PDA

View Full Version : What does beating Chelsea mean?

thedonz
13-08-2017, 09:18 AM
Beating the reigning champions on their own patch in the first game of the season after having sold 2 key players from last season. Will it mean anything in the long run?

Can it simply be regarded as beating a weakened team in disarray ?

Or are we going to see a new ruthless Burnley team, taking the game to the opposition more this season?

blueheeler1
13-08-2017, 09:40 AM
Beating the reigning champions on their own patch in the first game of the season after having sold 2 key players from last season. Will it mean anything in the long run?

Can it simply be regarded as beating a weakened team in disarray ?

Or are we going to see a new ruthless Burnley team, taking the game to the opposition more this season?

No question it was a fantastic result but it needs to be put into perspective.

The sending off of Cahill was massive to the result as was the Chelsea goal that was disallowed when a Chelsea player in an offside position touched the ball over the line. Had he left it alone it would have gone over the line anyway and counted.

We didn't show in the second half and it was a nervy finish against 9 men.

Chelsea imploded which was another great result for us but even so they still manged a goal with 9 men.

Our subs didn't move us along when they came on so, all in all, a great day that didn't answer all our questions.

In the first half we came forward in numbers and looked very good--but all that stopped in the second half.

Nerves; not being in that position too often and the first game of the season probably all played a part.

But I would love us to keep at a team and not sit back.

Obviously much better to have won than had a canning so lets see how we go in the next few games which shouldn't be quite as daunting.

thedonz
13-08-2017, 10:02 AM
Fair assessment. I would like to have had another look at the disallowed Vokes goal where Tarkowski was judged to have fouled. Not shown on MOTD and on limited viewing and Tarka's post match comments , another ref might not have blown a foul. Brady was also very unlucky with that free kick near the end which would have made it 4-2.

I thought Defour going off didn't help but looks like he will be used more regularly but again subbed before games are seen out.

Lot of nervous play towards the end as the Chelsea players and fans were shouting for penalties every time the ball was in our box.

But great credit to the players that they held out and will only benefit us as the season goes on.

When times are tough throughout this season we will always remember this Chelsea result and use it as a spur to unite and compete with thease so called big city clubs

The Bedlington Terrier
13-08-2017, 10:13 AM
It means three points.

It means that other teams indiscipline will be punished by a ruthless Burnley team who look to have learned a lot of lessons from their two previous EPL campaigns.

it means I don't have to listen to and read a load of drivel about Burnley being nothing but a long ball team who can only win at home. :D

chalky_ncfc
13-08-2017, 12:07 PM
There is no better time to play a top three team than in the first game of the season,they would have had a reality check over the weekend never mind some kind of punishment for the two red cards,chances are they may take revenge in the return leg when they are in full flow but then again you may end up being their bogey team,whatever happens you beat Chelsea at their ground and was 0-3 up by half time,tell yer grandkids about it in future years until they bet fed up of hearing about it,thats what i would do,that's what it means

Norder
13-08-2017, 12:16 PM

Also - it means we took 3 points.....from the League Champions - Nice!!! :D

....we obviously outplayed them in the first half....but to what level of skill did that take - if we were given the time and the space all over the field - we weren't pressured - and Chelsea were pedestrian - as great as the win was.....I can't think of a single side in the PL that wouldn't have left the pitch at half time with goals in the back of the Chelsea net.
In the second half - Chelsea took control of the game, pinned us back - kept the ball - and were easily the better team....all it took was for them to step up a gear - move the ball quicker, and be a little bit more imaginative....was our usual response under pressure - fall back and defend - which meant little as Chelsea managed to score twice....the second of which came with Chelsea down to 9 men....when amazingly, they were still the stronger team.
My self- indulgent feelings tell me this win was massive.....am loving it - but my reasoned consideration tells me something else - and it's that - that gives me cause for concern.

It's Early days for the team....the truth will be revealed soon enough, only hope is - for a few more quality signings to lift us to the next level.

;D

barrie_burn
13-08-2017, 12:35 PM
Simple.It means the target is now down to another 37 points.

oldcolner
13-08-2017, 12:46 PM
It also means an end to Moratas 52 game unbeaten run!

Incredibly, prior to taking on Burnley, Morata had been on a 52-game unbeaten streak in league matches, not having tasted defeat since a 1-0 loss to Sassuolo back in October 2015 while at Juventus.

http://metro.co.uk/2017/08/13/burnley-defeat-finally-ends-chelsea-new-boy-alvaro-moratas-incredible-52-game-record-6849156/#ixzz4pdezee3Q

oldcolner
13-08-2017, 01:05 PM
A few more courtesy of the BBC

Chelsea are only the second reigning Premier League champions to lose the opening game of the following campaign (also Leicester last season.
Chelsea are the first reigning Premier League champions to concede three goals in the opening game of the next season.
Chelsea picked up their first red card in the Premier League in 41 games, since John Terry was dismissed against Sunderland (May 2016).
Chelsea are the first side to pick up two red cards on the opening day of a Premier League season.
The Blues had two players sent off in a game for the seventh time in the Premier League and the first since March 2014 (against Aston Villa.

Deadlydave
13-08-2017, 02:35 PM
Simple.It means the target is now down to another 37 points.

Quite correct yourself and BT saying "it's 3 points" is the only way to look at this. It's 3 points we did not expect to get looking at the fixture list. However over the season we will drop points at home that we should not and so this in part a bonus to our points tally we must not squander. It does not make us a super team and yes we need to add to our squad before the window shuts. It does however make for very happy clarets this weekend B)

oldcolner
13-08-2017, 02:53 PM
We only scored 13 away goals last year!

Altobelli
13-08-2017, 03:12 PM

Like a few on here, to me it means only 3 points and an away win.

I do hope your last line is spot on Donz.

1972Claret
13-08-2017, 03:21 PM
It means we now have the talent and creativity to set up a midfield thst is both a defensive unit and a threat.

Turfmoorspirit
13-08-2017, 04:40 PM
Pretty much the same view as most on here.. An unexpected 3 points towards survival.