PDA

View Full Version : Well done Notts

tarquinbeech
12-08-2017, 04:10 PM
3 points in the bank

Watched half the game (thanks to iFollow...grrr)....first impressions

Collin mixed up his kicks with rolling the ball out to mainly Jones.....he still kicks too many balls directly to the oppo keeper.
Jones, much better game, some great runs down the wing
Jorge, why oh why doesn't he start the match....guy is awesome
Stead, looked knackered....he should have slammed a goal home one-on-one with the keeper....no pace
Shola, some decent knockdowns despite being double-marked by Chessie
Forte looked ok coming on....almost got on the end of a few
Hawk, I like this guy...busy and fast

Chesterfield, nothing really to offer....niggly and nasty at times.

COYP

jackal2
12-08-2017, 05:31 PM
I just commented on another thread that Nolan appears to be looking to get the ball forward very quickly, not long-ball at it's crudest, but certainly based on turning defences and getting the ball into the position of maximum opportunity as soon as possible. In which case, a pacey striker who can take advantage of that ball over the top is even more important. There were several times today when the "right" ball was played but Stead just didn't have enough pace to capitalise. I couldn't help but picture what havoc a Kevin Bartlett would have caused given the same opportunity. I would say it's Stead's place that is under threat, because Ameobi is a better and stronger target man and fits the bill for a direct style of play.

60YearsAPie
12-08-2017, 05:37 PM
I just commented on another thread that Nolan appears to be looking to get the ball forward very quickly, not long-ball at it's crudest, but certainly based on turning defences and getting the ball into the position of maximum opportunity as soon as possible. In which case, a pacey striker who can take advantage of that ball over the top is even more important. There were several times today when the "right" ball was played but Stead just didn't have enough pace to capitalise. I couldn't help but picture what havoc a Kevin Bartlett would have caused given the same opportunity. I would say it's Stead's place that is under threat, because Ameobi is a better and stronger target man and fits the bill for a direct style of play.

Totally agree. If we'd had pace up front I don't think we'd have had to suffer those nervous last 10 minutes or so. For want of a better option I'd still give the Forte/Ameobe combination a go.

Seem to remember that Kevin Bartlett's success rate with one on ones was not too hot.

Freeman25
12-08-2017, 05:45 PM
Nolan actually went mad at Adam Collin after he threw the ball out to Hawkridge in the second half and told him to ignore the crowd moaning at him and stick to what he was supposed to be doing.

jackal2
12-08-2017, 06:11 PM
Nolan actually went mad at Adam Collin after he threw the ball out to Hawkridge in the second half and told him to ignore the crowd moaning at him and stick to what he was supposed to be doing.

Yes, I thought that was the message too. Collin had just bowled the ball out for the first time to a full-back and got a sarcastic cheer from the Kop, but then Nolan whistled him, shook his head angrily and pointed around the ground. The message was definitely "Ignore that lot and do what I've told you!" This manager is not bothered about playing out from the back, that's for sure.

tarquinbeech
12-08-2017, 10:04 PM
Yes, I thought that was the message too. Collin had just bowled the ball out for the first time to a full-back and got a sarcastic cheer from the Kop, but then Nolan whistled him, shook his head angrily and pointed around the ground. The message was definitely "Ignore that lot and do what I've told you!" This manager is not bothered about playing out from the back, that's for sure.

Noticed the same thing here in Mexico, no commentary but we get crowd noise.....there was a huge derisory cheer when he finally bowled the ball out to Jones, after taking an age to decide whether to lump it forward or not....I'm not the only one then that gets irritated with the continual Garry Owens?....I'm not an expert BTW.....but it pisses me off when it's a huge up-n-under

Elite_Pie
12-08-2017, 10:28 PM
Noticed the same thing here in Mexico, no commentary but we get crowd noise.....there was a huge derisory cheer when he finally bowled the ball out to Jones, after taking an age to decide whether to lump it forward or not....I'm not the only one then that gets irritated with the continual Garry Owens?....I'm not an expert BTW.....but it pisses me off when it's a huge up-n-under

I just don't think we have the quality of player to build from the back, we would give away more goals than we would create. I remember under McParland we tried to play a passing style from deep, but it ended up as a string of passes from side to side across the back four followed by a big hoof forward as soon as they were closed down. It requires not only good passing skills from the defenders but also plenty of movement from those in front, and we fall short on both counts. Adam Collin's distribution was ok today.

HAPPYMAGPIEHAPPY
12-08-2017, 10:31 PM
I shouted to both milsom and grant today whilst warming up why they weren't playing, both players gave me a clueless shrug of the shoulders and open hand gesture like they had no answer to it.
I still don't get it either ?

The-Mac pie
12-08-2017, 10:53 PM
I think Nolan is under pressure to play certain players...
Having said that...
A great big 3 points today..
Not pretty.but off the mark..
Thought Yates was strong today.
Great debut.

tarquinbeech
12-08-2017, 11:37 PM
I just don't think we have the quality of player to build from the back, we would give away more goals than we would create. I remember under McParland we tried to play a passing style from deep, but it ended up as a string of passes from side to side across the back four followed by a big hoof forward as soon as they were closed down. It requires not only good passing skills from the defenders but also plenty of movement from those in front, and we fall short on both counts. Adam Collin's distribution was ok today.

I'm not disagreeing with you...if we keep collecting points then sobeit, but it doesn't look good on the tv or to the supporters

queenslandpie
13-08-2017, 02:26 AM
Totally agree. If we'd had pace up front I don't think we'd have had to suffer those nervous last 10 minutes or so. For want of a better option I'd still give the Forte/Ameobe combination a go.

Seem to remember that Kevin Bartlett's success rate with one on ones was not too hot.

His finishing was rubbish but he created panic. That panic won penalties and free kicks and got opposition players ruffled and booked or sent off. He was brilliant. More than just goals.

KeepTheMagpieFlyingH
13-08-2017, 06:49 AM
I just don't think we have the quality of player to build from the back, we would give away more goals than we would create. I remember under McParland we tried to play a passing style from deep, but it ended up as a string of passes from side to side across the back four followed by a big hoof forward as soon as they were closed down. It requires not only good passing skills from the defenders but also plenty of movement from those in front, and we fall short on both counts. Adam Collin's distribution was ok today..

McParland never tried to build from the back..the long ball was always the aim. Hughes and Rodgers meant the oppo sat deep..4-5 passes along the back line to draw the press and try and create space in behind to drop the long ball.

Elite_Pie
13-08-2017, 07:48 AM

McParland never tried to build from the back..the long ball was always the aim. Hughes and Rodgers meant the oppo sat deep..4-5 passes along the back line to draw the press and try and create space in behind to drop the long ball.

I wasn't talking about the few games in the Munto season, I meant McParland's 'style' after he took over from Steve Thompson.

60YearsAPie
13-08-2017, 08:08 AM
His finishing was rubbish but he created panic. That panic won penalties and free kicks and got opposition players ruffled and booked or sent off. He was brilliant. More than just goals.

Just checked Kevin Bartlett’s stats and his finishing wasn’t so dusty as we thought. He scored 33 goals for Notts in 99 league appearances. We’d welcome that sort of return these days.

Maybe because of his incredible speed he just found himself in one on ones more than most players and that’s why he appeared to miss so many.

slack_pie
13-08-2017, 08:08 AM
Keith Curle was into the whole building from the back thing as well. I remember away at Sheffield United we spent half the game passing it between Bart, Leacock and Liddle. It either ended in an eventual long punt as their forwards put us under pressure or a misplaced pass that let the opposition in. But hey, at least they got to express themselves.

I think a long kick is the safest bet, but I would always go with a quick throw to the wingers if a counter attack is on.

slack_pie
13-08-2017, 08:09 AM
Just checked Kevin Bartlett’s stats and his finishing wasn’t so dusty as we thought. He scored 33 goals for Notts in 99 league appearances. We’d welcome that sort of return these days.

Maybe because of his incredible speed he just found himself in one on ones more than most players and that’s why he appeared to miss so many.

True, that's a good return. If Bartlett has been a great finisher, he would have been one of the best strikers around.

pedrolane
13-08-2017, 08:54 AM
A win and 3 pts on the board but lets not get carried away as we all know where teams with Branston's recruitment end up...

Old_pie
13-08-2017, 09:29 AM
A win and 3 pts on the board but lets not get carried away as we all know where teams with Branston's recruitment end up...

Who's getting carried away?

Alan Hardy‏Verified account @Bigalanh5 19m19 minutes ago

Alan Hardy Retweeted Jon Lowe

We'll be up there in playoffs this season for sure 👍

Alan Hardy added,
Jon Lowe @ItsJonlowe
Replying to @Bigalanh5
A win and a clean sheet and people still find something to moan about! Unbelievable

jackal2
13-08-2017, 09:44 AM
Who's getting carried away?

Alan Hardy‏Verified account @Bigalanh5 19m19 minutes ago

Alan Hardy Retweeted Jon Lowe

We'll be up there in playoffs this season for sure ��

Alan Hardy added,
Jon Lowe @ItsJonlowe
Replying to @Bigalanh5
A win and a clean sheet and people still find something to moan about! Unbelievable

He just can't help himself can he? Alan, you're doing a lot of good things but please, leave the limelight to your performers.

Carlton_Pie
13-08-2017, 09:49 AM

Nolan doesnt set this team up to play from the back. The tactics are simple, get the ball out of our half and into the oppositions half as quickly as possible and pick up the pieces. I have no issue with this tactic at all but we are missing a couple of key players to make this work to put us near the top of the table. When Chesterfield lost a player, they allowed Notts to pass the ball around and we struggled to do this with any conviction.

1. A midfield player to pick up the 2nd balls in and around the oppositions box. Grant is obviously this player but before he came on, Yates and Hewitt were too deep to do this.

2. A striker with pace to push the opposition back. If Nolan can sign this player and he plays well off Ameobi, we are in with a shout of a top 7 finish.

KeepTheMagpieFlyingH
13-08-2017, 12:10 PM
I wasn't talking about the few games in the Munto season, I meant McParland's 'style' after he took over from Steve Thompson.

It was McParlands plan ..McParlands only plan! I can't recall any other style of play..whoever was in the side..Hughes..Rodgers..Weston..
Forrester?

Nolans not that much different to McParland..clear differences..the ball goes forward sooner but the 2 cart horses haven't got a prayer. After last seasons upturn..I thought he had what it takes..unfortunately he's making McParland look like a tactical genius in comparison.

Elite_Pie
13-08-2017, 12:19 PM
Nolans not that much different to McParland..clear differences..the ball goes forward sooner but the 2 cart horses haven't got a prayer. After last seasons upturn..I thought he had what it takes..unfortunately he's making McParland look like a tactical genius in comparison.

I can only conclude that you must be Ian McParland or his wife.

Freeman25
13-08-2017, 02:46 PM
McParland always liked to tell people he wanted his team to play passing football but like Elite said, it consisted of the defence and keeper playing a bit of passing football between themselves before one of them kicked it long, every single time.

pedrolane
13-08-2017, 04:46 PM
Unfortunately back then we had Edwards at the back who couldn't pass WIND...long or short...