PDA

View Full Version : Dyche - Talks Transfers.

Norder
07-08-2017, 05:44 PM

Sean Dyche addresses limited transfer activity: Building the Burnley way

Dyche said: “For us, it’s going to be inching forward not massive strides – how it should be for a team like us.

“Business-wise it’s not going to be enough financially to jump massively with wages and fees. So it’s inching along and building and building and building.

“That can be hard but it gives clarity. I know where we are going

“It keeps you on your toes. It’s healthy for me and the staff to keep pushing the players.

“They know what we’re about. They’re not stupid. They know every day is a challenge. There’s no point in me giving you a load of BS.

I’m saying it’s inch by inch in our case. If you’re at a different club with a different ownership they might say: ‘Sean, the world’s your oyster, crack on. Don’t worry about the wages, don’t worry about anything,’

“That’s different. Then you manage that. I can only manage what is given to me. Every now and then I get frustrated. I think: ‘Why can’t we get that? Give me a chance to get this.’

“You go in with good intentions, but how quickly do they get stretched? How quickly do you flex? How quickly do you think: We need that next thing, that next player? When you get in there, it’s really difficult.”

“The secret is working with whatever you’re given to work within. Keep your eye on that. If you start crying too much you get so wrapped up in it that you affect your own performance. And then your own performance starts dipping.”

"So this season, can we make it a little bit stronger? I think we have. It’s just about nudging it forward.”

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSq6b-6Fp6mx8wrMozVb7OpJGprl4oCXcoC2Qbw2S-NhHAtqG3U

....so it's all about - little by little - inching along, pushing the players - to play to the edge..in the Hope of doing just enough - to keep us up.

All good then ?

hmmmm.....but that sounds a little perilous to me - easing the risk a little - but not enough to lower it to a truly comfortable level - and lessen the stress - even though there is the chance to....not going there because that has the potential to be financially dangerous - so the favoured choice....is to place the greater risk on us losing/ dropping - but that's ok as at least there's money left in the coffers.

....If I was a player seeing his comments - would I care less ?

;D

The Bedlington Terrier
07-08-2017, 05:48 PM
Keane out, Boyd out, Barton out, Darikwa out, Robinson out.

Walters in, Cork in, Bardsley in, Taylor in.

Are we stronger or weaker?

Norder
07-08-2017, 05:51 PM
Keane out, Boyd out, Barton out, Darikwa out, Robinson out.

Walters in, Cork in, Bardsley in, Taylor in.

Are we stronger or weaker?

according to SD....he thinks we are - but not sure we are.

;D

The Bedlington Terrier
07-08-2017, 05:55 PM
Tarkowski off the bench, Defour back in stride, Westwood ready, Cork giving us options, I'd say we are stronger! :D

alfinyalcabo
07-08-2017, 06:39 PM
Time will tell.. It's going to be a long long haul.. We need to start picking up wins on our travels,because we won't match our home record of last season..IMHO

Turfmoorspirit
07-08-2017, 06:48 PM
I like the Burnley way ! No way that we can compete with the big guns in terms of wages and transfer fees, it would be financial suicide to even attempt it.. IMO..

Turfmoorspirit
07-08-2017, 06:49 PM
Time will tell.. It's going to be a long long haul.. We need to start picking up wins on our travels,because we won't match our home record of last season..IMHO Agreed !

army88
07-08-2017, 06:49 PM
Tarkowski off the bench, Defour back in stride, Westwood ready, Cork giving us options, I'd say we are stronger! :D

Im not sure we are any further forward Bt to be honest, it sounds good when you name the names.

Reality is the bench is stronger as you stated but the starting 11 isnt.

Our season could rest on one or two shoulders tbh , Brady being the main one and Defour ( if he gets the game time).

If they can step up it will really help --- we still need some more quality

thedonz
07-08-2017, 07:27 PM
We got a good number of points last season at home with subs coming off the bench so improving the depth of the squad is more progress being made.

I won't be totally happy though until a central defender is signed for this season.

Norder
07-08-2017, 08:11 PM

....this all "seems" to be edging too close to the limit for me - if we're starting just the other side of failure and we collapse at any point in the whole....then how's there enough lift in reserve to fill the deficiency - as in a team that's already stretching above and beyond itself - will have no room to manoeuvre.

;D

sinkov
07-08-2017, 08:23 PM
Sean just lowering expectations imo, something all Burnley managers become adept at. I can't argue with the general sentiment, however something doesn't add up, we're a club with a turnover of £120m plus, this close season we've spent around £20m. If we've spent all we can afford this summer then the wage bill must have gone through the roof, which I'm sure it hasn't.

So where's the other £100m plus gone ?

alfinyalcabo
07-08-2017, 09:45 PM
Sean just lowering expectations imo, something all Burnley managers become adept at. I can't argue with the general sentiment, however something doesn't add up, we're a club with a turnover of £120m plus, this close season we've spent around £20m. If we've spent all we can afford this summer then the wage bill must have gone through the roof, which I'm sure it hasn't.

In Alto's back pocket.. Lol

Turfmoorspirit
07-08-2017, 09:55 PM

So where's the other £100m plus gone ? Dry powder room to safe gaurd the future of Burnley FC.. Oh ! and directors pockets..;D

Altobelli
07-08-2017, 11:28 PM

^ ^ ^ ^

Good question Sinkov

Dry powder room to safe gaurd the future of Burnley FC.. Oh ! and directors pockets..;D

^ ^ ^ ^ ^

Good Answer Spirit.

Because again we are not competing with less than 75% of our windfall spent on the team.

Also I think if you read Norder's post his comments make a lot of sense, unlike our Board and it's mouthpiece Dyche who has to toe the line as he's employed by the folk who hold all the purse strings.

For me the buys just in have strengthened the team, but not enough, and as I've stated before having a very large Bank balance will not help us defend well or score many goals.

sinkov
08-08-2017, 12:02 AM
And I'd forgotten the Keane money, you can add another £20m or so on top of the £100m. Someone is taking the piss.

The Bedlington Terrier
08-08-2017, 05:37 AM
I think we now employ 350 people on a full time basis. Burnley Football club is now quite a big operation that needs funding, the business does not run singularly behind a first eleven.

I mentioned my proposed starting eleven against Chelsea plus a bench which did not even include Barnes or Arfield.

Not quite understanding the clarion call to spunk £20 odd million other than for a misjudged vanity project. Not sure Dyche can be regarded as a mouthpiece for the Board either Alto.

We are in great shape both on and off the pitch and I'm at a loss to understand how folk can think otherwise.

Some on here remind me a lot of how my wife thinks. "I have 18 perfectly good dresses, 4 in reserve for a rainy day but because we have a spare couple of bob, I should go out and buy another 3, even though I really have enough already!" :?

sinkov
08-08-2017, 07:55 AM
Not quite understanding the clarion call to spunk £20 odd million other than for a misjudged vanity project.

First time I've heard surviving in the PL, with it's huge financial rewards, called a misjudged vanity project. It does get a bit tedious, these continuing claims that some fans want the club to throw the kitchen sink at it, and put the financial future of the club at risk. No they don't, no one on here has suggested that, what they would like is the maximum amount possible spent on strengthening the team, within our accepted financial constraints, which is a perfectly reasonable position to take.

It seems to be accepted that a club can safely spend around 65% of turnover on transfers and wages, in our case this year that would equate to around £95m, we've spent around £20m so far leaving £75m to cover the wages side, and as they are nowhere near that amount there is clearly the money available to bring in better players, and any suggestion from the club that there isn't is patronising nonsense.

The Bedlington Terrier
08-08-2017, 11:36 AM
sinkov, just buy into the "Burnley Way?" It's good! :D

sinkov
08-08-2017, 11:51 AM
sinkov, just buy into the "Burnley Way?" It's good! :D

I would if I knew just what it was BT. A few weeks ago Mr Garlick was saying we'd spent £32m last season, and would have to spend more this season. Now Sean appears to be saying we've spent around £20m and that's your lot. It might help to know the Burney way if they could sing from the same hymn sheet occasionally.

The Bedlington Terrier
08-08-2017, 12:53 PM
Garlick says the money is available if SD wants it.

SD says it's hard to spend it wisely.

Truthfully right now what do we need?

Donzy for some reason wants a centre back.

In reality we have not replaced Boyd, so a wide man (or two) would be a treat.

We need another goalkeeper to replace Robinson.

Honestly, I don't see what the problem is! :confused:

Altobelli
08-08-2017, 02:08 PM

Have a better look

http://img1.imagehousing.com/0/jghhgjygjhgjhb-358740.gif (http://www.imagehousing.com/image/jghhgjygjhgjhb/1324522)

The Bedlington Terrier
08-08-2017, 02:21 PM
In truth we have lost Keane and replaced him with Tarkowski which was the reason why we bought him.

Cork, Walters, Bardsley and Taylor are better than what we had in Barton, Boyd and Kightly.

Brady, Defour, Hendrick, Gudmundsson and Westwood are all quality midfielders.

What's the problem?

sinkov
08-08-2017, 02:56 PM
What we need, and this is just my opinion, is another CB to put on the conveyor belt that delivered us Keane and Tarkovsky, to get rid of Gray, even at a loss, just get him down the road, and bring in a striker with the potential to get into double figures in the PL, and the flying winger we've needed for years now, that Polish lad at Hull looks like he could have been the answer, but we let him slip through our fingers, anyway one like him.

So that's three targets and one firesale striker to get rid of, not easy I know, but aren't we paying people good money to find these players and get the deals done ?

Supersub6
08-08-2017, 04:12 PM
They look for players, they try to do deals, players aren't necessarily attracted to Burnley because they know that they will be required to put a shift in --that is minimum requirement as far as the manager and the fans are concerned.
Looking at the things that SD has said, he has hit the nail on the head in saying that slow progress has to be made and, let's face it, it is his job on the line and nobody elses.
He must be reasonably satisfied with the way things are going because, according to all the speculation, he had the opportunity to move on and didn't.

The Bedlington Terrier
08-08-2017, 04:50 PM
What we need, and this is just my opinion, is another CB to put on the conveyor belt that delivered us Keane and Tarkovsky, to get rid of Gray, even at a loss, just get him down the road, and bring in a striker with the potential to get into double figures in the PL, and the flying winger we've needed for years now, that Polish lad at Hull looks like he could have been the answer, but we let him slip through our fingers, anyway one like him.

So that's three targets and one firesale striker to get rid of, not easy I know, but aren't we paying people good money to find these players and get the deals done ?

Hate to keep on banging the Anderson drum but he is on the conveyor belt or SD would have shut him.

Sam Clucas is the one we want from Hull, just hope it happens.

Gray is neither here or there because Walters, Vokes and Barnes are all in the queue in front of him.

If Gray goes a replacement will already be nailed on. At present SD is playing poker with a pair of aces and he will hold out for £20 million.

ClaretinBudapest
08-08-2017, 05:36 PM
We need a couple of pacy wingers-it is so obviously missing from our team for at least 3 seasons.Why they let the Polish man slip away I will never know.

thedonz
08-08-2017, 06:32 PM
Hey, drummer boy, if Gray is No 4 striker why so much talk ?

oldcolner
08-08-2017, 06:54 PM
I suspect Sean is looking for bargains in the Fire Sale window with clubs like Arsenal desperate to trim their squad or loans of young talent.

This guy Patrick Roberts had a storming season at Celtic on loan from City and was expected to go abroad but it's fallen through and they hope to get him back.

Celtic are one of 12 clubs pursuing the signature of Manchester City winger Patrick Roberts.
The 20-year-old spent 18 months on loan at Celtic Park, winning the treble last season, and is expected to leave City permanently ahead of the new season.
Nice, Porto and clubs from England and Germany are also keen on signing the England Under-20

On 6 December 2016, Roberts scored an impressive solo goal and was named man of the match in a Champions League match against his parent club Manchester City. He finished the 2016–2017 season with 43 appearances and 15 goals, helping Celtic to complete an unbeaten domestic season, in which the club secured its sixth consecutive league title.

There will be others like him

Norder
09-08-2017, 02:59 PM
Garlick says the money is available if SD wants it.

but how much....?

S.D - “Business-wise it’s not going to be enough financially to jump massively with wages and fees."

....and to what level ?

S.D - "I can only manage what is given to me. Every now and then I get frustrated. I think: ‘Why can’t we get that? Give me a chance to get this.’

....it's called - Confusion.

:D

thedonz
09-08-2017, 04:24 PM
Dyche says it as it is. I remember Michael Kightly recently saying that when he was at Wolves , it was the breaking of their wage structure following first season Premier League survival , that broke the dressing room , and led to relegation 2 seasons later.

oldcolner
09-08-2017, 04:29 PM
Hey, drummer boy, if Gray is No 4 striker why so much talk ?

Is his loss inching us forwards or backwards I wonder.

We haven't done badly with our striker sales have we! Charlie, Jay, Danny, Andre, and two got England caps - I think!

The Bedlington Terrier
09-08-2017, 04:33 PM
This was a complete no-brainer, keep an unhappy player or bag another £20 million (or thereabouts!) and get a few in who have not got "Billy Big Bollox Syndrome".

This is The Burnley Way and I like it!