Steward
06-08-2017, 02:45 PM
link
AdChoices
Footymad Coventry City NewsLatestTeam News
Absolutely What I Expected - Robins

By CNS Sport
Last updated : 05 August 2017
Coventry City manager Mark Robins said that the 3-0 win against Notts County was absolutely what he expected.

The Sky Blues, with eight players getting their home debut, were always the better side and whilst Michael Doyle had a fine game in midfield, Jodie Jones, took many plaudits for his hat-trick which was the first for a City player outside of the top flight for many a year as both the opening day trebles by Dion Dublin against Chelsea, Mick Quinn at Arsenal and David Cross at Everton were in matches in the top flight.

Speaking to the club website about the victory which was watched by a crowd of 10,350, Mark Robins, who admitted that Jones will be fined £250 by the other City players for hugging the match after completing his hat-trick, said; "It was absolutely what I expected, perhaps not on the scoreline but it was the performance I had hoped for in the build up.

"The opposition's performance was exactly what we exected, it typifies what they're going to be like this season and they're a good side, a side who will get more wins than losses in this division.

"They're really difficult to play against, it is a really good start for us. I've got to be honest and say it was a great hat-trick from Jodi, he took all his goals well and he was helped out really well in terms of the service he got.

countygump
06-08-2017, 02:57 PM
link
AdChoices

By CNS Sport
Coventry City manager Mark Robins said that the 3-0 win against Notts County was absolutely what he expected.

The Sky Blues, with eight players getting their home debut, were always the better side and whilst Michael Doyle had a fine game in midfield, Jodie Jones, took many plaudits for his hat-trick which was the first for a City player outside of the top flight for many a year as both the opening day trebles by Dion Dublin against Chelsea, Mick Quinn at Arsenal and David Cross at Everton were in matches in the top flight.

Speaking to the club website about the victory which was watched by a crowd of 10,350, Mark Robins, who admitted that Jones will be fined £250 by the other City players for hugging the match after completing his hat-trick, said; "It was absolutely what I expected, perhaps not on the scoreline but it was the performance I had hoped for in the build up.

"The opposition's performance was exactly what we exected, it typifies what they're going to be like this season and they're a good side, a side who will get more wins than losses in this division.

"They're really difficult to play against, it is a really good start for us. I've got to be honest and say it was a great hat-trick from Jodi, he took all his goals well and he was helped out really well in terms of the service he got.

It's very easy to praise the oppo when you've just thrammed them 3-0. Means nothing.

60YearsAPie
06-08-2017, 03:06 PM
Remember Teddy Sheringham’s comments after we won at Stevenage on the opening day two seasons ago?

"That was probably one of the best teams we'll play this year. I don't know that for definite, it’s early days, but they were a decent outfit and made it very tough for us.”

We ended that season with 5-0 defeats against Mansfield and Carlisle, finishing 17th.

irishpete
06-08-2017, 03:16 PM
"The oppositions performance was exactly what we expected".BrilliantB)

navypie
06-08-2017, 03:36 PM
link
AdChoices

By CNS Sport

So his pre match team talk was along the lines of these are s***e and we fulfilled all his expectations.

ancientpie
06-08-2017, 03:47 PM
link
AdChoices

By CNS Sport

I especially like the last line"he was helped out really well in terms of the service he got" who from us? I must admit he looked a very good player & a proper "wow" signing.

pedrolane
06-08-2017, 03:50 PM
Really helped out by Jones who closed him down to within 6 yards in the penalty area...

upthemaggies
06-08-2017, 03:52 PM
Will be interesting to see how Coventry get on in the coming weeks. Did we make them look good or them make us look bad?
Our next L2 opponents lost 3-1 at home to Grimsby yesterday, so next Saturdays game will give us a much clearer indication as to where we're really at.

ancientpie
06-08-2017, 04:15 PM
Will be interesting to see how Coventry get on in the coming weeks. Did we make them look good or them make us look bad?
Our next L2 opponents lost 3-1 at home to Grimsby yesterday, so next Saturdays game will give us a much clearer indication as to where we're really at.

Jodi Jones aside I didn't think that they looked anything special we just looked worryingly poor, they had a plan we didn't, they actually tried to pick out players with passes we didn't, if their passes went astray they had players fighting for the loose ball we didn't, if their passes found their man they looked dangerous we didn't. I am not one for knee jerk reactions & it is very early for alarm bells to start ringing but I hope that either KN has a good plan B & C or these players have at least 2 more gears they can move up because yesterday was dire & I saw nothing that suggested we are any better than last season.

sidders
06-08-2017, 04:24 PM
We could have had Robins as our manager. He clearly has more experience and judgement at setting up a team for the start of a new season.

Elite_Pie
06-08-2017, 05:18 PM

My impression is the same as it was on leaving the ground - we made them look good. We were never under any sustained pressure and only lost by gifting them 3 easy goals. I doubt they would achieve 3 goal victories with that sort of performance too often. I hope I'm wrong and it turns out that we are a decent team who were beaten by an excellent team, but what concerns me from what I've seen so far is that we look far more likely to concede goals than we do to score them.

St Kitts Magpie
06-08-2017, 05:34 PM
My impression is the same as it was on leaving the ground - we made them look good. We were never under any sustained pressure and only lost by gifting them 3 easy goals. I doubt they would achieve 3 goal victories with that sort of performance too often. I hope I'm wrong and it turns out that we are a decent team who were beaten by an excellent team, but what concerns me from what I've seen so far is that we look far more likely to concede goals than we do to score them.

im not convinced by Mark Robins as a manager , regardless of yesterday.
We are going to get more wins than losses....

Think Notts and Cov will both be closer than we both want come the end of the season. Mid table that is..

Freeman25
06-08-2017, 05:34 PM
Jones took 3 of their 4 (the freekick that we were asleep for being the other) good chances well imo and that was the difference between us both, we had them under pressure for a good spell in the second half when Shola was getting involved in everything and put Stead through on goal 3 times with the keeper beating Stead to the ball on all three occasions, Hawkridge hitting the post in the first half. Coventry fans were asking on the way back to the car our opinions on the game and I definitely think it was more a case of us being poor than them being very good, it was fairly obvious early on that Jodi Jones would be a standout player and a threat though.

MAD_MAGPIE
06-08-2017, 08:24 PM

My general concern is it's the same old habits that haunt us. Conceding late goals with two goals coming after 80+ minutes. Not that it would have had any bearing on this game, but I hate to think how many games and points we have lost by conceding late goals in recent seasons. In fact it was the final nail in the coffin that sealed our relegation to this league. Who remembers Gillingham away?

tarquinbeech
06-08-2017, 09:35 PM
Forget the opposition for one ****y moment.......any team that has one, yes ONE, shot on target plus only two, yes TWO corners....plus persists in punting the ball aimlessly up in the air every 3 minutes, deserves to get a good thrashing!!

Sorry, but if I buy a tin of all-in-one Happy Food, and it says on the tin that "this might be sh*te"....I won't be surprised if it tastes like 7-day-old rancid socks mixed with a sprinkling of toe-nail clippings.

In summary - It doesn't matter if Coventry won by one, two or three goals......Notts were extremely poor and they need to sort it out ASAP