together. In the last 13 games where they both started he has scored once.

The best strike partnership in the division? Not on recent form.

With a return of 1 goal in 13 games from the assumed main goalscorer, maybe the cry for a change in the pairing isn’t that unreasonable.

With the playing staff we have, the pairing of Ameobi and Forte seems the obvious choice.

What's our win record like when those two start though?

60YearsAPie
21-08-2017, 10:48 PM
What's our win record like when those two start though?

Ameobi/Stead – 9 wins in 15 starts = 60%

Ameobi/Forte – 1 win in 1 start = 100%

i961pie
22-08-2017, 06:22 AM

I don't think fans think he is miles better than Stead but at the moment seems to be in better form and is scoring.