PDA

View Full Version : The Edge

RazzP83
14-08-2017, 11:28 AM
The Edge has been an absolute liability for months now. He is the only real weakness I see in us for winning the league this year.

He is shocking in aerial duals, distribution is poor and doesn't even seem to organise the back 4. I would stick Quinn in for him straight away.

Prefer Durnan to edge, he is more dangerous in opposition box and even though not the best, still better than Edge.

Rest of the team looking good, we need commanding centre halves in this league, not ones that get bullied and cannot win a header.

Charlie arab
14-08-2017, 11:56 AM
Absolute howler against Dundee and looked shaky again on Sat . Hopefully just a dip in form , Not ready to write him off totally yet but would like to see Quinn in there with Durnan

TerryTheTerror
14-08-2017, 12:19 PM
I like him and think he's one of our most unappreciated players. I really don't understand why folk are so critical of him.

JamesMcClean
14-08-2017, 12:21 PM
We were speaking about this on Saturday. It was noticeable in the Derby that Haber was always looking to play off Edge and rarely Durnan. And he was a bit iffy on Saturday as well. I suspect strongly that he is the one under pressure now from Quinn rather than Durnan.

SmedDUm
14-08-2017, 01:00 PM
I like him and think he's one of our most unappreciated players. I really don't understand why folk are so critical of him.

With Coll Donaldson away Terry we're needing his replacement.
Get ready to be sh1te William.
We always need someone to play donkey, here we go....

RazzP83
14-08-2017, 01:18 PM
With Coll Donaldson away Terry we're needing his replacement.
Get ready to be sh1te William.
We always need someone to play donkey, here we go....

Nonsense, anyone who sat and watched him in play offs and start if this season cannot say he is playing well. Quinn and Scobbie at the club now so drop him and see what they are made of at centre half.

Donaldson was shocking and a donkey, albeit the sarcasm/boos from fans etc was a disgrace.

TerryTheTerror
14-08-2017, 01:25 PM
I honestly don't think he's playing badly.

offshore_arab83
14-08-2017, 01:30 PM
I like him but hes not started well this season, was a stand out last season and what we really needed, pivotal in our good run last year with zero goals conceded.

Hopefully he can play out his bad form just now

SmedDUm
14-08-2017, 01:57 PM
Nor do I think he was necessarily a 'stand out' last season either but over his season & a bit at Tannadice I think he's been at the very least competent and definitely undropable. And the longer he & Durnan play alongside each other the more it'll help each other.
Quinn's a good signing tho cos there are going to be injuries & suspensions & he can play at right back too.

TangerineDream
14-08-2017, 03:10 PM

I like him also and agree one of our most unappreciated. Thing he has to watch out for though is the holding of opposing players, as the tv media delighted in highlighting last season in the play offs.

MagicMugs
14-08-2017, 03:20 PM
I like him but hes not started well this season, was a stand out last season and what we really needed, pivotal in our good run last year with zero goals conceded.

Hopefully he can play out his bad form just now

Spot on, his coming in coincided with our good run last season.
His form to the latter end of the season and start of this one, has been a touch shaky but I think he is old enough to know to play through it and come good again, or he may find himself benched when Quinn gets match fit.

Bloomin 'eck it's good to talk about a Utd team and say there are GOOD OPTIONS to come in now....strange feeling after a few seasons of dross

bobafett
14-08-2017, 04:08 PM
He is what he is. Half the time he's great; half the time he's phucking awful. Not sure we would get much better, realistically. And I'm yet to be totally convinced by Scobbie.

Chick A Saw
14-08-2017, 04:38 PM
If Quinn is another right sided defender, then i hope he is as good as Scobbie at covering on the wrong side of defense!

Other than that, i dont think Edge has done as bad as people think. He is part of the reason that Durnan improved like he did last season and maybe its Durnan improving even more making Edge look bad. I also think that having Scobbie who is better than some along with a maked improvement in Robson, then Edge is maybe at the same level and other have gone past him.

As for new scapegoats, i think Fraser will keep that mantle with Edge and King singled out at times as well.

Logie_Arab
14-08-2017, 05:11 PM
I noticed Quinn is No 5 and Edge is No 14.

offshore_arab83
14-08-2017, 05:20 PM
Spot on, his coming in coincided with our good run last season.
His form to the latter end of the season and start of this one, has been a touch shaky but I think he is old enough to know to play through it and come good again, or he may find himself benched when Quinn gets match fit.

Bloomin 'eck it's good to talk about a Utd team and say there are GOOD OPTIONS to come in now....strange feeling after a few seasons of dross

agreed mate, Scobbie or Quinn are fantastic back up and possibly better than Edge and Durnan

offshore_arab83
14-08-2017, 05:20 PM

Stevie May is 83 at the SSB's

offshore_arab83
14-08-2017, 05:21 PM
As for new scapegoats, i think Fraser will keep that mantle with Edge and King singled out at times as well.

I hate the term scapegoats, if guys are being critical of players its for genuine reasons and not just for the sake of it

Charlie arab
14-08-2017, 05:31 PM
Yeah seen that pity he wasn't at Utd with a shirt like that, may 83

Logie_Arab
14-08-2017, 05:36 PM

That's to mark their cup win.

Whitfieldarab
14-08-2017, 05:47 PM
If Quinn is another right sided defender, then i hope he is as good as Scobbie at covering on the wrong side of defense!

Other than that, i dont think Edge has done as bad as people think. He is part of the reason that Durnan improved like he did last season and maybe its Durnan improving even more making Edge look bad. I also think that having Scobbie who is better than some along with a maked improvement in Robson, then Edge is maybe at the same level and other have gone past him.

A wummin behind me at Saturday's game was going absolutely ballistic when Fraser was preparing to come on, she was shouting and swearing at him. Her pus was shut when he scored the winner though.

I'm quite happy for Edge to partner Durnan just now but it's all about form and he'll know there are other players breathing down his neck to take his place. Last season he didn't.

SmedDUm
14-08-2017, 09:08 PM

Purely the timing in getting Donaldson's number, there's no other significance.

TerryTheTerror
15-08-2017, 08:41 AM
I hate the term scapegoats, if guys are being critical of players its for genuine reasons and not just for the sake of it

Most of the time you are right but it's not always the case, for sure. For example Si Murray was a player that got criticised unnecessarily, IMHO.

SmedDUm
15-08-2017, 09:24 AM
Sad to say that these days your average fan seems to need a player in the team they support to condemn then ridicule even which is worse. It seems to be necessary, it seems to keep the average fan going.
Graham, Daly, Dillon, Donaldson & Toshney were/are examples and it wasn't so long ago that Durnan was portrayed as a tangerine wheelie bin.
Danger that William seems to be creeping into the role just now.

shedboy71
15-08-2017, 09:44 AM
Dont think there is any real criticism (the odd comment i suppose). Also dont think he is as bad just now. Seems to be struggling a bit on pace of game but to be honest i think if we could get the cover in front of the CDs sorted a bit better we wouldnt lose goals like we did Saturday as much. Edge will be fine for us this season although he now has competition.

RazzP83
15-08-2017, 12:49 PM
Sad to say that these days your average fan seems to need a player in the team they support to condemn then ridicule even which is worse. It seems to be necessary, it seems to keep the average fan going.
Graham, Daly, Dillon, Donaldson & Toshney were/are examples and it wasn't so long ago that Durnan was portrayed as a tangerine wheelie bin.
Danger that William seems to be creeping into the role just now.

Daly a scapegoat? Take away first few games was a hero at United.

Donaldson & toshney are 2 of the worst players in my 30 years to have pulled on the jersey. absolute garbage.

Dillon was a year too long at the club as first team player and his failings then attracted criticism.

Graham I agree got a raw deal.

Edge was good first 6 months then his form has slipped big time, I cannot imagine Paul Quinn was signed as a squad player hence give him a chance.

Its a messageboard, fans criticising players is not making them a scapegoat.

TerryTheTerror
15-08-2017, 12:54 PM
Craig Conway was immense for us but what's he known as? He took more than a little abuse in his first couple of years at Tannadice. That's the type of thing we are talking about here.

SmedDUm
15-08-2017, 01:37 PM
Daly a scapegoat? Take away first few games was a hero at United.

Donaldson & toshney are 2 of the worst players in my 30 years to have pulled on the jersey. absolute garbage.

Dillon was a year too long at the club as first team player and his failings then attracted criticism.

Graham I agree got a raw deal.

Edge was good first 6 months then his form has slipped big time, I cannot imagine Paul Quinn was signed as a squad player hence give him a chance.

Its a messageboard, fans criticising players is not making them a scapegoat.

There's criticising & there's criticising.
Donaldson went from Livi to QPR for £150k after a week's trial under Harry Redknapp. He must have thought all his birthdays had come at once. He did not hit it off there and didn't prosper with us either under three management changes but maybe his career will take an upward turn from now.
That's my take on it as a Dundee United supporter.
Your take on it - 'one of the worst players in my 30 years to pull on the jersey - absolute garbage'.

Players read the forums & must develop a sense of humour & a very thick skin.

RazzP83
15-08-2017, 02:30 PM
I wish the lad all the best with his career, he did however play 44 games for United where he proved himself to be an absolute bombscare of a defender.

Otm_Shank
15-08-2017, 03:53 PM
Craig Conway was immense for us but what's he known as? He took more than a little abuse in his first couple of years at Tannadice. That's the type of thing we are talking about here.

We moved our season ticket seat because we were next to a guy who slaughtered Conway every game. He scored once and he went "feck sake what is he doing up there?!" Unreal

Charlie arab
15-08-2017, 04:01 PM
RazzP83,Daly was definitely a target for the boo boys where I sat in GF, it used to piss me off big time. What would you give now for the big man in his prime, he's just the type we need.

GUNBOAT
16-08-2017, 10:15 PM
Anyone who thinks he is doing a good job as the leader of our defence has never played the game,last season when we were playing awful v Ayr and Dumbarton etc etc his partnership with Durnan earned us points we never deserved but in the latter part of the campaign until now he has been a bombscare.
In the derby last week he cost us the game and QOS ran rings round him on Saturday,i have always said his 2 year extension is a year too many.

TerryTheTerror
17-08-2017, 05:44 AM
QotS ran rings around him? That's just made up nonsense I'm afraid, even their goal was nothing to do with him.

shedboy71
17-08-2017, 06:43 AM
He isnt hitting the performances of first two months granted but i think some of the criticism is probably down to him getting a two year deal and he isnt going to be a regular in premier.

Wasnt his fault at goal was lack of def mid in that gap so they were out of position.

Agree Quinn may come in for him at some point but he actually looks slower.

Quite like the fact we have options

RazzP83
17-08-2017, 02:10 PM
If someone is not playing well, and we have decent backup, drop them and give someone a chance to stake a claim for a place.

He has been poor start of season and end of last season.

Rest of team looking good so why not give Quinn a shot? A guy who has been playing at a level above our league his entire career would not sign to warm the bench.

Whitfieldarab
17-08-2017, 03:45 PM
QotS ran rings around him? That's just made up nonsense I'm afraid, even their goal was nothing to do with him.

Their goal came from a poor header out from Stanton did it not?

Chick A Saw
17-08-2017, 03:53 PM
Their goal came from a poor header out from Stanton did it not?

..then not winning the second ball and Fyvie getting caught cold by who he was marking! However, it wasnt exactly a well worked goal in the end as the ball pin balled between the 2 Queens before landing at the guys foot. In the end having been a fair bit away from the ball, Edge was probably the one who ended up closest to the ball in his attempt to make a block.

dundeeunitedfc83
17-08-2017, 09:12 PM
Off on a massive tangent here but see edge is expecting a wee one