PDA

View Full Version : The Gray elephant in the room

blueheeler1
11-08-2017, 01:19 AM
The real issue for me is--why did we want to keep Gray into the new season?

It's clear he wasn't a favorite son with the Fans and his goal scoring record was less than ideal so why were we persisting with him?

Was it to showcase him to prospective clubs and announce that he was part of our ongoing plans to get the transfer price up?

Were there some amazing changes during the off season that would have turned him into a decent scorer?

He and his girlfriend weren't happy with his wages and he wanted to go a fair while ago so what was the logic behind wanting him go another season as one of our main strikers?

We needed fire power last year and just about got away with what we had but strengthening that position was surely a must?

Yes we got sidetracked with Keane and others leaving but blind Freddy saw that coming.

I just think is amazing no-one has come for Mee.

You have to think that we were on high alert for a striker--it had to be paramount to the cause.

But SD seemed shocked that Gray left a few days before the season.

FFS.

We cause our own problems.

The Bedlington Terrier
11-08-2017, 06:02 AM
SD plays the game perfectly well IMHO.

Dyche is brilliant at being "Poker faced", makes the odd joke about his girlfriend, turned down bids starting at £8 million from three clubs and eventually swelled the coffers by almost £20 million.

The writing was on the wall when Walters came, we obviously have Barnes, Vokes and young Danny, plus I mentioned on here three weeks ago that Long was on the radar.

Gray and his newly acquired lifestyle are not a fit for an elite EPL outfit with a hard as nails uncompromising manager like SD.

All's well that ends well, I think we are better off without him but I will always fondly Gray's contribution and performances in his Championship winning season with us.

blueheeler1
11-08-2017, 09:11 AM
SD plays the game perfectly well IMHO.

Dyche is brilliant at being "Poker faced", makes the odd joke about his girlfriend, turned down bids starting at £8 million from three clubs and eventually swelled the coffers by almost £20 million.

The writing was on the wall when Walters came, we obviously have Barnes, Vokes and young Danny, plus I mentioned on here three weeks ago that Long was on the radar.

Gray and his newly acquired lifestyle are not a fit for an elite EPL outfit with a hard as nails uncompromising manager like SD.

All's well that ends well, I think we are better off without him but I will always fondly Gray's contribution and performances in his Championship winning season with us.

Poker playing is exactly what we are doing this year.

Hope we get a good hand along the way

sinkov
11-08-2017, 09:34 AM
I haven't read what Dyche has said so I can't comment on that. I'd be surprised if he actually was shocked, everything that's happened with Gray over the last few months has indicated to me that he was finished at Burnley and Dyche couldn't wait to move him on. It was only a matter of waiting for the right offer.

Supersub6
11-08-2017, 09:49 AM
I haven't read what Dyche has said so I can't comment on that. I'd be surprised if he actually was shocked, everything that's happened with Gray over the last few months has indicated to me that he was finished at Burnley and Dyche couldn't wait to move him on. It was only a matter of waiting for the right offer.

Totally agree. It was no secret that Gray had not signed a new contract and, even with the inflated wage mentioned, which Gray seemed to think had been manufactured by the media, it was clear that he was going to move on.
The right offer has come along and we have offloaded a player who just did not wish to be at Burnley any longer. We just move on.

My own thoughts on all the transfer windows is that it is another thing which is manipulated by the media to build up to a so-called 'climax' in order that Sky can have all the stupid hullabaloo which occurs on the final day.
This weekend we are looking at several clubs who will not be fielding players because they are wanted by other clubs, players putting in transfer requests to try to force a move etc.etc.
Yes, the season starts tonight, however, the window is open for another 20 days.
If they wish to have a window it should close before a ball is kicked in any league match. Shut the season down for two weeks over Christmas and have a two week window during that period if they wish.

I would rather they just go back to how things used to be, however, there is more chance of Donald Trump pushing the button than that happening!