PDA

View Full Version : Financial Fair Play

toptoon
09-08-2017, 09:22 AM
Can someone explain to me how FFP works?

You look at the numbers going around this window and almost forget that FFP exists. I know that TV money has a big part to play but the sums involved are tbh, unethical for the world we live in today. (Neymar coughing up 200 million without blinking an eye springs to mind).

Southerntoon75
09-08-2017, 09:34 AM
Can someone explain to me how FFP works?

You look at the numbers going around this window and almost forget that FFP exists. I know that TV money has a big part to play but the sums involved are tbh, unethical for the world we live in today. (Neymar coughing up 200 million without blinking an eye springs to mind).

I think that the figure doesn't just relate to one seasons FPP but is spread over the length of the contract so Neymars transfer is split over 5 years FPP so £39.6 million per year

Jammy89
09-08-2017, 09:39 AM
Is FFP even a valid thing anymore?

The richest/biggest clubs just seem to ignore it, so those in the FFP area ignore them.

Only seems to be used heavily on clubs that can't fight back as easily because of either money or popularity.

ex_pat_magpie
09-08-2017, 11:15 AM
The financial fair play rules only appear to the clubs who can't afford to break the rules.

Those clubs who have boundless wealth can afford to break the rules knowing they will either get away with it or get around the rules by devious methods.

The original intention of the rules was to attempt to make it a level playing field for the less wealthy clubs but like tax evasion and tax avoidance in the outside world those who can afford the cleverest accountants and legal advice will get wealthier by getting around the rules.

HughieG
09-08-2017, 11:16 AM
Is FFP even a valid thing anymore?

The richest/biggest clubs just seem to ignore it, so those in the FFP area ignore them.

Only seems to be used heavily on clubs that can't fight back as easily because of either money or popularity.

This. When PSG can buy Neymar for a disgusting amount of money, I don't really care if something called Financial Fair Play exists 'cause it doesn't work in real life anyhow.

ghostrider
09-08-2017, 04:19 PM
This. When PSG can buy Neymar for a disgusting amount of money, I don't really care if something called Financial Fair Play exists 'cause it doesn't work in real life anyhow.

Basically spot on.

Andy1981_2
10-08-2017, 09:09 AM
The financial fair play rules only appear to the clubs who can't afford to break the rules.

Those clubs who have boundless wealth can afford to break the rules knowing they will either get away with it or get around the rules by devious methods.

The original intention of the rules was to attempt to make it a level playing field for the less wealthy clubs but like tax evasion and tax avoidance in the outside world those who can afford the cleverest accountants and legal advice will get wealthier by getting around the rules.

It doesn't even apply to clubs like QPR - who broke the rules, but got promoted so were beyond the jurisdiction of the league. When they got relegated again, there was no punishment as far as I remember.