PDA

View Full Version : Favourite Toon quotes

HughieG
07-08-2017, 09:07 PM
Here are some of mine:

Keegan's "I will love it if we beat them"-rant.

"What is a club in any case? Not the buildings or the director or the people who are paid to represent it. It's not the television contracts, get-out clauses, marketing departments or executive boxes. It's the noise, the passion, the feeling of belonging, the pride in your city. It's a small boy clambering up stadium steps for the very first time, gripping his father's hand, gawping at that hallowed stretch of turf beneath him and - without being able to do a thing about it - falling in love."
- Sir Bobby Robson

"I have never heard noise like it in my life when Newcastle scored - this place is unbelievable"
- Petr Cech

“Nowhere else in the world can you travel into the centre of a town or city and find the football stadium squeezed between the streets where people live their lives, only to then put them on hold on a Saturday to watch their team play. When the FIFA delegation arrive in Newcastle this week, I hope they are stunned by the sight of St James’ Park. By the way it dominates the skyline, a sporting citadel and the heartbeat of the city - in a city that breathes football.”
- Arsene Wenger

"I'm falling in love with Newcastle - I hope to stay for many years"
- Rafa Benitez

"People are very proud of Newcastle, very proud to come from here. This is a working class city, and they just want to enjoy themselves and live life to the full. They work all week, pick their wages up at the end of the week and they spend it over the weekend by having a good time and watching the football. That's our life."
- Alan Shearer

"I didn't come here for the culture or the climate, but I want to adapt. I have discovered Newcastle Brown Ale and my ambition is to speak Geordie as well as Peter Beardsley."
- David Ginola

"Hi fans"
- Moussa Sissoko

Jammy89
07-08-2017, 09:50 PM
"What is a club in any case? Not the buildings or the director or the people who are paid to represent it. It's not the television contracts, get-out clauses, marketing departments or executive boxes. It's the noise, the passion, the feeling of belonging, the pride in your city. It's a small boy clambering up stadium steps for the very first time, gripping his father's hand, gawping at that hallowed stretch of turf beneath him and - without being able to do a thing about it - falling in love."
- Sir Bobby Robson

Brilliant one - i love that, one of my all time favourites.

[SIZE=2]"Hi fans"
- Moussa Sissoko[/COLOR]

XD XD

For me, another Bobby one - well said buy Howard Wilkinson but still a Bobby one:

"My best memories of Bobby are the funny ones, all the more funny because he remained blissfully unaware, nor offended that his faux pas became a source of such fun.

"At one England Under-21 gathering, I selected Shola Ameobi who was a young striker at Newcastle under him. Bobby had also bought at great expense Carl Cort, a striker from Wimbledon.

"Shola had about six Christian names, most of them, to me, unpronounceable and in an attempt to put him at his ease on his debut performance, I called the lad over and asked him what Bobby called him when he was at the club.

"With absolutely no sense of resentment, rather more with a sense of love and understanding, Shola said, 'Carl Cort, mostly'.

HughieG
07-08-2017, 11:01 PM

XD XD

For me, another Bobby one - well said buy Howard Wilkinson but still a Bobby one:

"My best memories of Bobby are the funny ones, all the more funny because he remained blissfully unaware, nor offended that his faux pas became a source of such fun.

"At one England Under-21 gathering, I selected Shola Ameobi who was a young striker at Newcastle under him. Bobby had also bought at great expense Carl Cort, a striker from Wimbledon.

"Shola had about six Christian names, most of them, to me, unpronounceable and in an attempt to put him at his ease on his debut performance, I called the lad over and asked him what Bobby called him when he was at the club.

"With absolutely no sense of resentment, rather more with a sense of love and understanding, Shola said, 'Carl Cort, mostly'.

Haha, that really made me laugh Jammy. I suppose he was getting old when he was at our club - still one of the best managers we've ever had. And yep, agree with the first one you quoted, it's so poetic and true. Not just for our club and fans, but for many others. There's nothing you can do about it - through bad and good times, we've all at one point or another fallen in love with this club!

toptoon
08-08-2017, 12:01 AM

I love that one too because I was one of those small boys and that is exactly what happened to me the first time I climbed the steps and saw the pitch for the first time - only difference was that it was my Grandfather and not father who took me.

Sir Bobby truely understood NUFC, Newcastle and the Geordies.

ghostrider
08-08-2017, 07:14 AM
My granddad's words were the most memorable for me.
He carried me up the steps of the gallowgate, on his shoulders.
All the way up the steps he said, "Davey lad, I might be coughing and wheezing and feeling a bit unsteady on my feet whilst carrying you up these steps into this ground of worship, but it's a weight I carry with pride, into a stadium that is my pride and joy."

I'll never forget those words from him.
He actually collapsed at the very top step and was taken to hospital, leaving me to watch the game on my own. I wanted to follow him but as he was laid there being attended to, he came round a little bit and beckoned me to his ear and said, " Davey lad, you make sure you stay and cheer on the team and come and see me to tell me all about it in hospital."

I watched the game and then went to the hospital to see granddad. He was sitting up in the bed and looking much better. I was getting mucky looks from the hospital staff as they came over to see how he was and those passing by.
My granddad had told then that I had badgered him to shoulder carry me or I'd have a tantrum and it became too much for him.
Imagine how guilty I felt and also gutted that he'd grass me like that.

Talk about having my 18th birthday spoiled by a person who I believed was strong enough to carry me along.
I never asked for a shoulder carry from him from that day on. My granny offered but no way was I going to take the risk of her collapsing and me getting looked at like daggers.

I'll never forget her words though. She said: "David, I'd climb a mountain for you." I really believed that until I realised that she kept eyeing up my bag of sweet and sour Tudor crisps up.

Anyway a top saying from John (budgie) Burridge: He said something like, I'd walk on my hands over broken glass from Durham to St.James park to play for the black and whites.

I didn't quote it because I can't remember exactly what he said to the word but it stuck firmly in my mind about his passion for the club and the people.