PDA

View Full Version : Back from the game

InversneckieDob
12-08-2017, 06:31 PM
Apart from 1st 10 and last 10 we were awesome. Should have given them a mother and a father of horsings.
How the faaaaaark that was only 2-1 is a mystery
Tansey was just wonderful......I never suspected there was a midfielder that quality in there when I saw him play for ICT.
Once May is up to speed........this could be a season .

RedStarTorphins
12-08-2017, 06:53 PM
Apart from 1st 10 and last 10 we were awesome. Should have given them a mother and a father of horsings.
How the faaaaaark that was only 2-1 is a mystery
Tansey was just wonderful......I never suspected there was a midfielder that quality in there when I saw him play for ICT.
Once May is up to speed........this could be a season .

Still a left sided centre half short IMO.
It's churlish to complain after this window we've had but Reynolds gives me the fear.

foreveradon
12-08-2017, 07:04 PM
Still a left sided centre half short IMO.
It's churlish to complain after this window we've had but Reynolds gives me the fear.

Absolute cracker of a goal tho

Thought oconnor was fantastic at the back today

Mek
12-08-2017, 07:11 PM
Hopefully once Arnason is up to speed he'll play more regularly and help to settle that defence. Either O'Connor or Reynolds alongside him should provide a pretty solid defence.

Wouldnt object to another CH though.

RedStarTorphins
12-08-2017, 07:11 PM
Absolute cracker of a goal tho

Thought oconnor was fantastic at the back today

The goal is a one off though as good as it was & welcome today.
It's the defensive frailties I worry about.
Better teams will exploit that.
If we can sign one more player this window then it would be a left centre half imo.

87kilos
12-08-2017, 07:20 PM
A left back is a bigger priority than a centre half. O'Connor has been excellent this season (so far) and I suspect that once Arnason is up to speed he'll partner O'Connor.

I also suspect that we will need to change formation as May isn't a loan striker plus is Rooney going to be happy to sit on the bench.

Rooney is the penalty box striker that snaps up chances like today.

rico94
12-08-2017, 08:11 PM
I still think if McInnes wasn't so stubborn and played Arnason along side O'Conner or Reynolds they would be a lot better.

He is too loyal to certain players who have done well for him in the past,Reynolds,O'Conner,McLean and Considine particularly are shoe ins for a start no matter how bad they play.

deargdearg
12-08-2017, 08:41 PM
What is all this shouting for Arnason? The only time he started, he was rank rottena nd had to be taken off. Was 87kilos at the game today? I doubt it. Considine, as usual was immense as was O'Connor. I like the way O'Connor has come out of his shell and is now always communicating and ordering others around. I enjoyed the match very much, but . . . With fast forward players waiting for a through ball, why oh why was the ball passed back so often - all the way back to Lewis. Good 3 points but with a bit of luck for the County it could have easily been 2-2 or worse. That County shot that nearly broke the bar near the end was a cracker. Great turn out by thea Dandies as usual.

rico94
12-08-2017, 08:53 PM
What is all this shouting for Arnason? The only time he started, he was rank rottena nd had to be taken off. Was 87kilos at the game today? I doubt it. Considine, as usual was immense as was O'Connor. I like the way O'Connor has come out of his shell and is now always communicating and ordering others around. I enjoyed the match very much, but . . . With fast forward players waiting for a through ball, why oh why was the ball passed back so often - all the way back to Lewis. Good 3 points but with a bit of luck for the County it could have easily been 2-2 or worse. That County shot that nearly broke the bar near the end was a cracker. Great turn out by thea Dandies as usual.

Because Reynolds and O'Conner have looked really dodgy together,Plus we supposedly paid 90k to get Arnason out of his contract so what's the point if McInnes isn't going to play him.

I didn't think he was great against Hamilton last week but Taylor put in worse performances week in week out and got picked regularly.I like Reynolds but he has been poor as well so why not give Arnason a run of games?

87kilos
12-08-2017, 09:00 PM

Read what I have said about O'Connor again. So the pass back by Considine that O'Connor had to make a superb last ditch tackle didn't happen?

Considine is average at best. Weakest link in our side by quite some margin.

Redtothebone
12-08-2017, 10:13 PM
Seen the highlights ..wow this **** could click ..COYR

NaeMairNeeps
13-08-2017, 01:34 AM
Highlights? Linky? :O

sheepcrooky
13-08-2017, 07:24 AM
Highlights? Linky? :O

Red TV has them.

Pacman1903
13-08-2017, 07:25 AM
Red TV has them.

Will it work

mondo_notion
13-08-2017, 08:56 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8tTPN1WRHE

mondo_notion
13-08-2017, 09:20 AM
Most teams should be embarrassed with their home support when they see the travelling red army roll in to town.

Jussi
13-08-2017, 09:39 AM
Considine, as usual was immense ..

I really appreciate posters providing their view on the game.
But I 'm sorry to say I wont be paying much attention to your's in future.
On the strength of the above quote.

Jussi
13-08-2017, 09:42 AM
People are getting a bit carried away so far.

We could just have easily drawn both games.

Had we been playing newco & hibs those 2 games , we would have been on the end of two heavy defeats already imo

bpdon
13-08-2017, 09:44 AM
I really appreciate posters providing their view on the game.
But I 'm sorry to say I wont be paying much attention to your's in future.
On the strength of the above quote.
One slightly stray header aside, I thought Andy played just fine yesterday. O'Connor however was immense. Even Reynold looked relatively assured and it was actually Logan who uncharacteristically cost us in the first 2 mins - he made up for it though.

rico94
13-08-2017, 10:39 AM

Had we been playing newco & hibs those 2 games , we would have been on the end of two heavy defeats already imo

That's a bit glass half empty min.

Both newco and Hibs will be strong this year but they aren't world beaters,like us they are liable to concede goals and with our attacking options we will score goals against both of them.

Don_Corleone
13-08-2017, 01:04 PM
Competent performance against a hard working, awkward opponent, away from home. These are the kind of games we need to be winning without question, so job done.

Can't pick fault in anyone really - we got the job done. No amazingly stand out performances, just a good all round team victory. Definitely needs Christie back in the starting 11, and Wright can't be too far off a starting place, but it's good to have a variety of options and competition for places. Arnason needs to earn his right to start just like everyone else - he was rotten when he got the opportunity, so he'll need to bide his time - that's how it works.

I liked what I saw of May - more mobile and better control, touch and ability on the ball than any of our other forwards - missed a couple of chances but the goals will come. I do think Maynard will have a part to play this season, but can't see how Stockley's going to fit in unless we're desperate in the last 10 mins of a game and looking to launch long balls forward. The Rooney one is interesting - can't see him getting in ahead of May as May offers more generally, but at the same time he's the best finisher / goalscorer. Will be interesting to see how the striker conundrum plays out - and what the first choice 3 in behind will be.

rico94
13-08-2017, 01:22 PM
Arnason needs to earn his right to start just like everyone else - he was rotten when he got the opportunity, so he'll need to bide his time - that's how it works

That's not entirely true,McInnes has his favourites and even if they have a shocker they will still get picked the following week.

How many times did Taylor have a nightmare and still got picked the next game?

Guys like Reynolds,Considine and McLean can all be rotten and never get dropped.

DollyLongstaffe
13-08-2017, 01:26 PM

It would be interesting to see what percentage of games we won after conceding the first goal in the period of, say, 10 years prior to Deek coming here. My guess it'd be something like 5%. The first goal is notoriously key in the SPL, because on the budgets available to our clubs it's difficult to bring in real creativity. The team that scores first usually goes on to win or at worst draw, unless they were playing Celtic or the dead club.

Don't underestimate how good a result it is to come from behind and win. We've deserved to win both games. Most games in the league will either be drawn or won by a single goal: in almost every one there will be an incident that would have changed a win to a draw or a draw to a defeat if it had just happened slightly differently. Look at the Tims on Friday.

DollyLongstaffe
13-08-2017, 01:58 PM
One slightly stray header aside, I thought Andy played just fine yesterday. O'Connor however was immense. Even Reynold looked relatively assured and it was actually Logan who uncharacteristically cost us in the first 2 mins - he made up for it though.

I'm a big fan of Shay's but it's worrying how often he's been the player most implicated when we've conceded in the past several games. Maybe it's bad luck or coincidence, but I also have the suspicion that he gets bored with the side of the game that involves just being a good, solid defender; too often he's caught out of position trying to make stuff happen going forward, or trying to do someone else's job as well as his own. No-one would dispute he's by far the pick of our back 4 in terms of ability, but he needs to be reminded that the first entry in his job description is to be a solid defensive full back.

I tire of Conso's critics not so much because I think they are wrong but because the change they are calling for so obviously isn't going to happen. Whether they are right or wrong about his deficiencies as a full back (and I've gone back and fore on this myself) it's 100% clear that Deek has no intention of replacing him. Saying "our first priority is a left back" may be a defensible opinion but it's also total fantasy because the only man whose opinion really counts thinks it's scheidt.

I remain worried about the centre back position. O'Connor alternates solid performances with Bambi on ice impersonations, and the latter tend to come in bigger games against better opposition. Reynold's form hasn't been consistently good for 2 or 3 seasons now. I remain strongly suspicious that Arnason's signing will turn out to be a blunder by a manager too focused on replacing Hayes and McGinn to have his eye properly on the ball when it came to replacing Taylor. Top players nowadays keep themselves fit - it's not like the old days when players spent the close season playing snooker and gambling and turned up for pre-season a stone heavier. Arnason came on in Europe over 3 weeks ago. I can't see why he shouldn't be fit enough to appear in a game against Ross County over 3 weeks later. I'm remined of Storey, who we were told wasn't getting picked because he wasn't fit when in fact had Deek obviously decided he wasn't good enough.

torry_battery_ram
13-08-2017, 02:25 PM
I'm a big fan of Shay's but it's worrying how often he's been the player most implicated when we've conceded in the past several games. Maybe it's bad luck or coincidence, but I also have the suspicion that he gets bored with the side of the game that involves just being a good, solid defender; too often he's caught out of position trying to make stuff happen going forward, or trying to do someone else's job as well as his own. No-one would dispute he's by far the pick of our back 4 in terms of ability, but he needs to be reminded that the first entry in his job description is to be a solid defensive full back.

I tire of Conso's critics not so much because I think they are wrong but because the change they are calling for so obviously isn't going to happen. Whether they are right or wrong about his deficiencies as a full back (and I've gone back and fore on this myself) it's 100% clear that Deek has no intention of replacing him. Saying "our first priority is a left back" may be a defensible opinion but it's also total fantasy because the only man whose opinion really counts thinks it's scheidt.

I remain worried about the centre back position. O'Connor alternates solid performances with Bambi on ice impersonations, and the latter tend to come in bigger games against better opposition. Reynold's form hasn't been consistently good for 2 or 3 seasons now. I remain strongly suspicious that Arnason's signing will turn out to be a blunder by a manager too focused on replacing Hayes and McGinn to have his eye properly on the ball when it came to replacing Taylor. Top players nowadays keep themselves fit - it's not like the old days when players spent the close season playing snooker and gambling and turned up for pre-season a stone heavier. Arnason came on in Europe over 3 weeks ago. I can't see why he shouldn't be fit enough to appear in a game against Ross County over 3 weeks later. I'm remined of Storey, who we were told wasn't getting picked because he wasn't fit when in fact had Deek obviously decided he wasn't good enough.

Considine doesn't bomb forward nearly as much as Logan. Logan would probably be better as an attacking wing back as he seems much more comfortable going forward than he is defensively.

As for Arnason, was he really all that good when he played for us first time around? Bar his goals at Ibrox and Tannadump I don't really remember many stand out performances. Could it be that maybe he's not as good as he's made out to be?

We are a long way off from properly clicking yet but already we have 6 points from 2 games, this time last season we had 2 points after 2 dull 0-0s with St Johnstone and Hearts.

It may be close between us, Hibs and Rangers for 2nd but I am encouraged by what we have produced so far as there is a lot more to come.

kkong
13-08-2017, 02:26 PM
May isn't a loan striker

You're right - he's on a 4 year deal. :P

Mek
13-08-2017, 02:28 PM
Interesting comment from Deek when talking about May. Discussing how he fits in to most team selections, up front on his own, up front as a 2, playing from the side, etc. Hopefully see a change of formation a bit more often now we have a good spread of attacking talent all round.

Jussi
13-08-2017, 03:09 PM
As for Arnason, was he really all that good when he played for us first time around? Bar his goals at Ibrox and Tannadump I don't really remember many stand out performances. Could it be that maybe he's not as good as he's made out to be?

His ball control & passing skills made those around him look like amateurs. Thats what I recall

DollyLongstaffe
13-08-2017, 05:56 PM
His ball control & passing skills made those around him look like amateurs. Thats what I recall

He came here after injury issues. He was at that time clearly a player who could earn more than we could pay him if he proved he was injury free. He liked being here enough to signal he was happy to stay - if we could match the kind of money he'd be offered down south. That was never going to happen, so before Christmas he'd signalled his intention to go after one season.

That's where my issues with him start. I'd no problem with him leaving - he was fully entitled to earn what he was worth. But once it was clear we weren't going to be able to keep him, his commitment levels shaded right off. We gave the guy a chance to get past his injury, he got back to form and our reward was half a season of a player who was only trying when the mood took him. He looked like he was sulking because we hadn't met his wage demands, which would have blown our budget.

Also, he played mainly in midfield for us. A few games in central defence when we had injuries/suspensions etc. To me he looked less comfortable in that position.

At 34, he presumably no longer has the pace to play midfield - but is he any better a defender? Certainly not based on what we've seen so far. Easily beaten in the air and vulnerable to the ball played in behind for a nippy guy to run on to, he's totally looked like the weakest link in a pretty ordinary defence. Even his distribution - the one area of the game I'd expect him to easily outshine guys like Reynolds and O'Connor - was like Ash Taylor having a bad day.

I'm not writing him off after a couple of games. I didn't want us to sign him but I'd like to think Deek has done his homework and satisfied himself that even at 34 he is fit enough has enough quality to be an asset. But I don't have a good feeling about it.

rico94
13-08-2017, 06:41 PM
Arnason will be a good player for us if he gets the chance,it's a load of shyte people are trying to make on he was atrocious last week,he wasn't great but I have seen a lot worse performances from defenders for us which have cost us games.

This is my biggest gripe with Considine enthusiasts,it seems pretty much every defender we have had is pysh and not good enough but it's ok for bloody "Consi" to be pysh because he "tries" and has "improved "

We could get rid of Arnason,O'Conner and Reynolds and bring in 3 top quality defenders and there would still be a weakness in defence and his surname begins with C.

DollyLongstaffe
13-08-2017, 07:55 PM
Arnason will be a good player for us if he gets the chance,it's a load of shyte people are trying to make on he was atrocious last week,he wasn't great but I have seen a lot worse performances from defenders for us which have cost us games.

This is my biggest gripe with Considine enthusiasts,it seems pretty much every defender we have had is pysh and not good enough but it's ok for bloody "Consi" to be pysh because he "tries" and has "improved "

We could get rid of Arnason,O'Conner and Reynolds and bring in 3 top quality defenders and there would still be a weakness in defence and his surname begins with C.

Have to disagree, Arnason's performance was utterly atrocious. Lot worse - in what sense? I've seen guys make honking mistakes that cost us goals and games. What I haven't seen is another defender who so totally looked out of their depth. Easily beat in the air and pushed around by ordinary SPL players time after time. Clearly targeted for his lack of pace by opposition managers. Distribution panicky and awful. Unsurprisingly subbed early and never seen since.

On that performance Considine - a guy I've criticised plenty in the past - is like Willie Miller by comparison.

stansmith
13-08-2017, 08:50 PM
At 34, he presumably no longer has the pace to play midfield - but is he any better a defender? Certainly not based on what we've seen so far. Easily beaten in the air and vulnerable to the ball played in behind for a nippy guy to run on to, he's totally looked like the weakest link in a pretty ordinary defence. Even his distribution - the one area of the game I'd expect him to easily outshine guys like Reynolds and O'Connor - was like Ash Taylor having a bad day.

I'm not writing him off after a couple of games. I didn't want us to sign him but I'd like to think Deek has done his homework and satisfied himself that even at 34 he is fit enough has enough quality to be an asset. But I don't have a good feeling about it.

You've completely made that up. It hasn't happened.

stansmith
13-08-2017, 08:56 PM
Have to disagree, Arnason's performance was utterly atrocious. Lot worse - in what sense? I've seen guys make honking mistakes that cost us goals and games. What I haven't seen is another defender who so totally looked out of their depth. Easily beat in the air and pushed around by ordinary SPL players time after time. Clearly targeted for his lack of pace by opposition managers. Distribution panicky and awful. Unsurprisingly subbed early and never seen since.

On that performance Considine - a guy I've criticised plenty in the past - is like Willie Miller by comparison.

Probably the strangest post I've ever seen.

His distribution was poor going forwards but he was very composed heading it to someone else or passing it along the back. He didn't lose a header and nicked the ball off a couple of their forwards.

Are you not on about when he went off and we suddenly were panicky and awful?

87kilos
13-08-2017, 09:16 PM

Aye ok Andy, best get to your bed you have training in the morning.

DollyLongstaffe
14-08-2017, 01:08 PM
Probably the strangest post I've ever seen.

His distribution was poor going forwards but he was very composed heading it to someone else or passing it along the back. He didn't lose a header and nicked the ball off a couple of their forwards.

Are you not on about when he went off and we suddenly were panicky and awful?

It's an accurate description of his performance. Given his recent patchy form I never thought I'd be so happy to see Reynolds come on. I'm convinced Hamilton would have got a draw if he hadn't.

But let's see where we are in a few weeks time. I've never denied that my concerns about Arnason could be misplaced: if has established himself in the side and is playing well I'll be delighted to say I got it wrong. If he isn't getting a game and we're persisting with the pretty weak central defensive partnership of Reynolds and O'Connor I would hope the Arnason fanbois will have the grace to admit that they did, and won't hid behind garbage like "Deek's so loyal to the old guard he's not giving him a chance". Deek had no problem leaving out Reynolds or O'Connor when Taylor was here.

rico94
14-08-2017, 01:40 PM
It's an accurate description of his performance. Given his recent patchy form I never thought I'd be so happy to see Reynolds come on. I'm convinced Hamilton would have got a draw if he hadn't.

But let's see where we are in a few weeks time. I've never denied that my concerns about Arnason could be misplaced: if has established himself in the side and is playing well I'll be delighted to say I got it wrong. If he isn't getting a game and we're persisting with the pretty weak central defensive partnership of Reynolds and O'Connor I would hope the Arnason fanbois will have the grace to admit that they did, and won't hid behind garbage like "Deek's so loyal to the old guard he's not giving him a chance". Deek had no problem leaving out Reynolds or O'Connor when Taylor was here.

Thats because Taylor was his no 1 defender and couldn't see past him. I really cant see why you think Arnason has been that bad, as soon as he went off against Hamilton our defence was all over the place and they nearly equalized. When Arnason came on in the Apollon game at Pittodrie O'Conner looked 10 times better playing alongside him than he did with Reynolds.

If McInnes doesn't rate Arnason then why did he sign him?

I wasn't that fussed about bringing him back but hes here and deserves more of a chance than 1 start and 1 substitute appearance before being written off, if he doesn't get a proper chance then DM would have been better doing his usual in signing a defender from the lower leagues in England that no ones heard of and using him as back up. At least it would have saved us paying Arnason out of his contract.

afc1903mad
14-08-2017, 01:50 PM
Thats because Taylor was his no 1 defender and couldn't see past him. I really cant see why you think Arnason has been that bad, as soon as he went off against Hamilton our defence was all over the place and they nearly equalized. When Arnason came on in the Apollon game at Pittodrie O'Conner looked 10 times better playing alongside him than he did with Reynolds.

I wasn't that fussed about bringing him back but hes here and deserves more of a chance than 1 start and 1 substitute appearance before being written off, if he doesn't get a proper chance then DM would have been better doing his usual in signing a defender from the lower leagues in England that no ones heard of and using him as back up. At least it would have saved us paying Arnason out of his contract.

It's early doors, he needs time to get back up to speed.
Against Hamilton though, he was the poorest of the back four and rightly hooked.

DollyLongstaffe
14-08-2017, 02:55 PM

Taylor kept getting picked because despite his failings, which were considerable, and pace his detractors on here and elsewhere, he was still the most effective central defender at the club during his spell here.

Arnason will have been signed because Deek thought he was a good addition - which is why he also signed Stockley, Storey and others who never made much impact here. I'm a big Deek fan, but like most managers he's got some signings right and some wrong.

My worry is that the summer was eaten up with concern about how we were going to replace the goals and assists we lost when McGinn and Hayes went, and that finding a replacement for Taylor was a bit of an afterthought. Arnason looked good on paper, he had some connection to the club and wanted to come here. Also good central defenders are *really* hard to come by on our budget. I also think Arnason is an unusual personality for a footballer and would be very good at marketing himself.

Maybe I'm doing the manager a disservice and he really did his homework and still believes that Arnason can still be an outstanding SPL defender. If it turns out that way I'll be delighted, like every Dandy. I'm a lot more interested in the team being good than in being right. I'm just not optimistic as things stand.

teaboy1903
14-08-2017, 04:27 PM
Taylor kept getting picked because despite his failings, which were considerable, and pace his detractors on here and elsewhere, he was still the most effective central defender at the club during his spell here.

Arnason will have been signed because Deek thought he was a good addition - which is why he also signed Stockley, Storey and others who never made much impact here. I'm a big Deek fan, but like most managers he's got some signings right and some wrong.

My worry is that the summer was eaten up with concern about how we were going to replace the goals and assists we lost when McGinn and Hayes went, and that finding a replacement for Taylor was a bit of an afterthought. Arnason looked good on paper, he had some connection to the club and wanted to come here. Also good central defenders are *really* hard to come by on our budget. I also think Arnason is an unusual personality for a footballer and would be very good at marketing himself.

Maybe I'm doing the manager a disservice and he really did his homework and still believes that Arnason can still be an outstanding SPL defender. If it turns out that way I'll be delighted, like every Dandy. I'm a lot more interested in the team being good than in being right. I'm just not optimistic as things stand.

There's been a multitude of games Derek could have watched of Arnasson, not least his involvement with Iceland last year. So unless he's really gone downhill in the last 12 months, then we have a very good player in Kari.

I can't imagine someone as thorough as Derek would have signed him on a whim without due diligence

stansmith
14-08-2017, 04:34 PM

It's absolute garbage min. Were you on hallucinogenics?

Watch it back and tell me which minute he's easily beaten in the air or pushed around by a defender.

stansmith
14-08-2017, 04:37 PM

This. What on earth were people watching?

rico94
14-08-2017, 04:51 PM

Well I would imagine he has it in him to be an SPFL defender considering he is an international footballer who played at a major tournament 12 months ago.McInnes has to give him a chance though because O'Conner and Reynolds as our 2 centre backs against better teams than Hamilton and County makes me worry.