PDA

View Full Version : O/T Speeding

keldsyke
14-08-2017, 07:19 PM
I guess at first I was one of those that thought speed camera vans etc were just a money spinner. But now the amount of people that speed excessively is really noticeable, I'm talking people doing 40/50/60 plus in 30's. I was on the embankment today and the speed some were going at in what is a 20 was unbelievable. Never thought I'd say this but perhaps more average speed cameras maybe better?

JoePass
14-08-2017, 07:28 PM
I guess at first I was one of those that thought speed camera vans etc were just a money spinner. But now the amount of people that speed excessively is really noticeable, I'm talking people doing 40/50/60 plus in 30's. I was on the embankment today and the speed some were going at in what is a 20 was unbelievable. Never thought I'd say this but perhaps more average speed cameras maybe better?

I live in Moorgreen on the B600, its 30mph. The assholes that drive past are doing loads more than this. However, my MP Anna Souberry is sorting it out. So it will be a F1 speed track.

Elite_Pie
14-08-2017, 07:30 PM
However, my MP Anna Souberry is sorting it out. So it will be a F1 speed track.

Are you moaning about the woman you voted in?

Her name is Anna Soubry by the way.

Trickytreesreds
14-08-2017, 08:19 PM
I would agree that speeding is a problem.
I have observed, many motor cycles lately without even number plates on.
I would also comment, on how much the police pump resources into speed vans, yet cannot be bothered to come to your house when burgled.

JoePass
14-08-2017, 08:25 PM
Are you moaning about the woman you voted in?

Her name is Anna Soubry by the way.

I prefer my spelling, however, I suppose she is miles better than that Marxist loving Venezuela loving imbecile Steptoe.

Each to their own duck.

Trickytreesreds
14-08-2017, 08:29 PM
I prefer my spelling, however, I suppose she is miles better than that Marxist loving Venezuela loving imbecile Steptoe.

Each to their own duck.

I drive through Moorgreen Monday to Friday. The roads are absolute ****e
Soubry needs sacking

queenslandpie
14-08-2017, 08:41 PM
Soubry needs sacking

Unfortunately there is no evidence that the punishment ( monetary fines in most cases) does not stop repeat offences of speeding. I got done on the weekend as it goes doing 60 KM/H in a 50 zone that I thought was a 60 zone. I was speeding and I got done. Will it stop me again? Probably not as I actually thought I was in a 60 zone. It was an accident everyone does it now and again I just got caught by the revenue raisers. So there is no other way you can look at a lot of it other than revenue raising I am afraid. If the absolute intent is to slow people down and stop speeding / accidents by fining people it doesn't work. When I lived in Notts and they had the first cameras coming in off the M1 I spent so much time looking up at the cameras and checking my speed I nearly had accidents as I wasn't concentrating on the bloody road. Pay the chavs less dole and stop hitting people with money you pricks!

Jeekay56
14-08-2017, 08:50 PM

I must admit that when I clicked on this thread I thought you were going to be whinging about being caught speeding.

I agree with you. I live on a road designated a 20mph area, I can understand people mistaking the miniscule 20mph signs for 50mph.:P I don't know whether the speeding has worsened since the 20mph limit was brought in, but it seems like it. I'd prefer to see proper traffic calming measures installed, but of course that won't happen.

keldsyke
14-08-2017, 09:04 PM
Unfortunately there is no evidence that the punishment ( monetary fines in most cases) does not stop repeat offences of speeding. I got done on the weekend as it goes doing 60 KM/H in a 50 zone that I thought was a 60 zone. I was speeding and I got done. Will it stop me again? Probably not as I actually thought I was in a 60 zone. It was an accident everyone does it now and again I just got caught by the revenue raisers. So there is no other way you can look at a lot of it other than revenue raising I am afraid. If the absolute intent is to slow people down and stop speeding / accidents by fining people it doesn't work. When I lived in Notts and they had the first cameras coming in off the M1 I spent so much time looking up at the cameras and checking my speed I nearly had accidents as I wasn't concentrating on the bloody road. Pay the chavs less dole and stop hitting people with money you pricks!

I think you're missing my point, we all creep over, I've been on a speed awareness course and have 3 points as well. But there's an element that just ignore the signs and drive excessively driving knowing that they are doing possibly 20mph+ the limit. I never thought I'd say it but with the less police on the roads average speed cameras maybe the answer.

them0uf
14-08-2017, 09:08 PM
Speeding in residential areas is a problem, as is just not knowing the rules of the road.

I do wonder whether part of the problem with speeding is a lack of respect for the limit itself. In my view 70mph is far too low on motorways, where 90mph would be reasonable. The trouble with 70 being so obviously low is that other, more pertinent, limits (20 or 30 in residential areas) are routinely ignored in the same way.

And don't get me started on mothers' (and some fathers) parking during the school run. Okay, clamping would leave the car dangerously parked but it wouldn't be dangerous tomorrow. Or the day after. (Or after that if they crushed it.)

sidders
14-08-2017, 09:33 PM

Grrrrr... people don't come in 'amounts', Keldsyke, they come in 'numbers'. Whilst you may think this is a small pedantic point, I believe it's indicative of a mentality that lumps people together and puts up two fingers to their individuality. We don't want the politicians to treat us all as an 'amount' , do we now?

keldsyke
14-08-2017, 09:39 PM
Grrrrr... people don't come in 'amounts', Keldsyke, they come in 'numbers'. Whilst you may think this is a small pedantic point, I believe it's indicative of a mentality that lumps people together and puts up two fingers to their individuality. We don't want the politicians to treat us all as an 'amount' , do we now?

So you come on here and ruin another thread with grammar ****e. Unfortunately my Profanisaurus sez different. Get a life, and contribute something worthwhile.

PedroTheFisherman66
15-08-2017, 12:37 AM

These people that were speeding well over the designated limit, how many of them actually had an accident , caused an accident or were involved in any way, shape or form in an accident ?
I have a sneaky feeling not one person speeding in that area caused or even looked like causing an accident.
Let people drive to the conditions and I think drivers will monitor there own safe limits as required.
Possibly even boy racers included !

keldsyke
15-08-2017, 05:17 AM
The board stoops even lower, of all the stupid posts on this board that must be the most stupid ever.

I'm guessing you don't know a family that's been affected by losing a family member through someone speeding.

navypie
15-08-2017, 05:28 AM
These people that were speeding well over the designated limit, how many of them actually had an accident , caused an accident or were involved in any way, shape or form in an accident ?
I have a sneaky feeling not one person speeding in that area caused or even looked like causing an accident.
Let people drive to the conditions and I think drivers will monitor there own safe limits as required.
Possibly even boy racers included !

I suppose your one of those who think using a mobile phone whilst driving is acceptable .

PedroTheFisherman66
15-08-2017, 06:19 AM
I suppose your one of those who think using a mobile phone whilst driving is acceptable .
I don't think drink driving or driving whilst on the phone is acceptable as they are hindering their ability to drive, however I do believe people are quite capable of driving a car at 30,40,50,60,70 ,80 mph etc. without having an accident if they drive to correctly to the conditions and their environment.
I don't think for example a person doing 80mph on a motorway that is clear of traffic and sunny is a danger to anyone !

navypie
15-08-2017, 06:50 AM
I don't think drink driving or driving whilst on the phone is acceptable as they are hindering their ability to drive, however I do believe people are quite capable of driving a car at 30,40,50,60,70 ,80 mph etc. without having an accident if they drive to correctly to the conditions and their environment.
I don't think for example a person doing 80mph on a motorway that is clear of traffic and sunny is a danger to anyone !

Good luck trying to police that !

keldsyke
15-08-2017, 06:59 AM

So you're changing your story from your original ridiculous post?

crazyfists
15-08-2017, 09:42 AM

Whether they believe they can drive safely over the speed limit or not, it doesn't alter the fact that if a kid runs out infront of them their stopping distance is greatly increased. Also everyone thinks they're an amazing driver and every road incident they're involved in is "someone else's fault" so yes they may think they can drive well over the speed limit when infact they're a danger to everyone around them.

Your post is one a clown may write.

navypie
15-08-2017, 10:31 AM

I don't like engaging in personnel insults Pedro but this along with your first post is rather silly . I probably have read earlier posts ( but cant be bothered to trawl through this site to look ) from you and would really hope this is a one off .

sidders
15-08-2017, 10:35 AM
So you come on here and ruin another thread with grammar ****e. Unfortunately my Profanisaurus sez different. Get a life, and contribute something worthwhile.

Then your Profanisaurus is wrong! Do you even understand what my post was saying?
I'll tell you a true story about what would be effective in stopping speeding.
Many moons ago I went for a training run down the local Forge Valley. It's quite dangerous territory because there is no discernible footpath and motorists pay little heed to the 40 mph limit on a twisting country road.
A guy passed me doing about 70. I heard an horrendous squealing of tyres and a loud thump round the next corner. I put on a spurt to find a large deer in its death throes beneath the guy's front wheels. It was making a soul-destroying noise and twitching in its dying moments. The driver was sitting next to it by the roadside. He was in pieces and it wasn't because of the state of his car.
So you see, Queenie, Pedro and others who think speed limits are for ***** drivers, the moral in driving as in life itself is this: you never know what's round the next corner.

PedroTheFisherman66
15-08-2017, 11:58 PM
So you're changing your story from your original ridiculous post?

no ...............
and like I say its about driving to the conditions and environment.
is it life threatening and dangerous to be doing 45 in a 40 area where there is no traffic and the weather is sunny yet you get a ticket for speeding.
its pure myth that speeding cameras are there to prevent accidents , they are there to make money.
I would say the majority of places where mobile speed camera's are placed are there to catch people speeding to generate cash , not to stop an accident , as these places do not seem to be accident black spots !!!

Take my quotes out of context if you like but I am on about normal ever day roads away from schools and built up areas where the authorities milk the motorist for all they can.
and while where at it , what is wrong driving 30mph in a 20 area when there is no one about ....?
when I drive I observe the area around me so I can see if things are potentially hazardous or not !!! and stop if needed !!

queenslandpie
16-08-2017, 12:46 AM
I think you're missing my point, we all creep over, I've been on a speed awareness course and have 3 points as well. But there's an element that just ignore the signs and drive excessively driving knowing that they are doing possibly 20mph+ the limit. I never thought I'd say it but with the less police on the roads average speed cameras maybe the answer.

UK roads are a lot more congested in the main than on here. In some parts of Australia ( NT) on regional roads there isnt even a speed limit. I guess yes it may work there but I doubt it. It may slow people down but are there more effective ways to save lives? The easiest way is to put a speed limiter on every car if you want to slow people down. If the cars cant go faster than the speed limit they cant speed and there is no need for enforcement. Problem solved again by QP!

keldsyke
16-08-2017, 05:06 AM
no ...............
and like I say its about driving to the conditions and environment.
is it life threatening and dangerous to be doing 45 in a 40 area where there is no traffic and the weather is sunny yet you get a ticket for speeding.
its pure myth that speeding cameras are there to prevent accidents , they are there to make money.
I would say the majority of places where mobile speed camera's are placed are there to catch people speeding to generate cash , not to stop an accident , as these places do not seem to be accident black spots !!!

Take my quotes out of context if you like but I am on about normal ever day roads away from schools and built up areas where the authorities milk the motorist for all they can.
and while where at it , what is wrong driving 30mph in a 20 area when there is no one about ....?
when I drive I observe the area around me so I can see if things are potentially hazardous or not !!! and stop if needed !!

You're changing your story again, how do you know nobody is about? As said before a child runs out you're doing well in excess of what you should be, you're braking distance goes up.

People speeding in built up areas is a big problem.

PedroTheFisherman66
16-08-2017, 05:15 AM
You're changing your story again, how do you know nobody is about? As said before a child runs out you're doing well in excess of what you should be, you're braking distance goes up.

People speeding in built up areas is a big problem.

I have eyes ..
in forty years of driving I have only had 23 accidents and off them only eleven of those were my fault.
I make that less than 50% of them were my fault, and that also more than a year at a time on average without having a crash so I can say with great authority that I am a good driver , it shows others do not watch the road the conditions and environment as they should.
This also includes pedestrians !

queenslandpie
16-08-2017, 05:29 AM
I have eyes ..
in forty years of driving I have only had 23 accidents and off them only eleven of those were my fault.
I make that less than 50% of them were my fault, and that also more than a year at a time on average without having a crash so I can say with great authority that I am a good driver , it shows others do not watch the road the conditions and environment as they should.

11 accidents in 40 years is shocking. I've had 2 at fault accidents in 22 years. Both of them extremely minor and not speed related.

keldsyke
16-08-2017, 06:05 AM
I have eyes ..

23 accidents 😳😳😳 is this post a wind up??

Old_pie
16-08-2017, 06:23 AM
I have eyes ..

Please let me know what area you drive in and at what times and I'll ensure I'm somewhere else.

navypie
16-08-2017, 07:52 AM
Please let me know what area you drive in and at what times and I'll ensure I'm somewhere else.

Sounds like you wouldn't see him coming wherever you where , whoosh...............

MAD_MAGPIE
16-08-2017, 12:43 PM
Speeding in residential areas is a problem, as is just not knowing the rules of the road.

I do wonder whether part of the problem with speeding is a lack of respect for the limit itself. In my view 70mph is far too low on motorways, where 90mph would be reasonable. The trouble with 70 being so obviously low is that other, more pertinent, limits (20 or 30 in residential areas) are routinely ignored in the same way.

And don't get me started on mothers' (and some fathers) parking during the school run. Okay, clamping would leave the car dangerously parked but it wouldn't be dangerous tomorrow. Or the day after. (Or after that if they crushed it.)

People that speed in residential areas deserve all the punishment they get. However our speed limits on motorways and dual carriageways are outdated. The 70mph was introduced for the Motorways at the end of 1965 so we are talking 53 years ago. Look at the cars that were made all that time ago and compare them to the cars of today. In comparison you could argue that a car built in 2017 compared to one built in 1965 could probably stop and react at 100mph the same or more compared to the one built in 1965 at 70mph. I believe the limit is kept down because high speeds are deemed anti social in this country and also because of the environment. In Germany they seem to take a view that the quicker you can get to your destination the more efficient the country moves hence the Autobahns with an 81mph limit or no general limit.

Driving fast is not always as dangerous as it is perceived. Planes fly above us at 500mph with no problems. What causes a lot of accidents and deaths on the roads is careless, wreckless, dangerous and irresponsible driving which speed is not the only factor.

crazyfists
16-08-2017, 06:31 PM
Ha ha sorry pedro mate but saying you've been in 23 accidents as a way to say you're a good driver is hilarious. I just asked our lass as a yard stick and she's had 2 accidents in 12 years whereas you'd have had 6 in that time.

With all due respect I'd say you're a worse driver than you'd care to admit.

keldsyke
16-08-2017, 07:28 PM
Ha ha sorry pedro mate but saying you've been in 23 accidents as a way to say you're a good driver is hilarious. I just asked our lass as a yard stick and she's had 2 accidents in 12 years whereas you'd have had 6 in that time.

With all due respect I'd say you're a worse driver than you'd care to admit.

I think it's a wind up

JoePass
16-08-2017, 07:40 PM
Soubry needs sacking

Call in and see me Tricky. I live opposite the garden centre. There is a 10% discount for red backs on drinks.

sidders
16-08-2017, 09:59 PM
Call in and see me Tricky. I live opposite the garden centre. There is a 10% discount for red backs on drinks.

Does redbacks include Labour supporters too?

i961pie
16-08-2017, 11:22 PM
I have eyes ..

It's the way you tell em;D only 23 accidents;D

60YearsAPie
17-08-2017, 09:55 AM
I have eyes ..

Brilliant post. One of the funniest I've seen on here this year.

tarquinbeech
17-08-2017, 04:44 PM
I have eyes ..

Superb Angling my fishy friend.......I find floating bread often gets a nibble but tuttie-fruitie flavoured pellets get the best runs.

Wedgie_pie
17-08-2017, 04:54 PM
I have eyes ..

Brilliant post. One of the funniest I've seen on here this year.

You are easily pleased then mate....you should have been around when his Lordship was still with us....God Bless Him

JoePass
17-08-2017, 05:31 PM
Does redbacks include Labour supporters too?

If I had meant Labour I would have said anti-British Marxists are not allowed. I understand you can get a cheap drink in Venezuela ;D

irish_pie
17-08-2017, 09:51 PM

You must take a trip over here and see how bad it is!!! Speeding is a shocking problem here and no amount of speeding cameras are sorting it out, but the main problem here is the fact people don't use their lights or especially indicators no matter what time of day or night it is... and the Garda (police) over here... they are f@@king laughable, about as useful as a chocolate fireguard!!!

dam617
17-08-2017, 11:54 PM
You must take a trip over here and see how bad it is!!! Speeding is a shocking problem here and no amount of speeding cameras are sorting it out, but the main problem here is the fact people don't use their lights or especially indicators no matter what time of day or night it is... and the Garda (police) over here... they are f@@king laughable, about as useful as a chocolate fireguard!!!
If the speed cameras aren't sorting it out its because no ****er registers their cars properly and they have a driving licence with Krusty The Clown's pcture on it.

In my line of work the Irish plated trucks are renowned for being driven by maniacs.
Think about this when you get overtaken by one on the M6

kill_the_drum
18-08-2017, 05:35 PM
I have eyes ..

This wins post of the year hands down!

sidders
19-08-2017, 10:59 AM
If I had meant Labour I would have said anti-British Marxists are not allowed. I understand you can get a cheap drink in Venezuela ;D

It took me months to get off petrol so there's no chance I'm going back there...