PDA

View Full Version : Gary Gardner signs on loan for the season

POGGYWELL
13-08-2017, 11:51 AM
Championship side Barnsley could be set to sign Aston Villa midfielder Gary Gardner, according to Alan Nixon on Twitter.

The midfielder has spent much of his career on loan with various clubs, and has enjoyed spells with Nottingham Forest, who have been one of the clubs linked with making a permanent move for him over the summer.

However, it now appears that Barnsley could be set to jump to the front of the queue to sign Gardner, with manager Paul Heckingbottom keen to add reinforcements to his squad before the end of transfer window.

Gardner has still only made just shy of 40 appearances for the Villans, despite being with the club since 2011. His loan spells with Forest over the last two seasons have been his most successful spells in his career thus far, with spells at Brighton, Sheffield Wednesday, and Coventry City earlier in his career all helping his development too.

The box to box midfielder would no doubt be an excellent signing for Barnsley, who have been searching for a quality central midfielder since losing Conor Hourihane to Villa in January last season.

https://www.clubcall.com/championship/tykes-eye-villa-star-1859550.html

yorkshireborn
13-08-2017, 11:57 AM
wot another midfielder

animallittle3
13-08-2017, 12:01 PM
At least two or three leaving surely , Mowatt would be the stand out departure for me and possibly Mallan loaned out .

POGGYWELL
13-08-2017, 12:10 PM
I reckon quite a few negotiations going on for a few of ours.

DOOALI
13-08-2017, 12:32 PM
Reinforcement midfield they're having a laugh

POGGYWELL
13-08-2017, 03:24 PM
Reinforcements to strengthen definitely needed!

Ponte_Steve24
15-08-2017, 04:22 PM
After watching second half saturday. I thought we got bullied in the middle as Williams got tired and lost a bit of discipline. I'd be all for a Gardner or Lowe doing the ugly side like Scowen n' Morsy used to do. Now we have Thiam, Bradshaw, Payne, Hedges, Ugbo and Brown knocking on the door i'm changing my tune n' agreeing the midfield is a bit lightweight and takes priority again with a seasoned centre back coming in as well. As Hecky said in pre season we do the pretty side quite well we just need to put tackles in.

DOOALI
15-08-2017, 06:33 PM
Reinforcement definitely? WHY have they all been signed in first place Poggy?

EastStandRed
23-08-2017, 02:23 PM
Gary Gardner is a player that remains on Barnsley’s radar at this late stage of the transfer window.

Paul Heckingbottom is desperately trying to bolster his Barnsley squad between now and the end of the summer, having seen a number of high-profile players leave already.

Gardner is on Barnsley’s radar, with Heckingbottom watching the midfielder in Aston Villa’s victory over Wigan Athletic in the Carabao Cup.

The midfielder is set to leave Aston Villa this summer, as he doesn’t feature in Steve Bruce’s plans at Villa Park.

Ponte_Steve24
23-08-2017, 02:26 PM
Has anyone noticed the quality of player we're being linked with has gone up a notch now we're being linked with a takeover?

EastStandRed
31-08-2017, 12:51 PM
Barnsley close in on Aston Villa's Gary Gardner

Barnsley are leading the race to sign Aston Villa midfielder Gary Gardner.

The Championship side want to take the 25-year-old on loan for the rest of the season and are closing in on a move.

Gardner has been told by boss Steve Bruce that he can leave and a number of clubs have shown an interest.

However, it’s the Tykes who look set to land the middle man who has fallen down the pecking order this season.

Bruce signed Josh Onomah on loan from Tottenham and experienced midfielder Glenn Whelan, restricting Gardner to just one appearance in the Carabao Cup win over Wigan Athletic.

The boss said last week:

“We still haven’t hit the (Financial Fair Play) targets so I would still envisage there has to be one or two who still move on.

“I think for the sake of the squad and the sake of them it is the right thing.

“Gary Gardner, for example, Ross McCormack, people like that.”

Romared
31-08-2017, 03:07 PM
Mowatt n Gardner !? Sarnds like thu shud be looking after pitches !!
Which wuns Bill n which wuns Ben ;D

EastStandRed
31-08-2017, 03:08 PM
Villa want us to pay all his wages so can't see this happening. He's on £13k a week :P

EastStandRed
31-08-2017, 08:01 PM
The experienced midfielder arrives on a season-long loan deal from Sky Bet Championship rivals Aston Villa.

Barnsley Football Club are delighted to announce that we have today captured the services of Gary Gardner from Aston Villa on a season-long loan.

The 25-year-old midfielder has made over 100 appearances at Championship level and will now add ***** experience to Paul Heckingbottom's young and hungry squad.

A hard working, combative and talented midfield operator, Gardner made his Villa debut as a 19-year-old in a 3-1 win at Stamford Bridge against Chelsea in December of 2011.

After breaking into the first team setup at Villa Park, Gary, brother of Birmingham City midfielder Craig, then had two successful spells with Brighton & Hove Albion and Nottingham Forest on loan in the Championship for the duration of the 2014/15 season, scoring six times across the campaign and becoming a fans favourite with Forest.

After going back to Villa in the summer of 2015 and featuring on the bench in the Premier League, Gardner would then spend the second half of the 2015/16 campaign back at the City Ground with Forest who secured his services ahead of a host of Championship rivals at the time, where he would go on to make another 22 appearances, scoring twice.

After Aston Villa's relegation, Gary was welcomed back into the fold as the midlands club prepared for life outside the top division for the first time in over 30 years.

Gardner scored his first goal for the Villans in last season's second city derby, putting them 1-0 up against Birmingham at St Andews in a 1-1 draw. He would make 27 appearances for Villa overall during the season.

The 6ft 2’ midfield powerhouse has also represented England right through the age groups up to U21 level where he scored twice for his country in five appearances.

Upon Gardner's arrival on deadline day, Reds Gaffer, Paul Heckingbottom spoke of his delight at the addition of a proven Championship performer, telling us, “We’re really pleased with the signing of Gary, he’s an important addition to give us greater flexibility within the squad and we look forward to working with him. He is going to help us this season and we’re definitely looking forward to that as well.

“I would like to thank Aston Villa for allowing Gary to come here.”

animallittle3
31-08-2017, 08:16 PM
Villa want us to pay all his wages so can't see this happening. He's on £13k a week :P

Clearly someone else is writing the cheques these days

Ponte_Steve24
31-08-2017, 08:16 PM
Anymore loan deals?

6ozDave
31-08-2017, 08:23 PM
Usual turds from Villa hurling abuse on twitter.
Forest fans think something of him- they were after him on a permanent.
Cover for Williams?

SBRed48
31-08-2017, 08:30 PM

If he's on £13k a week aar want £13k a week Mister Lee.

And me Mister Lee.

And me Mister Lee.

animallittle3
31-08-2017, 08:33 PM
If he's on £13k a week aar want £13k a week Mister Lee.

Only £13k tha'll see SB mi owd will be on
next years season ticket renewal form :-) :-) :-)

upthecolliers
31-08-2017, 09:58 PM
He'll be worth every penny if he keeps us in this league.

Romared
31-08-2017, 10:18 PM
He good Gardner no weeds for him

pass_and_move
31-08-2017, 10:24 PM
He good Gardner no weeds for him

He can be t' groundsman if he's no better than Mowatt