PDA

View Full Version : Ryan Leonard

boltonblade
08-08-2017, 10:39 AM
Whats the crack with this lad? Something tells me he's not that bothered about joining our brotherhood. Just seen his goal & celebration from the weekend. He looks pretty settled to me at Southend.

Surely time to move on from him now....even though he does appear to be a talent.

I'd be interested in seeing how Brooksy does against walsall and if he show cases then he'd be my Leonard alternative. Tricky, Skilful and can finish. He also will cost us ZERO DOLLAR!!!!

Focus the ££££ on a fast striker!!!

BB

PaleThinBoy
08-08-2017, 11:03 AM
Brooks is more offensively orientated than Leonard. My understanding is Leonard is more of a Ball Winning Midfielder.

herbert
08-08-2017, 11:14 AM
Yep, totally different players.

I don't think we even need another midfielder. I'd like a ball winner, but we can get by until January, when we'll have Whiteman to recall. And we shouldn't block his path to the team too much.

We could spend a few hundred grand on someone like Leonard, but with Coutts and Fleck established in there, would it be worth it given how much he'd probably play? For above 500k, I'd say not. I'd rather we leave it and get him cheaper in the future, if we need him.

GuancheBlade
08-08-2017, 11:57 AM
I'll disagree I think we need him now and so does CW. Leonard is a box to box midfielder with a tremendous engine scores a few goals and is rarely injured. The intensity of the game on Saturday shows we need options in midfield otherwise the likes of Coutts and Fleck will experience burn out well before the season ends. Brentford pressed us for 90 minutes, Coutts and Flecks best work on Saturday was defensive not what they are used to at Home although I'll settle for a similar level of performance at Boro on Saturday. We can't afford to be on the back foot at Home for long periods so we need an option to break up the oppositions midfield allowing our more creative midfield players time on the ball.

Lundstram is not Leonard he is a Coutts type player. We don't have anyone like Leonard yet most teams in this division play with at least one Leonard type. We are still after Leonard but our transfer strategy seems to be hope Southend cave in on transfer deadline day. The player has made it clear he wants to leave and won't be signing a new contract we are dragging our feet and the risk is he has a storming month his value goes up and the likes of Norwich who were previously interested nip in and nick him.

I suspect this transfer is the one where CW is getting frustrated when he talks about needing to get players in. Not sure if we are sailing close to FFP with us supposedly bidding over £1 million for Lenighan and probably wanting a pacy forward in as well. We need to get Brayfords wages off the books but that may not happen until 31st August so its a waiting game that could back fire on us.

How can we be anywhere near the FFP limits after the Maguire and Walker windfalls??

bulmer1889
08-08-2017, 12:32 PM
Can't believe I'm saying it but I said it on sat we need a centre half half so we can move basham into the middle he's like Leonard gets up and down and breaks things up,I never rated him much in the middle but he upped his game in the run in and still appears to be at that level,we could have done with him in there on sat but then that leaves the back four light,so either a midfielder like Leonard or a centre half and move bash there

Incidentally the view from Blackburn fans is lenighan is a defensive middie not a centre half in their opinion and he's just broke his toe by all accounts

CHIPBUTTYBLADE
08-08-2017, 12:56 PM
They not Bovvered about our £'s.