PDA

View Full Version : Is Jon Stead fit?

stu_pie
13-08-2017, 05:06 PM
I thought he looked well off the pace yesterday, footwork looked below his usual standard and didn't look confident with his one on one with the goalie either, he then blamed his missed chance on a foul to try and cover it up.

I'd give Forte a run out to try and get a partnership going with Shola at the minute. That is until Nolan pulls a striker out of the bag before the end of the transfer window!

60YearsAPie
13-08-2017, 05:33 PM
I thought he looked well off the pace yesterday, footwork looked below his usual standard and didn't look confident with his one on one with the goalie either, he then blamed his missed chance on a foul to try and cover it up.

I'd give Forte a run out to try and get a partnership going with Shola at the minute. That is until Nolan pulls a striker out of the bag before the end of the transfer window!

Something’s not right. It’s now 1 goal in his last 13 league games and 5 in his last 28.

Carlton_Pie
13-08-2017, 05:36 PM
Something’s not right. It’s now 1 goal in his last 13 league games and 5 in his last 28.

He did look well off the pace yesterday, time for Forte to be given a run.

Did anyone notice Nolan and Stead have a few words when he was subbed?

Freeman25
13-08-2017, 05:44 PM
He did look well off the pace yesterday, time for Forte to be given a run.

Did anyone notice Nolan and Stead have a few words when he was subbed?

Yeah, didn't look too friendly but Nolan definitely made the right choice in taking him off.

I think he had a point in blaming that one on one miss on the foul, he only seemed to actually kick the ball because he was pushed, should have been a penalty in my opinion. He also should have shot way before it got to that point though.

Elite_Pie
13-08-2017, 05:55 PM
I think he had a point in blaming that one on one miss on the foul, he only seemed to actually kick the ball because he was pushed, should have been a penalty in my opinion. He also should have shot way before it got to that point though.

Agree with that, my view at the time was that he got a shove from behind just as he was about to shoot which caused him to scuff the shot and allow the keeper to push it round the post. If that view is correct it should have been a penalty and a red card. I would like to see it again on any highlights to confirm.

countygump
13-08-2017, 06:04 PM
Agree with that, my view at the time was that he got a shove from behind just as he was about to shoot which caused him to scuff the shot and allow the keeper to push it round the post. If that view is correct it should have been a penalty and a red card. I would like to see it again on any highlights to confirm.

Deffo a push. @1min 11sec:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alNwZALJjUU

Elite_Pie
13-08-2017, 06:11 PM
Deffo a push. @1min 11sec:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alNwZALJjUU

Thanks for that gumpy, how did an old fart like me call it better than the ref when I was sat on row R of the Pavis near the halfway line and he was only a few yards away?

jacobncfc
13-08-2017, 06:17 PM
Stead was fouled, looking at the reply, but the guy only had the time to foul him because he was so slow getting the ball under control and out of his feet. He's been really poor the opening two games - would like to think that Forte will be coming in to start at Wycombe.

Carlton_Pie
13-08-2017, 06:18 PM
A quicker striker than Stead and Evatt (who is hardly quick) gets nowhere near him

BTW Nolan very quickly put Stead in his place and told him to sit down...

Freeman25
13-08-2017, 06:18 PM
Wouldn't have been a straight red any more, they changed it because you're not denying a goal scoring opportunity if you then have a penalty so it would have only been a yellow but Evatt was already booked so...

jacobncfc
13-08-2017, 06:20 PM
Wouldn't have been a straight red any more, they changed it because you're not denying a goal scoring opportunity if you then have a penalty so it would have only been a yellow but Evatt was already booked so...

That's only the case if it's a genuine attempt to play the ball, which Evatt would do well to claim there tbh.

jackal2
13-08-2017, 06:23 PM

Jon Stead is a player in decline. It's obvious and understandable as he's now in his mid-30s. He already was on the slide before we signed him, slipping down the leagues and released by Bradford, but for a couple of years he's been good enough to do a job at League Two level. In the summer we had an ideal opportunity to thank him for his service, wish him well on his journey to the USA, and use the money from his wages to invest in a younger player, ideally one who is on an upward trajectory. I could understand us keeping either Stead or Ameobi for their experience, and I would have kept Ameobi because he's a far better target man, but to keep both and start the season with them as our forward line shows a lack of sense.

mickeymag
14-08-2017, 07:53 AM
Seemed to lose his legs then poke it towards goal. Don't think it was even on target goalie made it look good pushing it round for a corner. Wonder where his next goal coming from?

BigFatPie
14-08-2017, 08:43 AM
In some ways I hope he isn't fit because if that's his performance when fully fit, we've got more problems than we thought.
Forte and Ameobi seem like such an obvious partnership to try anyway, particularly with the way we are trying to play this season, but sometimes it appears football managers like to try anything except the obvious...

ancientpie
14-08-2017, 04:57 PM
In some ways I hope he isn't fit because if that's his performance when fully fit, we've got more problems than we thought.
Forte and Ameobi seem like such an obvious partnership to try anyway, particularly with the way we are trying to play this season, but sometimes it appears football managers like to try anything except the obvious...

Careful I posted a similar idea on another thread & got shot down! apparently we have got to back KN without question & have patience or AH will be paying us a visit!!!!!

keldsyke
14-08-2017, 05:38 PM
Careful I posted a similar idea on another thread & got shot down! apparently we have got to back KN without question & have patience or AH will be paying us a visit!!!!!

Perhaps if you balanced things with a bit of optimism now and again then people wouldn't shoot you down. The constant, streamless criticism brings everything down to a level that the club isn't at ( or may have been at if things hadn't changed at Christmas), ' if you change the way you look at, the things you look at change '

ancientpie
14-08-2017, 06:05 PM
Perhaps if you balanced things with a bit of optimism now and again then people wouldn't shoot you down. The constant, streamless criticism brings everything down to a level that the club isn't at ( or may have been at if things hadn't changed at Christmas), ' if you change the way you look at, the things you look at change '

kelds my old fruit, I honestly didn't realise that I was becoming negative or over critical, the truth is that I am an optimist by nature & believe that AH & KN are doing a great job overall, however as a paying customer I feel justified in giving my opinion on the few things that I don't agree with. I have supported this club for about 50 years & will continue to do so & nobody will be more pleased than me if we get promoted this season, but although I may have blindly followed in the past I now feel that I am entitled to my opinion & if people disagree with it then no problem.

keldsyke
14-08-2017, 06:26 PM
kelds my old fruit, I honestly didn't realise that I was becoming negative or over critical, the truth is that I am an optimist by nature & believe that AH & KN are doing a great job overall, however as a paying customer I feel justified in giving my opinion on the few things that I don't agree with. I have supported this club for about 50 years & will continue to do so & nobody will be more pleased than me if we get promoted this season, but although I may have blindly followed in the past I now feel that I am entitled to my opinion & if people disagree with it then no problem.

Hallelujah Positivity 🙂

countygump
14-08-2017, 07:42 PM
Hallelujah Positivity 🙂

Kev's 10 times more positive than me and that's when I'm having a good day!!!

It's me Yarkshire heritage, serry.

See all, say nowt.

Sup all, pay nowt.

And if tha does owt fer nowt, do it fer thaself...................

countygump
15-08-2017, 02:28 PM
Wiseman's red card rescinded.

https://www.chesterfield-fc.co.uk/news/2017/august/20170815-wisemans-red-card-rescinded/

Elite_Pie
15-08-2017, 03:36 PM

https://www.chesterfield-fc.co.uk/news/2017/august/20170815-wisemans-red-card-rescinded/

Correct decision, the ref must have taken leave of his senses to see that as a red card offence. You would feel sorry for Chesterfield if the useless tw@t hadn't waved yellow at Ugwu when it was a clear red a few minutes earlier.

DelroyFacey22
15-08-2017, 03:57 PM
Am I the only one that see's Wiseman pull Hawkridge back? Not sure how it could be seen as anything other than a red unless it's because he wasn't going to get the ball before the keeper caught it? There's absolutely enough contact there for Hawkridge to go down, watch Wiseman's hands as Hawkridge goes in front of him. There was opportunities for 3 other red cards in the game so they should consider themselves unbelievably lucky.

JoePass
15-08-2017, 04:13 PM
Am I the only one that see's Wiseman pull Hawkridge back? Not sure how it could be seen as anything other than a red unless it's because he wasn't going to get the ball before the keeper caught it? There's absolutely enough contact there for Hawkridge to go down, watch Wiseman's hands as Hawkridge goes in front of him. There was opportunities for 3 other red cards in the game so they should consider themselves unbelievably lucky.

Blatant red card, just like the others.

LaxtonLad
15-08-2017, 04:55 PM

It changes nothing really, does it? It no longer affects Notts, but if you say the ref's decision there was wrong you could also say his decision not to send off Ogwu and Evatt was wrong and that would have left Chesterfield with nine men and not ten (and possibly a penalty goal against). I wonder what their manager would say if those two players were given retrothingy red cards and were now suspended for three games each.

BigFatPie
15-08-2017, 05:02 PM
It was nowhere near a red. Hawkridge was never going to get the ball so no clear goal scoring opportunity was prevented.

They should have had two others though.

ancientpie
15-08-2017, 05:06 PM
It changes nothing really, does it? It no longer affects Notts, but if you say the ref's decision there was wrong you could also say his decision not to send off Ogwu and Evatt was wrong and that would have left Chesterfield with nine men and not ten (and possibly a penalty goal against). I wonder what their manager would say if those two players were given retrothingy red cards and were now suspended for three games each.

Yep, luckily the ref had little influence on the outcome & red or yellow cards for the opposition will have little influence on us,but this decision just proves that the ref was as good as we suspected,crap, I suppose for the player in question it matters but in the great scheme of things we will see many of these wrong decisions given both for us & against us over the season, in fairness to the ref players are not helping.

Wedgie_pie
15-08-2017, 05:38 PM
I thought the ref had a good game, mind I did leave my glasses in Sorrento...and yes I've been to Specsavers for a new pair B)B)

ancientpie
15-08-2017, 06:15 PM
I thought the ref had a good game, mind I did leave my glasses in Sorrento...and yes I've been to Specsavers for a new pair B)B)

Apart from missing 2 blatant reds,Ogwu & Evatt a clear penalty & wrongly sending off Wiseman I thought the ref played a blinder & was definitely the best we have seen in a home league game this season!! ;DB)