PDA

View Full Version : Leeds United - v - Port Vale - Carabao Cup 1st Round ***Matchday Thread***

BelfastAndy
08-08-2017, 05:02 PM
http://i65.tinypic.com/m7f4g0.png

RELAX - it's tomorrow evening!!!!

AHEAD of what will be Leeds United’s first competitive game at Elland Road of the new campaign, Lee Sobot looks at a few points to ponder in anticipation of the first round Carabao Cup clash with Port Vale. Cameron Borthwick-Jackson debut?

Leeds were in need of a new left back option even before Gaetano Berardi dislocated his shoulder in Sunday’s Championship opener at Bolton. But the impending arrival of 20-year-old Cameron Borthwick-Jackson on a season-long loan from Manchester United had been well documented and the defender officially joined Leeds the following day. There is nothing to suggest that Borthwick-Jackson will not be eligible to face Port Vale. So there must be every chance of the young defender making a full debut, especially now that fellow young left back Tyler Denton has himself joined Vale on a season-long loan. Denton, though, is ineligible to face Leeds.

With Berardi injured, Leeds head coach Thomas Christiansen’s only other option at left back is right-footed Vurnon Anita who replaced Berardi at Bolton and deeply impressed playing out of position. But Anita may well shift back to his more familiar role of right back if Luke Ayling is rested or Anita may even play in midfield which is after all his most recognised position. All in all, the chances of Borthwick-Jackson making a full Leeds debut are high. How will United’s patched-up defence look? United’s lack of options in defence is no secret and Sunday’s injuries to Matthew Pennington (ankle) and Gaetano Berardi (dislocated shoulder) were needed like a hole in the head. Leeds are still waiting to hear how long the duo will be sidelined for. With Pontus Jansson serving the final game of a three-match suspension, United only have three available centre-backs for the Vale clash and only one of them - Sunday’s Whites captain Liam Cooper - is a natural. Right back Ayling and midfielder Conor Shaughnessy are the others and it was Shaughnessy that filled the void left by Pennington at Bolton.

That suggests that Cooper will partner Shaughnessy against Vale and leaves three full backs competing for the positions at right back and left back out of Ayling, Anita and Borthwick-Jackson. At least we know who will be captain. Anita at right back, Borthwick-Jackson at left back and Ayling rested might be the call. Christiansen must also choose between current Felix Wiedwald, Rob Green or Bailey Peacock-Farrell in goal and with Wiedwald starting against Bolton that looks a toss up between Green or Peacock-Farrell. Green seems likely to be given the call. Widescale changes in midfield and upfront? Generally, the scale of the options available to United’s new head coach was clearly illustrated in United’s final pre-season friendly against Oxford United when Christiansen named 16 substitutes. Plenty of them were midfielders and there must be every chance of United’s head coach changing the entire ‘front six’ in front of United’s goalkeeper and back four. Christiansen will surely be keen to rest his star men with United hosting Preston in the league just three days later. Eunan O’Kane and Kalvin Phillips played the full 90 minutes in the two central midfield roles against Bolton but Mateusz Klich, Ronaldo Vieira and Liam Bridcutt are other options and two of that trio may well start.

Kemar Roofe and Gianni Alioski were given the nod out wide against Bolton but there must be every chance that Stuart Dallas and Hadi Sacko will be given a go. Likewise, Pablo Hernandez fulfilled the no 10 role against Bolton but Samuel Saiz, like Klich, will be itching to make his first competitive start for Leeds. And the same is true of new striker Caleb Ekuban who is the obvious alternative to Chris Wood for the lone striker role though Solueymane Doukara may well pop up on the match day 18 too.

The game would also seem perfect for Marcus Antonsson to be handed a run out but the Swede is now being linked with a loan move to Blackburn Rovers. But widescale changes look inevitable and it may well be that four players - Borthwick-Jackson, Klich, Saiz and Ekuban all make Leeds debuts. It may even be that Chrstiansen gives some of the under-23s players a go such as Madger Gomes though United’s head coach looks to have enough options as it is. Gomes, though, may well be on the bench. The second round draw United will first and foremost need to see off Vale and the Stoke-on-Trent side will arrive in good spirits after a 3-1 victory at Harry Kewell’s Crawley Town side on the opening day of the League Two season. But Michael Brown’s visitors are as big as 7-1 to win in 90 minutes or 7-2 just to qualify (Leeds are as short as 1-6 just to go through).

The Whites ought to be looking at a straight-forward progression. All eyes would then be on the second round draw which will take place on Thursday, live on Sky Sports News following the televised Bury versus Sunderland tie. The 13 Premier League clubs not competing in UEFA competitions will enter the competition, along with Hull City and Middlesbrough. The EFL have yet to announce if the draw will be seeded or regionalised. Leicester City or West Ham are two of the biggest names entering the competition in the next round but in the event that West Ham are drawn to play at home, the fixture will instead take place at the opposition’s venue, due to a previously agreed arrangement that the London Stadium was to stage the 2017 IAAF World Championships in August. The second round games will take place on either Tuesday, August 22, Wednesday, August 23 or Thursday, August 24 - in between United’s league trips to Sunderland and Nottingham Forest. A strong chance of three big away days in the space of a week.

4 - 0 us.

MOT.

Billyni
09-08-2017, 07:55 PM
Whats goin on ere?

Billyni
09-08-2017, 08:06 PM
Saiz who?

ColombianWhite
09-08-2017, 08:08 PM
Saiz hat trick !!

CromerWhite
Fckin hell, Siaz hat-trick!!!!!!!!!

norfolk white
Saiz both goals

norfolk white
09-08-2017, 08:10 PM
He's scoring quicker than I can type, seems we're scoring for fun this season.

WTF11
09-08-2017, 08:12 PM
Saiz both goals

All 3 (what was the point of the kick off after the second?) 😉

Just wish Sky didn't block the link, might have actually seen them! 😣

norfolk white
09-08-2017, 08:15 PM
16 shots 8 on target, I know it's only port vale but we're certainly more attack minded with TC.

Jezleeds
09-08-2017, 08:20 PM
I know it's only Port Vale, but watching us play at pace when attacking is a real pleasure - some of the interplay is really positive, and you feel like every player has a good first touch and confidence on the ball.

There's going to be real competition for places in this team.

It's going to be interesting seeing them play Fulham next week as a first real test against decent opposition. Preston won't be a walkover either, but perhaps more in the same league as Bolton.

Jezleeds
09-08-2017, 08:24 PM
Also been impressed with Ekuban - thought he was going to be another lump like Doukara, but he's got good control, holds up the ball to bring others in to play, and is pretty skilful on the ball - puts himself about and works hard too.

Alioski playing on the right is much more comfortable than he was on Saturday on the left - he looks dangerous and exciting in possession.

ColombianWhite
09-08-2017, 08:26 PM
sacko poor again tonight , going to struggle to make the team for preston ! dallas , roofe, Alioski and saiz in front of him now !

Jezleeds
09-08-2017, 08:29 PM
another really good goal!

ColombianWhite
Ekuban - get in good for his confidence
MOT

Billyni
Looks like attack is gonna be our best form of defense this season.

Jezleeds
09-08-2017, 08:30 PM
excellent work by Alioski to make the goal

norfolk white
09-08-2017, 08:32 PM
Seems we do have a plan B!

Billyni
09-08-2017, 08:36 PM
Maybe we havnt signed a bunch of foreign second raters after all.

BelfastAndy
09-08-2017, 08:39 PM
Uncle Andy only home from work. Missed it all. Brilliant result.....really good to hear newbies making an impression.

Billy, pick televised one and we'll do proper few pints....

Billyni
09-08-2017, 08:42 PM
Uncle Andy only home from work. Missed it all. Brilliant result.....really good to hear newbies making an impression.

Billy, pick televised one and we'll do proper few pints....

Thats a deal mate.

fredlufc74
09-08-2017, 08:45 PM
Might have a few goals from the midfield this season. Some good link up play. Alioski and Saiz really impressed me with the way they play.

ozleeds
09-08-2017, 08:46 PM
Finally a team worth getting up for early mornings to watch. Man United lad looked very comfortable and don't think our back line is going to be so bad after all.
Ok, one question if anyone knows?
Here in oz last season i was able to watch championship games via bein sports. I know sky has the rights in the uk but now it seems bein isn't telecasting the championship. Anyone know if they lost the rights or soimething like that.

WTF11
09-08-2017, 08:59 PM
Finally a team worth getting up for early mornings to watch. Man United lad looked very comfortable and don't think our back line is going to be so bad after all.
Here in oz last season i was able to watch championship games via bein sports. I know sky has the rights in the uk but now it seems bein isn't telecasting the championship. Anyone know if they lost the rights or soimething like that.

Not sure if it's the same thing Oz, but the link didn't work here in UK either, I got a message saying Sky (our broadband provider) are under instruction by court order to block the link to prevent copyright infringement.

norfolk white
09-08-2017, 09:07 PM
Those three lads up front alioski, saiz and ekuban looked frightening tonight, fast, pacey, skillfull and full of goals.....wonderful,

Billyni
09-08-2017, 09:20 PM
Who to leave out for the next game?? Proper selection problems now.

fredlufc74
09-08-2017, 09:21 PM
Who to leave out for the next game?? Proper selection problems now.

Sacko????

pete1967b
09-08-2017, 09:42 PM
Was at us v Oxford Siaz came on round about last 20mins , His first touch i thought wow then every touch and pass and so on apart from one he was awesome and oozed class,This lad is good better than hernandez probably just lacks fitness game time ect.

t_bird7982
09-08-2017, 09:55 PM

We haven't had football on our Sky network here for yonks. I stream most of our games online (no idea the actual source of the games though) including this morning's game against Port Vale - quality this morning was 9/10 so no complaints from me :D

Rev72
09-08-2017, 10:48 PM
Great stuff!

MOT ALAW B)

CLIVETHELEEDSFAN
09-08-2017, 11:00 PM
Professional performance and result to go with it!

SouthgateWhite
09-08-2017, 11:15 PM
Saiz getting all the plaudits as to be expected, but personally thought that Shaunessy had a good game (even an assist for second goal I think from his clearance) and Bridcutt did well when he came on too.

ozleeds
09-08-2017, 11:18 PM
Not sure if it's the same thing Oz, but the link didn't work here in UK either, I got a message saying Sky (our broadband provider) are under instruction by court order to block the link to prevent copyright infringement.

Weird they must have lost the rights? Last year sky which owns our foxtel basically the same thing lost the rights to the premier league but was able to watch us on bein sports australia.