PDA

View Full Version : Megson,5 incoming?

WBA53
08-08-2017, 01:03 PM
http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/heres-what-gary-megson-say-13447819
5 maybe by the end of the January winter window :?

BaggieBlood
08-08-2017, 01:28 PM
I love Meggo, but there is more chance of 5 of saddam hussain's wmd finally being fired hitting vile park than 5 incoming at the hawthorns before Saturday.

Having thought about it I'd prefer the former scenario anyway.

Johnny on the spot 1
08-08-2017, 02:38 PM
Is he deluded ? he must have that West Brom virus poor bloke ,

Joy_Division
08-08-2017, 02:52 PM
They will be lucky to get five through the turnstiles the way they are going. :mad:

vikingwarriorking
08-08-2017, 04:22 PM
We all think the same - it ain't gonna happen.
I even think nothing will happen before we lose to Bournemouth 0-2
Apparently we are chasing Gibson again- another CH- who has 1 year & a relegation year in the Prem and has a fee of over £20m!!

TP says we have to wait til big clubs finish but their targets are never ours and their playeras would not come to us. So surely we had focus on the likeliest lads- but no we do nowt. Megson doing some PR about 5 incoming.
The only 5 incoming will be goals against in first 3 games.
Still I've got us for relegation at 6-1 may as well make something from this annual shambles.
But when we go - we ain't ever coming back not with Lai & Hammond & Williams in charge . TP will walk away before Christmas
And we will collapse- 13 senior prtofessionals- miracle medics on aging bodies- is you having a larff- but not laughing here

Roymit
08-08-2017, 09:09 PM
Dear vikingwarriorking,

Whatever the prescription is you're on it's not working.

Get straight back to the doctor and tell them, "I said I wanted HAPPY pills!"

They really do work.

BaggieBlood
08-08-2017, 11:50 PM
With the lack of signings and the cost long boats these days viking gets a tad vexed.

vikingwarriorking
09-08-2017, 05:52 AM
Dear vikingwarriorking,

Whatever the prescription is you're on it's not working.

Get straight back to the doctor and tell them, "I said I wanted HAPPY pills!"

They really do work.

I genuinely think you are deluded if you think this is not a relegation dogfight from Saturday onwards................ Happy pills won't be enough but keep taking them til Christmas then I suggest you apply for an NHS frontal lobotomy that should just about begin to cover it.
And if I'm wrong- please feel free to rip the p..s out of me.
Til then what with the cost of longships and the total lack of quality pillaging I'm hoping my 6-1 bet for relegation will help me cope with this annual shambles, as I witness and you will too if you get off the happy tablets, a team in deep trouble from the off

Yarmbaggie
09-08-2017, 06:03 AM
http://https://www.sportinglife.com/football/news/premier-league-tips:-relegation/94266

Hope this link works as never done it before.

Viking old chap you have some support for your relegation bet. Hope you are already on because after this article the 6/1 is likely to get shorter!

Baggies_Boy_Tony
09-08-2017, 06:22 AM
Didn't work, Yarm, try this

https://www.sportinglife.com/football

BaggieBlood
09-08-2017, 12:36 PM
I am a bit concerned for your welfare viking, as you sound very down.

How about this for something to look forward to for you.

Would it cheer you up if I suggested to the wba supporters club that we dress up as vikings for the last away game at palace?

By then, if we are relegated (odin forbid) you could spend your winnings on a deposit for that expensive longship and make even more money from our relegation and charge us mere mortals to go down south on the canals in your new pride and joy.

We'd get there looking the part and ready to pillage the palace.

Even better you could have a whip round on this forum amongst the anti pulis lot and put a reward on his head.

Then with said head secured you could sail through traitors gate (specification of longship permitting) and stick his head on a pike.

Surely that scenario will keep you smiling for 5 seconds at least.

vikingwarriorking
09-08-2017, 07:26 PM
I am a bit concerned for your welfare viking, as you sound very down.

How about this for something to look forward to for you.

Would it cheer you up if I suggested to the wba supporters club that we dress up as vikings for the last away game at palace?

By then, if we are relegated (odin forbid) you could spend your winnings on a deposit for that expensive longship and make even more money from our relegation and charge us mere mortals to go down south on the canals in your new pride and joy.

We'd get there looking the part and ready to pillage the palace.

Even better you could have a whip round on this forum amongst the anti pulis lot and put a reward on his head.

Then with said head secured you could sail through traitors gate (specification of longship permitting) and stick his head on a pike.

Surely that scenario will keep you smiling for 5 seconds at least.

Now I see why this board descends into sniddyness & silliness.
I have never blamed TP-though I hate the way he plays -he has done a great job with very limited resources. I blame Lai, Williams, Hammond.
Dress up anyway you want it won't dress up the fact that we are in a mess- and it's every year ....same transfer shambles.
If you read what I say rather than whistling in the dark you would acknowledge my point of view has some merit. Not asking you to agree but suggest why I should think otherwise.
The viking jibes are beneath you. Just give some footballing reasons why my prediction is without merit. Might be more useful don't you think?- [hint] more than 1 way to read last phrase!!

baggieal
09-08-2017, 09:05 PM
Now I see why this board descends into sniddyness & silliness.
I have never blamed TP-though I hate the way he plays -he has done a great job with very limited resources. I blame Lai, Williams, Hammond.
Dress up anyway you want it won't dress up the fact that we are in a mess- and it's every year ....same transfer shambles.
If you read what I say rather than whistling in the dark you would acknowledge my point of view has some merit. Not asking you to agree but suggest why I should think otherwise.
The viking jibes are beneath you. Just give some footballing reasons why my prediction is without merit. Might be more useful don't you think?- [hint] more than 1 way to read last phrase!!

" I hate the way he plays" Then " he has done a great job with very limited resources" Your second quote perhaps is the reason why he sets up shop not to be beaten with a thread bare squad and a lack of quality! Anybody with half a brain would do the same!

For me - Lai can stick his cheap bottle of lager right up his arse hole! I don't want a crap bottle of lager as there will be plenty of them to sup at the cricket club against Burnley. Pulis needs quality which comes with the purse strings being opened.

I hope if we loss to Bournemouth, we don't have to suffer the anti Pulis comments on here. Why don't these whingers do something constructive and make - feck you Williams and Lai Banners or even throw oranges at them at the game!

So back to a bottle of piss to appease the supporters and no signings. Does Lai think everyone is brainless who watch West Brom as he must do! 21,000 free bottles of lager/soft drinks will no doubt cost 10 grand at most! That 10K would not even pay for Gareth Barrys wheel chair which is needed as he's that slow!

9goals2hattricks3pen
09-08-2017, 09:18 PM
And back to the subject.

I desperately want to see some money spent on a player who will get me out of seat. The Mail reckons these could be the 5 in question

Gibson. 25million for a CH is a lorra lorra money but it does show ambition
Musa from Leics. Good option if it's on loan with option to buy.
Wilson, Barry, Ledley. No no no if its all 3. I could just about accept 1 as a squad player but all 3 grrrrr!

Will any of these get me out of my seat? Not much chance because if this is the best we can do I won't be in it very often.

BaggieBlood
09-08-2017, 09:41 PM
Viking I apologise for my feeble attempt to bring some levity to this thread.

Our current position in the table is worrying and your frustration is understandable

I can only suggest one thing to cheer you up, Bradford away on YouTube.

If that doesn't cheer you up until you collect your winnings nothing will.

Back to the topic, 9 goals, I have heard about the links to all apart from ledley,

I knew he was freed and tp tried to sign him when he left Cardiff but he chose celtic.

I would be happy with musa on loan and ledley on a year, maximum 2 year deal.

Wilson, we should wait and just takeover his contract as Bournemouth do not want him.

Gibson is overpriced Imo, and I'd like us to pay no more than 15m down with another 3m in add ons.

I don't want that vile Barry.

I wouldn't have minded if we went for Andre Gray as it would have meant we wouldn't be interested in deeney, who I think is too old and overpriced.

I still hope we could get Delph on loan instead of Barry.

Don't understand why we didn't try for chupo-motting as he could be the new odiouswhingie (on the pitch anyway).

Johnny on the spot 1
10-08-2017, 05:12 AM
Viking I apologise for my feeble attempt to bring some levity to this thread.

Our current position in the table is worrying and your frustration is understandable

I can only suggest one thing to cheer you up, Bradford away on YouTube.

If that doesn't cheer you up until you collect your winnings nothing will.

Back to the topic, 9 goals, I have heard about the links to all apart from ledley,

I knew he was freed and tp tried to sign him when he left Cardiff but he chose celtic.

I would be happy with musa on loan and ledley on a year, maximum 2 year deal.

Wilson, we should wait and just takeover his contract as Bournemouth do not want him.

Gibson is overpriced Imo, and I'd like us to pay no more than 15m down with another 3m in add ons.

I don't want that vile Barry.

I wouldn't have minded if we went for Andre Gray as it would have meant we wouldn't be interested in deeney, who I think is too old and overpriced.

I still hope we could get Delph on loan instead of Barry.

Don't understand why we didn't try for chupo-motting as he could be the new odiouswhingie (on the pitch anyway).

If those are the 5 mentioned on news now god help us , personally I wouldn't have then for free except for Gibson who we won't sign ,

Leicesterbaggie
10-08-2017, 08:10 AM
None of these really excite me but I'll go out on a limb here and say that I would take Barry, even at his age, because I think that he can play a bit!

Whicka_Mon
10-08-2017, 08:23 AM
" I hate the way he plays" Then " he has done a great job with very limited resources" Your second quote perhaps is the reason why he sets up shop not to be beaten with a thread bare squad and a lack of quality! Anybody with half a brain would do the same!

For me - Lai can stick his cheap bottle of lager right up his arse hole! I don't want a crap bottle of lager as there will be plenty of them to sup at the cricket club against Burnley. Pulis needs quality which comes with the purse strings being opened.

I hope if we loss to Bournemouth, we don't have to suffer the anti Pulis comments on here. Why don't these whingers do something constructive and make - feck you Williams and Lai Banners or even throw oranges at them at the game!

So back to a bottle of piss to appease the supporters and no signings. Does Lai think everyone is brainless who watch West Brom as he must do! 21,000 free bottles of lager/soft drinks will no doubt cost 10 grand at most! That 10K would not even pay for Gareth Barrys wheel chair which is needed as he's that slow!

All true but there is money there to be spent. If it is £40m then so be it. We have no left back at all. You cannot blame the chairman for that. We have 4 centre backs if you include Dawson. Why is a centre back a priority? Why are we prepared to throw over £20m at that position?
We are believing the spin from TP and then blaming the wrong people. Oh poor TP they won't give him any money to spend . When in reality there is money there. I repeat we have no left back. They have just let one go for nothing. Was he not better than not having one at all?

I do agree with your comments on Lai having no ambition. His real lack of his ambition is proven by persevering with Pulis. An ambitious chairman would build on what Pulis has done, move him aside, progress and improve. Pulis has reached his glass ceiling of tenth position.

Dubbag
10-08-2017, 10:46 AM
Well I notice a few players are not signing new contracts with their clubs all of a sudden....So perhaps the transfers will happen at the tail end of the closing in August......Annoying but this is the way it is.....you pay a premium buying early and most likely pay a premium buying late....we shall see.....

Roymit
10-08-2017, 11:26 AM
I genuinely think you are deluded if you think this is not a relegation dogfight from Saturday onwards................ Happy pills won't be enough but keep taking them til Christmas then I suggest you apply for an NHS frontal lobotomy that should just about begin to cover it.
And if I'm wrong- please feel free to rip the p..s out of me.
Til then what with the cost of longships and the total lack of quality pillaging I'm hoping my 6-1 bet for relegation will help me cope with this annual shambles, as I witness and you will too if you get off the happy tablets, a team in deep trouble from the off

Dear Viking,

You are of course invited to your opinion and I get where you're coming from. But the same things have been said about the club for the last 4 years. There are some posters who swore they'd never come back because we were doomed; some who said we'd finish bottom, some who've said we'd be down before Xmas, etc., etc.

None of these things have come to pass. Now, no one could disagree that the club is not in the best shape but a shambles? An annual shambles? Really? An annual shambles wouldn't end up being 10th in the most competitive league in Europe. Not the best I'm keen to add before people jump up and down, but the most competitive. So, who is getting things right or wrong at the club?

Of course one season it may come to pass that we don't get away with having a tough gritty determined team playing to a defensive system that frustrates a lot of teams but can't handle most of the top six - but that's how Pulis keeps us up and that's how the club makes it's money. I don't know if we'll stay up but I suspect there are very few managers who are a better bet, as it were, at doing so - at least managers who are free. As to the money we need to spend, yep, let's try and spend some of the 40m million but I have no doubt the club are not prepared to spend silly money at a time when everyone else is.

I have to add, that it is of course, the hope that kills.

baggieal
10-08-2017, 11:26 AM
All true but there is money there to be spent. If it is £40m then so be it. We have no left back at all. You cannot blame the chairman for that. We have 4 centre backs if you include Dawson. Why is a centre back a priority? Why are we prepared to throw over £20m at that position?
We are believing the spin from TP and then blaming the wrong people. Oh poor TP they won't give him any money to spend . When in reality there is money there. I repeat we have no left back. They have just let one go for nothing. Was he not better than not having one at all?

I do agree with your comments on Lai having no ambition. His real lack of his ambition is proven by persevering with Pulis. An ambitious chairman would build on what Pulis has done, move him aside, progress and improve. Pulis has reached his glass ceiling of tenth position.

A manager identifies the targets and the Board go and get them with negotiation and paying the correct price. Not the fault of Pulis that West Broms valuation of a player is way off from the selling club and another club comes in and snaps the player away and pays the correct price. Even with salaries/contracts West Brom never get in right - remember Super Kev - Shane Long and even the recently departed Fletcher who is on more cash at Stoke. Is that the fault of the manager?

Don't feel anything for Pulis either way but he's an employee and will say - god help us if he were to leave with our patched up squad. If you can't see that - take a visit to Spec Savers! Lets just hope Rondon can score against Bournemouth - even one of three sitters! Defoe will get one chance and most likely score. That's the difference - it's called quality!

Quality is not a free bottle of piss water before the game setting back our rich Chinese chum - 10K at most!

Johnny on the spot 1
10-08-2017, 11:56 AM
Where's are players we are signing this week ?

vikingwarriorking
10-08-2017, 12:28 PM
Dear Viking,

You are of course invited to your opinion and I get where you're coming from. But the same things have been said about the club for the last 4 years. There are some posters who swore they'd never come back because we were doomed; some who said we'd finish bottom, some who've said we'd be down before Xmas, etc., etc.

None of these things have come to pass. Now, no one could disagree that the club is not in the best shape but a shambles? An annual shambles? Really? An annual shambles wouldn't end up being 10th in the most competitive league in Europe. Not the best I'm keen to add before people jump up and down, but the most competitive. So, who is getting things right or wrong at the club?

Of course one season it may come to pass that we don't get away with having a tough gritty determined team playing to a defensive system that frustrates a lot of teams but can't handle most of the top six - but that's how Pulis keeps us up and that's how the club makes it's money. I don't know if we'll stay up but I suspect there are very few managers who are a better bet, as it were, at doing so - at least managers who are free. As to the money we need to spend, yep, let's try and spend some of the 40m million but I have no doubt the club are not prepared to spend silly money at a time when everyone else is.

I respect your comments- they are well made & I admit to a pessimism & scepticism about the future.
Our form post-Xmas was relegation form- our friendlies against our peers all ended in defeat. I think TP does a great job with the resources but I think we will run out of road- the teams around us have strengthened and we have an untried Egyptian CH & Rodriguez who may be a find but it isn't anywhere near enough.
I hope you are right and I am a moaning minnie .
You keep hoping - I'll keep despairing - the results will be the same but I'm @ least readying for the worst- & I have my 6-1 bet for relegation for cold comfort and will be happy not to collect - very happy.
But like you and like us all my heart and soul belongs to the Baggies!!!

Whicka_Mon
10-08-2017, 01:56 PM
I tell you what then give me some money. I won't spend it then i'll blame you for not spending it. That is what your saying.

As far as me going to specsavers. I would have carried Shane Long to Hull naked for what we sold him for. How was that deal not getting it right? I suppose the Berahino deal was wrong as well or flogging Greening for more money than he was worth or Curtis Davies or Enzo Maresca. The list is endless of great deals this club has got for players. Saying three players and then making sweeping statements about the club getting it never getting it right is just ridiculous.
You will need to prove Fletcher is on more money at Stoke or I ay believing ya. Maybe he didn't fancy running up hills all summer.
Quality doesn't have to cost loads of money Vardy cost Leicester £1m

Johnny on the spot 1
10-08-2017, 02:13 PM
I tell you what then give me some money. I won't spend it then i'll blame you for not spending it. That is what your saying.

As far as me going to specsavers. I would have carried Shane Long to Hull naked for what we sold him for. How was that deal not getting it right? I suppose the Berahino deal was wrong as well or flogging Greening for more money than he was worth or Curtis Davies or Enzo Maresca. The list is endless of great deals this club has got for players. Saying three players and then making sweeping statements about the club getting it never getting it right is just ridiculous.
You will need to prove Fletcher is on more money at Stoke or I ay believing ya. Maybe he didn't fancy running up hills all summer.

Hi Whicka
I agree with a lot of what your saying but quality cost money as it does in all walks of life out of football , Vardy was an exception turned out an really great bargain , as did our very own Regis , but they are the exceptions not the norm ,

WBA123
10-08-2017, 02:39 PM
Hi Whicka
I agree with a lot of what your saying but quality cost money as it does in all walks of life out of football , Vardy was an exception turned out an really great bargain , as did our very own Regis , but they are the exceptions not the norm ,

I disagree with that actually, in football terms at least. I see a lot of over inflated prices for average players. On the flip side I think there's great value out there, especially in the lower leagues. Gareth McCauley cost us nothing, Dawson cost us £500k from Rochdale. John Stones cost Everton £200k from Barnsley, Joe Hart cost Man City £500k from Shrewsbury. Harry Kane cost Spurs nothing. Mahrez cost Leicester £400k. Coutinho cost Liverpool £8m and they're talking about selling him for £120m.

There are gems out there, they just need to be found.

Whicka_Mon
10-08-2017, 03:34 PM
Hi Whicka

Totally agree mate . Al just keeps banging on about Bournemouth, Defoe over and over again. The cold hard fact is Quality is not a thing Pulis looks for in a player.
All players cost virtually nothing at some point in their career. Leko has more quality in his standing foot than McClean has in both so did Gnabry and Sess. But McClean runs about a lot so he gets the nod.
The club should be commended for where it is and what it has cost to get there. No sugar daddy it had just stood on it's own two feet. Everything this club has achieved has been earned on the field.Not being slagged off by it's own supporters for not spending fortunes on average players just because every other club does.
If I was a player I wouldn't sign for a club who's manager has defined me as a scrap of food, left over that nobody else wants.

Whicka_Mon
10-08-2017, 03:36 PM
I disagree with that actually, in football terms at least. I see a lot of over inflated prices for average players. On the flip side I think there's great value out there, especially in the lower leagues. Gareth McCauley cost us nothing, Dawson cost us £500k from Rochdale. John Stones cost Everton £200k from Barnsley, Joe Hart cost Man City £500k from Shrewsbury. Harry Kane cost Spurs nothing. Mahrez cost Leicester £400k. Coutinho cost Liverpool £8m and they're talking about selling him for £120m.

All good points.

9goals2hattricks3pen
10-08-2017, 05:05 PM
Dear Viking,

There is one for me very important aspect where I consider us to be a shambles and that is providing me with some excitement, entertainment and anticipation for the new season.

Roymit
10-08-2017, 06:54 PM
I respect your comments- they are well made & I admit to a pessimism & scepticism about the future.
Our form post-Xmas was relegation form- our friendlies against our peers all ended in defeat. I think TP does a great job with the resources but I think we will run out of road- the teams around us have strengthened and we have an untried Egyptian CH & Rodriguez who may be a find but it isn't anywhere near enough.
I hope you are right and I am a moaning minnie .
You keep hoping - I'll keep despairing - the results will be the same but I'm @ least readying for the worst- & I have my 6-1 bet for relegation for cold comfort and will be happy not to collect - very happy.
But like you and like us all my heart and soul belongs to the Baggies!!!

That's the spirit! And yes - we are both bonkers. Why else would we support this club?!

baggieal
10-08-2017, 07:17 PM

But Pulis is not the one negotiating - don't you get it! The money men just won't ever pay the going rate and try to get players for peanuts! Well many would rather have Shane Long back even now than Rondon - at least Long has got pace and knows where the net is. Then again lets all blame Pulis for Rondon missing sitters that a school kid could score. Oh - I forgot he holds the fecking ball up well!

So are you saying Fletcher went to Stoke as the clayhead area appeals - bull****! It was for more cash which again West Brom were not prepared to pay!

Vardy was a one off and yes there are one offs still around but it's finding them. You pay more for quality - if you want decent vege and fruit you go to Waitrose or M and S - if you want it cheap and cheerful you go to Aldi where its usually out of date. Some of our players are out of date as they are devoid of pace and quality!

We have a couple of decent youngsters. Leko needs to be loaned out and look up and learn how to pass at crucial times. Field is a decent prospect but for me too light weight and again could do with a good kickin in the championship to learn his trade.

Admit it - you hate Pulis and no doubt drafting your whinge now if Bournemouth turn us over!!! Lets have a chat in the cricket club at Burnley - will you be there? ;D ;D

Johnny on the spot 1
10-08-2017, 07:23 PM

Yes we know their are gems out their 123 , like you say its finding them ? Easy !

BaggieBlood
10-08-2017, 09:02 PM
Wicka man what's the difference between you constantly repeating pulis's training methods and style of play preventing players from signing and Al mentioning defoe and Bournemouth a lot?

Furthermore the long deal was terrible, Imo he was a good player and that great price we got for him was more than doubled when Southampton bought him less than 6 months later.

Whicka_Mon
11-08-2017, 07:53 AM
Wicka man what's the difference between you constantly repeating pulis's training methods and style of play preventing players from signing and Al mentioning defoe and Bournemouth a lot?

Furthermore the long deal was terrible, Imo he was a good player and that great price we got for him was more than doubled when Southampton bought him less than 6 months later.

All about opinions mate. The Long deal in my view was good. He was a headless chicken. Played well in spells usually 10 minutes per game. It didn't take long for him to occupy a place on Saint's bench.
The big mistake was Anechebe. We effectively gave Everton the money to loan Lukaku for a year. We should have broke the bank to sign him.
I wish I didn't have to keep harping on about Pulis style but people are assuming players are not signing because we won't pay the rate. I'm just throwing another view into it.

Whicka_Mon
11-08-2017, 08:02 AM
But Pulis is not the one negotiating - don't you get it! The money men just won't ever pay the going rate and try to get players for peanuts! Well many would rather have Shane Long back even now than Rondon - at least Long has got pace and knows where the net is. Then again lets all blame Pulis for Rondon missing sitters that a school kid could score. Oh - I forgot he holds the fecking ball up well!

So are you saying Fletcher went to Stoke as the clayhead area appeals - bull****! It was for more cash which again West Brom were not prepared to pay!

Vardy was a one off and yes there are one offs still around but it's finding them. You pay more for quality - if you want decent vege and fruit you go to Waitrose or M and S - if you want it cheap and cheerful you go to Aldi where its usually out of date. Some of our players are out of date as they are devoid of pace and quality!

We have a couple of decent youngsters. Leko needs to be loaned out and look up and learn how to pass at crucial times. Field is a decent prospect but for me too light weight and again could do with a good kickin in the championship to learn his trade.

Admit it - you hate Pulis and no doubt drafting your whinge now if Bournemouth turn us over!!! Lets have a chat in the cricket club at Burnley - will you be there? ;D ;D

Already admitted I hate Pulis. Did that months ago. I hated him at Stoke. My views are stronger now because I pay to watch the rubbish he serves up.
Not doing Burnley mate last time I went there was when we was in Division 3. We lost 2-1 I think. I missed our goal. It may have been Garner who scored it.

We can blame Pulis for Rondon. He signed him. If we can't then we can't credit him for signing Jonny Evans. Or does Pulis only sign the decent players? And it's someone else who signs the bad uns.
Long a goalscorer? Maybe if you compare him to Rondon or Ideye but not if you compare him to Odemwingie or Lukaku.

Albionic68
11-08-2017, 08:33 AM
Already admitted I hate Pulis. Did that months ago. I hated him at Stoke. My views are stronger now because I pay to watch the rubbish he serves up.
Not doing Burnley mate last time I went there was when we was in Division 3. We lost 2-1 I think. I missed our goal. It may have been Garner who scored it.

We can blame Pulis for Rondon. He signed him. If we can't then we can't credit him for signing Jonny Evans. Or does Pulis only sign the decent players? And it's someone else who signs the bad uns.
Long a goalscorer? Maybe if you compare him to Rondon or Ideye but not if you compare him to Odemwingie or Lukaku.

Some news which probably won't delight you........

https://www.wba.co.uk/news/2017/august/pulis-agrees-contract-extension/

Whicka_Mon
11-08-2017, 09:35 AM
Some news which probably won't delight you........

https://www.wba.co.uk/news/2017/august/pulis-agrees-contract-extension/

Thanks mate you've made my day. Lack of ambition from the board confirmed.
I truly hope I am wrong and all goes swimmingly well.

baggieal
11-08-2017, 10:32 AM
Thanks mate you've made my day. Lack of ambition from the board confirmed.
I truly hope I am wrong and all goes swimmingly well.

Lack of ambition from the board! This statement shows you are not a money person in business.

Finishing 10th for Lai with a threadbare squad and a huge profit is simply fantastic. Does Lai twist and invests 50 million plus to get higher. Consider Everton and what they spent/spend and do you think realistically we could get higher than them unless it's a fluke season.

So with little investment and the hope of finishing in the same position for 2017/2018 - it's no a no brainer for Lai to extend Pulis' contract. Again why would he want to twist and risk millions?

Whether you like it or not - or me - football is about results and points first at any cost and then entertainment. The reality is clubs don't even need fans anymore with the Sky money. Look at Bournemouth!

Perhaps you need to go watch a manager run a team like a Tony Mowbray - end to end and the defense conceding three goals and you got it - we lose 4-3.

Am I happy myself with the style of football - no not at all! I am just realistic and know Pulis does a decent job with the squad he has and the quality they lack. Not a managers fault that the ones with the purse strings won't pay the going rate for transfers or contracts to keep players. Pulis was gutted when Fletcher left for god sake - he did not leave because Stoke are better than us or Stoke is a leafy rich area with nice coffee shops - Fletcher was offered more cash!!! There lies your answer!

Whicka_Mon
11-08-2017, 11:05 AM
Seriously mate you talk about me not being a money man. Do you honestly think a good business decision is to buy a football club to make money?

Err that Mowbray team has been the only team in my lifetime to lift a trophy (not counting the play off). That mate is a memory which is more than we will get with Pulis. Unless you class Arsenal not being able to defend set pieces and gifting us a win.
People always use Mowbray as an arguement but just look at the quality in his teams with us. Then ask yourself how much those players cost. Kind of contradicts your arguement. Surely a far superior manager like our Tone can find quality at a similar price?

SwedishBaggie
11-08-2017, 12:01 PM
Lack of ambition from the board! This statement shows you are not a money person in business.

Finishing 10th for Lai with a threadbare squad and a huge profit is simply fantastic. Does Lai twist and invests 50 million plus to get higher. Consider Everton and what they spent/spend and do you think realistically we could get higher than them unless it's a fluke season.

So with little investment and the hope of finishing in the same position for 2017/2018 - it's no a no brainer for Lai to extend Pulis' contract. Again why would he want to twist and risk millions?

Whether you like it or not - or me - football is about results and points first at any cost and then entertainment. The reality is clubs don't even need fans anymore with the Sky money. Look at Bournemouth!

Perhaps you need to go watch a manager run a team like a Tony Mowbray - end to end and the defense conceding three goals and you got it - we lose 4-3.

Am I happy myself with the style of football - no not at all! I am just realistic and know Pulis does a decent job with the squad he has and the quality they lack. Not a managers fault that the ones with the purse strings won't pay the going rate for transfers or contracts to keep players. Pulis was gutted when Fletcher left for god sake - he did not leave because Stoke are better than us or Stoke is a leafy rich area with nice coffee shops - Fletcher was offered more cash!!! There lies your answer!

"Finishing 10th for Lai with a threadbare squad and a huge profit is simply fantastic." - Can't but agree with that, and, it is also what many (the majority?) of people outside our club think, makes you think, doesn't it...

SwedishBaggie
11-08-2017, 12:04 PM

Agreed 123, they are out there. The question is, are they easy to spot or not, in terms of knowing in advance if they will prosper and bloom, or not?

Whicka_Mon
11-08-2017, 12:08 PM
"Finishing 10th for Lai with a threadbare squad and a huge profit is simply fantastic." - Can't but agree with that, and, it is also what many (the majority?) of people outside our club think, makes you think, doesn't it...

Yeh i am sure he was over the moon losing £4m on the last day of the season after being eighth for virtually all 2017 up til that point. It was actually harder to finish 10th than 8th.

baggieal
11-08-2017, 12:24 PM
Yeh i am sure he was over the moon losing £4m on the last day of the season after being eighth for virtually all 2017 up til that point. It was actually harder to finish 10th than 8th.

I agree that should not have happened. That said 4 million is peanuts in the grand scheme of things - and the huge profit no doubt the club made. Taking Olsson and Fletcher off the payrole itself will have lightened this 4 million you mention and in any way you dress this up - will be lighter than any costs that have come in. Factor in - the Sky TV money will be the highest this year ever seen.

So Mr Lai - a big thank you for feck all in the way of additional quality and for sure - the small bottle of lager from you at a total cost of 10 grand ( if that ) will go down really well! If we lose on Saturday - back to fish and chips as a Saturday night chinky will be banned!

SwedishBaggie
11-08-2017, 12:49 PM

10th, a fantastic achievment, 8th, would have been even more fantastic. Where you finish is a result of the overall season results, your last comment defies logic therefore.

Albionic68
11-08-2017, 01:08 PM
So Mr Lai - a big thank you for feck all in the way of additional quality and for sure - the small bottle of lager from you at a total cost of 10 grand ( if that ) will go down really well!

It'll cost more than 10K with those prices down the Hawthorns Al', a LOT more :) .

Can't normally abide Carling but I won't be looking a gift horse in the mouth.

£3.90 is £3.90.

Not a fan of Rekorderlig either but at £4.20 a 'pop' I might just give it a go ;D .

Albionic68
11-08-2017, 01:10 PM
10th, a fantastic achievment, 8th, would have been even more fantastic. Where you finish is a result of the overall season results, your last comment defies logic therefore.

Pity Ben Foster had that rush of blood to the head away to Burnley.

holmleighchris
11-08-2017, 01:21 PM

Difference being those outside the club aren't watching the dire spectacle we do nearly every match.

Whicka_Mon
11-08-2017, 01:29 PM
Difference being those outside the club aren't watching the dire spectacle we do nearly every match.

Exactly. Which is why their comments should be ignored. Especially those who only watch highlights. Bit like watching a trailer for a movie then writing a full review of the film.

Whicka_Mon
11-08-2017, 01:32 PM

Exactly which is why their comments should be ignored. Especially those "pundits" who just watch highlights. Bit like watching a trailer for a film then writing a full film review.

Whicka_Mon
11-08-2017, 01:35 PM
Said that twice day I ?

Whicka_Mon
11-08-2017, 01:42 PM

Point taken.
If my comment defies logic what does going into the season with no left back define?

Albionic68
11-08-2017, 01:51 PM
Exactly. Which is why their comments should be ignored. Especially those who only watch highlights. Bit like watching a trailer for a movie then writing a full review of the film.

Careful Wicka Mon, you could be setting a dangerous precedent there.

You may have people suggesting we should also ignore the insights of Albion supporters who only watch us via highlights too.

Perish the thought, this site could be dead inside a week :O O:) ;D .

BaggieBlood
11-08-2017, 01:55 PM
All about opinions mate. The Long deal in my view was good. He was a headless chicken. Played well in spells usually 10 minutes per game. It didn't take long for him to occupy a place on Saint's bench.
The big mistake was Anechebe. We effectively gave Everton the money to loan Lukaku for a year. We should have broke the bank to sign him.
I wish I didn't have to keep harping on about Pulis style but people are assuming players are not signing because we won't pay the rate. I'm just throwing another view into it.

I don't think you'll find anybody who thought the sick vic deal was good, I just cling on to the hope that the rumour was true and it was £3m down and the rest of the £6m reported fee based on add ons.

Unless those adds on were based on days spent in treatment room instead of the usual appearances and goals, the money wasted on him could have been much worse.

SwedishBaggie
11-08-2017, 03:07 PM
Careful Wicka Mon, you could be setting a dangerous precedent there.

You may have people suggesting we should also ignore the insights of Albion supporters who only watch us via highlights too.

Perish the thought, this site could be dead inside a week :O O:) ;D .

Indeed Danny, indeed :-)

SwedishBaggie
11-08-2017, 03:09 PM
Pity Ben Foster had that rush of blood to the head away to Burnley.

Agreed - 3 points in the bag otherwise.

SwedishBaggie
11-08-2017, 03:11 PM

You might be surprised maybe how many do watch games (including ours) on the internet, afterwards maybe, but still.

SwedishBaggie
11-08-2017, 03:18 PM
Point taken.
If my comment defies logic what does going into the season with no left back define?

Not the same kind of defiance ;D

SwedishBaggie
11-08-2017, 04:40 PM
It'll cost more than 10K with those prices down the Hawthorns Al', a LOT more :) .

£3.90 is £3.90.

Not a fan of Rekorderlig either but at £4.20 a 'pop' I might just give it a go ;D .

"Rekorderlig", Swedish so called cider, crap, stay away!

holmleighchris
11-08-2017, 04:59 PM
You might be surprised maybe how many do watch games (including ours) on the internet, afterwards maybe, but still.

I watch just about every match live on the internet now, gave up my season ticket the season Irving was appointed, not because of the appointment, but for personal reasons. Only been to 6 games since. It's quite good watching at home, saves the drive to and from the games. What I do miss is the pre match gatherings at the Sportsman.
Are you saying there are people who are not Albion fans who watch them?

SwedishBaggie
11-08-2017, 05:08 PM
I watch just about every match live on the internet now, gave up my season ticket the season Irving was appointed, not because of the appointment, but for personal reasons. Only been to 6 games since. It's quite good watching at home, saves the drive to and from the games. What I do miss is the pre match gatherings at the Sportsman.
Are you saying there are people who are not Albion fans who watch them?

Yes, apart from the obvious, the opposing fans, PL freaks who watch almost all games, afterwards on tv or the internet.

SwedishBaggie
11-08-2017, 05:20 PM
Yes, apart from the obvious, the opposing fans, PL freaks who watch almost all games, afterwards on tv or the internet.

And of course media, experts, pundits, commentators etc.

baggieal
11-08-2017, 05:54 PM

£3.90 is £3.90.

Agreed 68 but then of course Peace negotiated the cost prices before feckin off with his 180 million! After supping a few pints in the cricket club at Burnely, I will be tempted to go to Accrington too for a laugh! Are you going?

See you in the cricket club to toast the doom mongers on here!