PDA

View Full Version : Line Up 10 years ago

WBA123
10-08-2017, 12:05 PM
Read on the E&S website someone who posted the team from our 2007/08 opener away to Burnley which we lost 2-1....

Its amazing how far we've come. How many of these would get into our current team? Not many IMO...

Maybe Clement when he was at his peak. Gera too. I really liked Teixeira but he didn't cut it in the prem. Phillips possibly, although he was getting on a bit at this stage. I can't even remember Tininho...

Jonathan Greening
Craig Beattie
Richard Chaplow
Neil Clement
Kevin Phillips
Dean Kiely
Leon Barnett
Carl Hoefkens
Filipe Teixeira
Zoltan Gera
Miguel Tininho

Subs

Nathan Ellington
Martin Albrechtsen
Luke Steele
James Morrison
Pedro Pele

Point is, we've come a long way in 10 years. We've spent 8 of those years in the Prem. Its the eve on the season and we've been going down everyone of those 8 seasons if you listen to some, lets be optimistic!

There are three worse teams than us this year, I'm certain of it. So lets enjoy the ride and be grateful for what we have. We finished 10th last season and we're about to break our transfer record if you believe the press, with more players set to come in. There are some clubs, not too far away from us, who are looking on enviably.

Yarmbaggie
10-08-2017, 12:28 PM
I have to say that I had forgotten Tininho as well. Had to have a look on Wiki.

Made his debut that day and never played again. We gave him a 2 year contract when he signed but we loaned him to Barnsley 6 months later and he only played 3 times for them!

I take it all back (only joking) our recruitment team are so much better than 10 years ago. I must stop moaning about their inability to sign anyone ever again.

Joking apart we have come a hell of a long way in 10 years.

P.S. forgot to add hewas a left back! Ironic isn't it maybe we should get him back even though he has retired.

mickd1961
10-08-2017, 12:56 PM
He came from Portugal with Texeira and represented the same sort of cheap option we still try even these days.

Ten years ago has no real meaning,it's the "here and now" that counts and at present we have a squad that's thinner than a prostitutes smile!

goodlordmurphy
10-08-2017, 01:19 PM
He came from Portugal with Texeira and represented the same sort of cheap option we still try even these days.

Ten years ago has no real meaning,it's the "here and now" that counts and at present we have a squad that's thinner than a prostitutes smile!

What a phrase that is....lol...:)

WBA1955
10-08-2017, 02:52 PM
Go'back,'just'over'10'years'earlier'and'we'had'no' training'ground,no'Academy'had'a'40'year'old'coach 'in'the'starting'11.We'didn't'have'two'pennies'to' rub'together.
Every'season'was'a'fight'to'stay'in'the'2nd'tier.
We'were'the'butt'of'comedians'jokes'and'The'Wolf'p layed'songs'about'us.
Then'Uri'Geller'appeared'on'Frank'Skinner'show,and 'said'he'could'do'anything'by'state'of'mind
Frank'gave'him'a'Baggies'top'and'said,see'what'you 'can'do'with'that.
Bloody'impressive'eh';D