PDA

View Full Version : Durnan up front

LSArab
09-08-2017, 08:58 PM
NOT a good idea

Credit to Ray we have good attacking players now.

We can get it down pass, play balls through etc.

Ok we are potentially still lacking a big target man but durnan up front is not the answer. He is a great centre half, good at set pieces but NOT a striker

It kills our momentum when we put him up and reduce ourselves to long balls.

The teams that score late like fergies Man Utd do so by passing and breaking teams down time and again not lumping big balls up

shedka
09-08-2017, 09:36 PM
Still, we do lack a presence up front just now and he done well last season on occasion when sent up

One of the differences tonight was the fun had haber who is much better than the moosa tit they love, he gave them a different dimension and caused problems first half especially

Oh and still having to pay Toshney cost is the second goal as he "defended" Allan out wide the same way he did the first game with both resulting in a goal

We still have a lot more growing and improving to do than them, much more players not yet upto speed and this second game came too early for us really

Need to knuckle down and try and get the 3 pts Saturday, much more important game for us, especially with Brechin at home to follow the well after

borderarab
09-08-2017, 09:44 PM
Brechin at home, should ray park the hedge ?

LSArab
10-08-2017, 07:37 AM
Rip up the hedgies

I'm not knocking durnan - he's been great centre half for us- but I don't agree this tactic worked last season.

Number of times it was used and most of the time it totally failed

Last season we were best when we passed the ball not hoofing it up

RAM1971
10-08-2017, 07:46 AM
Rip up the hedgies

I'm not knocking durnan - he's been great centre half for us- but I don't agree this tactic worked last season.

Number of times it was used and most of the time it totally failed

Last season we were best when we passed the ball not hoofing it up

What other height option do we have up front??

TerryTheTerror
10-08-2017, 08:14 AM
It's a very common tactic that's been used for years, putting a centre half up for the remaining minutes of a cup tie when you are a goal behind. Don't see the problem to be honest.

Otm_Shank
10-08-2017, 09:22 AM
Used to love it when Lee Wilkie strolled up front

Arabs4ever
10-08-2017, 10:25 AM
What last night reminded me of when Dundee scored their second goal was the second leg v Hamilton. We offered nothing right after the goal and it didn't surprise me one bit that as the time passed away we were clueless. What does Ray say to them just before the start of the game and at the end of half-time? We are quite happy to see how it pans out, we don't take the momentum and we are honking. Trying to walk the ball into the net, ffs.

Otm_Shank
10-08-2017, 01:17 PM
What last night reminded me of when Dundee scored their second goal was the second leg v Hamilton. We offered nothing right after the goal and it didn't surprise me one bit that as the time passed away we were clueless. What does Ray say to them just before the start of the game and at the end of half-time? We are quite happy to see how it pans out, we don't take the momentum and we are honking. Trying to walk the ball into the net, ffs.

Can't have it both ways, the fact we were at least trying to walking into the net shows we were pushing for the goal and not just happy for pens. We just missed that killer final ball, we played some nice buildup play but couldn't finish it. For me it wasn't through lack of effort, just didn't click

LSArab
10-08-2017, 06:36 PM
Overall I'm not so worried about last night. The forward players could rip smaller teams apart.

We need a big striker but I think Ray is on to that. Hopefully the money is available and not being spent on the ST prosecution fund

tHeArAb
10-08-2017, 06:46 PM
What other height option do we have up front??

N'Koyi is 6ft and was on the bench.

LSArab
10-08-2017, 07:03 PM
Is that what he is intended for - a target man?

From what I've seen thought he was a bit speedy but don't know how well he holds it up.

If he is decent thought he'd be better striking option than MD

RAM1971
10-08-2017, 07:08 PM
N'Koyi is 6ft and was on the bench.

He doesn't look 6' to me but I'll take your word for it.

shedboy71
10-08-2017, 07:18 PM
he is 6ft bang on - to me thats not a target man but its a foot and a half taller than the rest of the team

tHeArAb
10-08-2017, 07:24 PM
Surely a guy thats 6ft and a striker is a better option than a guy thats 6ft 1 and a centre half?

shedboy71
10-08-2017, 08:30 PM
Surely a guy thats 6ft and a striker is a better option than a guy thats 6ft 1 and a centre half?

there is an inch in it! :)

Chick A Saw
10-08-2017, 08:37 PM
Not yet convinced that N'koyi is the answer in our case. But he has yet to play for long enough in a competitive game.

RAM1971
10-08-2017, 08:48 PM

My dear Garden Implement Storage Receptacle Junior Male Three Score Ten and One, an inch is no use. There has to be 12 of them if they are to be a 'foot'baller!

shedboy71
10-08-2017, 08:55 PM
My dear Garden Implement Storage Receptacle Junior Male Three Score Ten and One, an inch is no use. There has to be 12 of them if they are to be a 'foot'baller!

you sound like my moaning pussed wife XD

tHeArAb
10-08-2017, 08:55 PM

One's a striker, one's a defender was more the point.

shedboy71
10-08-2017, 08:57 PM
Not yet convinced that N'koyi is the answer in our case. But he has yet to play for long enough in a competitive game.

If Haber could batter people like that every game thats something we could have done with. But he cant and probably wont do that again this season. Its a tough one - i would be happy with duncan ferguson or the log tbf

shedboy71
10-08-2017, 08:59 PM
One's a striker, one's a defender was more the point.

ken p!sh banter from me - but thats as good as my p!sh banter gets. Agree on your point and i hope that you can see i am giving you an inch here

stokearab
11-08-2017, 07:51 PM

Playing Durnan up front chasing a result is a sign of a manager who's run out of ideas of how to win a game in the normal way.

Would love to see N'Koyi given his chance in a front 2 but I suspect when his chance comes it will be as lone striker and everyone will say he's pish after failing to score when chasing high punts up to him all afternoon.

tHeArAb
11-08-2017, 07:57 PM
ken p!sh banter from me - but thats as good as my p!sh banter gets. Agree on your point and i hope that you can see i am giving you an inch here

Ffs. XD XD XD

Arabdownsouth
11-08-2017, 07:58 PM
A lots been said about the managers failings, but to be honest if a couple of things had gone our way the other night we would all be patting him on the back. If mcdonald gets a toe on that cross he scores, and if king makes the right choice with the open goal then we may well have won a game we deserved to lose. I think they might be the fine margins he was talking about. I have faith that this squad will be good enough personally, although desperately short at the back just now.

stokearab
11-08-2017, 08:04 PM
A lots been said about the managers failings, but to be honest if a couple of things had gone our way the other night we would all be patting him on the back. If mcdonald gets a toe on that cross he scores, and if king makes the right choice with the open goal then we may well have won a game we deserved to lose. I think they might be the fine margins he was talking about. I have faith that this squad will be good enough personally, although desperately short at the back just now.

Good post. Hopefully our defensive weaknesses will be ok if we carry enough firepower up front, and in the Championship level I think we might.