PDA

View Full Version : Electric cars any experience

oldcolner
14-08-2017, 10:59 PM
My grandson told me his dream car was a Tesla. Saw one at the supermarket and it just has two screens no knobs or bear sticks and a boot front and back. Have been looking at them and am impressed at the range, and a speed 0-60 in 3 secs is possible. They are self driving and self parking in some locations.
So far they are beyond my price range, but they are delivering a mid range car in the Mercedes price range in the US.
I wonder about charging and saw in VW garage a charger costs £1200 and can give you 30 miles per hour of charging. A full charge costs £5.
Tesla are offering 300 mile batteries and an advanced battery is on the way.
Maybe it's time to start looking at them seriously. Anyone taken the plunge? (Probably need to be in the first team ??)

Altobelli
14-08-2017, 11:06 PM
Not driven one before but been in a few cabs in Blackpool, Colchester and London, all the drivers said they are well worth the money and are saving a packet with chargers all over the place, but they were cab drivers so I suppose they would be saving money, they sound quiet but odd to me.

Turfmoorspirit
14-08-2017, 11:12 PM
Not for me ! Its too soon. I will wait a few years until proven,hybrids included.. Until then i will stick to my trusty diesel for daily use and my ugly vintage petrol drop top for summer.

The Bedlington Terrier
15-08-2017, 06:12 AM
Before Trump and whoflungdung drop a nuclear warhead on my tin lid, I'm buying that petrol driven Porsche I've always wanted.

Phook the electric...Vroom, Vroom!

army88
15-08-2017, 06:53 AM
My grandson told me his dream car was a Tesla. Saw one at the supermarket and it just has two screens no knobs or bear sticks and a boot front and back. Have been looking at them and am impressed at the range, and a speed 0-60 in 3 secs is possible. They are self driving and self parking in some locations.
So far they are beyond my price range, but they are delivering a mid range car in the Mercedes price range in the US.
I wonder about charging and saw in VW garage a charger costs £1200 and can give you 30 miles per hour of charging. A full charge costs £5.
Tesla are offering 300 mile batteries and an advanced battery is on the way.
Maybe it's time to start looking at them seriously. Anyone taken the plunge? (Probably need to be in the first team ??)

The change is coming Bt , the trusty petrol - diesel will be either taxed to the hilt or removed from service quicker than we think. ( especially older in efficient models)

Tesla are at the forefront I think with battery life and distances covered, every new build house has to have a charging facility in the cities now ( council lads I deal with say it's happening - as supplies have had to be considered for peak times maximum demand on electric - Ie you get home from work plug your car in )
It's a no brainier really it's definitely coming to us , it's just a question of time.

oldcolner
15-08-2017, 07:09 AM
The change is coming Bt , the trusty petrol - diesel will be either taxed to the hilt or removed from service quicker than we think. ( especially older in efficient models)

Tesla are at the forefront I think with battery life and distances covered, every new build house has to have a charging facility in the cities now ( council lads I deal with say it's happening - as supplies have had to be considered for peak times maximum demand on electric - Ie you get home from work plug your car in )
It's a no brainier really it's definitely coming to us , it's just a question of time.

The Guardian seems to agree army
Tesla offer super chargers that top you up in an. Hour or so at a few locations. Use of these is free for the dearer models but not for the new model 3

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/aug/06/car-is-dead-long-live-car-tesla-elon-musk

What about a power cut or strike though?
Watched a video of someone who left their Tesla car in an airport car park with 30 miles charge only to find the battery flat when they got back as it uses power when switched off!

Presume the army will need to stay on fuel?

sinkov
15-08-2017, 08:06 AM
No doubt they're the future, but until the technology vastly improves I'm not in the least bit interested. Someone else can be the guinea pig, suffer all the teething problems, but it won't be me.

I've only just got round to a battery driven lawn mower, and I love it, but 20 minutes in the garden is one thing, the car will have to wait.

nutsinmay
15-08-2017, 08:08 AM
If you live in a second floor apartment with no garaging, where do you plug it in?

Usual story of the 'haves' getting more, and the 'have nots' less.

Altobelli
15-08-2017, 12:49 PM
If you live in a second floor apartment with no garaging, where do you plug it in?

At least they will have a view.........

oldcolner
15-08-2017, 11:39 PM
Now how many on here have an INSANE mode.

Well Tesla has - you just push the button

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jNXWQRKcJn8

Altobelli
16-08-2017, 12:15 AM
Very good Colner, this one is good also.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4JXAG-soFs

Norder
16-08-2017, 01:21 AM

I think....that's covered under somewhere under Ruling 66/33.0-2D of the Machine Laws - nuts.

As the Electric supply is unable to cope with the many simultaneous loads of high consumption requested of it - each Sector will be allocated a fixed level of power, to be (unless ruled otherwise) distributed evenly amongst it's occupants - though it is to be noted that the Party reserves the right to reduce those fixed supplied amounts at any time and without notice. Also if it is seen that a Citizen has consumed more power than is allocated...or that he/she or others consumption has risen without authorization - or that any person left their designated sector and entered another without the written authority of their sector and the visited sector commander together with the multi sector controllers - then a reduction of power by no less than 50% will be enforced on the total offending zone - the distance of which will be decided by the regulator of transgressions.

etc - etc.

...wow - think we'll go back to horses !

;D

Altobelli
16-08-2017, 01:47 AM
Somehow I think you'd be bored if we went back to horses Norder B)

Altobelli
16-08-2017, 01:52 AM
So Oil is quickly running out and we are "progressing" on electric which is also a declining commodity, brilliant.

army88
16-08-2017, 06:32 AM
So Oil is quickly running out and we are "progressing" on electric which is also a declining commodity, brilliant.

Bang on that Alto , but come on you don't really think they haven't got a Hydrogen or different energy alternative already waiting in the wings for when they have sold and milked this one to death.

I've given up bothering because we may as well accept it , as they say taxes and death are in avoidable and all the lies and drivel in between as well now.

The Bedlington Terrier
16-08-2017, 07:20 AM
The daft thing is we already have the technology available to fuel the planet from the sun but where is the profit for the neoliberalism paradigm in that?

nutsinmay
16-08-2017, 07:42 AM
Somehow I think you'd be bored if we went back to horses Norder B)

Not if he was a Bastids fan

oldcolner
16-08-2017, 09:12 AM
Alto - funny. Night mode!

oldcolner
16-08-2017, 10:11 AM
Now how about hands free driving - how will the police look at this??

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=o-e3bTKbv3E

sinkov
16-08-2017, 12:58 PM

Shame on you Nuts, bringing a dose of reality and common sense into the eco-loons fantasy land. If they could fix a windmill, (go on then I'll be polite, a wind turbine) to the roof of every electric car, would that solve the problem ? Maybe it would, except for those living near a low bridge.

Turfmoorspirit
16-08-2017, 01:12 PM
Very good Colner, this one is good also.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4JXAG-soFs An oldie, always gives me a little chuckle..https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oj3Z_UlSAvM