PDA

View Full Version : Well Here We Go....

Joy_Division
12-08-2017, 10:08 AM
The start of a new season of weekends either being ruined, or seemingly wonderful, all depending on the Albion result.
At 64 years of age you would think I would have matured by now to just accept whatever happens and get on with life.
But no, it still gets me down or totally elates me this winning or losing. The wife hits me with either thank goodness they have won, all is well in your little world or 'Change your bloody face I aint looking at that all weekend because the Albion have lost. I know its pathetic at my age but I am afraid I can't change. I sometimes wish I could not care less about Albion, but I cannot see it ever getting out of my system. So at 3pm today I will be nervous and feeling slightly sick for the next two hours. Such is my lot in life.:?

mickd1961
12-08-2017, 11:00 AM
I tend to "feel sick" from August until late May until the season ends and I then continue to feel queasy from June onwards as we "monitor" players.

I'm expecting nothing but heartache this season so I hope they can surprise me and finish 17th.

WBA1955
12-08-2017, 11:02 AM
No'other'sport'has'that'effect.Certainly'not'Golf' or'Billy'Hud's

sweeper5
12-08-2017, 11:08 AM
Are, but have you ever played any other sport, 55?

WBA1955
12-08-2017, 11:41 AM
I'mean'as'a'spectator'sport'Sweeper.No'other'spect ators'in'other'sports'want'to'kill'each'other.
When'i'was'at'school,'a'girl'a'bit'older'used'to't ell'her'mom'she'was'staying'behind'to'play'Badmint on,then'she'used'to'drag'me'over'the'
field's.
So'yeah,i'have'always'kept'my'hand'in'at'Badminton ':)

Baggies_Boy_Tony
13-08-2017, 10:55 AM
The start of a new season of weekends either being ruined, or seemingly wonderful, all depending on the Albion result.
At 64 years of age you would think I would have matured by now to just accept whatever happens and get on with life.
But no, it still gets me down or totally elates me this winning or losing. The wife hits me with either thank goodness they have won, all is well in your little world or 'Change your bloody face I aint looking at that all weekend because the Albion have lost. I know its pathetic at my age but I am afraid I can't change. I sometimes wish I could not care less about Albion, but I cannot see it ever getting out of my system. So at 3pm today I will be nervous and feeling slightly sick for the next two hours. Such is my lot in life.:?

Paul, I'm a good few years older than you, I can still remember you as a snotty nosed apprenticeXD, I can assure you it doesn't get any easier, when we win my missus always says "at least that's another weekend without a black eye ;D". Just arrived home after a good weekend, enjoyed the game, a few pints and a good curry with some of my mates in West Brom.

Joy_Division
13-08-2017, 11:00 AM
Hi Tony
I would love to be back at the Mail when all the guys were there, Teddy Ralph, Johnny Mansell etc and be taking the mick out of them with the Vile in the Chumpionship especially yesterday. Working the Argus and screaming 3 down the cream. He he he!. Glad you had a good day yesterday. Matchday is a long day for you with all the travelling involved. Fair play to you.

Baggies_Boy_Tony
13-08-2017, 02:18 PM
Hi Tony
I would love to be back at the Mail when all the guys were there, Teddy Ralph, Johnny Mansell etc and be taking the mick out of them with the Vile in the Chumpionship especially yesterday. Working the Argus and screaming 3 down the cream. He he he!. Glad you had a good day yesterday. Matchday is a long day for you with all the travelling involved. Fair play to you.

Loved my job back then, some people will think I'm mad, but I really did, Sat pm in particular, down The Guns for a few pints at lunchtime, then back for the banter when the score were coming through, few more pints after The Argus then back for The Mercury, how did we ever manage to produce newspapers?

Joy_Division
13-08-2017, 03:37 PM
So many of those lads have passed away, its frightening really. There are about ten of us who still meet once a year for a Xmas drink and each time I go you can guarantee someone will say, Did you hear about so and so dying. I saw Micky Webb the year before last and I honestly did not recognise him until Dave Jones told me who he was. Bit embarrassing as he knew me and I had to blag it until I could ask. You don't imagine yourself looking old but to the others you obviously do.:o

Baggies_Boy_Tony
13-08-2017, 06:15 PM
So many of those lads have passed away, its frightening really. There are about ten of us who still meet once a year for a Xmas drink and each time I go you can guarantee someone will say, Did you hear about so and so dying. I saw Micky Webb the year before last and I honestly did not recognise him until Dave Jones told me who he was. Bit embarrassing as he knew me and I had to blag it until I could ask. You don't imagine yourself looking old but to the others you obviously do.:o

Manny please let me know when and where the next meet is and I'll try and be there, just don't know how long we've got do we?

Joy_Division
14-08-2017, 04:34 PM
I will do. Its always a Thursday for some stupid reason, and its always at the Briar Rose pub in Birmingham city centre. They always leave it till almost the last minute before they send out the date but as soon as I know I will post it on here for you.

Baggies_Boy_Tony
14-08-2017, 09:15 PM
I will do. Its always a Thursday for some stupid reason, and its always at the Briar Rose pub in Birmingham city centre. They always leave it till almost the last minute before they send out the date but as soon as I know I will post it on here for you.

Thanks Manny, where's the Briar Rose? It must be new since I left, I thought I knew most pubs in Brum :?

Albionic68
14-08-2017, 09:32 PM
Bennetts Hill just down from the Wellington.

Baggies_Boy_Tony
15-08-2017, 06:39 AM
Bennetts Hill just down from the Wellington.

Thanks '68, how long's it been open? I left Brum in 2003 :D, where I'd worked since 1958 and hardly been back since, West Brom., YES, Brum NO.

Baggies_Boy_Tony
15-08-2017, 07:30 AM
Morning Manny, listening to the radio yesterday and I heard a track by The Waterboys, if my old memory serves me correct, weren't they one of your favourites back in The Mail days? :?

Joy_Division
15-08-2017, 01:14 PM
Yes mate. Still are actually. Saw them loads of times. You too have a good memory.