PDA

View Full Version : MATCH DAY POST: Middlesbrough v The Mighty Blades

Not_A_Cheat
12-08-2017, 06:22 AM
So after the completely different starting 11 employed in the midweek cup win against Walsall it would seem we are more than likely to return to the opening day 11 IMO. Arguably one of the toughest away league games we'll face this season, the trip to Middlesborough will be a good gauge of what and if we lack in certain areas. Having said that, it is nice to get this one out of the way early on, while they might still be suffering a relegation hangover and still may have not yet gelled as a team. Well we can hope so at least.....

Anyway....

Any team news? :)

Ched presumably making the bench?

Otherwise unchanged from last Saturday?

Sky Sports are televising the match of course, which puts added pressure on the home side. Couple that with their defeat last week and unless they get an early goal the home support could start to become their own worst enemy. What we know from our side is that they will be 100% committed and are unlikely to roll over for any opponent. That said, really really tough game and though I'd like to be extra optimistic, a draw would be a great result. I'll go for 1-1 more in hope than expectation though....

Safe journey folks.

UTCB

FatherKnowsBest
12-08-2017, 06:24 AM
So after the completely different starting 11 employed in the midweek cup win against Walsall it would seem we are more than likely to return to the opening day 11 IMO. Arguably one of the toughest away league games we'll face this season, the trip to Middlesborough will be a good gauge of what and if we lack in certain areas. Having said that, it is nice to get this one out of the way early on, while they might still be suffering a relegation hangover and still may have not yet gelled as a team. Well we can hope so at least.....

Anyway....

Any team news? :)

Ched presumably making the bench?

Otherwise unchanged from last Saturday?

Sky Sports are televising the match of course, which puts added pressure on the home side. Couple that with their defeat last week and unless they get an early goal the home support could start to become their own worst enemy. What we know from our side is that they will be 100% committed and are unlikely to roll over for any opponent. That said, really really tough game and though I'd like to be extra optimistic, a draw would be a great result. I'll go for 1-1 more in hope than expectation though....

Safe journey folks.

UTCB

Before we discuss the game...wheres your tattooed arrse avatar???

Proper tough game. A point would be a hell of a result.

CHIPBUTTYBLADE
12-08-2017, 08:38 AM
Was the last televised game up there a 0-0,think we had a new goalkeeper called Bunn between the sticks :?

Happy with the same result.

CHIPBUTTYBLADE
12-08-2017, 08:46 AM
Found it,first game of the 2009 season,its like dejavu seen who was on the bench.:O

(G) M Bunn
(D) K Walker
(D) C Morgan
(D) A Taylor
(D) M Kilgallon
(M) S Quinn
(M) N Montgomery
(M) B Howard
(M) R France
(M) K Treacy
(F) D Henderson

(G) I Bennett
(D) L Bromby
(M) D Cotterill
(M) K Reid
(M) G Little
(F) B Sharp
(F) C Evans

wavy_blade
12-08-2017, 09:50 AM
Anything is possible with this Wilder in charge , the fact we haven't lost since January is outstanding but we have got to lose sometime , but I am going for a win ( that's foooked it ) !

shorehamoldboy
12-08-2017, 10:28 AM
make no mistake a draw would be a fantastic result tonight

GrayBlade
12-08-2017, 11:18 AM
Found it,first game of the 2009 season,its like dejavu seen who was on the bench.:O

(G) M Bunn
(D) K Walker
(D) C Morgan
(D) A Taylor
(D) M Kilgallon
(M) S Quinn
(M) N Montgomery
(M) B Howard
(M) R France
(M) K Treacy
(F) D Henderson

(G) I Bennett
(D) L Bromby
(M) D Cotterill
(M) K Reid
(M) G Little
(F) B Sharp
(F) C Evans

Unfortunately we also played them at the beginning of the 10/11 season Chippy and lost 1-0. A game described by Gary Birtles as the worst he'd ever commented on and he said our players didn't try an inch. How prophetic those words were.

So the last three seasons we've been in the same division as Boro we've played them away in the first couple of games. It makes you wonder just how random these fixture lists are.

rodcurrie
12-08-2017, 11:21 AM
Unfortunately we also played them at the beginning of the 10/11 season Chippy and lost 1-0. A game described by Gary Birtles as the worst he'd ever commented on and he said our players didn't try an inch. How prophetic those words were.

So the last three seasons we've been in the same division as Boro we've played them away in the first couple of games. It makes you wonder just how random these fixture lists are.Speedo(RIP) in charge of us and Gordon Strachan was Boro boss if memory serves me correctly Gray. UTCB

CHIPBUTTYBLADE
12-08-2017, 01:03 PM
Speedo(RIP) in charge of us and Gordon Strachan was Boro boss if memory serves me correctly Gray. UTCB
Aye thats reyt remember that game now.

CHIPBUTTYBLADE
12-08-2017, 01:07 PM

So the last three seasons we've been in the same division as Boro we've played them away in the first couple of games. It makes you wonder just how random these fixture lists are.

So we have had a 0-0 and 0-1 in those two TV games,i'm happy to predict a 1-0 to us to even things up.Gone for that score on S2 prediction thread.

boltonblade
12-08-2017, 05:07 PM
We can't string passes together. Don't want to jump the gun but we are playing a top side today and players are getting caught out. Basham is having a mare after last week. We are desperate for a top top striker and centre back. Desperate for added quality if we are to compete.

CHIPBUTTYBLADE
12-08-2017, 05:22 PM
Im sure i heard bad luck ****er Jonathan say,is Gestede on the pitch he has not touched the ball yet,wispered to myself,first touch he has he will bag a goal,and low and behold,Basham does an Alcock and Gestede has an easy header.:mad:

boltonblade
12-08-2017, 05:30 PM
Im sure i heard bad luck ****er Jonathan say,is Gestede on the pitch he has not touched the ball yet,wispered to myself,first touch he has he will bag a goal,and low and behold,Basham does an Alcock and Gestede has an easy header.:mad:
Would rather have Alcock than bash tonight 🙈

bulmer1889
12-08-2017, 05:31 PM
Only an easy header cos keepers in no mans land no chance of getting it should have stayed put but he's only young so will make mistakes,today costing us so far,we're not out of this yet goal gave them confidence but tufty can turn us round,I'm not writing us off just yet

GrayBlade
12-08-2017, 05:40 PM
Agreed Bully. He should have stayed back and covered his angles. For the record I think Bash has done ok, just a few dodgy passes.

boltonblade
12-08-2017, 06:04 PM
Agreed Bully. He should have stayed back and covered his angles. For the record I think Bash has done ok, just a few dodgy passes.
Disagree but that's what life is all about. Opinions. Difference in class is showing tonight massively.

RonnieWaldock
12-08-2017, 06:24 PM
Robbed (twice) by a bent linesman!

Ayamonteblade
12-08-2017, 06:26 PM
Robbed (twice) by a bent linesman!

what a pillock........robbed of a point by him - not happy

Blade for Life
12-08-2017, 06:27 PM
Second best today but should be 1-1 what a terrible decision. Linesman bottled it.

bulmer1889
12-08-2017, 06:28 PM
Well proper robbed there it's like bein in the prem again no one was offside and they scored the phooka anyway I'm absolutely livid I hope that Lino gets banned for life

GrayBlade
12-08-2017, 06:28 PM
Disagree but that's what life is all about. Opinions. Difference in class is showing tonight massively.

So much class that they didn't have a serious shot on goal all game.

tomytony
12-08-2017, 06:29 PM
Bad header, bad keeping, bad linesman- the game in a nutshell

RonnieWaldock
12-08-2017, 06:29 PM
Not too bad - if Bash hadn't made two errors, one after the other, we would have got a draw - against an expensive and clearly better individual team. Then, if the completely incompetent linesman on the far side had done his job - we could even have got a win!

Having said all that - the better team won - and I can now take off my "lucky" underpants!

bulmer1889
12-08-2017, 06:31 PM

They were better but it doesn't disguise the fact keeper was at fault for the goal or the fact we should have got a point but for a Lino that can't do his job. We'll do ok in this div if officials do their job correctly

CHIPBUTTYBLADE
Robbed by an official.

tomytony
Not too bad - if Bash hadn't made two errors, one after the other, we would have got a draw - against an expensive and clearly better individual team. Then, if the completely incompetent linesman on the far side had done his job - we could even have got a win!

Having said all that - the better team won - and I can now take off my "lucky" underpants!

They certainly ran out....................of luck Ronnie.

Work to be done, thought they were sharper and we have to learn, quickly, that we will not have as much time on the ball as last year.

bulmer1889
12-08-2017, 06:32 PM

Do you need the chisel Ron ?

GrayBlade
12-08-2017, 06:35 PM
Second best today but should be 1-1 what a terrible decision. Linesman bottled it.
I really thought we were the best team in the second half. . I could have played in goal.

tomytony
12-08-2017, 06:38 PM
I really thought we were the best team in the second half. . I could have played in goal.

But would you have come and cleared the lot out or stayed on your line GB?

CHIPBUTTYBLADE
12-08-2017, 06:42 PM

I did,after the formation was changed,and Samir Billy Freeman went off.

Boro's wingbacks were far superior to ours,Friend and Christie so much pace and power.

Ayamonteblade
12-08-2017, 06:45 PM
I did,after the formation was changed,and Samir Billy Freeman went off.

Boro's wingbacks were far superior to ours,Friend and Christie so much pace and power.

Samir can't get away with performances like that and keep his place in the team - he has to offer more and keep hold of the ball. Duffy looked better when he came on.

Still can't work out what the goal was wiped out for............agree that we finished the game strongly and were the better team at the end. Boro ok - solid - nothing special or exciting IMHO. We need to take a step up. Some players got found out today and need to raise their game............interested to see if any further purchases are made now.

RonnieWaldock
12-08-2017, 06:46 PM
They were better but it doesn't disguise the fact keeper was at fault for the goal or the fact we should have got a point but for a Lino that can't do his job. We'll do ok in this div if officials do their job correctly

Don't agree Bully. Bash played their two forwards onside, when he could easily have played them off, then compounded that with a bad header. One of those things, but definitely down to Bash IMO.

And what about that linesman giving Freeman offside when he was clearly about 5 yards on! He obviously doesn't like us.

Hard to believe, I know, that someone out there doesn't like us - but he obviously didn't.

tomytony
12-08-2017, 06:49 PM
Sky showing 2 views with a full picture showing the the full width & O'Connell offside BEFORE the ball is kicked but moves back into line AS the ball is kicked as the moving picture shows.

2nd picture is a static one taken in line with the incident showing him stood offside and saying that proves it was a correct decision.

Well, no it doesn't , it only proves he was stood offside BEFORE the ball was back in play

RonnieWaldock
12-08-2017, 06:50 PM
Do you need the chisel Ron ?

No thanks B. Just managed it with my gardener's bolt cutters and chainsaw.
After 200 hundred days - it's a wonderful, liberated feeling!

Ayamonteblade
12-08-2017, 06:51 PM

XD

Ayamonteblade
12-08-2017, 06:52 PM
Sky showing 2 views with a full picture showing the the full width & O'Connell offside BEFORE the ball is kicked but moves back into line AS the ball is kicked as the moving picture shows.

2nd picture is a static one taken in line with the incident showing him stood offside and saying that proves it was a correct decision.

Well, no it doesn't , it only proves he was stood offside BEFORE the ball was back in play

Oh god - can't they just admit it was a bad decision............cos it was.

GrayBlade
12-08-2017, 06:57 PM
But would you have come and cleared the lot out or stayed on your line GB?
I'd have stayed on my line TT...and still miss it.

tomytony
12-08-2017, 06:57 PM
Oh god - can't they just admit it was a bad decision............cos it was.

They were saying that the static pic was taken as the ball was kicked.

If you watch the video clip it clearly shows he moved back onside so the static pic is , to say the least, misleading, or, to tell the truth, wrong as it mustt be taken BEFORE the ball was kicked.

Hopefully it doesn't turn out as bad as Rob Styles' decision last time we were promoted :(

tomytony
12-08-2017, 06:59 PM
I'd have stayed on my line TT...and still miss it.

No way, easy catch for a competent keeper. :)

GrayBlade
12-08-2017, 07:01 PM
I bet Mrs Waldock has them in the bin already Ronnie, triple wrapped and has put a nice new pair of red Marks and Spencer's finest waiting on the airer.

GrayBlade
12-08-2017, 07:02 PM
No way, easy catch for a competent keeper. :)
What about an incontinent keeper?

tomytony
12-08-2017, 07:10 PM
What about an incontinent keeper?

Full circle to Simmo then. :)

I honestly think an average Sunday keeper would have coped with a gentle , 2 yards off centre, looping header from 8 or so yards.

All about the decision, get that right and the execution is simple.

bulmer1889
12-08-2017, 07:11 PM
Let's get a grip lads and ladettes they are favourites to go up I've backed em to win the league,yes they were better but not by much and we should have had a point,plenty to be upbeat about all we need is competent officials

Big ask I know

rodcurrie
12-08-2017, 07:15 PM
I thought it was a poor match,we were easily second best in't first half,Assombolonga worried our back 3,we were gettin caught in posession in midfield.The goal was a very poor one to concede,both Bash and the keeper were to blame in my view,Bash for the poor header,Blackman for his poor positionin.I thought Samir's touch was way off,Billy had 7 touches in't first half for goodness sake.The equaliser shudda stood in my opinion,but the undefeated run is over and we move on to Wales and Colin on Tuesday.UTCB

tomytony
12-08-2017, 07:19 PM
I thought it was a poor match,we were easily second best in't first half,Assombolonga worried our back 3,we were gettin caught in posession in midfield.The goal was a very poor one to concede,both Bash and the keeper were to blame in my view,Bash for the poor header,Blackman for his poor positionin.I thought Samir's touch was way off,Billy had 7 touches in't first half for goodness sake.The equaliser shudda stood in my opinion,but the undeafted run is over and we move on to Wales and Colin on Tuesday.UTCB

Thought they were either off the pace or expecting a bit too much time on the ball Rod, not sure which. Boro seemed to get every second ball and, maybe, the step up will be better understood after today and actions taken to sort it out.

A learning curve for all that might be just a bit steeper than everyone anticipated?

Ayamonteblade
12-08-2017, 07:22 PM
also thought the pitch wasn't great today - grass was too long so passing was slow? or am I clutching at straws :o

bulmer1889
12-08-2017, 07:22 PM
The officials will have a real dilemma on tues whether to go against Colin or us heads or tails who they despise more

Just one last thought on the offside half a dozen times or more the Lino last week against Brentford waited for the player to touch the ball before flagging offside. None of our players touched the free kick it was an og !

bulmer1889
12-08-2017, 07:25 PM
Thought they were either off the pace or expecting a bit too much time on the ball Rod, not sure which. Boro seemed to get every second ball and, maybe, the step up will be better understood after today and actions taken to sort it out.

A learning curve for all that might be just a bit steeper than everyone anticipated?
Don't think so TT they are widely regarded as the best team in the division they've spent more on one striker than our entire squad is worth let's get some perspective yes they were better but we expected that,end of day we should have shared the spoils

Ayamonteblade
12-08-2017, 07:29 PM
Don't think so TT they are widely regarded as the best team in the division they've spent more on one striker than our entire squad is worth let's get some perspective yes they were better but we expected that,end of day we should have shared the spoils

For the amount of money they have spent, I would be very underwhelmed by that performance if I was a boro supporter. But I suppose it will be enough to get them back to the promised land, where they can struggle again......#whatsthepoint

tomytony
12-08-2017, 07:34 PM
For the amount of money they have spent, I would be very underwhelmed by that performance if I was a boro supporter. But I suppose it will be enough to get them back to the promised land, where they can struggle again......#whatsthepoint

That compounds my point Aya, they were not that good and I thought we were second best most of the game, yet always in it with a chance at 1-0.

The opposite of that is that, if they are an example of the best the league has, then it's not all doom and gloom. Hopefully their performance was as good as it gets in div 2.

GrayBlade
12-08-2017, 07:50 PM
Let's get a grip lads and ladettes they are favourites to go up I've backed em to win the league,yes they were better but not by much and we should have had a point,plenty to be upbeat about all we need is competent officials

Big ask I know

Looks like I'm going to agree with you a bit more this season Bully, spot on mate.

I saw it as we were on the front foot until their soft goal and then they had the better of the rest of the first half without having another shot on target. The second half I thought we grew into it and they were happy to keep it at 1-0, the only shot Blackman had to dave he could have thrown his cap on. We had that decent shot by Coutts without really taking the game to them but came stronger at the end and probably looked the fittest steam if not the classiest.

I think one or two players will need to realise that better players we now face will read the game better as we telegraphed a few and need to be sharper on the ball, (off it I thought we were excellent).

But to be honest, considering we were supposedly facing the cream of the crop who've just spent £40m in the window, if that goal had stood as it should have, it would have been an almost perfect battling away performance IMO. I was proud of the lads whilst acknowledging we still need a bit more pace and power in places, I think we'd have turned over some teams. UTB.

Ayamonteblade
12-08-2017, 07:52 PM
That compounds my point Aya, they were not that good and I thought we were second best most of the game, yet always in it with a chance at 1-0.

The opposite of that is that, if they are an example of the best the league has, then it's not all doom and gloom. Hopefully their performance was as good as it gets in div 2.

The players need to raise their game - be quicker in thought and play - to me the only player that stood out as comfortable was Coutts. However, they are all capable of improving - and at least they now know the benchmark

tomytony
12-08-2017, 08:00 PM
The players need to raise their game - be quicker in thought and play - to me the only player that stood out as comfortable was Coutts. However, they are all capable of improving - and at least they now know the benchmark

True aya. I think GB says what I'm getting at with this quote from his post

"I think one or two players will need to realise that better players we now face will read the game better as we telegraphed a few and need to be sharper on the ball, (off it I thought we were excellent)."

GuancheBlade
12-08-2017, 08:19 PM
Am I the only one who thought we were shocking today?? If Boro had actually got clicking we'd have got mullered.

Zero pace
Over reliance on Coutts who was playing far too deep
Slow to react all over the pitch
Wing backs playing with lead in their boots
No plan
No link up play up front
No protection of the back 3
No leadership on the pitch

Only saving grace was Stearman getting better with every game and Jack's reading of the play. Let's not allow one poor offside decision to mask what are clear deficiencies in the squad. We desperately need pace through the spine. There are several teams who will play far better than Boro did against us and we will be punished.

I don't mean to sound negative, I just don't want us to rest on our laurels for the rest of this transfer window because we should have come away with a 1-1 draw from the title favourites.

GrayBlade
12-08-2017, 09:16 PM
Am I the only one who thought we were shocking today?? If Boro had actually got clicking we'd have got mullered.

Zero pace
Over reliance on Coutts who was playing far too deep
Slow to react all over the pitch
Wing backs playing with lead in their boots
No plan
No link up play up front
No protection of the back 3
No leadership on the pitch

Only saving grace was Stearman getting better with every game and Jack's reading of the play. Let's not allow one poor offside decision to mask what are clear deficiencies in the squad. We desperately need pace through the spine. There are several teams who will play far better than Boro did against us and we will be punished.

I don't mean to sound negative, I just don't want us to rest on our laurels for the rest of this transfer window because we should have come away with a 1-1 draw from the title favourites.

Sorry mate, I couldn't disagree more for the reasons I've already posted and accepting that we do need to strengthen.

I think it's more about some Blades being too used to us mullering teams home and away and forgetting all about grinding out results against better opposition like ALL teams have to. It's so easy to say it's only down to them not clicking but why do you think that is? It's because we battled like **** and in fairness so did they. They ended up playing our game and closing down. We couldn't ask for more and until we get on the same financial level as them we'll not get more

I'll not say we're great but to day that we were shocking is a massive overreaction and WAY over the top.

boltonblade
12-08-2017, 09:43 PM
There's no perspective to talk about tonight. We were robbed of a goal yes. However we are short of quality across the park. I'm sorry but carruthers, Basham, Sharp, Stevens Need to think about their positions in this side and say i need to offer more. Wilder also needs to look at our squad depth and say it's not good enough. We need a pacey striker & CB. Spend the cash wilder. We came up against a weakened boro side who bullied us to every second ball. Players fell short tonight. We can't rely on winning all home games. I want to see better players at this club. End of.

tomytony
12-08-2017, 09:46 PM
"Spend the cash wilder."

Is that the 'significant investment to challenge for the PL' promised on our return to div 2 BB?

boltonblade
12-08-2017, 10:15 PM
"Spend the cash wilder."

Is that the 'significant investment to challenge for the PL' promised on our return to div 2 BB?
No that's the....let's not be too stubborn in our bids and think that we need to drive the hard bargain. We need to buy quality. The market has changed. The game has changed. It's really quite simple. A striker that cost £500k now costs £1.5m. It's the way it works. Let's get amongst it. We will be ok this year I'm sure. Our home form will see to that. That fans will see to that. It'll be a scrap though.

FatherKnowsBest
13-08-2017, 05:28 AM
Well, I guess my take on the game is that they looked a bit better than us in most regards, although we were a bit unlucky in the end, that's football for you. They've spend what, £45m over the summer or something. There wasn't a gulf that we couldn't cross. They just looked a bit better.

I know there is disappointment but we will have to grow into this league. We, (that's team AND management) have to learn how to win games here, but we will learn. Team ethics don't cover for quality and it would be nice to have a little more everywhere, but there is enough there for us to survive comfortably this season. No-one really expected us to be challenging for promotion again, did we?

Twirlo70
13-08-2017, 07:23 AM
Well, I guess my take on the game is that they looked a bit better than us in most regards, although we were a bit unlucky in the end, that's football for you. They've spend what, £45m over the summer or something. There wasn't a gulf that we couldn't cross. They just looked a bit better.

I know there is disappointment but we will have to grow into this league. We, (that's team AND management) have to learn how to win games here, but we will learn. Team ethics don't cover for quality and it would be nice to have a little more everywhere, but there is enough there for us to survive comfortably this season. No-one really expected us to be challenging for promotion again, did we?our keeper didnt have to pull any saves of apart from the goal. he wasnt troubled at all. their forward line compared to ours is way better. sharp will score if chances are created for him. we just couldnt create, if clarke just hit his one chance instead of controlling it in the first half then who knows. we need a rapid strong forward. proper wingers. some players are just not gonna cut the mustard. but the team do give it their all and should be proud of their sens. utb. wilder will suss it.

rodcurrie
13-08-2017, 08:04 AM
"Spend the cash wilder."

Is that the 'significant investment to challenge for the PL' promised on our return to div 2 BB?We lost a match(first since January) i aint gunna start slaggin the club off(or the owners)Let's hope we don't lose to Colin's mob on Tuesday or it'll be fun on here.Just to balance things up a bit,the "Goal" shudda stood but let's be r8 it was never a free kick in't first place, the Magic Hat just threw himself to the floor.Sounds like it kicked off after the disallowed goal,young kids were terrified accordin the News Now pages i've just read,poor show by whoever caused the bother.I'm still confident we'll finish in or around mid table,but hey as some call me,i'm just a clapper,but i prefer the TRUE BLADE tag the club gave me a couple of years ago when i renewed my season ticket.Have a good Sunday BLADES folk.UTCB

blades58
13-08-2017, 08:40 AM
A game of two halves for me where they were all over us for most of the first half without creating many clear cut chances and we were the best side in the second half

Just looked at the match stats and seen that we had most possession and more shots on target. Of course there was the disallowed goal which is infuriating. Even their player thought the goal was good

Sitting back now and analysing everything, I'm as optimistic mow about the season as I was before the game. Yes, there were one or two negatives, but there always are

Away game at the title favs
More possession
More shots on target
Robbed of a point
Boro have spent £43m Blades £2m

If that's the best the division has to offer we'll do ok
We'll sign more players before the window closes
I'm confident the team we'll grow in terms of stature, confidence and performance

tomytony
13-08-2017, 08:53 AM
We lost a match(first since January) i aint gunna start slaggin the club off(or the owners)Let's hope we don't lose to Colin's mob on Tuesday or it'll be fun on here.Just to balance things up a bit,the "Goal" shudda stood but let's be r8 it was never a free kick in't first place, the Magic Hat just threw himself to the floor.Sounds like it kicked off after the disallowed goal,young kids were terrified accordin the News Now pages i've just read,poor show by whoever caused the bother.I'm still confident we'll finish in or around mid table,but hey as some call me,i'm just a clapper,but i prefer the TRUE BLADE tag the club gave me a couple of years ago when i renewed my season ticket.Have a good Sunday BLADES folk.UTCB

WAs there a cermony Rod, a bit like being knighted? Obviously a Sheffield steel BLADE would have been used.

Did the Messiah conduct it , in secret, on the centre circle at midnight surrounded by a posse in long white flowing robes?
(They'd be the Prince's representatives of course).

No ome was 'slaggin the club off'. BB mentioned Wilder splashing the cash. I merely asked which particular stash he was referring to and I see that, above, he answered.

Jumping to conclusions when the merest hint of questioning about any club related issue that you deem to be criticism must be one of the qualities bestowed at said ceremony.

You're fast becoming a caricature of Henry VIII, DEFENDER OF THE FAITH. :)

Ayamonteblade
13-08-2017, 08:57 AM
A game of two halves for me where they were all over us for most of the first half without creating many clear cut chances and we were the best side in the second half

Just looked at the match stats and seen that we had most possession and more shots on target. Of course there was the disallowed goal which is infuriating. Even their player thought the goal was good

Sitting back now and analysing everything, I'm as optimistic mow about the season as I was before the game. Yes, there were one or two negatives, but there always are

Away game at the title favs
More possession
More shots on target
Robbed of a point
Boro have spent £43m Blades £2m

If that's the best the division has to offer we'll do ok
We'll sign more players before the window closes
I'm confident the team we'll grow in terms of stature, confidence and performance

Agreed B58 - in hindsight there are more positives than negatives to take from last night - its just the way you choose to view it. Yes, we do need to spend, but still I would prefer to allow CW time.........we know he is good enough and there is no rush or panic about getting up this season. Let's not buy any not-good-enough hasbeens like our friends did across the way. They might get you up if you can take a penalty, but you'll be coming straight back down again.

Interesting to see how we adapt to our new home over the next few weeks - I'm sure we will.
UTB - Onwards and Upwards

shorehamoldboy
13-08-2017, 10:05 AM
3 more quality signings needed that can come straight in to the team and compete at championship level chris knows this and will address it before the end of august

blades58
13-08-2017, 10:15 AM
3 more quality signings needed that can come straight in to the team and compete at championship level chris knows this and will address it before the end of august

I think we might see a step up this week focus being on getting some targets over the line. It has been dragging on and yesterdays game will highlight CW's requirement

wavy_blade
13-08-2017, 10:19 AM
I cant believe some people are moaning about losing ffs , we have been unbeaten since jan , I was proud of the team and our manager yesterday , the only thing I wish Chris would have done is to bring brooks on 10 minutes earlier as we were losing anyway and we needed someone to create chances . We were going to lose sometime and really if the goal had counted at the end we wouldn't have lost at all !!!

tomytony
13-08-2017, 10:34 AM
I cant believe some people are moaning about losing ffs , we have been unbeaten since jan , I was proud of the team and our manager yesterday , the only thing I wish Chris would have done is to bring brooks on 10 minutes earlier as we were losing anyway and we needed someone to create chances . We were going to lose sometime and really if the goal had counted at the end we wouldn't have lost at all !!!

Don't think there's too much moaning about losing wavy, it was inevitable some day

As we progress through the games more and more exposure to scrutiny becomes available then the more the deficiencies ( or strengths) will be seen and then, again inevitably,the more incessant become the calls for squad strengthening.

The unknown from yesterday is how good Boro are. If that's as good as div 2 offers then we should at least survive.

To be honest i would expect there to be better performances from much better teams than Boro, that's when the problems will occur because, like it or lump it, offside or not, to me, we were slow of thought and seemed to need or expect too much time on the ball.

Wilder will learn. The question is-"will all the squad learn quickly enough to survive/cope even prosper?".

Time will tell but I would expect squad strengthening to be a priority in the next couple of weeks.

We've taken 6 years to get back to an acceptable level. Surely lessons have been learned from top to bottom and we will not repeat the mistakes of the last promotion season.

But, and a BIG but

As we all know to our cost our owner is not well known for learning from experience :)

CHIPBUTTYBLADE
13-08-2017, 10:36 AM
Bad officials today cost us and Wilder and the fans are rightly annoyed.
Dont think anyone has mentioned the second half corner where a Boro player had hold of Leon's shirt and it stretched about 3 feet,the ref directly in line a few yards away,choose not to give a pen,anywhere else on the pitch he would have blown for a foul.

BlockD
13-08-2017, 10:40 AM
Bad officials today cost us and Wilder and the fans are rightly annoyed.
Dont think anyone has mentioned the second half corner where a Boro player had hold of Leon's shirt and it stretched about 3 feet,the ref directly in line a few yards away,choose not to give a pen,anywhere else on the pitch he would have blown for a foul.

We needed our friend in black to be the referee,he would have spotted the blatant shirt pull,Mr Mike Dean

GrayBlade
13-08-2017, 10:41 AM
Just a couple of points after I've slept on it.

Did anybody really expect us to go to teams like Middlesborough and do anything but battle until we're up to speed in this division and have upgraded the squad (which could take a season)? We won't play like we did last season away from home, we'll get points against the top teams by effort and organisation just like teams tried to do to us last season.

After what happened last season and so many people were so quick to write players and manager off in August, don't they think it's a bit daft to repeat it and write players off after just one game away against the favourites that have cost tens of £millions that we should have drawn? Some just love to overreact in my opinion, and even if we do bring in 3 quality players we'll still be mikes behind he likes of Boro overall, that's a fact of life right now, but it doesn't mean we won't stuff them back at the Lane because the team will have adjusted by then even and other players will have come in.

My own view is that we should chill out and wait and see what happens in the rest of the window, and we'll really know where we're at when we play teams like Forest, Ipswich and Barnsley.

BlockD
13-08-2017, 10:46 AM
Just a couple of points after I've slept on it.

Did anybody really expect us to go to teams like Middlesborough and do anything but battle until we're up to speed in this division and have upgraded the squad (which could take a season)? We won't play like we did last season away from home, we'll get points against the top teams by effort and organisation just like teams tried to do to us last season.

After what happened last season and so many people were so quick to write players and manager off in August, don't they think it's a bit daft to repeat it and write players off after just one game away against the favourites that have cost tens of £millions that we should have drawn? Some just love to overreact in my opinion, and even if we do bring in 3 quality players we'll still be mikes behind he likes of Boro overall, that's a fact of life right now, but it doesn't mean we won't stuff them back at the Lane because the team will have adjusted by then even and other players will have come in.

My own view is that we should chill out and wait and see what happens in the rest of the window, and we'll really know where we're at when we play teams like Forest, Ipswich and Barnsley.

Have 10 likes Mr G

shorehamoldboy
13-08-2017, 10:53 AM
spot on gray we couldnt have had 2 tougher opening away games than what weve got and players will come in before the end of august

rodcurrie
13-08-2017, 11:00 AM
WAs there a cermony Rod, a bit like being knighted? Obviously a Sheffield steel BLADE would have been used.

Did the Messiah conduct it , in secret, on the centre circle at midnight surrounded by a posse in long white flowing robes?
(They'd be the Prince's representatives of course).

No ome was 'slaggin the club off'. BB mentioned Wilder splashing the cash. I merely asked which particular stash he was referring to and I see that, above, he answered.

Jumping to conclusions when the merest hint of questioning about any club related issue that you deem to be criticism must be one of the qualities bestowed at said ceremony.

You're fast becoming a caricature of Henry VIII, DEFENDER OF THE FAITH. :)Did the Messiah conduct it? Why would TC conduct it? No Knighthood just our club appreciatin my continued support. Jumpin to conclusions with owt you post TT,i don't think so,as i've said before at least 95% of em are abart King Kev in one way or another,but Hey,each to they're own.Henry had 6 wives dint he? I'm delighted with Our Gertie so no need for anymore.Let's hope we get summat at Cardiff,or it really will be a crisis. UTCB

Ayamonteblade
13-08-2017, 11:06 AM
Have 10 likes Mr G

make that 11

tomytony
13-08-2017, 12:15 PM
Did the Messiah conduct it? Why would TC conduct it? No Knighthood just our club appreciatin my continued support. Jumpin to conclusions with owt you post TT,i don't think so,as i've said before at least 95% of em are abart King Kev in one way or another,but Hey,each to they're own.Henry had 6 wives dint he? I'm delighted with Our Gertie so no need for anymore.Let's hope we get summat at Cardiff,or it really will be a crisis. UTCB

We all know who your real messiah is Rod.

I will admit that most, but not all, of my posts are about the root cause of all our football problems but, let's be realistic here, that root cause is still there like a shroud that covers all, and your long, and obviously deserved and recognised, support of the club does frequently come across as total unswerving all accepting approval of that cause.

You do have me beat there though..................100% of your posts are in total support. :)

GrayBlade
13-08-2017, 02:07 PM
On another note after looking back, I'd forgotten that the same linesman got it totally wrong 15 minutes earlier when he flagged Freeman offside. The **** wants sacking!

RonnieWaldock
13-08-2017, 02:21 PM
On another note after looking back, I'd forgotten that the same linesman got it totally wrong 15 minutes earlier when he flagged Freeman offside. The **** wants sacking!

And that one was not even close! Nor was there any rapid movement to make it a bit more difficult. Complete incompetance or............?

GrayBlade
13-08-2017, 02:35 PM
And that one was not even close! Nor was there any rapid movement to make it a bit more difficult. Complete incompetance or............?
It certainly is Ronnie at that level. On the game overall I thought we created the only clear chances and looking back we did, despite the stats showing they had a few shots. The truth is that our keeper didn't have a real save to make all game.

Decisions like that can completely affect a team's form or season even early in. Some said that the Rob Styles debacle when he gave Liverpool a penalty for intent to foul was early season and wouldn't effect anything, but we'd have stopped up with those points lost and matpy even have been still in the Premiership.

rodcurrie
13-08-2017, 02:35 PM
We all know who your real messiah is Rod.

I will admit that most, but not all, of my posts are about the root cause of all our football problems but, let's be realistic here, that root cause is still there like a shroud that covers all, and your long, and obviously deserved and recognised, support of the club does frequently come across as total unswerving all accepting approval of that cause.

You do have me beat there though..................100% of your posts are in total support. :)TC is my messiah,has been since 1968,and just to prove ya wrong again TT,ya say 100% of my posts are in total support,the last 2 games i've commented on, i've said have been poor games,i have also said King Kev has made poor decisions abart managers,with Robson bein the biggest ballhack dropped, further proof if it's needed that ya only see what ya wanna see,it must be awful to have that much bile inside ya.I support Sheffield United,i do not hate or luv King Kev,I understand ya must be upset that tho, Yorks lost again but hey at least ya aint blamed King Kev for that yet.:) UTCB

tomytony
13-08-2017, 02:37 PM

Give them a black kit and a flag and they believe they are omnipotent Ronnie.

Totally incompetent and determined to prove it :(

But, of course, there is no sanction so he'll keep on doing it because, in his own mind, he can rationalise his own incompetence and the result means nothing to him.

tomytony
13-08-2017, 02:42 PM
TC is my messiah,has been since 1968,and just to prove ya wrong again TT,ya say 100% of my posts are in total support,the last 2 games i've commented on, i've said have been poor games,i have also said King Kev has made poor decisions abart managers,with Robson bein the biggest ballhack dropped, further proof if it's needed that ya only see what ya wanna see,it must be awful to have that much bile inside ya.I support Sheffield United,i do not hate or luv King Kev,I understand ya must be upset that tho, Yorks lost again but hey at least ya aint blamed King Kev for that yet.:) UTCB

100% .............................................guara nteed to get that response again..........and again..................and again.

Not bile Rod, fact.

Stop confusing valid criticism of a man who has a record of not learning from his mistakes by spinning my statement of the facts with your rose tinted specs on.

rodcurrie
13-08-2017, 02:54 PM
100% .............................................guara nteed to get that response again..........and again..................and again.

Not bile Rod, fact.

Stop confusing valid criticism of a man who has a record of not learning from his mistakes by spinning my statement of the facts with your rose tinted specs on.Bile,100% Bile TT,tha must have got a King Kev alarm when someone posts owt abart him on here. The facts are King Kev appointed Tufty,did ya give him credit no,when we were strugglin in't pub league it was all his fault in your Bile filled head,but when we win the league and get a 100 points,nowt to do with him,priceless.:D Same owd same owd TT, the Norris Cole of BLADESmad.:) I'll si thi laters i've a pint or two waitin to be supped.UTCB

tomytony
13-08-2017, 03:14 PM
Bile,100% Bile TT,tha must have got a King Kev alarm when someone posts owt abart him on here. The facts are King Kev appointed Tufty,did ya give him credit no,when we were strugglin in't pub league it was all his fault in your Bile filled head,but when we win the league and get a 100 points,nowt to do with him,priceless.:D Same owd same owd TT, the Norris Cole of BLADESmad.:) I'll si thi laters i've a pint or two waitin to be supped.UTCB

Try and take an objective stance for once and ask yourself this

"why were we 'strugglin in't pub league'"?

BECAUSE of McC's mistakes. He's got 1 in 10 right and you've repeatedly tried to tell us he 'chased' CW to get him yet never answered the question I posed, namely " How did the rest get the job then?"

He was just as involved in all those appointments too but that's too much for you to stomach.

We'll never agree about him Rod but stop trying to tar me with the 'bile' brush.

My analysis stands up to much closer scrutiny than yours.

You know that so you revert to the classic'deflection ' technique- bring in another option, another subject to take away from the truth.

Ferguson did it for years at Manure, Mourinho does it, as you do, repeatedly.

Stick to the facts, face the truth and leave out the poor attempts at trying to make a tangential point to obscure the truth.

CHIPBUTTYBLADE
13-08-2017, 04:30 PM
Has anyone mentioned that linesman and ref were not up to their jobs.

These are the incompetents,mark them down and remember them for next time.

Middlesbrough v Sheffield United

PETER BANKES
Paul Hodskinson and Mark Dwyer
Fourth Official: Jeremy Simpson

U-F-O
14-08-2017, 11:23 AM
Did anyone else find Boro more than a bit of a cynical side? Gestede leding with his elbow everytime he challenged for the ball ? George Friend (oxymoron if there ever was) leaving his foot in on more than one occassion? Anyway, just an observation, its gone now, bring on Cardiff.